|Notes for Rachel Matilda Davis|
|According to her statement in her Confederate Widows pension application, Rachel George had lived in texas for 65 years. Since the application was dated 19 November 1930, her family had moved to texas about 1865. Rachel stated that she had lived at her current address for 48 years, which indicates that the home was built about 1882.|
|Notes for John Chowning (Spouse 1)|
John Chowning George was born in Warren County, Kentucky 20 Sept. 1830 according to family records. The month and year of his birth are confirmed by the record of the 1900 census.69 His parents were Alfred and Elizabeth [Chowning] George. This is confirmed by an 1837 court order in Bouron County, Kentucky which gave Elizabeth George guardianship over her minor children and named Alfred George as the father of the children.
"1837 September 4th Ordered that Elizabeth George be appointed Guardian of James D, Mary J, Theophilus, Lucy Ann, William H, John C and Alfred A George orphans of Alfred George deceased who with William Chowning and Willm Heart her securities executed bond in the penalty; of Twenty Five Hundred dollars conditioned agreeably to law."70
According to family records Alfred George and Ellizabeth Chowning were married 20th Feb. 1820. The newly married couple must have traveled to Warren County soon thereafter. The 1820 Warren County Census records Alfred George between the ages of 26 and 45 which accords with family records of his birthdate of 1789. Elizabeth George is recorded in the census as being between the ages of 16 and 26 which accords with the birthdate of 1799 from family records.60
There is a record of the Alfred George family in Warren County, Kentucky in the 1830 census. The boy under 5 would be Wiliam Harrison born in 2 Jan. 1829. The two sons born between 1825 and 1830 are something of a mystery. We have the record of birth of Theophilus Clay in 1825 but not of another son during that time period. James Dudley would be the son listed between 10 and 15 because, according to family records, he was born in 1821. Mary Jane, born 1823 would be the daughter listed as between 5 and 10 and Lucy Ann, born 1827, would be the daughter isted as under 5.62
A brief history of Warren County gives the following description:
"The topography of Warren County is undulating, with some expanses of level land. The soil is fertile and produces tobacco, corn, and hay. Warren County ranks high in the production of beef and dairy cattle and hogs. The principal streams in Warren County include the Green River, which forms the northern boundary of the county, and its tributaries, the Barren and Gasper rivers, Drake's Creek, Bay's Fork, and Jennings Creek.
Remains of Native American villages and burial mounds have been discovered in some sections of the county. The first pioneers in the area were Long Hunters who came in the 1770s. Gen. Elijah Covington and George and Robert Moore were among the early landowners. One of the earliest settlements was McFadden's Station, established on the north bank of the Barren River at the Cumberland Trace by Andrew McFadden in 1785. The trace, an important artery for development of the region, connected the Barren River settlements with the Cumberland River settlement of Nashville to the south, and the Green River settlements to the northeast. Communities were established in rapid succession in the county. Among incorporated communities are Bowling Green, Oakland, Plum Springs, Smith's Grove, and Woodburn.
The rich farmland of Warren County attracted settlers in the closing years of the eighteenth century and the first part of the nineteenth. By the 1830s, the county was well populated and growing steadily, and the river transported goods to market. In the 1830s, a portage railroad was constructed from the Barren River to the site of the present Warren County courthouse in Bowling Green, perhaps the first of its kind built in Kentucky. Warren County thrived on the flourishing riverboat trade in the nineteenth century."
John Chowning George most likely lived on a plot of the rich farmland through 1834 when his father died either by accidnt or illness. He was only four at the time his father died so it is doubtful that he remembered much about him in his later years. John Chowning's mother was appointed his guardian by the Bourbon County, Kentucky Court in 1837 when he was seven years old. His uncle William Chowning along with his uncle William Hart (husband of his aunt Jane [Chowning] Hart]71was surety for his mother.70
In 1850 John George may be listed twice in the Bourbon County census. He is listed, age 20, with his mother and all of his male siblings in the household of his grandmother, Tabitha Chowning. 72 However there is also a John George (age 19) whose occupation is listed as blacksmith living in the hoousehold of Hamilton Haskell whose occupation is also listed as a blacksmith.73 This household is listed just above that of Matilda Batterton -- who is probably related in some way to Benjamin Batterton, husband of Mary Jane [George] Batterton, John Chowning George's sister. The interesting issue here is that John George's occupation in the 1870 census is listed as blacksmith74 and I wondered where he apprenticed. This possible double entry for John George in the Bourbon County, Kentucky 1850 census might provide the answer.
In the 1860 census John C. George, occupation stock raiser, born in Kentucky, age 32 is listed in the household of M. Givens.75 According to the book by William Chowning76 Elizabeth Chowning's sister, Lucinda married a Matthew Givens. Lucinda died in Pendleton County, Kentucky in 1834 and by 1850 Matthew Givens had moved to Lewis County, Missouri.77 It appears that John C. George decided to leave Bourbon County some time between 1850 and 1860 and migrate with his uncle's family to Texas.
CONFEDERATE WAR SERVICE
John C. George enlisted in abt 1861 in Company C Tenth Texas Regiment, Greenburgs' Brigade, Cleburn's Division (Infantry) and was paroled in 1865 because of a wound.
"The records show that John [Chowning] George, Co. C 10th Texas Inf. C.S.A. enlisted Nov. 7, 1861 at Virginia Point [Galveston] age 31. Muster Roll, March and April 1864 (latest on file) show him present, a private. He was a patient at Ladies Hospital, Montgomery, Alabama with variloid not smallpox [variloid was a mild form of smallpox] and is shown present Nov. 15, 1864, a private. Prisoner of War records show that he was captured Jan 11, 1863 at Fort Hindman, Arkansas Post, Arkansas, paaroled at Camp Douglas, Ill., April 1, 1863. Rank and file not stated. No record of later capture or parole found. Adjutant General, Mdajor General C. H. Bridges, Washington D. C." From papers of Evelyn Gatlin (grandaughter of John Chowning George)68
19 September 1864 - Monday (Hospital in Macon, Georgia)
HOSPITAL CLOTHING ISSUE:
* Pvt. John C. George, Co. C, 10th Texas Infantry, age 34, was issued: "1 Jacket, 1 pair and 1 pair Pants" in Ocmulgee Hospital, Macon, Georgia. He had been wounded at Pickett's Mill, Georgia, on May 27th and had been discharged from said hospital on June 5th.
[10th Texas Infantry Compiled Service Records]
Capt. John A. Formwalt, Commanding
[ 1 Killed & 4 Wounded ]
- Pvt. J. Jumore, was killed.
Memphis Daily Appeal - Atlanta, Georgia - June 4, 1864]
- Pvt. John C. George, age 34, was severely wounded.
[Memphis Daily Appeal - Atlanta, Georgia - June 4, 1864]
- Pvt. William M. Morrison, age 23, was severely wounded.
[Memphis Daily Appeal - Atlanta, Georgia - June 4, 1864]
- Pvt. George W. Stephens, age 23, was severely wounded by a "gun shot wound right hand
fracturing the carpal bones and permanently disabeling the hand."
[10th Texas Compiled Service Records & Memphis Appeal - Atlanta, Georgia - June 4, 1864]
- Pvt. Thomas W. Whitsitt, age 27, was slightly wounded.
[Memphis Daily Appeal - Atlanta, Georgia - June 4, 1864]
Weblinks for 10th Texas Infantry
Soldiers' Home Hospital (Montgomery)
Founded, 14 June 1861, by the Ladies' Aid Society of Montgomery. In May 1862, the Home moved to the corner of Bibb and Commerce Streets.
Available records include "A register of patients", Jan 64-April 65, 3 vols., in the Texas Archives at the University of Texas Library, S. H. Stout collection. Located on Dr. and Mrs. Carnot Bellinger's farm south of Montgomery. A "way" or "wayside" hospital, it cared for traveling soldiers and refugees before moving to the city proper in 1862 to become the "Ladies' Hospital."
POST CIVIL WAR
In the 1870 census John C. George was still in Ellis County, Texas. John C. George and Rachil Matilda Davis were married on 6 Oct. 1866. Their first home was adjacent to that of Robert Burton Dais, Rachel's father. Their first daughter is listed as Susannah, age 7 months, on the census although family records indicate that she was Virginia or Jennie Annie. On this census record the occupation of John C. George is listed as a blacksmith.74
It is not certain when the George family moved from Ellis County, but the family was in Palo Pinto County in 1878 when their fourth child and third daughter, Mittie Lou was born. Her birth was preceded by those of Jennie in 1870, William Alfred in 1872, and Bettie Blanche in 1875. Mollie Bertie was born in Nolan County in 1882, Nettie May in 1884, and Johnnie Linn in 1886.54
Sometime after the census was taken in Palo Pinto Couty in 1880 69, the family moved to Nolan County, Texas. According to county histories, the family moved to Hylton [Texas] in 1879, where John George engaged in the cattle business until he sold his herd of cattle in the summer of 1880, and the family moved to Mulberry Canyon [Nolan County, Texas] so the children could attend school. Since they were in Palo Pinto County, Texas, for the 1880 census there may have been some moving back and forth before they finally settled in Nolan County.
The J. C. George family were among the early settlers in Sweetwater [Nolan County, Texas] . Mr. George built the fourth residence in Sweetwater, which residence is still standing and is occupied by members of the family at the present time. Mr. George served three terms as county commissioner, and was one of the commissioners who bitterly opposed the acceptance of the unfortunate courthouse. Later he served several terms as county treasurer, retiring to follow his ranching business, exclusively, which he did until ill health forced him to retire from active business. He died in February, 1937 at the age of 90 years.
Members of his family now living in Sweetwater are his daughters, Mrs. Jennie Beall, Mrs. Bertie Pope, Mrs. E.W. Hopkins, and his sons W. A. George and Johnnie George. Sweetwater Reporter, Pioneer and Progress Edition, 1941.
PIONEER RESIDENT 'UNCLE' BILLY GEORGE, RECOVERING
written by Aileen (Beall) Whaley
William Alfred George, affectionately known as "Uncle Billy" and now in his 89th hear after spending more than 80 years in Nolan County is in Simmons Memorial Hospital recovering from a broken hip.
His family home is at 407 Hickory Street. He came here as a seven-year-old boy with his father, the late J.C. George, and family in 1879 from Palo Pinto County. They mved from Ellis County to West Texas and from Palo Pinto to Nolan County.
They drove in 400 to 500 head of cattle and settled at Hylton, the important center in those days before the building of the T&P railroad. They couldn't find water and grass to keep their cattle going and had to sell most of them.
Uncle Billy attended his first school at Hylton where the teacher was Tom Robard. Later the family moved to the Mulberry Canyon district school at old Dora where the late Henary Beall, pioneer Sweetwater attorney and among the founders of this area, was the teacher.
When the T&P railroad started building through Sweetwate, the George family moved here and built a home of lumber hauled by wagon from Fort Worth. It was built just west of the present Poplar Street, the home of Berta Pope, said to be the fourth oldest house in the area. It was strong, large house with heavy timbers and good lumber.
Uncle Billy was married to Nancy Annie Elizabeth Ford, known today as Aunt Annie. They were married here at the Mack Beall house on East Third Street on Feb. 17, 1897. Aunt Annie is 85 now.
They had several sections of land west of here, including the property where the Gulf Refinery was located. In 1932 they retired and moved into town to their home on Hickory Street.
The Georges had been a pioneer ranching family that stood the tests of the bitter years including the freeze in 1855 [1885?] and the drouth in 1886. They remained here those years when so many settlers leftthe area.
Uncle Billy was a member of the Christian Church here, his mother, Mrs. J. C. George having been one of the first to join after the charter members.
|Last Modified 29 Jan 2006||Created 24 Mar 2006 using Reunion for Macintosh|
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids