Search billions of records on
Back to:
Frisco Clippings
Frisco Papers
Judy's Stuff





#21From Weekly Republican; Thursday 4 Apr 1889; Vol IV #51; published Springfield, Missouri
.Fell From a Flat Car
Sedalia, Mo., March 29 -- Isaac Wright, a bridge machinist from Atchison, Kan., was instantly killed yesterday afternoon three miles west of this city, by falling from a flat car and under the wheels of a moving train. His body was ground into an almost unrecognizable mass.

#22From Springfield Daily Leader; Friday, 12 Sep 1890; published Springfield Missouri
.James Armsby was killed by the cars Tuesday night or Wednesday morning two miles west of Newburg. Deceased had been rafting on the Gasconade.
#23From Daily Republican; Friday 19 Apr 1889; Vol IV #95; published Springfield, Missouri
.A Hero Killed
New York, April 18 -- Patrick McTamney, an old switchman in the Pennsylvania railroad yards at Jersey City, sprang in front of a train yesterday to save the life of a little boy who had wandered upon the track to pick up cinders, and though he succeeded in pushing the child out of danger he fell beneath the wheels himself and was torn to pieces. He leaves a widow and seven children in poor circumstances.
#24From Daily Republican; Friday 19 Apr 1889; Vol IV #95; published Springfield, Missouri
.Fatal Accident
A Brakeman Killed Yesterday on the Memphis Road
About _ o'clock yesterday morning James W. Adams, a brakeman on the Memphis railroad, fell from a _____ car as the train was starting up at the hill west of Ash Grove and his left thigh was horrible mangled by a wheel passing over it. He was brought to this city and taken to a hotel opposite the passenger depot. Drs. Tefft, McClain, ____ and James were summoned, but the wounded man was in ___ ___ a condition to admit of a surgical operation without danger of instant death. (several words illegible)... In the evening his wife arrived from her home in {Fort Smith?}. At 10 o'clock p.m. the patient died without any operation having been performed.
#25From Daily Republican; Thursday 11 Apr 1889; Vol IV #88; published Springfield Missouri
.Killed By a Switch Engine
Kansas City, Mo., April 10 -- George Hayes, a switch tender in the Santa Fe yards, was run over by a switch engine last night, receiving injuries which resulted in death at the Sisters' Hospital shortly before ten o'clock. Both legs were cut off by the wheels and the body was badly lacerated. Hayes leaves a wife who lives in Armourdale. In alighting from an engine Hayes stepped upon a track directly in front of another engine.
#26From Daily Republican; Wednesday 10 Apr 1889; Vol IV #87; published Springfield Missouri
.Coaches Wrecked
Passengers Seriously Injured By an Accident on the B & O at South Chicago
Chicago, April 9 -- As a Baltimore & Ohio passenger train, two hours late, was crossing a series of switches in South Chicago Sunday, the seventh coach was suddenly wrenched loose from its couplings and shot diagonally across the track. The day coach following was thrown from the track and with awful force against a train of .... cars on a side track. The car was torn and smashed into pieces. It was full of people. The forward end of the Pullman sleeper which came next was stove in and the rear car was derailed. James Haffna, of Smith's Basin, N. Y., was found with an iron rod thrust through his head and died shortly afterward. Henry Houk{?}, a farmer of Adamsville, Iowa, had a leg broken in two places and received internal injuries. Among others severely bruised and cut were: Frank Shelson{?}, of Smith's Basin, N. Y.; John H. McDonald, of Antidonish, Nova Scotia; B. O. Rambo, Shelby, O{hio}; H. Straley, Cleveland, O{hio}; John E. Wood, Cuba, N.Y.; Mrs. John E. Wood and Alexander Wood, Cuba, N.Y.; A. Berweig, Cleveland, O{hio}. Several others were slightly hurt.
#27From Daily Republican; Sunday 7 Apr 1889; page 1; Vol IV #85; published Springfield Missouri
.Two Trains Collide
Trinidad, April 6 -- At 4 o'clock this morning two passenger trains, each driven by two engines collided on the Santa Fe railway ten miles south of here as they were rounding a curve. The four engines were thrown in a heap and one of the express cars telescoped. An unknown man, a tramp, riding on the express car was killed and another is missing, supposed to be buried in the wreck. Engineer Joe Hare had an ear torn off and his breast crushed. His recovery is doubtful.
#28From Daily Republican; Tuesday 16 Apr 1889; Vol IV #92; published Springfield Missouri
.A Foot Crushed Off
J. M. Lovingood, a young man aged 20, whose home is at Formosa, ____ county Kansas, but who has been working at Old--, Howard county, met with a _______ at Nichols landing late Sunday. He intended to catch the north bound Memphis road to go to Ash Grove and purchase a ticket. When the train came it proceeded past the depot to get to a side track to allow a freight train to pass. Lovingood, thinking the train was about to leave him, ran and overtook it, in trying to jump on he slipped and fell and a wheel ran over his left foot. Drs. Tefft and McC--- were summoned and amputated his leg above the ankle. The young man departed on the next train for Kansas City.
#29From Arkansas Gazette Nov 16, 1930: Contributed by WendyGayle at aol
.The second fatal railroad crossing accident in and near Little Rock within 24 hours took the life of D.D. Muckleroy, 44 year old dairyman, at 9 yesterday morning. His Dodge truck was demolished by an inbound Missouri Pacific passenger train at the West Tenth street crossing. Surgeons at the Missouri hospital amputated both of Muckleroy's legs soon after the accident. He died at 4 p.m. Muckleroy drove his truck directly into the path of train No. 205 after waiting at the crossing for the passage of outbound passenger train No 5 on an adjoining track. His view of the second train was obscured by the first. William Murphy, Negro, 1113 Jones street, witnessed the accident. Engineer C.S. Seese (sic) applied the brakes as soon as he saw the truck on the tracks, but was too close to stop in time. The impact knocked the truck barely clear of the tracks, but Muckleroy was hurled to the ground several yards away. Both legs were crushed. The train stopped a short distance north of the crossing and a P.H. Rubel & Co. ambulance was called to take the victim to the Missouri Pacific hospital. Muckleroy lived on R.F. D. No. 3. He was driving east on Tenth street with a delivery of milk at the time of the accident.

Arkansas Gazette Nov 17, 1930

D.D. Muckleroy: Funeral services for D.D. Muckleroy, aged 44, who was injured fatally when his truck was struck by a Missouri Pacific passenger train at Tenth and Railroad streets Saturday morning, will be held at 3 p.m. today at Summitt cemetery in charge of the Rev. G.H. Brown. The cortege will leave the family home, 3122 Payton street, at 1:30 for the cemetery, which is near Benton on the Bauxite highway. Pallbearers will be: Walter Martin, E.F. Smith, Henry Martin, A.M. Wilkerson, W.L. Dolton and Harvey Boyd. Burial will be in charge of P.H. Ruebel & Co.
#30From the Lawrence Chieftain (Lawrence County Missouri), Mt. Vernon, Missouri, Thursday, October 22, 1931; reprinted from Crane Chronicle.
.A local train crew came almost near deserting their train and turning it over to a bumblebee crew, Friday afternoon of last week, when a nest of them were plowed up by a ditcher working on the road between this city and Bonham.
Engineer Sam Wood and fireman O. M. Byler were the first to be assailed by the angry bees and they hastened to fasten all windows, ventilators, and to drop the back curtain on their locomotive.
In some way news of the attack was also "grapevined" to the caboose, where conductor George Pinkly and brakeman John Williams and Wade Flynn were riding, who followed the example set by the engine crew, and fastened down all openings into the caboose.
The ditcher, which travels in front of the locomotive, plowed the nest of stingers from the road's embankment and scattering the angry insects to the four winds. Naturally the locomotive was the closest thing to them and massing for attack, and never considering size, they attacked it but the engin crew was too fast for them, and no casualties were reported.
Mr. Wood said that just a day or two before that the ditcher disturbed a nest of hornets and that crew had to seek protection from their attack.
#31Various clippings; submitted by Dorothy
Sunday Morning, December 9, 1888--REPUBLICAN -p.261

Conductor WALTER WHITE died at the home of his parents and was buried in Maple Park Cemetery.

SPRINGFIELD LEADER, Friday Evening, December 7, 1888--LEADER p. 260

Mr. G. W. White, 29, 957 Boonville street, died last night. To be buried in Maple Park cemetery. He was unmarried, a freight conductor, and a native of Springfield.

[The ABOVE was my great uncle George Walter White.]

Jefferson City sent me this notice with the remark "We could not get a good copy from the Springfield Leader, Dec. 7, 1888". Our microfilm copy was missing the Sunday paper, December 9, 1888.

"Died- Mr. G.W. White residing at 957 Boonville Street, died last night of lung disease, age 29 years. He was unmarried, a native of Springfield, was conductor on a Frisco freight train and the remains will be interred in Maple Park cemetery 3 o'clock Saturday afternoon."

These notices are for another gr. uncle of mine.

Where the funerals of the wreck victims will be held: Springfield Republican, October 3, 1903.- pg. 72

Page 2: Ernest White, killed in a train wreck October 1, is to be buried in Maple Park Cemetery.

Springfield Republican. Oct. 3, 1903, page 2. Col 1.

Fireman Ernest White--Services Tuesday afternoon at the family residence 1058 East Commercial Street. Burial in Maple Park Cemetery. His life was insured for $1,000.
At 2 o'clock this afternoon the funeral of Engineer Brandt McQuiston will take place at the residence of A.R. Lee 501 West Walnut Street. The remains will be buried in Maple Park cemetery. The deceased was insured in the Royay Arcanqu(Sp?) for $2000.
The remains of fireman John Tune were shiped to Brandville, Mo., his former for burial..

Springfield, MO. Newspaper Abstacts 1903:

Page 2: Four killed October 1 in a train wreck near Thayer: Brandt McQuiston, Ernest H. White, 28 (to be buried in Maple Park cemetery), John Finch (a married man) and John M. Tune, 27 (to be buried at Brandsville, Howell county). McQuiston was a relative of A.R. Lee of Springfield. White was born at Miami, Saline county. He leaves a wife and three children.

SPRINGFIELD REPUBLICAN - Saturday Morning, March 5, 1921 - page 3

Edwin L. White, age 54 years, died yesterday morning at the family residence, 1224 East Commercial street. The decedent had been a machinist at the Frisco shops for 30 years. He is survived by the wife, one son, William W. White, three sisters, Mrs. Frank Carney, Springfield: Mrs. Dora Wright, Kansas City, and Mrs. Ed Cavin, Albuquerque, N. Mex. and one brother, Mel White, Topeka, Kas.
Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the residence, followed by interment in Maple Park cemetery.

#32From: LAUDERDALE COUNTY ENTERPRISE RIPLEY,TENNESSEE OCTOBER 30th,1925 contributed by Sarah Hutcherson.

DEAD: H.J.HATHORN, 54, representative of S. M. Williamson Co., Oxford, Miss., Brother of Mr. S. B. HATHORN, of Ripley, Tenn. J. W. RYAN, 68, conductor, residence; Catholic Club, Memphis Lloyd WAGNER, 44, proprietor of Southern Hotel, Tupelo, Miss. N. C. DOSS, 32, real estate operator, Orlando, Fla. Miss Ollie WEBSTER, 38, nurse; Oxford, Miss. Jake THOMPSON, 20. Tupelo, Miss. Burt GLADDEN, 50, lumberman, Oxford, Miss. Jack HASKINS, 42, Kansas City. George HUMMER, Macon, Miss. Mrs. George HUMMER, Macon, Miss. P. J. SANDY, 22, a brakeman, Amory, Miss. J. BURRELL, Kansas City. Fred HARVEY, butcher Yongue, 12, Carrolltown, Ga. Arthur JORDON, 10. Carrolltown, Ga. An invisible defect in the 90-pound steel rail exacted a toll of 19 lives and caused painful injury to about 60 others when "The Sunnyland", crack train on the Frisco railroad, west bound, was derailed near Victorial, Miss., 33 miles from Memphis at 6:35 a.m. Tuesday.
#33From: NESODESHA REGISTER; FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 1892; contributed by Charlene Bauer

Brakeman Tom O'Hara who was so badly hurt a short time ago, died at the residence of Will Pulley at 11 o'clock Sunday night. His injured limb was healing nicely until three days previously, when a complication of fevers set in which, in connection with the schock to his system, resulted in death. He seemed to realize from the first that he could not live, but no word of complaint escaped him, except the expression, 'Oh, pshaw!" which he uttered in such a disappointed way that it went direct to the hearts of those who heard it. Father Coolen was with him almost all day Sunday and remained until he died. He was conscious until a few moments before he died, and repeated his prayers all the time. After he was too weak to talk he would smile at Father Coolen and give him to understand that he was saying his prayers in his heart. Tom did not want his mother and sisters, who live in Ohio, to know of his injury, so they were not notified of the accident. Trainmaster O'Hara notified them that Tom was very sick with fever. The injured man received the best of care and attention, and everything possible was done for him. The untiring, unremitting attention of Mr. and Mrs. Pulley and Dr. Allen can not be praised too highly, while his nurse, John Cameron, and the many friends did all in their powere to alleviate his sufferings and promote his recovery, and when the council of physicians had given poor Tom up nothing was left undone that would make his last moments peaceful and happy. Trainmaster Andy O'Hara is a cousin to the deceased and did all in his power for him, and was at his bedside almost constantly the past week. The remains were embalmed Sunday night and sent to his home in Ohio on No. 3 Tuesday morning. W.O. Pulley, who left his train at the time Tom was hurt to take care of him, accompanied the remains to the poor old mother in her eastern home.

NOTE: Tom O'Hara was from Galion, Ohio. His parents were James and Bridget NOON O'HARA.

#34From: MARION DAILY STAR; MARION, OHIO; FRIDAY, DECEMBER 1, 1911; contributed by Charlene Bauer

Reach This City, This Morning, from Springfield, Missouri

Accompanied by Relatives of the Deceased and Officers and Employes of Road He Served in His Lifetime---Funeral at St. Mary's Church Saturday at 9 A. M.

The remains of Andrew O'Hara, who died at his home in Springfield, Missouri, Wednesday morning, reached this city at 10:15 o'clock this morning. The remains were carried from Springfield to St. Louis in a special train composed of three private cars, a coach and combination car. Over (number illegible) of the officials and employees of the road accompanied the remains to St. Louis. The floral tributes were beautiful, three wagons being required to transfer the flowers from the home of the deceased to the train, while many were received on the trip.

From St. Louis to this city, the trip was made in the private car of W.T. Tyler, general superintendent of the St. Louis and San Francisco lines, of which the deceased was superintendent of the St. Louis division. The remains and floral tributes were carried in an all steel combination car of the road. On arrival here, the body was taken to the home of Mrs. Mary O'Brien, on east Church street.

The remains were accompanied to this city by Mr. Lawrence O'Hara, a brother of the deceased, C.F. Kirchner, of Springfield, Missouri, Mrs. Mary O'Brien and daughter, Miss Emma and Miss Katherine O'Harra, a sister of the deceased, and Frank A. Huber, all relatives of the deceased, and the following: W.T.Tyler, general superintendent of the Frisco road and wife; H.E. Sullivan, secretary to general superintendent; John Bowler, R.L. Rhodes and Arthur McClellan, engineers on the Eastern division; J. Lawless, K.C. Jacobs and C.B. Cook, fireman of the Eastern division; E.P. Worth, conductor; M.Costello, passenger brakeman, both of the Eastern division; D.W. McCain, agent at Lebanon, and Edward Hogan, yardmaster at Monett, Missouri.

The funeral will be held from St. Mary's Catholic church, Saturday morning at 9 o'clock, Rev. Father Joseph Denning officiating. Internment will be made in St. Mary's cemetery.

NOTE: Mr. O'Hara also had a cousin, Thomas O'Hara who worked for the RR and died as a result of a probable RR accident in February, 1892 in Neodesha, KS. At that time Andrew O'Hara was trainmaster.

#35From: NEODESHA REGISTER; FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 1892; contributed by Charlene Bauer


Simmerson is able to be up-town on his crutches.

John Johnson, a west end stckholder, wants the railroad edition.

Miss Mahaney has returned from her visit to Wichita.

J.D. Hopkins, agent at Latham, will read our paper in the future.

Charley Ensminger left for St. Louis on buisness last Wednesday.

Supt. Button made a trip down the Anthony branch last Monday.

Conductor Charley Long returned from his eastern trip last Monday. He had a splendid time.

Brakeman Brittain made this office a pleasant call Tuesday, and ordered his paper changed.

A. Vermillion, who has been working at Oronogo for some time past, asks to have his paper changed to Wentworth.

Several of our Neodesha railroad men have been courting the past two weeks at Fredonia, Oswego, Newton and Topeka.

Ed Carter, a bright looking young fellow was sent to Oswego Monday, on No. 3 to work nights on Western Union business.

Engineer John Mulvehill has been off the past ten days on account of a sore eye. He is much better and will soon resume work.

Traveling Auditor Goldsberry went to Bluff City Monday on No.3 to check in the agent there. A notice of his marriage will be found below.

Mrs. Allen returned from Pittsburg last Saturday, where she has been tak (the rest in illegible)