Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Background Music:  Gone with the Wind

Southwark - as viewed from City of London



This is a revision, adding the across the Thames rail bridge and elevated line built in the 1860s, to the first published in 1851 drawing. Depicted at center right, between the Southwark and Blackfriars bridges, are wharehouses and barges moored beside the wharves at Clink St. at Bankside where the Raymond bothers John and Mead from early in the 1800s had their wharf and granary wharehouses. Top center on the right (western) side of the London Bridge is the bell tower of the still standing Southwark Cathedral that prior to the early 1900s was named St. Saviour's Church and in whose vault below the brothers are buried.