1. Frederick Gordon Fullford, son of James Fullford and Maria Matilda Gordon, was born 3rd Feb 1853 2 Maitland, NSW, Australia and baptised in the Church of England, Hunter River. He died aged 96 on 26 Jan 1950 4 , buried Campbells Hill Cemetery, Maitland. He married in Maitland, NSW on 29 Jul 1873 Edith Caroline Brackenreg 3, 4; born ca.1856; died 26 Feb 1909, aged 52, in West Maitland, NSW, buried Campbells Hill Cemetery 43, daughter of Charles John Brackenreg and Mary Ann Bailey.
Frederick Gordon Fullford at 93 yrs 1
Frederick was one of Maitland's last pioneer racing officials and was clerk of the course at Maitland for twelve years. He was a tailor by trade and as a young man won many hunting events at agricultural shows 40. When he died in 1950 he was just a week shy of his 97th birthday and at the time of this compilation (2003) held the distinction of being the longest living descendant of Robert and Ann Gordon.
Children of Frederick Gordon Fullford and Edith Caroline Brackenreg were:
Children of Ada Maria Fullford and James E Webb were:3. James Henry Fullford born on 27 Mar 1875 in Maitland, NSW, Australia 8, christened in Church of England, Hunter River; died in 1941 in Newcastle.
4. Percy Roland Fullford born on 23 Feb 1877 9 in Maitland, NSW, Australia; died 13 Jan 1930 10 in Maitland West, NSW, Australia, at age 53. He married Matilda Maud Curran, daughter of James and Mary A Curran, in 1902 11. Matilda died in 1903 in Maitland West, NSW, Australia.
Prior to his 1902 marriage to Matilda Curran, she gave birth to two children - Florence who was registered as Florence Fullford with father's name listed as unknown and, Percy Roy born in 1901 who was registered as Percy Curran with father's name again listed as unknown. Ruby, the only child born after the marriage, died six months after her mother's death. Florence and Percy Roy were made wards of the state and fostered out, losing all contact with their father and his family. Percy Roland worked as a linesman for a electricity authority and was either electrocuted or died as a result of a fall from a power pole in Belmore Road, Lorn 4.5. Frank Fullford born on 8 Jan 1879 4, 12 in Maitland, NSW, Australia and died in 1940 in Newcastle, at age 61 13. He married Janet B Dougherty in 1910 14.
Children of Frank Fullford and Janet B Dougherty were:6. Aubrey Charles Fullford was born on 19 Sep 1880 4, 15 in Maitland, NSW, Australia. He married married Isabella "Bella" Ross in 1903 16.
He served with the New South Wales military forces in the Citizens' Bushmen unit in the South African Boer War (1899-1902) 51. On 30 May 2004 a new Anglo-Boer War Memorial Wall with the names of those who served is to be dedicated in Maitland. For the details see footnote 51.7. Hecla Blanche Fullford born on 19 Aug 1882 4, 5 in Maitland, NSW, Australia and, was christened in Church of England, Hunter River. She married Cholton D Redding in 1901 17.
Children of Hecla Blanche Fullford and Cholton D Redding were:8. Edith Mabel Clarice Fullford was born on 16 Jul 1884 18 in Maitland West, NSW, Australia. She married in 1902 19, Joseph Balcombe. Prior to her marriage she had son born 11 May 1901 who lived only six days. No father's name was given in the registration. He was presumably her husband to be.
Children of Edith Mabel Clarice Fullford and Joseph Balcombe were:9. Frederick Herbert Fullford was born on 24 Jun 1886 20 in Maitland West, NSW, Australia and died on 5 Mar 1956 4, at age 69. He married Florence Compton in 1908 21.
10. Arthur Charles Fullford was born on 14 Jun 1888 4, 22 in Maitland West, NSW, Australia and died on 5 Nov 1892 4, 23 in Maitland East, NSW, Australia, at age of 4. He drowned in the Hunter River at West Maitland. 44.
11. Ruby Pearl Fullford was born on 18 Apr 1890 4, 24 and died on 29 Nov 1964 4, at age 74. She married Charles Guy on 13 Dec 1910 4, 25. Ruby's surviving bible listed the birth dates of all 13 of her siblings.
Children of Ruby Pearl Fullford and Charles Guy were:12. Leslie Robert Fullford was born on 2 May 1892 4, 26. He married Elsie M Mead in 1914 27.
13. Clara (Ida) May Fullford was born on 21 Sep 1894 4, 28 and died on 29 Jun 1964 4 at age 69. The birth of daughter Edith was registered under her Fullford surname in 1912 with no father's name given. Ida married in 1914 29 Sidney Summons reg. at Wickam, NSW. (he was possibly the Sydney J Summons whose birth was reg. at Lithgow in 1893 46, parents John Richard and Elizabeth Ann Summons).
Sometime between the registration of her birth and baptism Clara's first given name was changed to Ida and she married as Ida. It was only at her death that the family discovered her birth registration had been as Clara May and she was buried as Clara (Ida) Summons 4. As there is no NSW BDM death or marriage to 1945 indexed under the Fullford surname for her daughter Edith M. it seems likely the daughter was adopted resulting in a change of her surname to that of the adoptive parents. A descendant of one of Edith's half-brothers has advised it was known by the family that their mother had a child before her marriage 52.14. Ivy Near Fullford was born on 7 Jul 1897 4, 30; died 13 Sep 1969 41 in Brisbane, Queensland, at age 72; buried 16 Sep 1969, Necropolis Cemetery, Springvale, Victoria. She married Joseph Ashton in 1916 31, born ca. 1885; died May 1960 in Naracoote, S.A., aged 75 years, eldest son of Frederick Ashton (1866-1941) and Ellen (Nellie) Ryan.
Ivy's husband Joseph Ashton was a grandson of Co. Essex, England, born James Henry Ashton (ca.1819-1889) whose real name may have been Golding. He founded Ashton's Circus in Launceston, Tasmania in Feb. 1851 and by the mid-1870s quote - "headed one of Australia's largest and best equiped travelling circuses boasting a tent capable of holding 800 spectators, about 40 horses and a large brass band" 36. Up until 2002, then in existance for two-thirds of the time since the first white settlement of Australia, Ashton's was the longest surviving family-owned circus in the western world. "Under the direction of third generation family member Joe Ashton this circus reached its peak in 1937 when it boasted a two-ring tent and seventy staff. There were thirty-two children travelling with the circus at the time, they had their own tutor and a travelling schoolroom" 37.
Children of Joseph Ashton and Ivy Near Fullford were:15. Cecil Maitland Fullford was born on 7 Mar 1900 4, 32 and died on 7 Dec 1968 4, at age 68. He married Ethel Button on 8 Sep 1921 4, 33.
THIRD GENERATION (grandchildren)
16. Edith C Webb was born in 1895 in West Maitland, NSW, Australia. She married in 1922 in West Maitland, NSW, John J Roarty.
17. Ivy V Webb was born in 1897 in West Maitland, NSW. She married in 1920 reg. Wickam, NSW, Norman W Watson.
18. Samuel E Webb was born in 1899 in West Maitland, NSW. He married in 1933 in West Maitland, NSW, Lenna P Archibald.
19. Gertrude M Webb. was born in 1902 in West Maitland, NSW. She married in 1931 in West Maitland, NSW, Edward Harvey.
20. Charles H. G. Webb was born 1903 at West Maitland, NSW; died 1903 West Maitland, NSW.
21. Lillian M Webb was born born 1905 in West Maitland, NSW. Possible indexed marriages are: 1932 to Henry R. G. Taylor at Wickam, NSW OR 1928 to Herbert H. Hallam at North Sydney.
22. John H. G. Webb was born in1908 in West Maitland, NSW. He married in 1929 in West Maitland, NSW, Marjorie A. E. Newton.
23. Ivy Elizabeth Webb Was born in 1912 in West Maitland, NSW. She married in 1936 reg. Kogarah, NSW, Thomas Pollock.
24. Thomas Kitchener Webb was born in 1915 in West Maitland, NSW. He married in 1941 reg. Redfern, NSW, Ada Emily Easter.
25. Ada Webb was born in 1918 in West Maitland, NSW.
26. Florence M Fullford was born in 1901 in West Maitland, NSW. She married in 1924 Harry V Eyre registered Wickam, NSW.
27. Percy Roy Fullford was born in 1899 in West Maitland, NSW. He likely married in 1931 Clara B Worthey (or Worthley) registered Redfern, NSW.
29. Linda E Fullford was born in 1910 reg. Newcastle, NSW. She marrird Bernard J Perry in 1930 reg. Clarence Town, NSW.
30. Leo F Fullford was born in 1914 reg. Newcastle, NSW.
31. Arthur J Fullford was born in 1904 reg. Wickham, NSW and died the same year.
32. Beryl C Redding was born in 1903 in West Maitland, NSW.
33. Evelyn B Redding was born in 1904 in West Maitland, NSW.
34. Doreen E Redding (Twin) was born in 1905 in West Maitland, NSW.
35. Cholton Redding (Twin) was born in 1905 in West Maitland, NSW.
36. Carl A. H. C. Balcombe was born in 1902 in West Maitland, NSW.
37. Annie J Balcombe was born in 1904 in West Maitland, NSW; died 1905 in West Maitland, NSW.
38. Elsie C. M. Balcombe was born in 1905 in West Maitland, NSW. She married in 1924 in West Maitland Harold F Llloyd.
39. Aubrey C. G. Balcombe was born in 1908 reg. Newcastle, NSW. He married Mary Ashton - the sister of his uncle Joseph Ashton of Ashtons Circus..
40. Veronica Balcombe was born in 1910, reg. Newcastle, NSW.
41. Joseph L. J. Balcombe was born in 1912 reg. Newcastle, NSW. He married in 1931 in West Maitland, Lelia K Dempsey.
42. Letitia Balcombe was born in 1913 reg. Newcastle, NSW. She married in Newcastle, NSW in 1939 Alfred John Brown.
43. George R Balcombe was born in 1914 in West Maitland, NSW.
44. Hubert S Balcombe was born in 1916 in West Maitland, NSW. He died in 1916 in West Maitland, NSW.
45. Ivy C Balcombe was born in 1917 in West Maitland, NSW. She married Ernest Kelroy who was a brother of Phyllis Kelroy wife of Douglas Ashton. Ivy together with a brother "Stevie" were raised by his aunt and uncle - Ivy and Joseph Ashton.
46. Roland G Balcombe died in 1922 in West Maitland, NSW.
47. Phyllis Caroline Guy born on 1 Dec 1911 4; died on 15 Jun 2001 4, at age 89. She married Reginald Morris Duggan on 1 Jun 1931 4.
Children of Phyllis Caroline Guy and Reginald Morris Duggan were:48. Douglas Frederick John Guy born on 14 Feb 1913 4; died on 7 Nov 1913 4.
49. Olga Elizabeth Guy was born on 20 Apr 1914 4; died on 3 Mar 1981 4, at age 66. She married Les McPherson.
Children of Olga Elizabeth Guy and Les McPherson were:50. Darrell Charles Guy was born on 22 Aug 1923 4; died on 14 Feb 1997 4, at age 73. He married June Carrall.
Children of Darrell Charles Guy and June Carrall were:51. Madalene June Guy was born on 23 Oct 1925 4. She married Ron Tudor.
Children of Madalene June Guy and Ron Tudor were:52. Edith M Fullford was born in 1912 50 reg. at Newcastle, NSW. Very likely she was adopted resulting in a change of surname to that of the adoptive parents. A descendant of one of her half-brothers has advised it was known by the family that her mother had a child before her marriage 52. No NSW BDM death or marriage is indexed to 1945 under the Fullford surname.
54. John "Jack" Summons was born on 29th December 1918 4; died 11th April 1993 4. He married Constance Beatrice Sense reg. 1941 47 Parkes, NSW .
Children John Summons and Constance Beatrice Sense were:55. Kenneth Summons was born on 20th July 1920 4; died 12th March 1991 4. He married twice. He married (1) Joyce Ince 52.
Children of Kenneth Summons and Joyce Ince were:56. Cecil "Sonny" Ceasar Ashton was born in 1917; died 1933, aged 16 years from Leukaemia.
57. Douglas Joseph Ashton was born in 1918. At birth his given names were registered as "Dudley N". He died aged 93 on 3 Nov 2011 and was buried on 9 Nov 2011 in Melbourne. He married in 1936 in Sydney, Phyllis Evelyn Kelroy, born 17 Feb 1917 in Melbourne, died 27 Aug 2000, daughter of Ernest Kelroy-Yeomans and Dorethea Walker.
Douglas & Phyllis Ashton - 1992 photo
Both Douglas and Phyllis Ashton were honoured in the 1996 Australia Day honours list with the Order of Australia Medal (OAM). With their children, grandchildren, and a great grandson, they featured in a 52 minute documentary film produced in 1998 by the Australian Film Finance Corporation about life on the road with the circus they then still actively headed 42.
Children of Douglas Joseph Ashton and Phylis Evelyn Kelroy were:
58. Guy Duggan
67. Sydney John Summons born August 1940 4; died 29th October 1999 4.
68. Laraine Summons. She married Peter Jones 52.
Children of Laraine Summons and Peter Jones were:69. Dianne Summons. She married 1st Sept. 1971 52 Erwin Rudolf Ebenreuter.
Children of Dianne Summons and Erwin Rudolf Ebenreuter were:70. Peter Summons
71. Sussannah Summons
72. Christian Summons
73. Kingsley Summons
74. Lorraine Dorothy Ashton. She married Gary Donald Grant.
Children of Lorraine Dorothy Ashton and Gary Donald Grant were:75. Mervyn Douglas Ashton. He married Nikki Zelie Hicks.
Children of Mervyn Ashton and Nikki Zelie Hicks were:76. Jan Phyllis Ashton. She married Serafin Sanchez Rodriquez.
Children of Jan Phyllis Ashton and Brasil Rodriquez were:
77. David Timothy Jones
78. Richard Thomas Jones. He married Rachel Holkner 52.
Children of Richard Thomas Jones and Rachel Holkner were:79. Justine Louise Ebenreuter
80. Natalie Erika Ebenreuter
81. Marshall Garry Ashton Grant. He married Jane Elizabeth Trimble.
82. Tanya Grant. She married in 1980 Jose Cifuentes Falagan.
Children of Tanya Grant and Jose Cifuentes Falagan were:83. Tara Lyn Grant
84. Tamalyn Lee Grant. She married in 1977 in Brisbane, Qld., Augustin Candillo Lopez.
Children of Tamalyn Lee Grant and Augustin Candillo Lopez were:85. Joseph Ashton.
Children of Joseph Ashton were:86. Golda Jan Ashton
87. Bekki Mitzi Ashton
88. Tamara Rodriquez
89. Chantel Rodriquez
SIXTH GENERATION90. Abigail Clare Jones
91. Marcos Falagan
92. Anita Tammy Lopez
93. Carmen Lopez
94. Jordan Ashton
1 Photo held by Karen Mallam of NSW - image courtesy of Russell Gordon of Sydney, NSW.
2 NSW BDM Indexes, V1853-3559-39A.
3 Ibid, #1873-2960.
4 Fullford Family Genealogy as compiled by Karen Mallam (dated Aug. 2003).
5 NSW BDM Indexes, V1882 2545 160
6 Ibid, #13224.
7 Ibid, #3365.
8 Ibid, V1875 2481 160.
9 Ibid, #14511.
10 Ibid, #4745.
11 Ibid, #1576.
12 Ibid, #16404.
13 Ibid, #24080.
14 Ibid, #5836.
15 Ibid, #17639.
16 Ibid, #8739.
17 Ibid, #4150.
18 Ibid, #24220.
19 Ibid, #4315.
20 Ibid, #25919.
21 Ibid, #5127.
22 Ibid, #27175.
23 Ibid, #7946.
24 Ibid, #20618.
25 Ibid, #12559.
26 Ibid, #21353.
27 Ibid, #8421.
28 Ibid, #20061.
29 Ibid, #7318.
30 Ibid, #23193.
31 Ibid, #14840.
32 Ibid, #13990.
33 Ibid, #13066.
34 Ibid, #4474.
35 Ibid, #14524.
36 John Ramsland & Mark St Leon, Children of the Circus : the Australian Experience, (1983) p.27
37 Mark St Leon, Circus in Australia : spangles & sawdust, (1993) p.164
38 Judy Cannon & Mark St Leon, Take a drum and beat it : The Story of The Astonishing Ashtons 1848-1990s, (1997) p.100.
39 Ibid, p.139
40 Ibid, p.100 - on this page it is incorrectly implied Frederick had 22 children of whom 17 survived to adulthood. In fact there were 14 of whom 13 survived to adulthood. Also astray is a claim that Frederick served in the Boer War (1899-1902). It was actually one of his sons who served in that war - see the footnote at 51 below. Frederick's occupation as quoted is in accord with that given in the 1909 and 1915 Commonweath Electoral Rolls for the Division of Hunter. It is not known if there was an obituary in 1950 in the Maitland Mercury newspaper.
41 The Sydney Morning Herald, Monday, 15 Sep 1969 - DEATHS - Ashton, Ivy Near - September 13, 1969 in Brisbane of Ashton's Circus, Rest in Peace. FUNERALS - The Funeral of the late Mrs Ivy Ashton will leave Tobin's Chapel, 1382 High Street, (corner of Jordan Street) Malvern, on Tuesday September 16, following a service commencing at 1 p.m. for Necropolis, Springvale.
42 The Astonishing Ashtons VHR cassette (Australian Film Finance Corp., 1998).
44 The Maitland Mercury, Tuesday 8 Nov 1892. "Death by Drowning at West Maitland - A fine little fellow, Arthur Charles Fullford, was drowned in the Hunter River at the Horseshoe Bend, West Maitland, on Saturday afternoon. It seemed from the evidence taken at a magisterial inquiry held before Mr H. Crothers J.P. at Mr. Gilligan's Hotel, on the afternoon of that day, that the boy threw a stick into the water opposite what is known as McDougall's Point. He made an effort to recover the stick, and slipped into the water, went under three times, and sank. The accident was witnessed by Miss Mangan, who stated the boy was requested not to go near the water. Percy Rowland Fullford, a brother of the deceased, recovered the body after diligent search ......".
45 The Maitland Mercury, 2 May 1855 & 17 Apr 1856 (microfilm), Card Index to NSW Publican's Licences, NSW, c.1836-43 (microfilm), and email advice from Denis Power dated 21 Apr 2006.
46 NSW BDM Indexes, #1893/20439
47 Ibid, #1941/8548
48 Ibid, #1915/8358
49 Ibid, #1915/2711
50 Ibid, #1912/46505
51 See - Oz-Boer Database. The send-off for the Maitland vounteers appeared on 15 Feb 1900 in the Maitland Daily Mercury and was covered in the Newcastle Morning Herald of 2 Feb 1900. A new Anglo-Boer War Memorial Wall in Maitland, with the names of 275 from the Hunter Valley who served in that conflict, is to be dedicated during a service to be held on Sunday 30th May 2004.
52 Email advice from Dianne Summons dated 30 Mar 2004.
Special acknowledgement to Karen Mallam of NSW who provided her compiled genealogy, and Russell Gordon of Sydney, NSW a long time Gordon/Fullford family researcher who scanned the orginal photographs and provided the images.