JOHNSON and SCHAUFELBERGER GENEALOGY
JOHN MILES Jr.
John Miles was made a Freeman of Concord on Mar. 14, 1639 and by 1663 had acquired over 400 acres in the “Nine Acre Corner” area of Concord. He made his will in 1691 and mentions his children by both of his wives. His widow remarried on Nov. 10, 1698 to William John Wilson of Billerica.
SAMUEL MILES Sr.
Samuel Miles built a house on “faier haven way” in the early 1700's on land that his father had acquired many years earlier. Samuel Miles was a deacon of the church who, in 1745, left First Parish with 19 other men in a dispute over theology with Rev. Daniel Bliss. They formed the West or Black Horse Church. The churches were reconciled about 1758, possibly after the death of Samuel Miles--but before the second marriage of his son Charles in 1759.
HENRY LEE MILES
Henry and Susanna (Wilson) Miles moved from Shrewsbury MA to Winchester NH between 1772 and 1774--between the births of their second and third children--and probably closer to 1774 since on June 16, 1774 a warrant was issued to warn them out of town (aka a "warn out notice"). The Constable of Winchester, Enoch Stowell, on July 8, 1774 filed a record with the Court that he had "warned out" the Miles family. Apparently it was common practice in New England to "warn out" transients, thereby insuring that the town would not have to add them to their roster of the poor who were entitled to relief payments. There are two curious items in the Miles "warn out": first, the warrant does not mention Benjamin Miles who is believed to have been born on May 25, 1774 at Winchester; second, it is not apparent that the Miles left Winchester since their next child was born there in 1776. One can only presume that they were able to assure the authorities that they had the necessary financial wherewithal to remain.
No information has yet been found to explain this move.