For information on how to obtain a copy, contact the Village of Nassau Historic Preservation Commission at email@example.com, or at the address listed at the bottom of this page.
According to "A Brief History of the Village of Nassau" the roots of Nassau began as follows:
"Sept. 18, 1609 Exploring for the Dutch, Henry Hudson's ship The Half Moon arrives at the present site of Castleton. The first Europeans set foot on what will become Rensselaer County.
April 23, 1637 Dutch Patroon Kiliaen Van Rensselaer extends his land holdings along the Hudson Rivers to include the present-day site of Nassau.
1704 Traveling up the Valatie Kill, explorers reach a place called by the Indians "Ontekekomack."
1756 Thomas Pownall draws one of the first maps showing the Valatie Kill and Kinderhook Lake, called "Fish Lake." North of Fish Lake he noted "The Land here but Indifferent, Hilly and Stoney, producing White & Black Oak. And Ash and Hickry in Valleys."
May 16, 1760 Indian chief Keshomack conveys to Hugh Wilson and Joseph Primmer land north and south of present-day Nassau Lake. Popular legend has it Joseph Primmer was shanghaied as a boy and forced to serve on a British Navy vessel. He eventually reached America where he became involved with Hudson river shipping, making Schodack Landing his base of operations.
1770's Thomas Hicks established the first tavern in Nassau Village.
1775 Jonathan Hoag finds Nassau "in a state of nature," with only a tavern and one or two houses.
Spring 1786 Jonathan Hoag and partner Moses Vail build a store on the corner of Church and Elm streets. Moses Vail builds his house. The name "New Stores" is adopted to Nassau.
June 6, 1798 New Stores is renamed Union Village.
1800 Hotel built on corner of Albany Avenue and Elm Street by Jacob Witbeck. Long the centerpiece of Village social life, dinner guests included Governor Dewitt Clinton and former President Martin Van Buren in the 1840's. The hotel was demolished in February 1955 for a gas station.
March 31, 1806 Township of Nassau formed from parts of Petersburgh, Stephentown and Schodack. Population of the Town of Nassau is numbered at 2,501.
January 1808 Application made to the State Legislature for incorporation of a turnpike to extend from the Village to New Lebanon.
April 6, 1808 Name of Union Village changed officially to Nassau.
May, 1809 First school organized in Nassau. In 1821 a school house is built.
1811 Village post office established
Feb 5, 1812 Jonathan Hoag dies.
1818 John Griswold born in Nassau. He moved to Troy in 1835, served as a Congressman during the 1860's, equipped a regiment of cavalry at his own expense, called the "Griswold Cavalry", was nominated as Republican candidate for Governor (defeated), and was involved in the construction of the Civil War warship "Monitor".
Mar 12, 1819 Village of Nassau incorporates. Population reaches 300.
1820 French General Lafayette visits resident General John Ellis Wool. Tree is planted by Lafayette in front of Wool's house (7 Church Street.)
December,1830 Dutch Reformed congregation builds its' own church on Church Street. (Present site of current Reformed Church.)
Fall, 1833 Methodist Church building on Church Street dedicated.
May 11,1835 Nassau Academy incorporated.
1837 Dam on Hoag's Pond bursts, carrying away bridges, and destroys considerable property.
1837 Frederick Frickinger builds a piano factory on Bunker Hill. The factory is subsequently acquired by Gorgen & Grubb. In 1899 Albrecht Kosegarten with brothers Otto and Charles purchased an interest in the concern and with Jacob Grubb operated the firm under the name Kosegarten and Grubb. After a 1905 fire, the factory is rebuilt in Nassau and reorganized as the Kosegarten Piano Action Manufacturing Company.
1848 Nine local by-laws are established. They include: the prohibition of horses, sheep, hogs or geese from running at large; residents shall place all stones, dirt or other filth in the center of the street each Saturday for collection; horses and cattle are not permitted on the sidewalks; each owner or occupant is requested to keep on premises a ladder of sufficient length to ascend the, roofs of their buildings.
1850 Nassau Academy becomes a "Young Ladies' Institute" operated Rev. Salmon Hatch.
December, 1850 The short lived newspaper Nassau Gazette started by J.M. Geer.
August 20,1852 Founding of St. Mary's parish in Nassau. Property was purchased to the east of the Library for a house of worship. In 1854 17 baptisms were registered. The first Mass held in what is now the Grand Hotel on Albany Avenue.
February 25,1855 Nassau, Schodack and Chatham Mutual Insurance Association formed. By 1879, the property of 997 members are insured.
May 28, 1862 Annual report for the year 1861 shows a Village deficit of $5.78.
May 26, 1866 Village appoints a committee to study possible sites for an Engine House (Fire House,) and agrees to tax residents $800 for the purchase of a Fire Engine and apparatus.
April 28,1867 Village annual report. shows a balance of $137.98.
1880 Census shows population of Village at 449.
May 4, 1880 Village tax rate $1.00 for each $700 assessed value. The next year the rate is $1.00 per $600.
1881 Nassau Library organized. First space was upstairs over Clapper's Meat Market at the corner of Maiden and Church Streets. $25 a year was charged as rent. Five years later the library moved into the Huested Building at the corner of Elm and Church Streets.
1882 Village sets pay scale for laborers at 12 1/2 cents per hour, for a 10 hour day.
1892 Rensselaer County Agricultural and Liberal Arts Society leases land to operate a yearly fair. The Nassau Fair is born. Annual event continues until 1944.
February 9, 1893 Nassau Library incorporated and moves into current building on Church Street. The structure was purchased from the Reformed Church for $200. The collection numbers 425 books and a circulation of 1,650.
May, 1896 At the request of local merchants, peddlers are prohibited from selling their wares without first obtaining a license from the Village President or Trustees.
October 4, 1897 In the case of arrest, Village Police are entitled to one half of any fine imposed.
April 18, 1899 Village annual report shows a balance of $92.43.
October 13, 1899 Greenbush & Nassau Electric Railroad merges with the Albany & Hudson Railway & Power Company to form the Albany & Hudson Railroad Company. By 1901, 376,745 passengers were riding the line annually reaching top speeds of 60 mph on the 37.25 miles of track. By 1902 the number of passengers had risen to 1,055,175 annually.
December 28, 1900 Reformed Church building burns after a spark from a neighboring building lodges in the church spire.
April 21, 1901 Village Board contracts with Joseph Lennon to light kerosene street lights at 75 cents per night. Lights to burn until 10 pm, 11 pm on Saturdays.
Committee appointed by Village to investigate where and at what cost electric street lights can be found.
Village budget for the year - $560. June 20, 1901 Franchise granted to the Hudson River Telephone Company to run a telephone line through the Village.
July 23, 1901 Lyons Pond (Lake) considered as a possible source of Village water supply. A survey estimated it would cost $14,600 to lay 8 inch pipe to the Village.
August 21, 1901 Cornerstone laid for the present Reformed Church building.
September 20, 1901 Village adopts laws pertaining to bicycles - must have a light visible at 200 ft., must have an alarm bell or whistle audible at 100 ft., can not meet or pass pedestrians or other vehicles at a speed greater than 10 miles per hour, bicycles can not be ridden on the sidewalk - except during the months of November and March, no coasting or force by inertia with feet off pedals, no child under the age of 5 years carried on a bicycle.
1902 First telephone service is extended to Nassau from the east by the Columbia and Rensselaer Telephone and Telegraph Company. Seven subscribers are listed in that year's directory.
June 18, 1902 Special election held to decide if Village should borrow $13,500 to establish a system of water works. Voters say yes.
February 1903 Nassau Hose Company #1 formally organized with 26 members.
May 20, 1903 While work is being done to expand the railway service in Nassau, the Village Board agrees to supply contractor with water for laborers at 8 dollars per moth, payable in advance.
July 25, 1904 John Street dedicated by John Van Valkenburgh.
1905 The piano action factory burns on Bunker Hill and is relocated to John Street. As an incentive, Village agrees to waive corporation taxes for a period of ten years and provide drinking water and three fire hydrants for fire protection. With their own spur of the rail line direct to the factory, coal and lumber is shipped in and completed piano actions shipped out. As many as 160 workers are employed by the firm with up to 35,000 piano actions produced per year. The factory steam whistle served as the fire alarm for the Village.
With the invention of the phonograph and radio, demand for pianos plummets. The firm is liquidated in 1929
November 20, 1905 Post Office burglarized. A detective is sought.
November 20, 1905 Albany & Hudson Rail Road given permission to erect electric light poles on the east side of Maiden Street, provided no trees are injured.
February 19, 1906 Herbert Best of Schodack is granted permission to maintain and operate a telephone system in the village. In exchange he will install a telephone in the fire house and maintain it free of charge. A call from Nassau to Albany will cost 10 cents. Subscribers will be entitled to free use of the system within a ten mile radius.
March 19, 1906 Village agrees to pay for an electric light in the room of the Nassau Hose Co. not to exceed $12 per year, providing the Hose Co. pays expense of wiring and fixtures.
The following ordinances are approved:
1. Speed limit for automobiles and motorcycles set at 15 m.p.h.
2. Playing ball in streets, lanes or highways is prohibited.
3. No one shall maliciously or wantonly cutdown or injure any trees growing in the Village.
4. Electric light wires shall not be fastened to any ornamental or shade trees.
5. Fowl will not be allowed to run at large.
6. Open air fires will not be allowed to dispose of combustible materials.
7. Electric light wires will be maintained safely.
November 27, 1906 Albany & Hudson Railroad Company requests permission to distribute electricity for public and private use.
June 11, 1907 Village Bandstand wired for electric light.
June 17, 1907 Village residents complain about the condition of sidewalks in the vicinity of the Methodist Church.
1908 Nassau Hose House - located near the intersection of Maiden and Griswold Streets is moved to 2 Maiden Street.
April 18, 1908 Village makes it unlawful to leave on Village streets any steam roller, traction engine, portable engine or stone crusher without the written consent of the village President.
May 19, 1908 Citizens petition Village to construct a street connecting Maiden Street with Church Street. After much discussion, both for and against, it is decided to construct the street. Mrs. Nancy Tifft and George Stickles dedicate "Griswold Street."
May 29, 1908 Tax rate for the year will be 72 cents per $100 of assessed value. As has been the custom, a poll tax of $1 is collected for each vote cast.
April 12, 1909 Debate opens with the State of New York Department of Highways regarding the paving of Route 20 (Albany Avenue and Church Street.) At question - who will pay for the work.
September 14, 1909 The Albany & Hudson Railroad Company merges with the East Albany Gas Light Company, Rensselaer Lighting Company and Jansen Electric Power Company to become the Albany Southern Railroad.
April 18, 1910 Water rates set to reflect the number of horses or cows kept in village barns. Over two, a 50 cent charge will be collected .
July 3, 1910 Double tracking of the Albany Southern Railroad is completed between East Schodack and Electric Park at Kinderhook Lake. Double tracking has existed between Rensselaer and East Schodack since 1900.
August 15, 1910 First traffic signs are ordered for Nassau. Automobiles and other vehicles warned to slow down to a speed not to exceed 15 miles per hour.
October 19, 1910 New York Telephone Company conducts a survey of independent companies using their circuits for toll calls. The Nassau operator answers simply with the word "hello." The quickest answer is received in four minutes, one call required 36 minutes before an operator answered.
February 20, 1911 The Electric Lighting Department of the Albany Southern Railroad approach the Village with a proposition for lighting the streets of the Village. A contract for five years calls for the annual cost for each lamp not to exceed $13.20 per year.
Once again, the Village Board discusses the need to increase the Village water supply.
August 11, 1911 After a billing dispute, Grubb and Kosegarten Bros. write to the president of the Columbia and Rensselaer Telephone Company stating that their "telephone was an aggravation, of very little use to us."
April, 1913 John Street extended 700 feet south of the Grubb a Kosegarten Bros. Piano Works, and Kosey Street established.
June 9, 1913 A committee of the Village Improvement Society complains to Village Board "of the lawlessness and lounging on street corners," and asks for action to be taken to suppress it. Board to post a notice on street comers "warning loungers that all lounging would be prosecuted."
December 14, 1914 Twenty-five taxpayers of the village petition the Village Board to consider purchasing the mill property of Joseph L. Roye and water rights to Nassau Lake for the purpose of a municipal water supply. Luckily, the proposal does not win support
May, 1915 Village Board approves funding for annual shade tree trimming and spraying for summer season. A routine action for the period, Nassau's many trees were much loved.
August, 1916 Developer Thomas R. Greenman connects Maiden and Chatham Streets by public highway. The new street is named "Union Street" This allows development of "Greenman Terrace," later to be known as The Terrace. In 1934 the name is changed to Kaunameek Street after some disagreement by neighbors over the intent of the original name.
In the wake of record reportings of infantile paralysis, admittance to State and County fairs to all children under the age of 16 years is prohibited.
April, 1918 Village sets hourly wage for manual labor at 30 cents per hour, 60 cents per hour for man and team.
May, 1918 A flag pole presented to the Village upon the successful fund raising campaign of the Third United States Liberty Loan, with a United States flag presented by the alumni of the Nassau Union Free School, is erected at the Band Stand square.
June 10, 1918 The Nassau Automobile Club meets at the Hose House.
July 19, 1918 The Village water supply runs dry and water from the Valatiekill is pumped into the mains. Residents are instructed to boil water for drinking or cooking purposes.
July 1, 1919 The 100th Anniversary of the Village of Nassau takes place. A highlight of the celebration is the welcome home of World War I soldiers and sailors.
1920 Census shows 655 residents. Nassau Synagogue organized.
May 5, 1920 Village contracts with Albany Southern Railroad for electrical power for new pump house.
June, 1920 Troy shirtmaker Cluett Peabody Company opens a factory in Nassau.
May, 1921 Village police officers to be paid 50 cents for each arrest made. This will remain in effect until 1933 when police officers are paid a salary for the first time.
June 14, 1922 Eight taxpayers ask Village Board to contact meat markets and grocery stores requesting them to close on Sundays.
November, 1922 Building Code goes into effect. Plans and specifications to be submitted to Village President (Mayor) and Foreman of the Hose Company for approval. Violators will be fined $100 and charged with disorderly conduct.
June, 1923 Louis Swadelson opens new store on Albany Avenue. To be known as Delson's New Economy Market, the store would be a Nassau landmark for decades to come.
August 2, 1923 Land for the present St. Mary's Church purchased for $4,270. The cornerstone is laid in July of 1925 and the first Mass is celebrated in the structure on May 30, 1926.
December 1, 1925 Elm Street and Lake Avenue graded and paved.
1928 For the first time, a mayor is elected in the Village. Formerly, the term "corporation president" was used.
November, 1928 Nassau's first motorized fire engine is purchased for $7.000. The American LaFrance vehicle would serve for thirty years.
1929 First Nassau Fire Department "tag day" held during the Nassau Fair.
July 16, 1929 Roster of Nassau Hose Company members numbers 28.
December 22, 1929 Final run of the Albany Southern Railroad.
May 5, 1930 A committee of tax payers appeared before the Village Board and complains about loitering on street comers and the use of indecent language. The Board moved that this be attended to in accordance with Village Ordinance No. 1
July, 1930 Nassau Home Bureau begins organizing a drive to erect a war memorial on the Village Square.
September, 1930 Citing the new pavement on Church Street and Albany Avenue as the cause of excessive speeding and reckless driving, citizen's demand protection for their school-aged children in crossing the street.
March 17, 1931 Village elections bring out 318 voters. Frank Roshirt edges Christopher Ogden by 33 votes.
December, 1931 The defunct Roshirt Bottling Works behind Albany Avenue is purchased for use as a firehouse. The station would remain in use until 1943 when the former school house was purchased for $1 from the Nassau Union School and converted into its present use.
February 27, 1932 Ladies Auxiliary of the Nassau Hose Company established.
June 25, 1932 Nineteen taxpayers petition the Village Board to abolish the Village Board of Assessors and adopt assessment role of the Town of Nassau. When put to public vote, it is defeated.
April 3, 1933 Village Board agrees to reimburse Police Justice 40 cents per meal and $1.00 per night when lodgers request overnight accommodations at the Village Jail. In the parlance of the day, these "kings of the road," are called "bums."
May 8, 1933 Nassau Chamber of Commerce organized. Membership fees are $2.00 and annual dues $1.00. There are 15 charter members.
May 11, 1933 Having fallen on hard times because of disuse, the Village Bandstand is in poor repair. In a public vote it is decided 7 to 30 to remove the structure from the Village Square. A rock garden replaces the structure.
July 14, 1933 Put to a public vote, it is decided by a 4 vote margin that residents be assessed no more than 25 cent per week for garbage removal. The annual trash removal contract will cost the Village $398. The Village Clerk will be paid $20 per year to compensate for the record keeping needed to administer this activity.
August, 1933 All vehicles are directed to come to a full stop when approaching the intersection of the Albany and Pittsfield highway (Route 20) and the North Chatham and Elm Street Highways.
August 16, 1934 69th Annual Rensselaer County Fair sponsored by the Rensselaer County Agricultural and Liberal Arts Society runs Tuesday through Friday. Horse races are featured each day, with a top purse of $150.
A surprise occurs when one of a contingent of gypsy fortune tellers gives birth to an infant girl. Dr.. Max Panitch and Mrs. Charles Andros assist in the delivery, but the mother, citing ancient custom, refuses to leave the Red Cross tent for the hospital. Unable to locate milk for the baby, it is taken from a Farm Bureau display
November, 1934 Nassau resident Herman Kobbe runs unsuccessfully for the office of NY Lieutenant Governor on the Socialist Party ticket
March 21, 1935 The Chatham Courier reports ice fishing may be banned on Nassau and Tsatswassa Lakes. It is feared fish are being caught in such large numbers they are in danger of being exterminated.
E..B.. Sheldon advertises Ford Sales and Service with prompt delivery on all models, and open evenings. Phone Nassau 14.
June 29, 1935 Hose Company holds their annual Field Day at the Fair grounds and requests homeowners on Maiden Street to decorate their houses. A prize is awarded for best decorations.
1935 Dog racing operates during the summers of 1935 and 1936 at the Fairgrounds. While not legal in New York State, the management would go to court and argue that it was unfair to outlaw dog racing when horse racing was legal.
They would obtain a 90-day injunction while the court considered the question and during that time the races would be run.
In the travel guide "New York - A Guide for the Empire State", the following single entry hopes to lure vacationers to the village: "Nassau, Pop. 670. When legal obstructions can be circumvented, greyhound races are run at the Rensselaer County Fairgrounds, sometimes with monkeys astride the dogs."
October 5, 1936 Village Board meets with Nassau School Board to discuss the possibility of a new school building.
December, 1936 Nassau Chamber of Commerce builds an ice skating rink at the Fairgrounds for use by village children and families.
December, 1937 Village Board receives request for the construction of an automobile "lubritory" (a grease pit) on property next to the Village Hall. The matter is tabled until the possible fire hazard can be better considered.
January 3, 1938 Village agrees to purchase property to locate a storage tank for the improvement and enlargement of the village water system.
May 22, 1939 At a special meeting residents vote 18 to 7 to pay 80 cents each for 200 trees in the village to be sprayed with fungicide to prevent disease.
October 28, 1939 Cornerstone laid for Nassau School - later to be known as Donald P. Sutherland School - after a long-time principal.
May 6, 1940 Citizen's petition Village Board to request State Police to station a trooper in village.
August 5, 1940 Village Board minutes read: "The Village Board decided to put a stop to the habit of people walking the Streets of the Village improperly dressed." The following summer improperly dressed is defined as wearing extreme shorts or bathing suits.
March 18, 1941 Voters asked whether former school house should be purchased for use as a fire house. Proposal defeated 35 votes to 13.
May 13, 1941 Signs are considered at the village entrances reading "Approved Water Supply."
December 9, 1941 Under the existing state of war it is decided to discontinue the practice of lighting the streets with Christmas lights. Air raid and all clear signals are established and special police are appointed for the duration of the war.
1942 Queen Wilhelmena of the Netherlands passes through Nassau while on tour of the U.S.
April 17, 1942 Special wartime ordinances are passed including blackout rules and air raid procedures. 36 whistles and 30 Special Police badges are purchased to equip the newly sworn police.
June 8, 1942 Citizens rally and organize a first aid station on Church Street. Garbage pick up is reduced to twice a week (Tuesday and Saturday) for the duration of the war.
July 6, 1942 Citizens volunteer to pay half of the telephone bill for the newly constructed air raid lookout tower in Central Nassau
November 6, 1944 Nassau Hose company reports 20 active firemen, with six men in the armed forces.
1945 With the War over, pent up demand for affordable housing soars. The Eisenberg Brothers purchase Charles Kosegarten's dairy farm for the future Westbrook Drive development. Houses were preassembled at the former piano action factory and moved to the building site for completion.
April 11, 1946 Frank Seldman, owner of the buildings and grounds of the former Fairgrounds announces midget auto races will take place over the summer. The former dog track, built inside the earlier harness track will be increased in size for this purpose. By August of the year night racing is featured with 15 racers under the lights. When it is announced races would be held on Sundays in addition to Saturdays, a public meeting is held. Residents vote 56 to 7 to prohibit racing on Sunday.
July 22, 1946 Maple Street, Howard Street and a yet unnamed street leading to the Village pump house are planned.
August 1, 1946 After Bill Hilton, manager of the Nassau American Legion baseball team, writes a letter to The Chatham Courier accusing the local Chatham team of giving him the "run around" when asked for game, the Chatham team manager replies not only will they play Nassau, but beat them.
A series of three games are set. The Nassau team wins 10 - 5, 8 - 5 and 8 - 1. Bill McKever and Leslie Hanson are credited with the wins.
November 4, 1946 Permission sought to supply Village water to 20 new houses being built at the end of Chatham Street. Initial reaction is to deny water privileges, but is later reversed. This development to be known as "Orchard Park."
October 6, l947 Nassau PTA request a stop light be installed at the intersection of Albany Avenue and John Street. A counter proposal is to have a police officer during school hours to help cross children across at the Village center. Salary is not to exceed $15 per week.
November 3, 1947 A delegation of Nassau business and religious leaders request something be done about "junior delinquency." Suggestions include movies, dances or other kinds of amusements.
February 24, 1948 Village records show the following receiving special water rates: a fur shop, ice plant, slaughter house, hen house, bakery, auto body works, dress shop, cider mill, barber shop, post office, Masonic Temple, 3 stores, 4 filling stations and 4 hotels.
February 9, 1948 Annual budget for the Village set at $6,300. For the first time, budget estimates include a Police Department.
November, 1948 Methodist Church Youth Group plans a village-wide Christmas lighting contest with prizes awarded for best decorations.
With the hopes of a presidential victory for NYS Governor Thomas Dewey, plans are made for a reception and parade for Nassau resident Lt. Gov. Hanley should he ascend to the governorship. Dewey is defeated by Truman.
December 31, 1948 Five inches of rain descend on Nassau in what is called "the heaviest storm of the present generation." The rain is followed by sleet, then snow. Major power and telephone outages occur along with severe flooding.
1949 A telephone is installed in the Village Hall for the first time. The number is 8-5172.
April 6, 1953 Nassau Ambulance Emergency Squad established.
December 6, 1954 Residents of Orchard Park petition Village to be annexed.
March 31, 1949 The Eisenberg Brothers come before the Village Board to enlist support for their plan to develop the Tremont Farm (site of the current Town Hall,) into a residential housing area.
They expect to erect 50 houses, at least 25 in the year 1949. Operating as the Biltbest Construction Company, the development will be known as "Elmwood Acres."
Designed to be affordable to families with an income of $65 per week, the houses will be priced at $7900.00. The 24 x 32 foot houses will feature a living room, two bedrooms, utility room, kitchen & bath. Lots to be 64 x 105 feet
March 9, 1950 A serious flood takes place in the new development known as Elmwood Acres. Two occupied houses flood and sewage systems fail. It was determined there had been an error and several of the homes had not been built at the proper grade. Further construction was temporarily halted.
1951 Columbia and Rensselaer Telephone Company adopts dial service for Nassau. Customers must now dial their own calls without the assistance of an operator.
August 6, 1951 Village agrees to purchase the car of Ethel L. Ogden for $350.00 to be equipped as a police car. Mrs. Ogden is the wife of the mayor.
October 15, 1951 Citing liability concerns, the Village initiates plans to trim and remove tree branches over streets and sidewalks. This is the "beginning of the end" for the much admired canopy of trees gracing most of the Village's streets.
December 3, 1951 Tremont Drive and Philips Street opened by the developer for public use.
October 6, 1952 Nassau Hose Company lists 57 active members.
February 2, 1953 The Village Board receives a petition from sixty Elm Street residents complaining about drainage problems caused by the new Elmwood Acres development.
February 23, 1953 Number of Village Trustees rises from two to four.
April 6, 1953 Representatives of the Nassau Civic Counsel asked the Village Board to do something about increasing village police protection.
May 13, 1953 A committee is established to consider zoning. Committee disbanded in November due lack of interest.
August 12, 1953 Village asked to check the condition of a "swamp" between Maple Ave., Richards Drive and Westbrook Drive in regards to stagnate water and sanitary conditions. Reported back "was dry, and very little rubbish or litter found."
September 18, 1953 Citizen's concerned about the speed of trucks on Route 20 and suggested a full time police officer.
November 7, 1953 After much discussion and debate, a consensus is reached between the Village, Town and two veteran's groups to erect a permanent Veterans' Monument at the current Village Square.
December 28, 1953 Speed limit set at 25 mph on all village streets.
Compiled by neither professional historians or trained researchers, this time line is intended to provide a starting point to help trace Nassau's development and change over the years. Due to space limitations, not all significant and memorable events have been included. Nassau's early development and rich industrial heritage from the turn-of-the-century will prove fertile grounds for future historians (both trained and amateur.) The 40 year gap between the end of the time line and today is intended to allow tempers to cool and egos to deflate.
Special thanks to Village Clerk Margaret VanDeusen and Assistant Clerk Marcia Valenty, and Carolyn Sherman, Librarian, Nassau Free Library, and The Chatham Courier newspaper for their help.
In addition to the information above, the booklet contains some nice pictures showing Nassau's past along with a number of recollections and memories from Nassau's residents.
Should you like a copy, you can contact the Village of Nassau Historic Preservation Commission at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to the Commission at P.O. Box 476, Nassau, NY 12123.
I would like to point out that I am in no way affiliated with
the Village of Nassau, or the preservation commission. I am just
a transplanted Long Islander who ended up in Nassau in 1991 and
just love it.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids