Search billions of records on
Sibley Township
Pass Lake, Silver Islet

Above Photo Courtesy of Derk Sherren

Silver Islet Cemetery

Silver Islet - Mining Silver Under Lake Superior by Kathy Warnes

Gateway to Northwestern Ontario

The above postcards Courtesy of Derk Sherren - Sea Lion - Summer Resort, Sibley - Silver Island Summer Resort, Sibley

Silver Islet also had three Medical Doctors during the Mining boom, Dr. Myron Tompkins who died Jan 11, 1879: Dr. A.T. Whitehead, who died Jan 11, 1882 in Grandview, Michigan and Dr. Lorne C. Campbell.

August Anderson had lived in Pass lake for 24 years until his death on Oct 2, 1937. He served as postmaster from 1926 until his death. He also donated the land for the Lutheran Church & cemetery at Pass Lake.

Capt James Cross was born in Georgetown, Ont in 1843. He came to Silver Islet in 1869 & was builder of most of the old houses on Silver Islet. After the Silver Mine was abandoned in 1882, he remained in charge of the property as a representative of the Silver Islet Mining Co. until 1889. Mrs. Cross died in 1921. He lived for more that 60 years at Silver Islet.

Charles Vial one of the last of the men who partcipated in the bonanza days of the Silver Islet Mine, & later settled in Prince Arthur's Landing, now Port Arthur, Charles was born in Cornwall, England, & he came to Canada at an early age. He was at Silver Islet during the operation of the famous mine, later settling in Port Arthur where he had resided since, was one of the first operators of municipal owned street cars in Port Arthur. .

Home Townships

E-mail  your questions or comments to Jude at
Jude's Family & Local History

Visit RootsWeb