Jacob Garber/Garver/Carver is my 3x's great grandfather. Here's what is known:
- born circa 1802 in Pennsylvania (per 1850 census)
- occupaton was laborer (per 1850 census)
- married 13 November 1825 to Anna Cummel (aka Ann Campbell) (per the Reading Adler newspaper)
- known children who were alive in 1854/1855 (per the book "A
- Mary Ann (1825 - 1872), married William Greiner
- Rachael (1827 - 1894), married Henry M. Pile
- Elmira (1829 - 1871), married Samuel Karver
- Catherine (1832 - 1871), married George R. Cooley
- Harriet (1836 - 1906), married Henry M. Sassaman (my ancestor)
- Samuel (abt 1842 - 1862), died at Ft. Ridgely, MN
- 1830 - possibly enumerated in Amity, Berks, PA as Jacob Garver - 1 male 30-40, 2 females 0-5, 1 female 5-10 and 1 female 30-40
- 1840 - possibly enumerated in Amity, Berks, PA as Jacob Gerber - 2 males 0-5, 1 male 1-15, 1 male 30-40, 1 female 0-5, 1 female 5-10, 1 female 10-15, 1 female 30-40
- 1850 - enumerated as Jacob Garver in Douglass, Berks, Pa with Elmira and Samuel; note also that the Neutralist Newspapaer (of Skippack) reported that the death of an Ann Garber, age 45, wife of Jacob, occurred on 3 Mar 1850 in Unionville, Berks County, PA - this is possibly his wife Ann Campbell Garber (burial place unknown)
- 1860 - a Jacob Carver, aged 63, was enumerated with Marianna, aged 40, Susiann, aged 5, and Esther, aged 3, in Unionville, Berks, Pa. - not known if this is the same Jaoob
- 1870 - a Jacob Carver, aged 74, enumerated at the home of Thomas Douty, aged 24, in Amity, Berks, PA - not known if this is the same Jacob
- No death or burial information has been found for Jacob
One of the challenges in researching this family is the mulitple spellings of the last name. Presumably it was originally Gerber which evolved into Garber. But I have found various church and civil records pertaining to Jacob and his children under Garver, Carver and even Garvey in addition to Garber and Gerber.
There are various Garber/Garber/etc families in Berks County and the surrounding area in the early 1800s but so far I have been unable to positively link my Jacob. The most promising lead is the estate file of an earlier Jacob Gerber who lived in Amity township and died in 1817. He was born in 1746 and is buried at the cemetery at Amityville with wife Maria. This earlier Jacob was apparently married twice. His first wife was Gertrude, with whom he had Elizabeth (b. 1772), Jacob (b. 1779), Abraham (b. 1782), John (b. 1784) and Magdalena (b. 1789). With his second wife Maria he had Susanna (b. abt 1800), Anna Maria (b. abt 1802) and Esther (b. abt 1805). My Jacob could be a grandson, but so far I can't link him to any of the above mentioned sons.
A second possibility for the parents of my Jacob is a John Gerber/Garber. John's children are named in the Chester County, PA estate file of his brother Adam Garber. Adam was originally from Douglas, Berks County, later moving across the river to North Coventry, Chester County, He was a bachelor who died intestate in 1837. His estate passed to his siblings snd the offspring of his deceased siblings. His brother John (who predeceased him) was married twice and was the father of 12 children who were alive in 1837. One of those children was named Jacob. This Jacob was born in the late 1700 to early 1800. He was still living in 1850, when additional papers were filed in his uncle Adam's estate. Was this one my Jacob? Again, I can't find any evidence to prove or disprove.
Any information relative to my Jacob and/or the families listed above would be much appreciated.
Page Last Modified: Monday, 23-Feb-2015 05:21:49 MST