Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Muffly Family Individual History


Created by Jerry McCune


NICHLAS MUFFLI 1701 - 1786
Is the founder of the family in America. He arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on October 31, 1737, on the ship "WILLIAM" from Rotterdam. He signed his name in German Niclaus Mufli, the name in German means "Chubby Cheeked". He appears to have been a man of some means and Education as well a refinement, in the ship passenger list he was listed as a cabin passenger. He became a Naturalized Colonist and took the oath of allegiance to the King of Great Britain. He settled in Germantown, now know as Philadelphia. Later he moved to Buck County, He came alone to America so presume he was unmarried. Apparently he married some "fair maiden" from Philadelphia-Miss Wyatt.
Sources: Lois Marie Mongrain Otto

PETER MUFFLY 1739 - 1816
First child of Niclaus Mufli and Miss Wyatt, Peter served in the Revolutionary War as a Private in Captain F. Coon's company, Lt. Col. Kerns regimemt. He married Catherine Reginia Wanamaker and they had four children: Peter, John, Mariah and Henry. Peter died in Towamensing Township, Northampton County now Carbon County, Pennsylvania on March 25, 1816. He, his wife, son, Nicholas and his wife are all buried in the old Towamensing Burying Ground attached to the Old Towamensing Lutheran Church near Seliegh Gap, Carbon County Pennsylvania.
Sources: Lois Marie Mongrain Otto

HEINRICH (Henry) MUFFLY 1772 - 1853
Henry the fourth child born to Peter and Catherine Regina Wannemacher Muffly died the same day on which Franklin Pierce was inaugurated President at age 81 years, and 20 days. He is buried in the Ross Township, Monroe County, Pennsylvania on March 8, 1853.
Sources: Lois Marie Mongrain Otto

LUCAS HENRY MUFFLY 1812 - 1858
He was one of 16 children born to Henry & Julia Walker Muffly. He died at the age of 45 years of Cholera.
Sources: Lois Marie Mongrain Otto

JAMES W. MUFFLY 1842 - ?
Was born in Montour county, Pennsylvania, May 17, 1842, son of Samuel and Mary (Kleppinger) Muffly, natives of Northampton County, Pennsylvania. His father came to what is now Montour County in 1837, and located upon a farm. He was a leading Whig of his section of the country. He died, July 1, 1873; his wife died in December, 1868, leaving a family of six children: Samuel K.; Catharine Walter; Maria Kamp; George H., of Illinois; Stephen J., and James W. The subject of this sketch was educated in the public schools, and at the age of twenty began to work at the carpenter trade, after which he was successively engaged in the coal and lumber business until 1876, when he, in company with Wagner Brothers, built the planning mill, and formed what is known as the Watsontown Planning Mill Company, from which he retired on the 26th of August 1890. He was married, December 19, 1882, to Sarah E. Caldwell, of Reading, Pennsylvania, and they have two children: Walter C. and William J. Mr. and Mrs. Muffly are members of the Reformed church, and he is a charter member of the Masonic Lodge, No. 401, of Watsontown.
Sources: Local History: Chapter XLVI: Biographical Sketches - WATSONTOWN: Bell's History of Northumberland Co PA. By Tony Rebuck Tar2@psu.edu

THEOPHILUS MUFFLY 1833 - 1898
First child born to Lucas Henry Muffly and Nancy Davis Eckert. Theophilus left Pennsylvania and settled in Burlington, Iowa for a time, that is where he met his wife Margaret Jerusha Byam, they were married April 09, 1862 in Bellefountain, Iowa. Thier first child was born in Burlington, Iowa August 22, 1863. Departing Burlington, Iowa the next year for Montana, the route traveled was across the plains via Bridger Cut-off, arriving in Virginia City July 10, 1864. An Lawyer by profession, was president of Madison County Pioneers, 1889 and Sec. of Society of Montana Pioneer, 1896-1898.(from "Montana Pioneers" Vol 1). From "Montana , Its Stort & Biography" - Lawyer - among those who arrived in Montana about the same time of its organization as a territory, one of the lawyers that was at openingof the Districk Count of the Judicial District, 1st Monday of December 1864 at Planters House dining room corner of Idaho & Jackson Sts, in V. C. Obit, Madisonian January 1, 1887 to December 30, 1898. Died at Helena home, funeral at 2PM Sep. - Burial at (Forestvale) cemetery by side of his daughter (Ann) who died a few years before. Was Mason before he came to MT and had Masonic connections in V.C. and Helena. Became member of the Bar 1888. Had been clerk of Court, Attorney. Register in Bankruptcy. Probate Judge, Justice of Peace and Police Magistrate. He and father-in-law Don Byam owner various mining claims around V.C. Nov. 29, 1870 he bought property, Lot 1, Blk. l98, 25 ft. front on Idaho St..extending back to alley for $500. (From Madison City Courthouse files.) Theo. was a partner in the law firm., Sterling & Muffly (1891-1984, MT)
Sources: Lois Marie Mongrain Otto

CHARLES MUFFLY 1863 - 1927
Charles was born in Virginia City, Montana,August 22, 1863 First child of Theophilus Muffly and Margaret Jerusha Byam. Charles worked (according to the Helena City Directories) as manages of the Montana Abstract Co. from 1890 t0 1898, then deputy Clerk & Recorder for the County from 1898 til 1904 along with being lessee of the Montana Abstract Co. After l904 he was lessee for the abstract company until he moved with his family to Winston in l910. In Winston he was involved with mining until his death. Also, while residing at Winston, he was elected Senator from Broadwater County for four terms on the democratic ticket. He was active in forming the Montana Mining Association and was direct head for some time. He was reported to be one of the best parliamentarians in the State. He had an elementary education. Accordint to book "Montana Legislators l865-1979" he had been a member of the National Guard. He could speak the Indian language of the local indians and was a friend and mediator for them. He died of blood poisoning at his Winston home in 1927. His daughters said he was the youngest lawyer to pass the Bar at that time.
Sources: Lois Marie Mongrain Otto

LORENZO MUFFLY 1876 - 1969
Lorenzo was born in Virginia City, Montana, July 19 1876. Fifth child of Theopolus and Margaret J. Byam Muffly. He was named for his grandfather, Lorenzo Byam, a judge. He became a registered pharmacist there at the age of 21. In l903, he moved to Quincy with his mother, who died shortly after their arrival. After passing the Illinois examination for registered pharmacists in l903, he purchased the store of Edward L. Green at Tenth and Elm. He later relocated his business at Tenth and Lind, then at Eighth and Locust, selling the store at Eighth and Locust in l916 when he became a pharmacist for the late John Hermann. In 1918, Mr. Muffly went to East Moline to manage a drug store. After World War I he returned to Quincy and was employed by Kiefer's Pharmacy. That firm later sold out to the Brown Drug Co, and Mr. Muffly found work with the Aldo Sommer Drug Co. Mr. Muffly returned to the John Hermann drug store in 1923. He worked in the prescription department until 1942 when he purchased the store and operated it until his retirement in 1957. He married Louisa M Conover June 29, 1906 in Quincy, Illinois.
Sources: Family Information

Luzerne County History
William M. Jones justice of the peace, West Hazelton. This genial and learned gentleman was born February 22, 1832, in Monroe County Pa and is the second in the family of fourteen children of Peter and Hester (Muffly) Jones, the former of Welsh extraction, the later of German. Our subject was reared and educated at his birthplace, and when quite young learned the forgeman's trade, working at it about ten years. On October 15, 1862, he answered the call of his country by enlisting in Company B, 179th PA Volunteers, and served until July 27th, 1863. As a soldier he never feared danger, and was found to be where the strife was fiercest. At the close of his service, he came to Carbon County, and was elected justice of the peace for two consecutive terms, aggregating a service of ten years. At the expiration of his term of office he came to Hazleton and was elected to the office of Justice of the Peace, two terms, a period of ten years. He has held two commissions by appointment for West Hazleton Borough, and has recently been elected to serve another five year term. In his official capacity Mr. Jones is always guided by the merits of the case on trial, and his long experience has so well fitted him for the position that he makes few, if any, mistakes in his decisions. Mr. Jones was married, February 17, 1852 to Miss Susan VanBuskirk, of Winds Gap PA, to which union were born seven children, namely: Angeline, Cecelia, Louis M. (deceased), Joseph H., Alinia (deceased),Silas E. and Marietta. Politically Mr. Jones votes with the democratic party; he is a member of the GAR. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church. Any information on this side of the family would be greatly appriciated. Thanks, Carol Spenader and Ryan Family Tree

FULLER S. DERR,
Physician and surgeon, was born in Lycoming county. Pennsylvania, November 4, 1860, son of John F. and Sarah (Houseknecht) Derr, natives of Lycoming county. Our subject's paternal great-grandfather immigrated from Germany at an early date and located in Montour county, Pennsylvania, where his grandfather, Christopher Derr, was born, and from whom the present Derr family have descended. Christopher Derr removed into Lycoming county and died there. John F. Derr is a farmer, and in 1871 he moved from Lycoming to Montour county, where he has resided ever since. He has reared nine children: Judson; Alice, wife of John Krumm; Hiram H., deceased; Fuller S.; Phebe J., wife of Albert Muffly Elmer B.; Miles J.; Homer M., and Annie F. Our subject was educated in the common schools and at Bucknell University. He began the study of medicine under Dr. E. H. Horner, of Turbutville, and was graduated from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, March 29, 1884. He immediately formed a partnership with his preceptor, which continued four years, when he removed to Watsontown, where he has since devoted his entire attention to the practice of his profession. Doctor Derr was married, December 27, 1888, to Annie Schmucker, of Watsontown, and has one child, Woods F. He is a member of the Masonic order, and one of the well known citizens of his adopted home.

GEORGE P. KAMP
Retired farmer, was born in Bavaria, Germany, May 24, 1817, son of Adam and Susan (Reider) Kamp. Adam Kamp immigrated from Germany to America in 1830 and settled in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania. He was born, May 20, 1787, and died at the home of our subject in 1869. His wife was born, August 1, 1792, and died in 1873. They reared a family of seven children; Catharine, deceased; George P.; Rosetta, wife of Aaron Gaston; Christian; John, deceased; Flora, deceased, and Sophia, deceased. Our subject received his education in his native county and the common schools of Northumberland county. His first business venture was in the mercantile trade at Turbutville, which he continued from 1847 to 1862, since which time he was farming until he retired. He was married in September 1847, to Rosannah Lantz, a sister of Simon Lantz, whose sketch appears in this volume. She died in 1861 after assisting to rear seven children born to their union: Luther, deceased; Clarinda: John P.; Charles F., an attorney of Williamsport; Simon R.; Mary deceased and William S., deceased. He was again married, in 1865, to Mary Walter, and to this union were born two children; Elizabeth, wife of William Beaver, and Rosanna, wife of Edward Waldtschmidt. His second wife died in l871, and he was again married, July 2, 1876, to Maria Muffly. Mr. Kamp is a member of the Lutheran church, and has served in the various offices of the same for thirty years. He was one of the building committee in the erection of the Lutheran church of Turbutville. His wife is a member of the Reformed church.

O. L. MUFFLY
Physician and surgeon, was born in this county, October 22, 1860. He is a son of Samuel and Charlotte (Treon) Muffly, and brother of J. W. Muffly, of Watsontown. He was educated in the public schools and McEwensville Academy. In 1882 he began the study of medicine with Dr. George Treon, of Turbutville. He attended Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, one year, and graduated at the Baltimore College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1886, and then practiced in the City hospital of Baltimore six months. In 1887 he formed a partnership with Dr. George Treon, of Turbutville, and continued to practice with him until March 1, 1890, when they dissolved. He was married, September 20, 1888, to Matilda, a daughter of Samuel Hoffman, of Delaware township, Northumberland county.

Watsontown Planing Mill Company.- In 1867 Wagner, Starr & Company erected a planing mill on the bank of the river at the present site of the water-works pumping station. It was destroyed by fire, and replaced by another of enlarged capacity; the latter was burned in 1874, and in the following year the present mill on the east side of the Philadelphia and Erie railroad between Sixth and Seventh streets was built by the Watsontown Planing Mill Company, of which J. H. Wagner, J. W. Muffly, and D. F. Wagner were the constituent members until the retirement of Mr. Muffly in 1890. The mill is one of the largest and best equipped in the West Branch valley. Thomas H. Kistner has been foreman since 1870.
Church: Burials, 1874-1907, St. John's Lutheran Church, Butler Twp, Luzerne Co., PA 24 Oct. 20, 1877 Muffly, John June 5, 1874 Oct. 17, 1877 3.3.12 diptheria Butler Ch. Butler
Ira Horn and w. Cora E. (Muffly) Josiah Franklin (b. Feb. 12, 1913; bap. June 15, 1913) Parents

Trinity Reformed Church is one of the oldest religious organizations of this denomination in Northumberland county, and worshipped in the old union church until it was destroyed by fire. The present church edifice, a substantial brick structure, was erected in 1856 under the supervision of a building committee composed of Samuel Muffly, B. H. Dreisbach, Daniel Keller, Cyrenius Bomboy, and William Levan. Reverends Daniel Gring, George Wolf, C. A. Rittenhouse, George E. Adams, D. W. Kelley, Tilghman Derr, Z. A. Yearick, Thomas S. Land, and D. E. Schoedler, present incumbent, have served as pastors since the erection of the present church building.
The Baptist Church was originally organized at Derry, Montour county, some years ago with the Dye, DeMott, Savidge, and Derr families prominent among its early membership. The place of worship was removed in 1868 to Turbutville, where the present church building on Broadway, a brick structure forty-five by seventy feet in dimensions, was erected; John Schuyler, Lewis Schuyler, and William Savidge were the trustees at that time, and the building committee was composed of John Schuyler, Lewis Schuyler, William Shires, William Savidge, Thomas N. Derr, George W. Derr, and G. B. Runyan. Since the removal of the church to Turbutville its pastors have been Reverends H. C. Monroe, J. M. Hare, and L. C. Davis.



Written and Maintained by Jerry McCune
Web site creation by...
Seguin Texas