My Gardner Ancestors
Adaline Gardner was the daughter of Levi Gardner and Lydia Stickney. She was born 13 December 1814. She married Daniel Dibble Fenn 28 MArch 1835 and had the following children: Oscar A. Fenn, born 25 June 1836; Edward J. Fenn, born 13 November 1838; Mary E. Fenn, born 17 August 1846; and Emma K. Fenn, born in 1852. Oscar A. Fenn was my GGGrandfather.
I have no information about Levi Gardner's ancestors. He was born 19 September 1785, possibly N.Y. State, but I don't know where. Based on the book "Gardiner-Gardner Genealogy," by Clara Gardner Miller and John Milton Stanton, I'm trying to locate information about Levi Gardner, b. 20 September 1751, to George Jr. (George5, Amey4, Stephen3, ?) and Sarah Boss Gardner. If you have information about this line, especially George Jr.'s son Levi, please email me!
See my graves page for an image of the recently replaced marker of Daniel D. and Adaline Gardner Fenn, and Levi and Lydia Stickney Gardner. Click here for a comparison of the present-day view of the farm house of Levi & Lydia and an artist's drawing from an 1880s atlas of Medina County. Thanks to cousin Anita for the pic and the grave marker pics.
The 10 Children of Levi and Lydia Stickney Gardner were:
- James Gardner, b. 21 March 1809, married twice. He was deeded land in Medina Co. by his father in 1833. He then sold it to Peter Van Dorn in 1834. Nothing further known.
- Levi Gardner Jr., b. 15 October 1810 in Genesee Co., N.Y., married Lydia Bishop (17 April 1837), Ellen Chapin (31 march 1863), and Mrs. Mary Ford (03 November 1881). d. 09 April 1886 in York Township, Medina Co., Ohio.
- Keziah Gardner, b. 8 Dec. 1812, m. Peter Van Dorn, 27 August 1834, 6 children.
- Adaline Gardner, b. 13 Dec1814, m. Daniel Dibble Fenn, 28 March 1835; d. 1893, probably in Creston Ohio at the residence of daughter Emma Keziah Fenn Baird. Buried with husband Daniel in Stanton, Mi.
- Rueben Gardner, b. 06 December 1816, d. 01 September 1901, in York Township, Medina Co., Ohio. Married Mary E. Branch, daughter of "Judge" Levi Branch and Polly Stone, on 9 August 1840, 11 children, one of whom died in infancy. Source: History of Medina Co., OH, (Baskin & Battey - 1881), Page 734. Thanks to Jean Best for that information!
- William Henry Gardner, b. 1818, m. Elizabeth Branch on 27 November 1839, 4 children: Clark, b. 1842; Francis, b. 1844; Darwin, b. 1849; Willie, b. 1852. Source: 1860 Medina Co. Census (Thanks, Karen!). William d. in Dec. 1853. Elizabeth Branch was b. abt. 1821 in MA., died in Pentwater, MI., returned to York Township, Medina Co., for burial. The 1860 census also lists 82-year-old Mary Branch as living with the family.
- Julius Gardner, b. 26 April 1820, m. Mary J. Gregory, 4 September 1844, 10 children. Last child (?) was named William H., born 16 April 1867 in Sparta, Kent, MI. His probable son, Julius W., b. 1900, d. 1975 in Downer's Grove, DuPage, IL.
- Sarah S. Gardner, b. 1 Jan. 1824, d. 1908, m. Elisha A. Branch 16 November 1842, Medina Co., Ohio, 6 children. Source of marriage date/place - LDS IGI record.
- Amos Gardner, b. 10 Sept. 1826, d. 1902, m. Margaret Tiffany, 2 children.
- Marieta Gardner, b. 6 Nov. 1829, m. Sidney D. (Davis?) Abbott, 4 April 1850, possibly 1 child named Lelia. Marieta m. 2nd., Henry Courter.
- "Genealogy of Rueben Stickney, Required by His Descendants to Join The Daughters of the American Revolution." Compiled by Milo E. Branch, Medina, Ohio, May 17, 1931.
- Levi Gardner's Last Will and Testament, from Medina County, Ohio, Probate Court Records.
- Medina County, Ohio, Probate Court Records; U.S. Census, 1840 - 1870; "Tombstone Inscriptions from the Cemeteries in Medina County, Ohio, 1983; "Whispers From The Past," Compiled by The Medina County Genealogical Society.
- "The Stickney Family: A Genealogical Memoir of the Descendants of William and Elizabeth Stickney from 1637 to 1869." Matthew Adams Stickney's 1869 Book.