SCHUELERs & SCHULERs of Erie County, NYIn my effort to track the descendants of Catherine SCHMIDT (sister to my great-grandfather, Philipp Leonhard SCHMIDT), I am trying to figure out information about the man she married, Frank SCHUELER (b. July 1849). This is requiring me to become a bit familiar with the SCHUELER and SCHULER lines of Buffalo. I have compiled the following from what's been posted over the last several months to the SCHUELER/SCHULER message boards. (Kathy Kopp, I hope I got this right...) If you have any additional information about these or other SCHUELER/SCHULER lines of Buffalo, please contact me. (This and other email addresses have been modified to diminish spam.) Please also see Kathy Kopp's excellent compilation of Buffalo Schuelers from city directory listings.
Last updated: 12 Nov 2005
Each of these lines has its own message board at Rootsweb/Ancestry and GENFORUM:
|SCHUELER Message Board (not linked with any mailing list)||SCHUELER|
|SCHULER (linked with SCHULER-L mailing list.||SCHULER|
The oldest Buffalonian Schueler (that I've found so far-- thanks to Kathy Kopp) is:
Christian SCHUELER, b. abt. 1794 Kurhessen, Hesse Darmstadt (he's 75 in the 1870 census); emig. (arrived U.S.) 22 Jul 1844 (with wife and 8 children); d. 6 Mar 1880 Buffalo, NY. He was a farmer, gardener, laborer and milkman.
m. bef. 1821 Anna Maria-Mary Unknown, b. abt. 1794 Hesse Darmstadt (also age 75 in 1870 census); d. 17 February 1880 Buffalo, NY.
Both are buried at Pine Hill Cemetery (United German & French R.C. Cemetery, Lot 42, Section F, Graves 3 and 2), Cheektowaga, Erie, NY. 1850: Black Rock (Sheller); 1855: 6th ward (Schiller); 1860: 6th ward (Schuler); 1865: 6th ward (Schueler); 1870: 7th ward (Schueler); 1880: 6th ward. See more information compiled by Kathy Kopp. Known children:
- Joseph John SCHUELER*, b. 1822 Hesse Darmstadt, teamster. (In Christian, Sr.'s will, above, Joseph is identified as Christian's son (and petitioner); can't find in 1850 census.
m1. abt. 1844 Clara Brown , b. 1830 in Bavaria; d. 27 Dec 1865. m2. abt. 1866 Theresa "Carry" Unknown, b. abt. 1845 NY (incorrectly identified as "Carry" dau of Joseph in 1880 census. Found in the following Censuses: 1855, 1860 (6th ward), 1865 (6th ward), 1870, 1880.
- Anna SCHUELER, b. abt. 1851 (in 1860 census, not 1870)
- Christina SCHUELER, b. NY abt. 1853
- Christian SCHUELER, b. NY abt. 1856 (right age for Jeffrey Wedding's "Christopher"); in 1870 census
- Frank SCHUELER, b. NY abt. 1858; in 1870 census
- Dina SCHUELER, b. NY abt. 1859 ("Josephina" in 1860 census)
- Joseph SCHUELER, b. NY abt. 1862; in 1870 census
- Louisa SCHUELER, b. NY abt. 1867; in 1870 census
- Charles SCHUELER, b. NY abt. 1869 ; in 1870 census
- William SCHUELER, b. abt. 1871 NY (1880 census)
- Anton SCHUELER, b. abt. 1873 NY (1880 census)
- Mary SCHUELER, b. abt. 1875 NY (1880 c.)
- [Pau]Lena SCHUELER, b. abt. 1877 NY (1880 c.)
- Margaret (aka Maria) SCHUELER b. Dec 1824 (24 and single with Christian in 1850 census) (also identified as Christian's daughter in his will), m. abt. 1852 Andrew HOTTINGER, b. Germany.
Buried at Pine Hill Cemetery (UG&F). She's single, living with her parents in 1850 census. They are living with her parents in 1860 census with the following children:
- John Hottinger, b. abt. 1855
- Frank J. Hottinger b. abt. 1856
- Adam J. Hottinger, b. abt. 1857
- Charles F. Hottinger, b. abt. 1858
- Johann Paul (aka John) SCHUELER*, b. 1828 Hesse Darmstadt; tailor; emig. around 1844 (38 years in US per 1882 death certificate); d. 14 June 1882, 563 Monroe St., Buffalo, NY; bur. 18 June 1882, Pine Hill (UG&F) Cemetery, Cheektowaga, NY; See his will. Cannot find him in 1850 census.
m. before 1852 Mary Magdalena UHLMANN (daughter of Franz Joseph UHLMANN and Friedericka Johanna Dorothea RAU (found in 1850 census living with Frances Tries and Francis & Eliz. Heffner); b. 19 Nov 1836 Barenstein, Jagstkreis, Wuerttemberg; d. 16 July 1906, Buffalo, NY; bur. Pine Hill Cemetery, Cheektowaga, NY. She can be found in the 1890 city directory as Mrs. Magdalena SCHEELER, at 563 Monroe. Censuses: 1855: 6th ward; 1860 6th ward; 1865: 6th ward; 1870: 6th ward; 1880: 6th ward; widow found in 1890 directory; she's also in 1900 census (13th ward). From descendant Kathy Kopp: their oldest son was born in Erie, Erie, PA, all other children were born in Buffalo, Erie, New York State. Mary Magdalena Uhlmann's 2 sister resided in Erie, Erie, PA.
- John Christian SCHUELER, stovemounter, b. Jan 1854 Erie, PA. There's a John C. SCHEELER, plumber, at 349 High Street in 1890 city directory; m. Margaret Unknown. Three children.
- Theresa SCHUELER, tailoress, b. 6 Oct 1856 per Kathy Kopp; d. 11 Feb 1912; m. Peter COLE (KOHLER per Theresa's father's will). 10-11 children.
- Maria/Mary SCHULER, b. abt. 1857; m. bef. 1885 George KOLLER; three children.. (alive in 1900 census)
- Anna Maria SCHULER, b. 10 May 1860; d. 10 Jan 1889; m. 24 JUNE 1879 John L. LICHTENTAL Six children.
- Mary Magdalena SCHULER, b. 10 July 1862; d. 16 May 1938 Cheektowaga; m. bef. 1882 John Frank FENZEL/FENSIL. Kathy Kopp's line. 13 children.
- Elisabetha M. SCHULER, b. 6 Nov. 1864; d. 6 March 1930; m. 6 Nov 1882 John Andrew SCHMITT. 14 children.
- Catharine SCHULER, b. 12 July 1865/66 (in her father's will; not in 1870 census); m. John Andrew SETTER. 5 children.
- Anton/Andrew R. SCHEELAR, b. 29 March 1867; d. 25 March 1945; buried at Pine Hill. See this message from Kathy Kopp that may indicate his wife and family, also buried at Pine Hill (UF&G?).
m. Ida BUCKHOLZ, b. 1868; d. 1938. [Researcher Donna Barnes is descended from this line, as is researcher Debra Scheelar.] An Andrew Schueler is living with a John Schmitt per the 1890 city directory. Children (all info provided by Debra Scheelar):
- Earl Scheelar (married with children)
- Delavine Scheelar (m. HILLGEN no children)
- John Scheelar (unmarried, no children per)
- Amelia Scheelar (m. ZELMA had children)
- Andrew Scheelar, Jr., (unmarried per)
- Florence Scheelar (m. BLEB; had children)
- Magdalena Scheelar (unmarried per)
- Idea Scheelar (m. SONTAC, had children)
- Clarence Scheelar (unmarried)
- Joseph Scheelar (married with children)
- George SCHEELAR m. J. Emma ULRICH
- Norwood Andrew SCHEELAR, m1. Lorraine NETTER, d. 29 Oct 1961; m2. abt. 1976 Susan DRYDEN
- Donna SCHEELAR (researcher) m. BARNES
- Dale Andrew SCHEELAR m. Anne PETRIE
- Donald Robert SCHEELAR m. Jill FROMMER
- Robert A. SCHEELAR, d. 22 Apr 1987 Hamburg, NY; m. Dolores (Dee) BRADY. From obituary, children are:
- Timothy SCHEELER
- Robert SCHEELER m. Maureen Unknown
- Robin Buskirk SCHEELER
- Terry SCHEELER
- Susan SCHEELER
- Andrew SCHEELER
- Debra SCHEELER (researcher)
- June SCHEELAR m. Unknown HUNTER
- Norwood Andrew SCHEELAR, m1. Lorraine NETTER, d. 29 Oct 1961; m2. abt. 1976 Susan DRYDEN
- Christian SCHUELER, b. Sept. 1869 Buffalo; m. Anna Maria Unknown; unknown children.
- Katherine SCHUELER b. 1832 Germany (identified as Christian's daughter in his will; also in 1850 US and 1855 NY state census), m. John KESSEL (per same will). NOTE: John Kessel shows up as witness to Frank [G/Kraus?] Schueler's marriage to Catharina Schmidt in 1871. This family can be found in 6th ward in 1860 census with children:
- John Kessel (b. 1853)
- Magdalena Kessel (b. 1856)
- Mary Dessel (b. 1859/60)
- Gertrude-Josephine SCHUELER, b. 1834 Curhessen Darmstadt; d. 29 Oct 1884. In 1850 with parents as "Josephine, 16"; in 1855 as "Eva", 23; in 1860 with parents as "Gertrude J., 26". In Christian's will, identified as his daughter, Josephine Schaefer; m. John SCHAEFER.
Known children (per Kathy Kopp). Last seen in census in 1865, still single with parents.
- Franz/Frank SCHUELER*, b. btw. 1835-1837 (18 in 1855 NY state census) Curhessen Darmstadt; teamster Not in 1850 census.
m. abt. 1863. Dorthea Margaret Knecht, b. abt. 1835 Bavaria. Frank identified as Christian's son in the latter's will. Children all born NY:
- Christian Schueler, b. abt. 1864
- John Schueler, b. abt. 1866
- Margaretha Schueler, b. abt 1867
- Maria/Mary T. SCHUELER b. Dec 1839 Germany; (also identified as Christian's daughter in his will), m. abt. 1863 Andrew/Johan Zindel (d. 11 Apr 1880).
With parents in both 1850, 1855 and 1860 census records.
Found in 1900 census, age 60.
- Christina SCHUELER b. 1841 (14 in 1855 NY state census; not with them in 1850 census unless it's the "Christian, 8, m"; is with them in 1860) (identified as Christian's daughter in his will); d. 1924; m. abt. 1867 Anton GOLDSMITH (b. 2 Dec 1842; d. 11 Oct 1871). Both buried at Pine Hill (UG&F) cemetery. Living next door to or with her parents in 1870, married and with the following children:
- Christian Goldsmith, b. abt. 1868
- Anthon (Jr.?) Goldsmith, b. abt. Dec 1869
* In the 6th ward, in 1870, these three SCHUELER families are living, it looks like, on the same street, and two sets of them are living next door to each other.
Other Early Buffalo SchuelersA. M. Schuler, b. abt. 1804 Germany, can be found in Black Rock in the 1850 census, age 46, laborer; m. Gertrude, 46 (b. abt. 1804 Germ) with these children:
- Anna Schuler, b. abt. 1838 Germany
- Peter Schuler, b. abt. 1841, Germany
- Elizabeth Schuler, b. abt. 1842 NY
- Mary Schuler, b. abt. 1844 NY
- Lana Schuler, b. abt. 1847 NY
B. John Martin SCHUELER, b. 1821 Hesse Darmstadt. Can't find in 1850 census.
C. Gottlieb SCHUELER, b. 1840 Wurttemberg. There's a Gottlieb Schuler, working at J.J. & G.S., printer, 374 Front Avenue, in the 1890 city directory. There's also a Godleip, son of John & Annie Schuler, b. abt. 1837. He's not in 1850 census.
D. Martin John SCHUELER, b. 1840/41 Hessen Darmstadt. See J. M. Schueler in 1880 census below; right age. Not in 1850 census.
Here is the Frank SCHUELER that I am trying to link into the above. On three different NY State Censuses there is a Frank K/GRAUS -- grandson? to Christian SCHUELER -- living with Christian's family above-- b. 1849 who the third time shows up as Frank SCHUELER, b. 1849. Looks quite possible that "my" Frank Schueler started out as Frank G/KRAUS, but was raised by his grandfather and ultimately (by his 1874 marriage) took his last name. The question is: which daughter of Christian's was Frank GRAUS's mother? Can't find him in 1850 census; in 1860, he's Frank Graus living with Christian & Anna, age 11; in 1870 he is the Frank Kraus, 21, b. NY, apprentice carpenter, living in same household with Christian's daughter, Christine Schueler Goldsmit (and next door to Christian). (By the way, this is on the same page as Philippina Betz Schauf, whose sister Elisabetha's daughter, Catherine Schmidt, marries Frank Schueler abt. 1872.) See family photo.
Frank Schueler b: July 1849 in New York; d: 17 Jan 1911 in Buffalo, Erie County, NY (not on 1920 census);
m. Catharina Schmidt, b: 31 August 1849 in Buffalo, New York; d: 1 Mar 1933 Buffalo.
- John Schueler, b: 1873 in New York, d: Aft. 1930 (he's in 1930 census living with his mother and siblings)
m. abt. 1895 Josephine Walfire(?); d: Bef. 1920 (husband's a widow in 1920 census) [but there's a Josephine Schueler d. 26 Jul 1977 in family plot at UG&F.]
- Mable Schueler b: Abt. 1896; m. 30 Jul 1918 Walter A. Wilson
- Florence Schueler, b. abt. 1897
- Gennie?/Jeannette Schueler, b. abt. 1900 (living with her father in 1920 census)
- Jennie Schueler b: 1873; d. 7 Apr 1951, age 78 single.
- Charles Schueler, b: 1875 in New York;
- Mary Schueler b: 1877 or Jan 1879 in New York; m. 2 Sep 1897 Charles Roth, b. Jun 1876, machinist. Found in 1900 census with these children:
- Helen Roth, b. August 1896 (their marriage certificate says this is first marriage for both)
- Charles Roth (Jr.), b. October 1897
- Frank L. Schueler, b: 1883; d. 12 May 1944; m1. 11 Jun 1918 Margaret Frischolz (widow Teschemacher); m2. 15 May 1919 Anna Frischolz (widow of Bernhardt). (Both women were sisters.)
- Rosa Schueler b: 05 June 1887 in Buffalo, Erie Co, NY d: January 1987 in Buffalo, Erie Co, NY
m. Henry R. Deinzer, b. abt. 1886; d. 4 Jan 1940. In 1930, the Deinzers lived at 140 Brunswick Boulevard (district 164); Henry was a foreman at a "clothcutting" company.
- Edna R. Deinzer b: Abt. Jan. 1910; m. Joseph MILLER aft. 1930 (she's still single and living with family in 1930 census); still alive as of June 2002 obituary of her sister. A "Baby Boy Miller" is buried at family plot, having died 29 Oct 1949. HAD CHILDREN according to obits of her sisters. Darcy is in touch with Edna; she's still alive.
- Dorothy Deinzer, b. 26 Feb 1912; d. 15 June 2002. Twin. Single. Worked at NY Telephone.
- Marion / Mary Ann Deinzer, b. 26 Feb 1912; d. 28 July 2001 Buffalo. Twin. Single. Worked at NY Telephone.
And here is the SCHUELER line that Jeffrey Wedding is researching [updated 14 Feb 2003]:
Christopher Schuler, b. abt. 1856 NY; d. aft. 1920; occ. factory worker; m. Mary Magdalena Unknown, b. abt. 1861 NY; d. aft. 1920. Both sets of parents born Germany; wife's parents possibly from Frankfurt. Living with son in 1920 census.
- John C. Schueler, b. abt. 1885 Buffalo; d. aft. 1920; occ. carpenter for railroad; m. Eva COOK, b. 1 or 2 Jan 1900 Buffalo; d. Oct 1971 Buffalo; her mother b. France (but German speaking; Alsace?); all other parents b. NY.
- Mary Schueler (b. abt. 1911 NY)
- Magdelena Schueler (b. abt. 1912 NY)
- George Schueler (b. abt. 1919 NY)
- Joseph Schueler (b. aft 1920 NY)
- John Christian Schueler (b. 9 Aug 1916 Buffalo; d. 8 Mar 1970 Buffalo; m. 1943 Jean Marie Hartman (1923-1979). John served in WWII; after returning home, he lived with his wife's family (on Unger St.), then bought his own home (on Cantwell Drive). John worked for Bethleham Steel Co.
- John Schueler (living)
- Bonnie Schueler (living)
- Chris (also working on this tree)
- Deborah Ann Schueler (living) m. Ernest Andrew Devald (living)
- Stacy Renee Devald (living) m. Jeffrey Robert Wedding (living; researcher)
Other, Yet-to-be-identified Buffalo SCHUELERs
- Caroline Schueler found in St. Paul/Mark's getting married on 1 March 1849 to George Schubert.
- Joshua Shuler found in the 1850 census, Black Rock (ancestry.com image #49), age 33, laborer, b. NY; married to Elizabeth, 31, b. Indiana. Children:
- William Shuler, 4 (b. 1846, Illinois)
- Henry Shuler, 6? (b. 1844, Indiana)
- Thomas Shuler, 3 (b. 1847, Indiana)
- Conrad Schueler / Schuler found in St. Peters German Evangelical Church on 16 July 1851 marrying Christine Ruppel. Witnesses: Georg Dresle; Reinhardt Betsling. (Spellings of witnesses' surnames may be off.) A Conrad Schuler is found for many years in the Buffalo city directories as a grocer living on William. If this is the same man, his first wife either dies or they divorce (less likely), as Conrad the grocer is found in the 1880 census, age 57 of Baden, with a wife, Magdalena, age 47, from Alsace, and several children (see below). In the 1890 Buffalo city directory, living at 214 William is Roman Schuler running a grocery and saloon. There is also a Conrad Schuler, land agent, at 369 Best. Children of Conrad Schuler, the grocer, per the 1880 census:
- Max SCHULER, b. abt. 1859 NY
- Magdalena SCHULER, b. abt. 1863 NY
- Adelaine SCHULER, b. abt. 1866 NY
- Josephine SCHULER, b. abt. 1868 NY
- Edward SCHULER, b. abt. 1870 NY
- Rosa SCHULER, b. abt. 1875 NY
- Carry SCHULER, b. abt. 1877 NY
- (Johann/John) Michael Schuler found in St. Peters German Evangelical Church, baptizing children with wife (Eva) Rosina Unknown (surname not provided). They're also in the 1880 census, indicating he was born abt. 1821 Wurttemberg; She was born abt. 1824, Wurttemberg. In 1880, John is a carpenter. Children.
- Carl Wilhelm Schuler, b. 15 Feb 1850; baptized 27 Mar 1850. Sponsors are Jacob Rechner, Rosina Pastorini. In 1880, he appears (as "Carl") to be working with his father as a wood carver.
- Maria Julia Schuler, b. 11 Aug 1851; baptized 21 Dec 1851? Spnosors are Jacob Rohner, Maria Stauch.
- Lydia Schuler, b. abt. 1860 (age 20 in 1880 census).
- Anna Schueler (Schuler with umlaut over 'u'), b. 11 Dec 1864 in Buffalo; married on 27 Nov 1889 to Johann L. Fischer, b. 9 Feb 1868 in Buffalo. Witnesses: Daniel Meyer, Christina Fischer. (From St. Peters German Evangelical Church, marriages, p. 216, line #48)
- Charles Schuler, d. 13 June 1914. Buried by Trinity Lutheran.
- Charles F. Schuler, d. May 1916. Buried by St. Stephens.
- John Schuler, d. 1 Sep 1905. Buried by St. Stephens.
- L.L. Schuller, d. 5 Mar 1897. Buried by St. Stephens.
Schuelers (etc.) in the 1870 Census
- Adam Schuler, 34, cooper, b. Wurttemberg; 12th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, p. 58 (handwritten); m.
Margaret, 34, keep house, b. Bavaria. Children:
- Mathias Schuler, 17, cooper, b. NY
- Magdalena Schuler, 10, b. NY
- Andrew Schaller, 50, shoemaker, born France; m. Catharine 45, b. France.
- Andrew Schaller, 16, b. NY
- Catharine Schaller, 12
- Joseph Schaller, 9
- Mary Schaller, 7
- Augusta Schuler, 20, no occupation, but enumerated the Pearson family Niagara City, Niagara County, NY, p. 384 (stamped). Perhaps a servant?
- Christian Schueler, 75, laborer, b. Hesse Darmstadt; 6th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, p. 115 (stamped); m. Anna M. , 75, b. Hesse Darmstadt.
- Christian Schueler ( Schuller), 45, farmer, born Germany; West Seneca, Erie County
m. Gertrude, 43, born Germany. Children:
- Louisa, 12, born NY
- John, 9, born NY
- Christian Schuehle, 29, dom. servant, b. Baden; 11th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, p. 171
- Frank Schueler, 35, teamster, b. Curhesse; 6th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, p. 109 (stamped); m.
Dorthea, 34, keeping hosue, b. Bavaria. Children:
- Christian Schueler, 6, b. NY
- John Schueler, 4, b. NY
- Margaret Schueler, 3, b. NY
- Jacob Schueler, 31, stone mason, b. [Heisheim?] Hesse Darmstadt; 7th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY; m.
Margaret [Feldman], 32, keeping house, b. Hesse Darmstadt. [Jacob's death is found in St. Peters, p. 148, #26: 2 Mar 1882, age 41y, 10m, 20d; b. 12 Apr 1839; left widow and 13 children?] Children:
- John Schueler, 2, b. NY
- John Schuler, 61, [can't make out occupation], b. Wurtemberg; 8th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY; m.
Anna, 54, keeping house, b. Wurttemberg; Children:
- John Schuler, 34, clerk in store, b. Wurttemberg
- Gottlieb Schuler, 32, printer, b. Wurttemberg
- Anna Schuler, 22, at home, b. Wurttemberg
- John Schuler, 43, work in planing mill, b. Bavaria; 7th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, p. 188 (stamped); m.
Margaret, 39, keeping house, b. Bavaria. No children?
- John J. Schueler, 42, tailor, b. Hesse Darmstadt; m. Mary, 35, b. Wurttemberg
- John C. Schueler, 17, stove mounter
- Theresa Schueler, 16
- John M. Schuler, 29, piano maker, b. Wurttemberg; 7th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, (p. 144 - handwritten); m.
Margaret, 25, keeping house, b. Hesse Darmstadt (top of p. 223 (stamped). Children:
- Anna Schuler, 4, b. NY
- Emmeline? Schuler, 2, b. NY
- John P. Schuler, 50, joiner, b. Wurttemberg; 7th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY; m.
Rosena, 45, keeping house, b. Wurttemberg. Children:
- Charles Schuler, 20, carver, b. NY
- Julie Schuler, 18, at home, b. NY
- Rose Schuler, 16, at home, b. NY
- Sidy or Lidy Schuler (female), 13, b. NY
- Edward Schuler, 11, b. NY
- John P. Schueler, 42, tailor, b. Hesse Darmstadt; 6th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, p. 109; m.
Mary Schueler, 35, keeping house, b. Wurttemberg. Children:
- John C. Schueler, 17, stove mounter, b. NY
- Theresa Schueler, 16, tailoress, b. NY
- Mary, 13, b. NY
- Anna, 10, b. NY
- Magdalen, 8, b. NY
- Elizabeth, 6, b. NY
- Andrew, 3, b. NY
- Christian, 10 months, b. NY
- Joseph Schul, 17, butcher, b. NY [enum. with Mary (24) and Frank? (25) Brandle or Prandle, butcher); 10th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, p. 553 (stamped)
- Joseph Schueler, 48, teamster, b. Hesse Darmstadt; 6th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY, p. 109
m? Theresa, 25 (young enough to be a daughter, too; if wife, a second one--
see age of next offspring.).
- Christine Schueler, 17
- Christian Schueler, 14
- Frank Schueler, 12
- Dina Schueler 11
- Joseph Schueler, 8
- Louisa Schueler 3
- Charles Schueler, 1
- Joseph Schuler, 50, street paver, b. Bavaria; 7th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY (enum. with Christoph Opmann)
; m. Margaret, 47, keeping house, b. Bavaria. Children:
- Nickols Schuler, 17, work in tanner, b. NY
- George Schuler, 13, sewing, b. NY
- Jacob Schuler, 11, attending school, b. NY
- Maria Schuler, 8, attending school, b. NY
- Anna Schuler, 6, at home, b. NY
- Margaret, 4, at home, b. NY
- William Schuler, 6, at school, born NY; 12th ward, Buffalo, Erie County (Poor House) (did not find any other Schulers in this poor house)
- William Schuler, 58, farmer, b. Wurttemberg, West Seneca, Erie County; m. Margareth, 61, b. Wurttemberg
Mike Schuler, 39, laborer, b. Hesse darmstadt; 11th ward, Buffalo, Erie Co., NY; m.
Margt, 39, keeping house, b. Prussia. Children:
- John Schuler, 16, laborer, b. NY
- Josephina, 10, at school, b. NY
- Joseph, 8, at school, b. NY
- Mary, 6, at school, b. NY
- Barbara, 3, b. NY
- Edward, 5 months, b NY
Buffalo Schulers in 1880 Census
- Michael SCHULER, age 47, born BAVARIA; Laborer; m. Magerett, age 47, b. BAVARIA. Children at home in 1880:
- John SCHULER, 25 (NY), Gardner
- Mary SCHULER, 16 (NY), Dress Maker
- Joseph SCHULER, 18 (NY), Brick Maker
- Barbara SCHULER, 13 (NY)
- Edward SCHULER, 10 (NY)
- William SCHULER, 8 (NY)
- Louisa SCHULER, 4 (NY)
- John Schuler, age 44 (Bavaria); m. to Margaret, age 49 (Bavaria). No children listed with them. 7th ward.
- John Schuler, age 70 (GER), Retail Grocer; m. Annie, age 62 (GER). Children in 1880 census:
- Godleip Schuler, 43 (GER), Clerk in store
- John Schuler, 45 (GER), Clerk in store
- Annie Schuler, 32
- J.M. Schuler [might be the "Martin John" Schueler, son of Christian, above.], b. abt. 1843 (WER), Pianomaker, m. Annie M., b. abt. 1845 (Darmstadt). Children (on 1880 census):
- Annie Schuler, b. abt. 1867 (NY)
- Amelia Schuler, b. abt. 1870 (NY)
- Marie Schuler, b. abt. 1876 (NY)
- John Schuler, b. abt. 1879 (NY)
SCHULERs/SCHUELERs in the 1890 Buffalo City Directory
- Adolph Schuler, Jacob Dold Packing Co., 736 William
- Adolph W. Schuler, meat market, 2055 Niagara, 2194 Niagara
- Andrew Schueler, lather, 927 Jefferson (a John Schmitt is also listed at 927 Jefferson)
- Casper Schueler, laborer, over 19 Camp (a Heinike, Vosher, Wocher collection is listed at 19 Camp)
- Charles Schueler, cagemaker, 51 N. Division; 152 James (I think the Division address is a business address based on who else is at that location; living at 152 James is Mrs. Theresa Schueler (likely a widow), and William Schueler, and a John M. Rohr. Likely family grouping is that Charles and William are sons of widow Theresa.
- Charles Schuler, bartender, 436 Michigan
- Charles Schuler, machine hand, 824 Seneca; b. 96 Coit (one of these is a business address)
- Charles W. Schuler, NYCRR, clerk, 96 Coit
- Charles W. Schuler, wood carver, 72 Elm
- Christ Schuler, carpenter, 302 Northampton
- Christian Schueler, teamster, 518 High. Also living at this is address is a Michael Arschel, laborer.
- Christian Schueler, cagemaker, 51 N. Division; 242 Fox (one of those is a business address; see Charles, above). Also living at 242 Fox is Charles Fensterwald/Finsterwald.
- Conrad Schuler, land agent, 369 Best
- Edward Schuler, clerk, 369 Best
- Edward Schuler, machine hand, 42 Rohr
- Mrs. Elizabeth Schuler, 16 Dart (likely a widow)
- Frank Schueler, grocer and saloon, 695 Genesee. This is the Frank Schueler m. Catherine Schmidt that Jillaine Smith is researching (see above).
- Frank Schueler, grocer and saloon, 55 A Street. I wonder if this is the same Frank Schueler and this is the address of the grocery/saloon; I know that the 695 Genesee address is a home. There is nothing else listed at 55 A Street.
- Frank Schuler, laborer, 567 Monroe (See Tony below)
- Frank J. Shuler, bookkeeper, 51 N. Division, 133 Parkk
- Gottlieb Schuler, J.J. & G.S., printer, 374 Front Avenue.
- John Schueler, cage maker, 695 Genesee. Mm... same house as "my" Frank, above... Frank had a son who would be 17 by 1890; this could be him.
- John Schueler, Cosack & Co., pressman, b. 114 Lemon; he's living below Emmanuel Hummel, tanner; and S. N. Widdup, clerk at Kurtzman & Co.
- John Schuler, carpenter, 166 Peach
- John Schuler, teamster, 258 Bryant, 28 Ferguson Avenue (one of these is a business address)
- John Jacob Schuler, J.J. & G.S., 374 Front Avenue.
- John M. Schuler, piano tuner, 46 Dodge
- Joseph Schuler, car repairer, 498 Adams
- Joseph A. Schuler, carriage blacksmith, 391 Massachusetts
- Matthias Schuler, shoemaker, 259 Amherst
- Michael Schuler, 42 Rohr
- Roman Schuler, grocer and saloon, 214 William
- Mrs. Theresa Schueler, seamstress, 152 James
- Tony Schueler, tailor, 593 Adams, 567 Monroe (one of these would be a business address). I think that the Adams address is the business; others listed there are tailors and buttonholemakers. A Frank Schuler (without the "e") is also listed at this address; laborer.
- William Schueler, 152 James (likely son of widow Theresa, above) --May be ancestor of researcher C. J. Schueller. See this message board posting (and responses).
- William Schuler 42 Rohr
- There are also a number of SCHEELERs (John, Joseph, Mrs. Magdalena, Martin, Martin Jr., Philip (2), and Rosa M.) in the 1890 directory.
Other Mystery SCHUELER/SCHULERs
- John SCHULER, b. abt. 1830 (age 30 in 1860 census) in Wurttemberg; m. Mary Unknown, b. abt. 1833 Darmstadt. Mary's maiden name might be Froning, as there is a Catharine Froning, age 50, of Darmstadt, living with her in 1860. (1860 Census, Buffalo, ward 7, page 120.)
- Anna Schuler, b. abt. 1859 NY
- John SCHUELER [not clear which John he is from above] m. Barbara KUHN
- Johannes Jacob Schueler, b. 30 Apr 1895; baptized St. Peters 5/26/1895
- Elisabeth Emma Schueler, b. 4 Jun 1898; baptized St> Peters 19 Jun 1898
- C. J. Schueler is trying to track down the family of: Joseph Schueler m. Teresa Hielmeier
- John William Schueler, b. abt. 1879 Buffalo (age 21 at marriage); lived at 104 Mohr Avenue, Buffalo, NY; railroad car builder;
m. 24 April 1900 Katherine Schan, b. abt. 1879 (21 at marriage)(daughter of Fred Schan and Phoebe Schaefer; lived in Cheektowaga, NY)
- Fred is trying to learn more about his ancestor, David J. SCHULER, b. abt. 1872 New York; m. Jeanette E. UNKNOWN, b. abt. 1873 NY. Lived in Niagara Falls, Canada after 1910. Children:
- Jeanette SCHULER
- Richard SCHULER
- Robert SCHULER, b. 17 Nov 1902 Dekalb Avenue, Brooklyn, NY [Fred is descended from this line.]
- Chuck Schueler is trying to find information about his grandfather, John Schueler, b. 21 Jan 1880; d. 1 Nov 1960; m. Katherine Schoen, b. 1 Jun 1878 Ruthweiler, Germany; d. 18 Jan 1962. Lived in and around Buffalo. We find them in Buffalo City in 1920 census, and Cheektowaga in the 1930 census. They're on GIlbert Avenue in 1910; and Mohr Avenue in 1900.
- Viola Schueler, b. abt. 1902 (not with them in 1930)
- Clarence Schueler, b. abt. 1903 (not with them in 1930)
- Howard Schueler, b. abt. 1908
- John W. Schueler, b. abt. 1910
- Beatrice Schueler, b. abt. 1915
- Herbert Schueler, b. abt. 1920