Buffalo East Side Maps
- 1894 City Atlas of Buffalo, NY enables you to click on particular neighborhoods-- including the old East Side, and see pretty detailed drawings with identifying notes.
- East Side Neighborhood from the University of Buffalo Library, includes photos (past and present) of the neighborhood. UPDATED Link!
- 1866 Erie County Maps for Sale
- 1951 Erie County Arial Maps from the Erie County government site. (Large files)
Some of the following maps were taken from this 1906 Buffalo Map Tool from the Library of Congress; this tool is most amazing; allows you to zoom in on particular neighborhoods. Sluggish on a slow connection.
New! Working group member Joe Hayden recommends downloading the MrSid viewer, where you can also download the map itself and use offline. Wonderful for those of us with slower Internet connections. [Update: Fixed broken URL 2 Nov 2005.]
Washington Market (87k)
Jillaine Smith's & Darcy McCabe's great-great-grandmother, Regina Erhardt Fassnacht, created a successful fishmarket here that lasted many generations.
- Census Wards of the East Side in 1915 (432k)
- 1896 Buffalo Map (detail of East Side) (204k)
- While not specific to the Buffalo East side, this is an interesting map depicting the spread of German-born Americans in 1890. [Corrected URL]