Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Camp Sutton opened in Monroe, Union County, NC on March 7, 1942 as an army training camp. It was named for Frank Sutton, the first of many from Union County to die in the war. Camp Sutton was designed to house and train 18,750 soldiers and was later expanded. From 1944-1946 it served as a German POW camp.

Today, the area that was once Camp Sutton has now been developed for other uses, mostly commercial.
Very few of the original buildings remain standing.
Over 140 young men from Union County died
during the war, and the
Gold Star Mothers
inscribed their names on a
bronze plaque
beside the west door of the old courthouse.
PHOTO OF
A TROOP, 8TH ENGINEER SQUADRON,
CAMP SUTTON, DEC 10, 1942.
Closeup #1
Closeup #2
Closeup #3
Closeup #4

GOLD STAR MOTHERS SCRAPBOOK
This is a scrapbook compiled by Mrs. Zeb Cuthbertson, which has been put on-line by the Union County Library. It has bios and photos
of about 100 Union Co. men who lost their lives during the war.
PHOTO OF OFFICERS OF
COMPANY S
301ST ORDINANCE REGIMENT
,
CAMP SUTTON, N.C.
CAPT. J. D. BARNES COMMANDING,
Aug 15, 1942

This page created Oct 21, 2001 by
Julie Hampton Ganis
Updated June 4, 2009
MORE Union County HISTORY

MORE Union County PHOTOS
CAMP SUTTON PHOTOS
FROM THE COLLECTION OF
GEORGE V. PEPPER (1910-1992)
Page #1
Page #2
For more information on
Camp Sutton, visit
The Heritage Room in Monroe, NC

Also see these offsite links to the Heritage Room's Collection of Camp Sutton Photos:


Camp Sutton
Camp Sutton Wedding Photos
World War II
Military Before and During WWII
USO
Edwin Calhoun Boatright (1917-1993) at Camp Sutton in 1946. He was employed after discharge from the Army and service in Germany in the Camp PX.

                                  WORLD WAR II

                           IN UNION COUNTY, N.C.