William Linn was born about 1775 and died before 1817 (when his children were named as "orphans" in Lincoln Co, NC Apprentice Bonds). He married Nancy Boyd on December 4, 1797 in Lincoln County, North Carolina. After William's death, Nancy married Daniel Nolen on April 5, 1821. William and Nancy Linn had a son John “Adam” Linn (my line - see below), born Feb 1800. In 1817 in Lincoln Co., as an orphan of William Linn, Adam was bound first to Jesse Holland, then to Thomas Buchanan to learn the blacksmith trade until he arrived at the age of 21.
The other children of William and/or Nancy Linn:
2-Mary Linn (b.Nov 15, 1807) bound to Thomas Dickson on July 21, 1817 in Lincoln Co., as an apprentice, to learn the trade of a spinster. Named in Lincoln Co., NC Apprentice Bonds.
3-James Linn (b.c.1811). Named as illegitimate child of Nancy Linn in Lincoln Co Apprentice Bonds where he was bound to John Gibson on April 16, 1816, until age 21, as an apprentice to learn the trade of a weaver.
Adam Linn/Lynn (Born Jan 1,1800, probably in or near Lincoln Co, NC-Died Jun 11, 1871 probably in Muddy Fork Township, Cleveland Co, NC). He married about 1825 to Elizabeth "Betsy" Martin (Born Feb 8, 1808 in NC or SC- Died Oct 12, 1873, probably in Muddy Fork Township, Cleveland Co, NC). In 1836, they were on the Lincoln Co. tax list, then in 1840, they lived just across the state line in York County, South Carolina. They were again living in NC from 1850-1870, this time in the portion of Lincoln Co. that had become Cleveland Co, NC, near Shelby. He was a blacksmith and a miller, and worked at a sawmill in later life. It's said that they are both buried at Mt. Nebo Cemetery, Kings Mountain, in Cleveland County, NC (East of Shelby), although no grave markers for them have been found.
Adam Linn aparently fathered a child out of wedlock with Elizabeth Nolen, as shown in the Lincoln Co. Bastardy Bonds-Oct 23, 1822: Adam Linn and W. Ferguson, $200 bond, "to be paid on condition that Adam Linn doth keep the County of Lincoln free and clear from the maintenance of a base born child begotten on the body of Elizabeth Nolen of which the said Adam Linn is the reputed Father and to perform such orders as the county Court of Pleas and Quarters Sessions shall make effecting the same". Signed Adam (X) Linn and W. _. Ferguson. - It is not known what became of this child.
Children of Adam Lynn and Elizabeth Martin:
1) John Anderson Lynn (see photo and more info below) (b.1827-d.1861) married 1st Elizabeth R. Cobb (my line-see below), married 2nd Elizabeth Jane Hardin. They lived in Cleveland Co, NC and later York Co, SC.
2) William Simington Lynn (b.1831) married Mary H. Collins. Lived in Greenville Co, SC.
3) Thomas H. Lynn (b.1838-d.1897) married Mary Margaret Neil.
4) Margaret Lynn (b.1838). Single.
5) James Dixon Lynn (b.1841) married Louisa Dill. Lived in Greenville Co, SC.
6) Elizabeth Jane Lynn (b.1843) married Efird Wilson from Mecklenburg Co, NC.
7) Samuel M. Lynn (b.1845-d.1919) married Susan Jane Sellers (daughter of Felix Sellers).
8) Calvin Grier Lynn (b.1849) married Sarah Ann McGinnis.
John Anderson Lynn (see photo) (Born Mar 30, 1827 either in NC or York District, SC. Died Sept. 1, 1861).
John Anderson Lynn married 1st Elizabeth R. Cobb (Born in 1830 in Cleveland Co, NC-Died Oct 7, 1855 in Cleveland Co, NC). Elizabeth was the daughter of William Cobb and Martha "Mattie" Harmon of Cleveland County, NC. Elizabeth Cobb Lynn is buried in El Bethel Methodist Church Cemetery, off Hwy 74, 3 miles W. of Kings Mountain, on El Bethel Rd.
John Anderson Lynn and one of his wives.
John Anderson Lynn married 2nd Elizabeth Jane Hardin (b.Oct 30, 1831 Cleveland Co-d.Nov 2, 1914). They lived in Cleveland Co, NC and later York Co, SC.
John Anderson Lynn was a miller by trade and is buried in Bethany A.R.P. Cem. in Bethany, York Co, SC, near Kings Mtn., 3 miles from NC line on Hwy 161.
Children of John Anderson Lynn:
1) William Martin Lynn (see photo) (b.1851-d.1911 Gaston Co) married Feb 10, 1874 in Cleveland Co, NC Barbara Catherine Sellers. (my line-see below)
2) Amanda J. Lynn (b.1853) married James McGinnis.
3) John Thomas Lynn (b.1858-d.1931) 1st married Harriet M. Walker, 2nd married Sallie Ann Gladden.
William Martin "Billy" Lynn (see photo) (Born Sept 10, 1851 in York Co, SC-Died May 1, 1911 in the Modena Mill section, Gaston Co, NC) married on Feb 10, 1874 in Cleveland Co, NC to Barbara Catherine Sellers (Born May 6, 1852 in Cleveland Co, NC-Died between Oct 18, 1885 and 1900, in Cleveland Co or Gaston Co, NC). Barbara Catherine Sellers was the daughter of Felix Sellers and Catherine Smith of Cleveland County, NC.
William Martin Lynn is buried at Pisgah A.R.P. Church, Gaston Co, NC. It's not known where his wife is buried.
Children of William Martin Lynn and Barbara Catherine Sellers:
1) Lucy Regina Lynn (b.1874-d.1968) married Herbert Luther Rhyne (son of Martin L. Rhyne and Sarah Ann White). They lived in Gaston Co, NC, then moved to Kannapolis, Cabarrus Co, NC (my line-see RHYNE page for descendants.)
Lucy Regina Lynn Rhyne and great granddaughters Dana and Leslie.
2) Rufus Alexander Lynn (b.1876-d.1959) married Sarah Katherine Ferguson.
3) Mary Lynn (b.1879-d.1914) married Fed Laban Costner.
4) John Anderson Lynn (see photo) (b.1881-d.1970) married Margaret Bess Lynn (b.1888-d.1969, daughter of John Thomas Lynn).
John Anderson Lynn and Margaret Bess Lynn
5) Fannie S. "Annie" Lynn (b.1884-d.1960 McDowell Co, NC) married Charles G. Parker.
6) Newman Thomas Lynn (b.1885-d.1956) married Tressie Flum.