Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

HISTORY OF THE

BROWN CREEK-UNION ASSOCIATION

Predecessor of the Present Union Association

 

FROM A HISTORY OF NORTH CAROLINA BAPTISTS 1727-1932, by M. A. Huggins

This section abstracted by Julie Hampton Ganis

 

 

 

            The organization occurred when three churches, Mount Olive, Monroe, and Faulk’s, met in October of 1854 with the Mount Olive Church.  Probably, Darling Rushing was elected Moderator and a Constitution, containing Rules of Decorum and a Declaration of Principles, was adopted.  It is a complete and superb piece of work and required 24 pages for its printing.

 

            At the first anniversary meeting held with the Monroe Church in 1855, D.A. Covington was elected Moderator and D. Rushing, Clerk; and Elder R.B. Jones, whose foot-steps we have before observed, and who at the time was living in Charlotte, was present.  Two churches, Shiloh and Benton’s Cross Roads, presented letters, thus bringing the number of churches to five.  A resolution, committing the body to the subject of Home Missions through pledges made in advance, was adopted.  A sermon, preached by Elder E. Morton and followed by an exhortation, caused “sinners to weep and saints to rejoice.”  A correspondence was opened with these associations: the Moriah, the Welch Neck, and the Broad River in South Carolina, and with the Pee Dee in North Carolina.  In the session of 1856 the sum of $136.50 was pledged for missions with the Mount Olive Church pledging $81.50 of this total amount.

 

            At the session of 1857 thirteen churches were represented.  We give the names of the churches, followed by the names of the delegates:

 

Mount Olive, W. Chambers, T. Redfearn, Darling Rushing;

Monroe, D. A. Covington, W. T. Willoughby;

Faulk’s, S. H. Parker, J. M. Green, William Newsome;

Meadow Branch (Wingate), J. Perry, W. J. T. Maske, J. C. Williams;

Rocky River, Elder S. P. Morton, H. M. and J. J. Broadway;

Shiloh, Elder W. Funderburk, C. Hargett, J. Hill;

Moriah, W. W. and W. M. Allsbrook, K. C. Timmons;

Charlotte, Elder R. B. Jones;

Waxhaw, S. J. Fletcher, ______ Godfrey;

Mineral Springs, J. D. Green, S. Rushing, T. K. Manus;

Benton’s Cross Roads, Thos. Griffin, C. Austin;

Philadelphia, B. Parker, W. C. King, J. P. Gathings;

Wadesboro, Elder A. L. Stough, Elder E. Morton, B. F. Sikes.

 

At this session, Missions, Education and Periodicals were emphasized and appreciation was expressed for the Biblical Recorder and for the Home and Foreign Journal and the Commission, both published by the Foreign Mission Board at Richmond.  Serious attention was also given Temperance and Sunday Schools.  Moreover, the Baptist State Convention was praised for the work it was doing and the ministers were urged to lay its claims upon the hearts of the people.  The reports revealed that there were during the year 97 baptisms with 48 of them occurring in the Meadow Branch Church, later the Wingate Church.

 

            In reading the reports made and the actions which followed, we are impressed with the ability, the courage and the vision of the leaders of the association.  In the reports made to the sessions of 1858, we find intemperance described “as a great evil” and “as the monstrous sin of North Carolina.”  However, joy was expressed that “a wonderful reformation had taken place.”  “The pulpit has turned loose the thunders of heaven against Drunkenness.”

 

            In the record of the session of 1859 the work of the State Missions was applauded because the feeble churches had been aided and new preaching places had been established.  As an example, the Charlotte Church was cited, because Elder R. B. Jones had been sent there to preach and here we quote: “Then the name, ‘Baptist,’ was a reproach, and a by-word, but behold what God has wrought!  Now a beautiful temple is erected in which the word is faithfully preached every Sabbath.”  At this time, however, Jones had departed and R. H. Griffith had taken his place. 

 

            In 1859, a motion to combine the Brown Creek Union and the Pee Dee associations into one body was lost.  The report of the Associational Missionary, S. J. Fincher, revealed that he had traveled 130 days during which he preached 190 sermons, visited 85 families and traveled 1,660 miles.

 

More Union County History!





This page originally created September 28, 2000
By Julie Hampton Ganis

Counter added November 1, 2003

Free counters provided by Andale.



Last modified Monday, 12-Jun-2006 21:31:26 MDT