Pierce Mothershead Family Ties
The Family of Benjamin & Mary Long
The information here deals primarily with Benjamin Long who died in 1804 in Culpeper County VA and was married to Mary Bond, daughter of John and Mary Bond. John and Mary Bond also had another daughter, Elizabeth, who married Benjamin's brother, Bloomfield Long "the Younger". These relationships are proven by a Deed filed of record in Culpeper Co VA in Nov 16, 1749 and recorded on pages 108-109 of Deed Book A for Culpeper County. An abstraction of the microfilmed records was made by John Frederick Dorman and is much easier to read than the microfilm itself.
John Bond helps us out further with the families of Benjamin and Bloomfield with his Will of 1756.
Benjamin and Mary (Bond) Long had at least eleven children, one of whom was my great-great-great-grandmother, Lucy Long who married William Mothershead 11 March 1788 in Culpeper County VA [source: "Virginia Marriages Early to 1800" by Jordon R. Dodd, 1990"]. The children of Benjamin and Mary are proved by the 1804 Probate of Benjamin's Estate [source: Culpeper Co., VA., Minute Book 3, pp. 229-230 read from microfilm].
Benjamin died intestate 1804 and the heirs disagreed about the estate settlement. They filed a suit and the Administrator of the Estate was ordered to sell all the slaves and land belonging to the estate and pay one eleventh to each of the heirs, which included the Administrator, Robert. B. Long. Prior to the 1804 suit to settle the Estate, Benjamin's widow, Mary, had refused the administrative duties so Robert was named sole Administrator in the December 1803 Court of Culpeper Co VA. A complete transcription of the probate will be added here soon.
There is also an article based on the research of Paul Buchanan and Susie Owens in the Virginia Genealogist titled Henry Long and Some Descendants of Colonial Virginia. It was published starting in January-March 1994, Volume 38, Number 1; It is an extremely useful article and they cite their sources for the information.
- born: ca 1728 King George Co VA
- died: Intestate ca 1803 Culpeper Co VA [proved by his widow, Mary, refusing to act as Administrator of the Estate and Robert B. Long being made sole Adminstrator by the County Court; recorded in Culpeper Co VA Minute Book 2, 1802-1803]
- married: Mary Bond ca 1748 [proved by Deed of John Bond dated 16 Nov 1749 recorded in Culpeper Co VA Deed Book A]
Parents of Benjamin:
father: Bromfield/Bloomfield Long
mother: Elizabeth Reynolds
Mary nee Bond Long
- died: after 1804
Parents of Mary (Bond) Long:
father: John Bond
mother: Mary (maiden name unknown)
Children of Benjamin & Mary Long:
Note: All children listed below are proved by the 1804 Court record concerning the probate of Benjamin Long’s estate, filed of record in the Culpeper Co VA Minute Book 3, p. 229-230, August 1804; additional sources will be listed if applicable.
- Brumfield born ca 1749 married ca 1775 Elizabeth Mitchell [proved by Thomas Mitchell’s Will]
- Benjamin born ca 1751 died prior to 1804
- Thomas P. born ca 1755
Could this Thomas P. Long be the father of Ellen/Evaline Long b 1817 who married Whitaker Mothershead? That Thomas died 1837 Jeff Co MO
- Daughter married Wiatt Mitchell
- Elizabeth married Robert Gaines
- Daughter married Richard Long
- Lucy born ca 1765 married 11 Mar 1788 to William Mothershead [source: “VA Marriage Records
- James died prior to 1804, had children
- John died prior to 1804, had children
- Robert B. served as Administrator of his father's estate
Names in common? Suggestions? Please Email
These records updated
04 Aug 2007