|Return to Goodspeed's Index|
Judge Jeremiah G. Wallace, judge of the Fifth Judicial District, is a native of Fulton County, Ky., born January 2, 1859, and was sixth in a family of seven children born to James and Mary E. (Goldsby) Wallace. The father was also a native of the Blue-Grass State, and was an agriculturist by occupation. He was married in Tennessee, and died in the year 1858, in Kentucky. The mother died in 1853. Both were members of the Baptist Church. The paternal grandfather, Andrew Wallace, was born on the Emerald Isle, and was immediately brought to America by his parents, who were Calvinists. They came to this country about 1792, settled in the Palmetto State, and here Andrew grew to manhood, and was married. At the age of twenty-three years he went to Kentucky, and later moved to West Tennessee, where he remained until 1860. He then came to Arkansas, located in Pope County, and there his death occurred in 1873. He and wife were also members of the Baptist Church. The maternal grandfather, Edward Goldsby, was a native of North Carolina, and died in North Carolina. He was a soldier in the War of 1812. Judge Jeremiah G. Wallace was reared by his grandparents, with whom he came to Arkansas, and his educational facilities were not of the best, for he never attended school more than about nine months altogether. After the war he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until about eighteen years of age, after which he taught school in Polk County for about three years, and also clerked for some time. He began the study of law while teaching, and was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1873. In the fall of 1875 he returned to Dover, opened an office for one year, and then went to Ann Arbor, entering the law department of the University of Michigan, from which he graduated in the spring of 1877. From there he returned to Dover, and in the spring of 1878 he came to Russellville, where he has remained ever since. In 1882 he was elected prosecuting attorney, and re-elected to this position in 1884. He was candidate for circuit judge in 1889, and was elected to that position on September 1, 1890. Success is the best test of merit in this life, and Judge Wallace is in every way a successful man. He is a stanch and willing friend, a compliment that is equal to any that may be paid him in these days of selfish and sordid ambitions, and he is a self-made man, what he has won in the way of this world's goods and personal achievements being wholly due to his own good fighting qualities. He was married in the spring of 1878 to Miss Mirand Berry, a native of Leeds, England, and the daughter of Joseph Berry, who came to America about 1859. To the Judge and Mrs. Wallace were born six children: Mabel, Mary Elizabeth, Catherine, Lewis A., Grace and Robert. Mrs. Wallace is a member of the Episcopal Church. Judge Wallace is a member of the A. F. & A. M., the K. of P. and the K. of H. He is the owner of a fine farm, seventy-five acres under cultivation and 600 in timber, and has a residence in town. He is a close and attentive student to his profession, and his recent election to the office of circuit judge of the Fifth Judicial District shows the estimation in which he is held by the people of this and adjoining counties.
Dr. D. T. Warren, Atkins, Ark. The name of Warren is one of the most influential in Pope County, Ark., and Dr. Warren, among its most talented physicians, has obtained a reputation placing him in the front ranks of the medical fraternity. His parents, Charles and J. (Jones) Warren, were natives of Tennessee. The father was a stone-mason by trade, and died in April, 1832. The mother moved to Mississippi in 1845, and resided there until her death in 1852. Our subject's paternal grandfather, Burris Warren, was a native of England and came to America in colonial times. He was a soldier in the Revolution and in the battle of Bunker Hill he received a slight wound, although he continued to fight for independence until the close of the war. He had but one brother and he was also in the Revolutionary War, but on the other side. After the war Grandfather Warren lived in North Carolina for some time, married, and settled in Middle Tennessee, where he died about 1842. He was the father of about five children. Dr. D. J. Warren was born in Tennessee in 1828, but moved with his mother to Mississippi, where he resided until 1852. He then came to Arkansas, settled in Conway County, and there entered and bought land which he cultivated for a number of years. He was married twice, first in 1855 to Miss Nancy Eubanks, a native of Arkansas, and daughter of James Eubanks, who emmigrated from Alabama to Arkansas at an early day. Mrs. Warren died December 7, 1858. Dr. Warren's second marriage occurred January 1, 1861, to Miss Mary A. Bernard, a native of Pope County, and the daughter of Wilson Bernard. Mr. Bernard was born in the Buckeye State, but came to Arkansas at a very early day. He settled in the woods on the river bottom, cultivated the soil, and during the war went to Texas, where his death occurred. The mother's maiden name was Appleton and she died in 1877. They were members of the Missionary Baptist Church. The father assisted in removing the Indians from this section. He had seven children, and for a time he employed a teacher for them. One daughter in Texas, another in California, and our subject's wife are the only ones now living. During the late unpleasantness between the North and South, or in the fall of 1861, Dr. Warren enlisted in Company C, Tenth Arkansas Regiment Infantry, and was in the siege of Port Hudson where he was advanced to the rank of first lieutenant. He was captured at that place, sent to the military prison at Johnson's Island, Ohio, and retained until the surrender of Gen. Lee, a period of two years. The Federal Government gave transportation to Little Rock and he walked the balance of the way. Dr. Warren began the study of medicine in 1858, attended lectures in Cincinnati during 1850-60, and was assistant surgeon for fifteen months in the army before he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant. On his return to Pope County he at once began the practice of medicine. In 1873 he was one of the first to locate in Atkins and soon bought forty acres near town. In 1881 he bought six acres in town., and erected a residence on it. He is now the owner of 240 acres of land, and has 175 acres under cultivation, also an additional tract of eighty acres of good timber. The Doctor with four others, erected the school-house at Atkins, and he has done much to advance the cause of education. To Dr. Warren's second marriage were born five children, two living: Joicy (was born April 8, 1868, and died August 7, 1871), Rhoda (was born December 9, 1869, and received her education at Arkadelphia and Blue Mountain), Andrew T. (was born September 7, 1872), and Tabitha (was born March 11, 1874). The family are members of the Baptist Church. Dr. Warren is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
W. G. Weimer, proprietor of the Weimer Drug Company, and cashier of the Citizens Savings Bank at Russellville, owes his nativity to Johnson County, this State, and was born in 1864. He was the youngest in a family of five children born to A. W. and Mary (Towell) Weimer, natives of Germany and Tennessee, respectively. The father came from Germany when a child, resided for some time in the Keystone State, and then moved to Iowa about 1838. Later he came to Arkansas, where he was married. He was a physician and had an extensive practice over about thirty miles. He was killed in the spring of 1865. The mother is still living. W. G. Weimer was educated in the Vanderbilt University at Nashville, Tenn., and graduated from the same in 1884. He at once began the drug business in Russellville, starting with a stock of several thousand dollars, all paid, and soon had a good trade. In 1887 he started the Weimer Savings Bank, the first along the railroad with the exception of those at Little Rock and Van Buren, and in 1800 he bought out Harkey Bros. drug business, moving to his new quarters shortly afterward. He carries a stock of fresh drugs valued at $8,000, and does both a wholesale and a retail business. This establishment is very attractive and complete in every particular, and the prescription department is in the hands of experienced pharmacists. On April 1, 1890, the Weimer Savings Bank was incorporated and became known as the Citizens Savings Bank, with W. G. Weimer as cashier. The bank occupies a portion of the drug store, was incorporated with a $50,000 capital, and is doing an extensive business. Mr. Weimer is now sole owner of the drug store. He also owns extensive farm property in Yell County, rich bottom lands, all tillable and consisting of 600 acres with 512 acres under cultivation. This, one of the finest tracts of land in the State, was bought in January, 1890, at a cost of $21,400 and Mr. Weimer has placed several thousand dollars worth of improvements on it since then. On this farm he also runs a general store, carries a stock of goods valued at $3,000 and does an annual business of $12,000. He has a cotton gin and mill and in Russellville he owns a business block. He has in all ways contributed to the growth of Russellville, and is one of the best citizens. He is an A. F. & A. M. and K. of P. at Russellville, and also a Knight Templar.
C. D. Weir, farmer, Moreland, Ark. Since his residence in this county, the reputation which Mr. Weir enjoys has been not only that of a substantial and progressive farmer, but of an intelligent and thoroughly-posted man on all public affairs. He is a native of Georgia, born in 1861, and moved with his mother to Arkansas in 1870, settling in Pope County, where the mother bought eighty acres of land. C. D. Weir was reared to manhood on the farm in Pope County, and is thoroughly familiar with all the details of farm life. He received a good, practical education in the common schools, and in 1878 selected as his companion in life Miss Sarah F. Crites, who was born in 1862, a native of Arkansas. This union was blessed by the birth of five children, viz.: Jesse L. (deceased), Lewis L., Levada L., Oscar and Homer, the last four living at home with their parents. After his marriage Mr. Weir continued his farming interest on rented land for six years, after which he purchased eighty acres and was engaged in improving this for some time. This he at last sold and in 1890 he purchased the tract upon which he now resides, consisting of 180 acres, 105 acres of which are under cultivation. Mrs. Weir was one of three children born to Jesse and Olive C. (Stennett) Crites, the children named in order of birth as follows: Lee Anna (deceased), Sarah F. and Lucinda. Mr. and Mrs. Weir are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, and are held in high esteem by all. Mr. Weir's farming operations are conducted in a manner indicative of a progressive, thorough agriculturist, and his future prospects are indeed bright.
James Wells, farmer, Holly Bend, Ark. Since his residence in this county Mr. Wells has been very prominently identified with the material affairs of this community, indeed far more so than the average man. Particularly in the direction of agricultural affairs is this true. He was born in Lincoln County, N. C., in February, 1822, and is the son of Samuel and Agnes (Jenkins) Wells, natives also of North Carolina. They passed their entire lives in that State, and died there about 1845. The paternal grandparents came from Virginia at an early day, and the maternal grandparents were from Ireland. James Wells left his native State in 1841, and emigrated to Arkansas, locating in Pope County, where he has since made his home. He is now residing in Holly Bend, where he is the owner of 500 acres of land with 400 acres under cultivation. He was married in 1845 to Miss Mary Logan, daughter of Robert E. Logan, of Pope County. Six children have been born to this union: Sarah, James B., Franklin, Richard and the other two died in infancy. Mrs. Wells died in 1869 leaving him with four children. He then married Miss Margaret L. Faulkner, daughter of Thomas Faulkner, and they have four children: Hugh, Mary, Elmer and Bruce. All the children to both marriages are single with the exception of two, James B. and Richard. The former married Miss Martha Anthony and Richard married Miss Elizabeth Oates. In 1863 Mr. Wells enlisted in the Confederate Army under Col. Stirman, and was in State service until the close of the war. After this he returned home, and has been engaged in cultivating the soil ever since.
John B. West is the junior member of the firm of T. M. Neal & Co., general merchants of Dover, Ark. These gentlemen have ably represented the mercantile interests of this portion of this county, and the stock of goods which they carry can not fail to satisfy the wants of their patrons. He was born near the town in which he is now residing, on May 11, 1857, to Major D. and Lucinda (Latimer) West, and with his parents made his home until 1883, his opportunities for acquiring a knowledge of the world of books being extremely limited, for in any year he did not receive over three months' schooling, and often not that amount. However, he always had a natural inclination toward books, and even in his early boyhood he used his spare time to advantage and was often found poring over his books when others of his age were spending their time in play. By this means he received such education as has elevated him to the position he now occupies and has been the means of the success of his life work. After the death of his father, in 1880, he remained on the old homestead and continued to care for the remainder of the family until the summer of 1883, when he rented out the homestead, and with his mother, moved to town, where he entered the employ of T. M. Neal & Co., as book-keeper, in which capacity he served faithfully and well for six years. At the end of this time Mr. Neal, the general manager, opened an establishment in Morrillton, Ark., and Mr. West took his place in the store in Dover and became general manager for the firm. In January, 1890, he bought an interest in the business, and still retains his position as general manager, and to the admirable manner in which he has conducted affairs, the success of the establishment is largely due. The stock of the firm consists of an excellent general line of goods, together with a complete assortment of farming implements, the annual sales of which are about $26,000. They also deal quite extensively in cotton, which is a leading industry in their vicinity, and although they started with a very small capital, industry, energy and square dealing have built them up their present trade, and they have abundantly prospered. They are now doing business on a capital of about $30,000 and are the heaviest dealers in the town of Dover. Mr. West was married on March 28, 1878, to Miss Maggie Phillips of Dover, by whom he has six children: Caroline, Mary Ruth, Jennie B., David, Alexander H. and Sallie. Mr. West and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church South, in which he is recording steward, and he also belongs to Lodge No. 17, of the A. F. & A. M., at Dover. In this order he holds the position of treasurer. He is a Democrat, but has never been what might be termed a politician. In May, 1884, be was appointed notary public and is now filling his second term. He still owns an interest in the old homestead, which he still looks after and controls, but aside from this his capital is invested in his business. He is a thoroughly-liberal, public spirited and substantial citizen.
Robert B. Whitesides (deceased) was another of the many representative citizens of Polk County, Ark., whose native soil was the Palmetto State, his birth occurring in York County in 1828, and was the son of Maj. Whitesides, a native of Ireland. The father was reared in his native country and remained there until about fifty years of age, when he emigrated to America. He settled in South Carolina, and there his death occurred many years ago. Robert B. Whitesides came to Pope County, Ark., in 1856, and there married the widow of William W. Williamson. She was the mother of two children by her first husband, William D. and Sallie N., and five children by Mr. Whitesides: Robert Lee, Edward B., Martha E., Lucy Ann and Walter D., all of whom are now living with their mother with the exception of Robert, who is in Texas. Mr. Whitesides was a farmer by occupation and followed this until his death which occurred on the farm where his widow resides, in 1866. He was for many years intimately associated with the county's interests, and in his death the county keenly felt the loss of one of its best citizens, a man who had taken part in its development and witnessed its growth for many years. He was the owner of 700 acres of land, 250 acres under cultivation, lying on the north side of' Arkansas River, seven miles below Dardanelle. In 1863 Mr. Whitesides enlisted in the Confederate Army, and served until cessation of hostilities. Since the death of her husband Mrs. Whitesides rents her land mostly, but lives at home and cultivates a portion of it herself. She and one daughter are members of the Old School Presbyterian Church. She was the daughter of Darling Love of Pope County, but who was a native of North Carolina. The latter came to Pope County fifty-two years ago, bought land here and reared a family of eight children, three of whom were killed in the Confederate Army. Two brothers of Mrs. Whitesides, Ransom D. and Calvin M. Love, live near Russellville, where the former is engaged in the hardware business and the latter is a farmer and preacher. A sister, Madrid, married Squire R. 0. Morton, and is now living near Potts' Station. The remainder of the children are deceased.
Judge Robert B. Wilson has become distinguished in the history of Pope County, Ark., where he is known as a talented attorney. His mind is clear, concise, analytical and well poised, and being of quick perception, what might cause others hours of study and research, he reaches at a bound, and the reasons for his convictions are always clear and well defined. He was born in Shelby County, Tenn., May 20, 1850, being the eldest living child of Benjamin F. Wilson and Mary W. Wilson (whose maiden name was Mary W. Williams) former of whom is a native of Goochland County, Va., the latter of Rutherford County, Tenn. The father was a worthy tiller of the soil, and in 1854 moved from Tennessee to Arkansas, and settled in Conway County, where he lived for two years. He then purchased a small farm in the southeast corner of Pope County on the Arkansas River, where by dint of industry and economy he bad laid the foundation of a small fortune by cultivating his land and raising stock, when the late Civil War overshadowed our country. He opposed secession from the Union, but when his State seceded, like a true Southern patriot, he espoused the cause of his home and supported the Southern cause with his means and his person, surrendering with his regiment at the close of the war, and returned home to find his hard earned accumulations all swept away, except his little farm, and it lying waste, from the ravages of the war. He began life again on the farm, which he reimproved and successfully cultivated until 1874, when he removed with his family to Springdale Washington County, Ark., where he now resides. The family are strong believers in the doctrines of the Baptist Church, and are at all times liberal patrons of religion and education, Mr. Wilson and W. Bernard being the organizers and promoters of the first good school in their community in 1859 and 1860, the building having been for the most part erected at their expense at Galla Creek, in what is now Lee Township, where a neighborhood school was maintained until closed by the war, and where after the war a good country school was kept in successful operation for several years. The immediate subject of this sketch inherits Scotch and Irish blood of his ancestors, his paternal great-grandfather having come from Scotland to this country and settled in Virginia, and his paternal grandmother as well as his maternal ancestors being of Irish extraction. Judge Wilson was reared on a farm, and principally in Pope County, in the common schools of which, and by devoting to study his leisure hours at home, be acquired the rudiments of a common English education. After becoming twenty-one years of age the earnings of his first years were devoted to paying his expenses in acquiring further education. He was attending St. John's College in Little Rock when the Brooks-Baxter gubernatorial contest began, and was the only student occupying a room in the college building (a large three-story brick). When Gov. Baxter was so unexpectedly ousted by Brooks and his allies, not knowing who were his friends, he went immediately to the college, which was a military institution, and placed himself under the protection of the students, and occupied the room of the subject of this sketch, being guarded by the students until his friends could rally and come to his assistance. Young Wilson laid aside his books and took up arms in the cause of Baxter, joining a company that had come from Pope County. During the latter part of the session he attended the college he acted its janitor in order to obtain money to defray his expenses. He began the study of law in Russellville, Ark., in the month of April, 1875, and was admitted to the bar at Dover (the then county seat) in May, 1876, after which he entered upon the practice of his chosen profession. Having begun life as a school teacher, and his thorough knowledge of the details of the work being known, he in the fall of 1875 was by the district school trustees elected county superintendent of public instruction, a position he filled for one term. At the time of his election nearly every school district in his county was greatly in debt, and the whole school interest of the county badly demoralized, caused by the mismanagement and extravagance during the reconstruction period, while the State was under carpet bag rule. At the expiration of his term nearly every district was out of debt and the foundation laid for good permanent schools throughout the county. In March, 1878, he was appointed as county and probate judge to fill out an unexpired term, and in September following was elected for the ensuing term. During his incumbency as judge he reduced the indebtedness of the county from about $33,000 to $14,000, and in numerous other ways made an enviable record. He was appointed register of the United States land office at Dardanelle, Ark., in the spring of 1888, by President Cleveland (the term of his predecessor. who was a Republican, having expired), of which he took charge May 1, and which position he held until August, 1889, when he was removed by President Harrison without any cause being assigned for such removal. And as he filled the office in an efficient manner, and no charges were ever made against him, nor complaint of his official or personal conduct, the conclusion is inevitable that he was removed for political reasons alone, although he had not served half his term. Upon his removal he returned to his home in Russellville and to the practice of his profession, in which he has again built up a lucrative business, having the confidence of his clients and the respect of all. He was married November 21, 1877, to Miss A. Mary Howell, a daughter of Jesse C. Howell, an old pioneer of Arkansas, and to them three children have been born: H. Howell (January 6, 1879), Mary (March 4, 1881), and Frank C. (May 31, 1886), all of whom are living. Judge Wilson owns a river-bottom farm of 400 acres, 200 acres of which are in cultivation, one of 160 acres, 30 of which are in cultivation, also 50 acres of good creek bottom three miles from Russellville, 20 of which are in cultivation. The two last named tracts are underlaid with a valuable vein of coal. He also owns several small upland farms and tracts of land, one of which, whose area is forty acres lying five miles northeast of Russellville contains five flowing springs, some of which are strongly impregnator with iron and sulphur. He owns the residence in Russellville in which lie resides, also several which he rents. He owns his law office and the lot on which it stands, which is an excellent location, also other business property and a large and well selected law library, in fact the largest in the county. He is a member of the order of the K. of P., and while he is agreeable and has a host of friends, he is not to say a society man, being rather of a reserved and retiring disposition. He possesses excellent powers of elucidation, the most abstruse and complicated subjects being handled with ease and grace and made perceptible and plain to the most ordinary understanding. His success at the bar has been attained by a combination of native talent, culture, tact and hard study. His success in business is due to the close application, energy and habits of strict economy that characterize both him and his excellent lady. He is not a politician in the popular sense of the term, nor a partisan, but has strong convictions of the correctness of the principles of his party, and at the same time is liberal and generous toward those holding different opinions. While he has occupied official positions, he has not been an office-seeker, the positions he has held having rather sought than been sought by him. Being public spirited in disposition he takes a pride in every move tending to the improvement and advancement of his town and country, and is prominently connected with many of her public and benevolent enterprises.
W. P. Wooten is the senior member of the firm of Wooten & Oates, dealers in general merchandise at Russellville, Ark. The mercantile interests of this section are ably represented by these gentlemen who are honest, upright and enterprising men of business. Mr. Wooten was born in Panola County, Miss., July 26, 1844 and in that State he was made familiar with the duties of farm life, his early advantages for acquiring an education being very limited. Previous to attaining his thirtieth year, after leaving the farm, he had been engaged as a clerk in a dry goods store for J. G. Ferguson & Co., at this place, but at the above mentioned age he opened a grocery establishment and for nine years was in business alone, his efforts for obtaining a livelihood meeting with fair success. At the expiration of this time he formed a partnership with William M. Oates, and they immediately embarked in general merchandising and have continued amicably together up to the present time. Their connection has been smiled upon by Dame Fortune, and they now do an annual business of about $65, 000, which fact speaks in an eloquent manner as to their popularity and business ability. Mr. Wooten is interested in all enterprises pertaining to the welfare of this section, and is a stockholder in the Peoples' Bank and the canning factory of Russellville. He was married in 1871, the maiden name of his wife being Sally Price, who died about one year after their marriage leaving an infant, which died soon after. He was married a second time in 1873, Miss Lucy Brooks becoming his wife, but at the end of about two years, he unfortunately lost this wife also, she having borne him one child that survives her. The ceremony of his third marriage took place in 1875, Mrs. Ferguson of Russellville becoming his wife. Their union has been blessed in the birth of two children: Lula Jessie and Junior. Mr. Wooten is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, is a Democrat, and socially belongs to the A. F. & A. M., in which lodge he is treasurer.
Dr. J. M. Yancey, Russellville, Ark. Among the people of Pope County the name of Dr. Yancey is a familiar one, for he has practiced his profession here for many years, and is one of the county's most successful practitioners. He was born in Tennessee in 1832, was reared and educated in that State, and at the age of nineteen years he began the study of medicine under a preceptor. In 1853 and 1854 he attended the Southern Botanic Medical College at Macon, now at Atlanta, and known as the Eclectic Medical College of Georgia, and graduated from the same in the winter of 1854. He at once began practicing in Tennessee. In 1857 he was married to Miss N. M. Woodward, a native of Tennessee, and in 1858 came to Arkansas, settling in Pope County, near Dover, where he bought a farm. He followed agricultural pursuits until 1862, when he entered the Confederate Army, Company I, of King's regiment, and was detailed to assist the surgeons. He served in that capacity and also had charge of supplies for the sick during the marches. He was in the Trans-Mississippi Department, mostly in Arkansas, and participated in the battle at Jackson Ferry, being in active service until cessation of hostilities. The regiment was discharged at Marshall, Tex., after which the Doctor returned to Pope County. He sold his farm, moved into Dover and commenced a practice which has since been uninterrupted. In 1871 he moved to a farm near Russellville, and in 1886 moved to that town. The Doctor owns 300 acres of land in various tracts, has 175 acres under cultivation, and has taken a great deal of interest in grading his cattle and hogs. He owns two acres in Russellville, has a good residence, and keeps several blooded cows, Jersey and Durham. Dr. Yancey lost his first wife during the war, while he was absent, who left two children, one of whom have since died, and one, Margaret L., is the wife of Joseph Bradley, now living in Stonewall County, Tex. The Doctor's second marriage was to Mrs. Annie M. Hays, daughter of Mr. Lydick, and to this marriage were born four children-three sons and one daughter. Emma Estella survives, and is now teaching the Arkansas class in Liberty College, Glasgow, Ky. She graduated at Hamilton Female College of Lexington, Ky., in June, 1889, and soon after took a course at the National Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio. Her school life occupied a period of six years prior to her normal course, a year and a half of that time at Madison Female Institute, Richmond, Ky. The family are members of the Christian Church, in which Dr. Yancey is elder. He was the second of nine children born to David and Rachel Davis (Madaris) Yancey, the father a native of North Carolina and the mother of Tennessee. David Yancey was a farmer by occupation and went to Texas in 1863, where his death occurred about 1886. The mother is still living, and is a member of the Christian Church, of which her husband was also a membe