|Return to Goodspeed's Index|
Judge Andrew Scott, who is spoken of in the foregoing article, together with his wife, both of whom died and were buried in Pope County many years ago, have very recently been disinterred and removed to Russellville, where they have been re-interred by their son our much esteemed respected follow-citizen, John R. Homer Scott, who also removed, at the same time and to the same place, his wife and daughter from the Dover Cemetery. He had all placed in solid stone vaults, cemented, and air and water tight. Over all of them he has erected the most beautiful and costly Italian marble monument to be found in the country, with a very handsome statue of superior Italian marble, manufactured in Italy, ten feet and one inch high, and resting on the top of the monument is a figure five feet and one inch high, representing Hope, with an anchor and cord fully and elaborately chiseled and executed by a master hand, exhibiting the most superb sculptural polish of anchor, cord, drapery and life-like form and feature that can be placed upon marble. Reverence for our ancestors, living or dead, has in all ages been regarded as the greatest of all virtues; and this handsome monument erected by Capt. Scott, chiefly in honor of his father, is a most worthy tribute by a noble son to the memory of his distinguished sire. Of the late Mrs. Scott, (wife of Capt. John Scott) who sleeps beneath the same monument, and a lady greatly admired for her many excellent qualities, a prominent minister of the gospel upon reading the inscription to her memory on the monument, said: "I knew her well; all that is there said in her praise is true, especially of her boundless charity. For years I have lived a near neighbor to her, with a wife gradually dying of consumption, and as often as the day came, the good Mrs. Scott came to see her, and never did she come with her charitable hand empty. All her words were kindness and sympathy."
Capt. Scott's grandfather was Andrew Scott, a native of Scotland who came to New York and he and his brothers having lost their parents at sea, and being without friends or means in the new world were bound out as apprentices. He died in St. Genevieve, Mo. He was married, in Maryland to Miss Elizabeth Ferguson. Capt. Scott's paternal uncles were John Scott (delegate in Congress from Missouri from 1816 to 1819), the prop of the family, in his father's old age and an eminent criminal lawyer in Missouri. He married Miss Parr first, and then married a sister of Hon. George W. Jones by whom he bad two children: George D. Scott of Dubuque, Iowa, and Emily, now Mrs. Wilson, wife of Samuel F. Wilson, an attorney of San Francisco, Cal. The other uncle, George W. Scott, married Miss Nancy Dodge, daughter of Gen. Henry Dodge, and was United States marshal for the Territory of Arkansas under President Monroe. Capt. Scott's maternal uncles were George W. Jones (of Dubuque, Iowa, as above stated), Augustus Jones (lately living at La Grange, Tex. (now deceased), who was United States, marshal of Missouri under President Jackson), John Rice Jones (who was the first postmaster-general of the Texan republic), and Myers F. Jones (who was several times a member of the Missouri Legislature, but, who removed to Texas in 1841, in which State he received his final summons). Capt. John Scott was a graduate from St. Joseph's College, Bardstown, Ky., in 1827. Among others of his classmates at this college were Robert W. Johnson (afterward United States, Senator from Arkansas and William F. Pope who was killed in a duel in, Arkansas by C. F. M. Noland). Capt. Scott read law in the office of his father at Little Rock in 1828-29, and was admitted to the bar in 1848, but has never practiced. In 1828 he moved with his father to Pope County, Ark., and there he has resided ever since, with the exception of two years, 1834-35, after his marriage, which he spent in Johnson County. He carried on a farm for several years, and from 1847 to 1853 he was engaged in merchandising at Dover. During the war he lost fifteen negroes, and from 1867 to 1872 he was again engaged in mercantile pursuits. He is the owner of two farms, one on the Arkansas River consisting of 500 acres and the other, consisting of 600 acres, near Dover. One-half of each is under cultivation. He owns lots and buildings at Eureka Springs, and is worth, all together, not less than $40,000, all the results of his own industry and perseverance. One of his first expeditions to make money was to take a flatboat, loaded with cattle and corn, down to New Orleans. In 1853 he crossed the plains to California with several hundred head of cattle, obtaining fabulous prices for them, realizing $100 per head. In 1838 Capt. Scott became a Master Mason in Franklin Lodge No. 9, Johnson County, but was a member of no other secret organization. He was a Whig in politics until the formation of the Democratic party and then became a Democrat from necessity. In 1878 he was a member of the State Democratic Central Committee. He opposed secession until it became an accepted fact. Capt. Scott has held many positions of trust and honor, and it may truthfully be said of him that the offices which he has had the honor to fill, sought the man and not the man the office. From 1842 to 1850 he was clerk of the circuit, county and probate courts and ex-officio recorder of Pope County. In 1873 he was State Senator for Pope, Conway and Searcy Counties, and in 1874 he served as a member of the Constitutional Convention (of the State of Arkansas) from Pope County. He has served twice as a special judge of the circuit court at Dover. Many years previous to this (in 1830) he served as deputy United States marshal under his uncle, George W. Scott (United States marshal for the Territory of Arkansas), and in that capacity took the first census of Pope County. In 1836 Capt. Scott commanded a volunteer company of United States Cavalry under Gen. E. P. Gaines, during the Florida War, and hence his title of captain. In 1861 he raised a company for State service, which was transferred to the Confederate service, and he commanded a squadron of four companies, serving in the army until, in consequence of sickness, he was compelled to retire from the field. He participated in the battles of Elk Horn and Farmington. He was married in Johnson County, Ark., on December 11, 1834, to Miss Nancy Evans Jamison, a native of Potosi, Mo., born May 16, 1816, and the daughter of Judge George Jamison of Johnson County, Ark. Her father was a native of the Keystone State, of Scotch descent, and was a millwright by trade. Her mother, formerly Miss Mary D. Logan, was of a Kentucky family, originally from Pennsylvania. She was a cousin of James Logan, who was a member of the Legislature from Missouri and Creek agent at Verdigris, Indian Territory. Mrs. Scott was a charming, pleasant lady to meet and was remarkably handsome. She died on October 13, 1878, in full communion with the Methodist Episcopal Church South. By his marriage Capt. Scott became the father of three children: Andrew H. Scott (who was born at Dover, Ark., on December 18, 1840, taking his literary degree at Exeter College, N. H., and his medical degree from the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. He is now one of the first physicians of Little Rock. He married Miss R. Kate Embry, daughter of Col. Ben T. Embry, who is a merchant and planter of Atkins, Ark. They have four children: Ben Embry John R. Homer, Leonora and Andrew Horrace), Mary Eliza Scott (born at Dover on August 11, 1844, and died September 4, 1860, and whose birth is erroneously stated in the work of the Encyclopedia of the New West as being in 1834), and Leonora Augusta, (born at Dover on October 16, 1847, and educated at Little Rock and Fayetteville. She married H. Clabe Howell, a merchant, a member of the Legislature and a native of Kentucky. He died June 21, 1884, leaving these children; Andrew R. (a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, Pennsylvania, living at Little Rock), Emma Scott, Augustus H., Henry A., Kate E. and Mary. Mrs. Howell was married the second time, on July 2, 1887, to George Eller Howell, a nephew of her former husband. One child, Elbert Homer, was the result of this union. Capt. Scott is not a member of any church, but is a believer in the Christian religion. Besides his own children, Capt. Scott has raised about nine orphan children.
James R. Shinn. In all ages of the world, industry, perseverance and energy where intelligently applied, have achieved a result which could have been gained only by having one object in view and improving every opportunity to ultimately attain that object. Mr. Shinn's operations as a farmer have resulted satisfactorily, and he is now the owner of about 170 acres of good farming land with seventy under cultivation. He was born in Pope County, Ark., on April 3, 1842, a son of L. C. and Nellie (Tucker) Shinn, who were born in North Carolina in 1814 and 1818, respectively, in which State their marriage also occurred. To them the following children were born: Elizabeth M., Martha I., James R., Mary A., Silas M., Eliza M., Sarah J. and Laura A. (deceased). L. C. Shinn was a farmer and stone mason and after his removal to Arkansas in 1841 he followed these callings. He entered here 160 acres of timberland, and soon cleared enough space to build a log cabin. He improved his property in other ways afterward and erected him a good frame residence in which he died on September 7, 1885. He was justice of the peace of Clark Township for three or four terms, and was a member of the Christian Church, of which his wife was also a member at the time of her death. James R. Shinn commenced life for himself as a farmer on rented land, and his first crop was put in with one steer. In 1861 he enlisted in Company B, Fifteenth Arkansas Regiment, C. S. A., and participated in the engagements at Elk Horn, Corinth, Grand Gulf and Baker's Creek, being wounded in the last named engagement by a gunshot in the right breast. He was then paroled and returned home, where he was married, in 1865, to Miss Jemimah E. Smith, a North Carolinian by birth, born August 14, 1846. Their union has been blessed in the birth of thirteen children: Charles L., Joyce L., Dosey F., (wife of James Sasbee), Amanda M., James R., Psyche, Lulu E , Jessie L., Elizabeth M., Katie and George D. James W. and Thomas J. are deceased. Mr. Shinn has served several years as justice of the peace of Clark Township, is a liberal contributor to worthy enterprises, and he and his wife are earnest members of the Christian Church. His property is improved with fair buildings and every thing about the place shows that a man of thrift and industry has charge of affairs.
Hon. N. D. Shinn has long been connected with the farming interests of this section, and as an honest man and law-abiding citizen, has no superior. He was born in the Old North State, August 27, 1819, to Silas M. and Elizabeth (Little) Shinn, also of that State. The father was surveyor of the county in which he lived, and was married in his native State, his union resulting in the birth of thirteen children, four now living: Thomas J., Silas M., N. D., and Eliza (wife of C. F. Reed). The following are the names of the children that are deceased: B. D. R., Jackson, L. C., James M., John O., Sarah, Peony M. and a pair of twins, who died unnamed. After the father's death, which occurred in North Carolina, about 1821 or 1822, the mother moved westward, and in Pope County, Ark., passed- from life, in 1852, an earnest Christian, and a member in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church. N. D. Shinn was married in Montgomery County, N. C., in 1837, to Miss Hester Brooks, who was born there in 1822, a daughter of William and Tempey (Tucker) Brooks. Seven sons and two daughters have been born to the union of Mr. and Mrs. Shinn, the following of whom are living: James M. (residing in Texas), Alphus M. (a farmer, of this county), Marion R., Henry L., Alexander B. and Jennie (wife of J. F. Munday, of Russellville). The following are those deceased: William E., John F. (who was killed in the battle of Corinth, Miss.), and Pauline V. In 1830 Mr. Shinn came to this State, from North Carolina, and settled on some Government land, which he improved, being now the owner of 1,200 acres, 500 acres being river bottom land, with 350 acres under cultivation. His home place consists of 700 acres, and of this 150 are under cultivation. This land is very valuable, for in addition to being a fine farming tract, it is all underlaid with coal. In 1877 he erected, on his land, a good frame residence, and his other buildings are substantial and commodious. He has an excellent apple, peach and pear orchard near his residence, and on his river bottom farm is a fine, steam cotton-gin. He has always been a stanch Democrat, and the admirable services he has rendered his party were recognized at different times, and he has served in a number of different official capacities. He first held the responsible position of probate judge for six years, was justice of the peace of his township about the same length of time, and was elected to the State Legislature from Pope County in 1874, receiving 1,200 of the 2,223 votes cast. He and his worthy wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and he has attained to the Chapter in the Russellville Lodge, of the A. F. & A. M.
Zachariah Sinclair, farmer, Hector, Ark. Among those who deservedly rank among the progressive and substantial agriculturists of Pope County, is the above mentioned gentleman, who is the owner of an excellent farm in this county. His parents, James R. and Nancy C. (Noel) Sinclair, were natives of North Carolina and Tennessee respectively, and were married in the last named State. They removed to Arkansas in 1839, settled in Pope County, where, after living until 1855, they took up land. The twelve children born to this union are named as follows: Mary T. (wife of P. H. Brant), Zachariah, Virginia (wife of G. A. Bishop, deceased), Sarah A. (in Searcy County), Franklin P. (in Center Township), James H. (in Hector, Ark.), William (deceased), and four others who died in infancy. At the age of eighteen years, Zachariah began working for himself as an agriculturist, and in 1862 he was married. The fruits of this union were two children: James A. (deceased), and William Francis. Mrs. Sinclair died in 1865, and in February, 1867, Mr. Sinclair was married to Miss Winnie E. Bishop, a native of Tennessee. About 1870 Mr. Sinclair homesteaded the land on which he now resides, consisting of eighty acres, of which he has thirty acres under cultivation. He is also the owner of twenty acres in the bottom along Illinois Bayou, of which he has about fifteen acres under cultivation. His principal productions are cotton and corn. In connection with his farming industry Mr. Sinclair has been employed to some extent with his carpenter trade, also wagon-making, although he has never served an apprenticeship at either. To his last marriage were born these children: Siney C. (wife of A. D. Poe), George W., John W., Margaret E, Martha E., Rhoda J., Ella M., Henry W. and Lulu J. Two are deceased.
Harrison Smith, a prosperous merchant at London Station, Ark., was born in Tennessee January 16, 1841, to John W. and Malinda (Neill) Smith, who were born in South Carolina and North Carolina in 1818 and 1821, respectively. They were married, in Tennessee, December 12, 1831), and their union was blessed by the birth of nine children, six being now alive, of whom the subject of this sketch is the oldest. The other members are Wyatt ( a farmer in Sebastian County, Ark.), Narcissa (wife of John Maxwell, of Sebastian County, Ark.), Louisa (wife of Edward Gifford, of Polk County, Fla.), Lutitia (wife of J. C. Williams, of Catoosa County, Ga.), Anna (wife of Dr. S. C. Burgess, of London, A r k.), and the following children who are deceased: Thomas M., Penelton and George. The parents of these children were Baptists. The father is now residing in Tennessee. The mother died in November, 1883. The former was a soldier in the Confederate Army for a short time during the Rebellion, and was in the hospital service. H. Smith, the immediate subject of this sketch, began life for himself in 1865 on rented land, and the same year was married to Miss Mary E. Lee, a native of South Carolina, born Jul y 30, 1841, a daughter of Richard and Lettie (Smith) Lee. Mr. Smith enlisted in Company A, Forty-third Regiment of Arkansas Infantry, Confederate States Army, August 7, 1861, and was on active duty until the close of the war, when he returned home, and, a s above stated, began following the plow as a means of livelihood, an occupation which received his attention until 1880. In 1872 he moved to Arkansas, and until 1878 was a resident of Woodruff County. In 1882 he moved to Dover, and after following the l i fe of a merchant in that place for two years, has since followed the same occupation at London Station, where be carries a stock of general merchandise to the amount of $2,500. He is the owner of twenty-four acres of land, besides some town lots, and on one of the latter he has a comfortable frame residence. He also owns the store in which he does business. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and are among the substantial citizens of the county. \par }}
L. M. Smith, proprietor o f the Russellville steam grist-mill, planing-mill, cotton-gin and wool carding-mill, was born in Mississippi in 1836, and was the third in a family of seven children, born to John and Prudence (Marshall) Smith, the father a native of the Palmetto State an d the mother of the Bay State. The father was a bricklayer and plasterer by trade, and came to Mississippi when about thirty-five years of age. There his death occurred in November, 1858. The mother died in Arkansas in 1882. L. M. Smith was reared in Mi s sissippi until about ten years of age, and then, without permission of his parents, left home suddenly and engaged with a party of railroad surveyors with whom he remained one year. He then entered the railroad shops at Huntsville and there learned his t r ade as engineer and machinist. After spending seven years in the shop he then went on the Memphis & Charleston Railroad as an engineer for fourteen years, was then on the Mobile &- Ohio for one year and was then for a time on the Great Western. Later ye t he was on the Memphis & Little Rock Railroad for five years. In 1877 he came to Pope County, settled at Russellville and at once began the erection of his present business in partnership with Harker & Terrence, whom he soon bought out. He began with a grist-mill and became the owner of the first steam-mill in town, the same having three run of stones. He put in a wool carding machine in 18711, and now has it durable machine.\tab He started the gin on a small scale in 1882, and now has, perhaps, the second b est gin in the State. He has sailor elevators to move cotton, a Thomas direct steam press, with a capacity of thirty bales of cotton per day. During a four months' season, and during 1889-90 he ginned 1, 000 bales. In 1885 he added a planing mill, and has since put in new and improved planers. In 1887 he put in an engine of sixty-horse power. The building occupies a couple of acres of land and is valued at about $15,000. In 1879 Mr. Smith erected his present residence, and is also the owner of five t enant houses. He owns a farm of 260 acres, in two tracts, all good timber, and is a thorough, wide-awake and enterprising citizen. He was married in 1858, to Miss Sarah Harris of Alabama, and to this union were born six children -- a son and five daught e rs -- all living: Mary Frances, Georgia A., Willie Lulu, Sarah K., all of whom are married, and Robert and Ida May. Mr. Smith is a member of the Christian and his wife and children are members of the Baptist Church. He showed his appreciation of secret organizations by becoming a member of the A. F. & A. M. and the K. of P. He is a member of all the orders of Masonry.
R. H. Smith, machinist and foundryman, and a member of the firm of Smith & Little, was born in North Carolina, in 1838, and was the fifth of eleven children born to William and Catherine (Burkhead) Smith, both natives also of the Old Tar State. The father was a farmer, but also carried on the trades of blacksmith and wagon-maker. He came to Arkansas in 1854, settled in Pope County and st a rted a shop six miles northwest of Russellville. There he had a good trade, and made wagons for most of the county. He also bought 256 acres and to this he added from time to time until he became the owner of large tracts of land, much of it river botto m land. He cleared much of this land and here resided until his death, in 1887, at the age of eighty-two years. He had always enjoyed good health. The mother died about the same time. Our subject has three sisters and one brother residing in this count y . He followed farming until the breaking out of the war, and then flung aside his implements of peace to take up the weapons of warfare. He enlisted in Company E, Fifteenth Arkansas Regiment, and was in the battle of Elk Horn, but soon went east of the M ississippi River, where he participated in the battles of Farmington, Corinth and Port Gibson, and was taken prisoner at the latter place. He was retained at Alton prison for six weeks, and was then exchanged at City Point, after which he came home. Lat e r he enlisted again, was captured and confined at Little Rock, where he was at the time of the surrender. Returning home he engaged in farming, followed this for several years, and was very successful. He bought 350 acres and soon had 100 acres under cu l tivation. About 1875 be began the mill business, at Mill Creek, and had a good outfit and an excellent trade. This he sold in 1884, and at once started his foundry and machine shop, manufacturing stoves. The firm also do a general repairing business, e m ploy two men and sometimes more, and are the owners of the foundry which is a good building. Mr. Smith was married in the fall of 1859, to Miss Martha Shinn, who is the daughter of Littleton Shinn, a pioneer of this locality. Of the following named nine children born to this union six are now living: Jesse Lee, Mary F., Sarah Ellen, Lenora (deceased), Oeata (deceased), Thomas (deceased), Mattie, Florence and Franklin. Mr. Smith has a farm of 150 acres and a residence in town. Aside from his foundry ent erprise, he is also engaged in the grocery business in partnership with R. C. Brown, and they are erecting a two-story brick building. Mr. Smith is a good business man and is successful and prosperous.
James L. Tate. Not without justice Mr. Tate is conceded to be among the prominent and successful agriculturists of Pope County, Ark., for he is, and has been, meeting with substantial success in pursuing his calling. He was born in Johnson County, Ark., February 24, 1849, and although he received but little early education on account of the opening of the war, he has since become one of the well-informed and intelligent men of the county. He remained on his father's farm until he was nineteen years of age, after which he began renting lan d for himself, and in 1877 bought the land where he now lives, from the Railroad Company. This he immediately settled on and com menced improving, being now the owner of 167 acres, fifty-five of which are in a good state of cultivation. This is mostly valley land and very pro ductive, and as he has made every endeavor to bring his land into a fine state of cultivation, he has one of the finest places in the county for its size. It is all under good fence, and in addition to this he tills 350 acres adjoining, devotin g it to the raising of cotton, corn, oats and wheat. His cotton yields from two-thirds to one bale of cotton to the acre, and corn averages about forty-five bushels. He raises large numbers of mules and other stock for his own use, which are admirably h oused during the winter months, and he has an excellent frame residence. He has a young orchard of about 200 apple trees, besides peach , cherry and plum trees in abundance. He is up with the times in regard to cultivation, having the latest improved farming utensils, and in addition to his residence he has five houses for tenants, each with necessary outbuildings. On December 28, l868, he was married to Miss Emeline Jones, a daughter of Thomas and Mary Salma (Hise) Jones, of Johnson County, but formerly from Northeastern Georgia. Mr. Tate and his wife have four children: Oscar S., Mary Ann, Mattie M . and Dora Jane. Mr. Tate has felt the loss of an early education, and is trying to give his children every opportunity. He and his family worship in the Primitive Baptist Church, and he is a liberal supporter of churches, schools, etc. He and his wife are noted for their hospitality and are honored citizens of this county.
Van Tomlinson is one of the largest land owners and most prominent farmers of Dover Township, Pope County, Ark. He was born in Pulaski County, Ky., August 20, 1833, and when three years of ago was brought to this county by his parents, Charles and Susan (Wood) Tomlinson, who were also born in Pulaski County, Ky., and at the time of the birth of the subject of this sketch were residing in the town of Somerset, where the father was keeping a hotel and managing a dry-goods store. He was sheriff of Pulaski County for a number of years, but upon coming to Arkansas he purchased and entered Government land, which he immediately began improving and cultivating. He died in 1873, his wife having departed this life some four years previously, having borne him four sons and four daughters, the only member of which family now living being Van. He received the education and rearing of the average farmer's boy of that day, his advantages, of course, were very meager, and when he was fifteen years of age his father went to California in search of gold, and he was left to care for the family. This he continued to do until he was eighteen years of age, when he, too, went to the "Eldorado of the West," but remained only a few months, when he returned home. Previous to this, however, he had purchased eighty acres of land and was doing for himself, his father allowing him all he could make after the wants of the family were supplied. He improved his eighty-acre farm and sold it some fifteen years afterward, then purchasing 200 acres in the same neighborhood, which he has since finely improved and still owns. He is now the owner of 300 acres, on which is erected a good frame residence, besides houses for his tenants. All his buildings are excellent, and cotton and corn are his principal crops, fifty-five acres being devoted to the former, which promises a good crop. He is interested also, to some extent, in stock-raising. In June, 1865, he was married to Miss Margaret Hobbs, a daughter of James Hobbs, of this county, by whom he has four children: Charles, Mary A., Nora T. and Mattie May. The eldest son was married in August, 1888, to Miss Jeffrie Henderson, who died in May, 1890. Mr. Tomlinson is a Democrat, and, although not a member of any church, he is very liberal in his support of all churches, benevolent enterprises, etc., and is especially interested in schools. He is very pushing and enterprising, and his example of earnest and sincere endeavor to succeed in life is well worthy the imitation of the rising generation.
J. B. Turnbow, farmer and miller, Caglesville, Ark. Mr. Turnbow is a native of Arkansas, born in October, 1855, and is the son of John and Catherine (Noles) Turnbow, both natives of Tennessee, in which State they were married. The parents came to Arkansas about 1852. To their marriage were born eleven children. J. B. Turnbow started out to fight life's battles for himself when twenty-one years of age, and engaged in farming on rented land. He was married in 1877 to Miss Oretha Hamilton, a native of Arkansas and the daughter of Hugh Hamilton and wife, formerly a Miss Vaughan. In 1883 Mr. Turnbow purchased 160 acres of land and built a good frame addition to his house. Since then he has cleared about forty-five acres and is now erecting a good house. In 1800 he purchased a third interest in a saw-mill, which he operates in association with Mr. Shrone and Mr. Hamilton. The capacity of the mill is from 8,000 to 10,000 feet of pine lumber per day. Mr. Turnbow still carries on his farm on which he raises principally corn, cotton and oats, his land averaging twenty-five bushels of corn or two-thirds of a bale of cotton to the acre. He also raises considerable stock, including mines, horses and hogs. He was the youngest of the following named children: Elizabeth, Caroline, Martha, Dona, Tennessee, Lou, Margaret, William, Andrew and Cross. His marriage resulted in the birth of six children: Martin Luther, James Walter, Lou V., Robert L., Bertha (deceased) and Ona. The father of our subject died in 1886, and was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which the mother was also a member. J. B. Turnbow was elected constable in September, 1890, and possesses all the requisites necessary to fill that position in an able and efficient manner. He is a Mason, a member of Scottsville Lodge, and he and wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which Mr. Turnbow is deacon.
William J. Voss, farmer, Hector, Ark. This enterprising citizen of Jackson Township, Pope County, Ark., was originally from Tennessee, his birth occurring in Lawrence County, September 2, 1839,and is the son of Robert and Charlotte (Mitchell) Voss, natives also of the Big Bend State. They were the parents of fifteen children, who are named in the order of their births, as follows: Wiley, Allen, Caroline (deceased), Rebecca (wife of James Beard), William J., Joseph (now in Texas), Sarah (wife of James Walters), Mary (deceased), John, Newton, Emeline, and four others deceased. William J. Voss received a very limited education, his whole schooling consisting of three months in a free school in Middle Tennessee, but he is a man of observation, and this, with his experience, has gained him a good business education. He was married, in 1857, to Miss Susan J. Pennington, a native of Tennessee, whose parents, Jacob and Araminta (Harrison) Pennington, were both natives of Tennessee. Four children were born to this union: Emeline (wife of Hugh Mansker), Frank P., Laquincy and William Robert, all living. Mr. Voss and family left Tennessee and emigrated to Arkansas, in 1858, settling in Pope County, but afterward removed to Yell County, thence to Searcy County, where his wife died, in 1868. In 1869 Mr. Voss purchased 120 acres of land in the last named county, and improved seventy-five acres, but sold it all in 1881. He then purchased his present property, consisting of 160 acres, with eighty acres under cultivation. This he has further improved by putting up new and substantial buildings, erecting two new houses on his farm, which has more than trebled in value under his management. Later he added forty acres more to his farm. In 1869 Mr. Voss was married to Miss Mary T. Williams, a native of Arkansas, and the daughter of John and Mary (Simms) Williams, the former a native of Tennessee, and the latter of Alabama. To Mr. and Mrs. Voss have been born ten children, nine of whom are living: James A. (deceased). Philander M., John Morris, Victoria Ellen, Nathaniel S., Sally, Wiley A., Aranna May, Joseph L. and Benjamin Harrison. Mr. Voss was conscripted in the Confederate Army, but enlisted in the Federal Army, in Company D, Second Arkansas Cavalry, under Col. Phelps, and served from 1864 to the close of the war. He was detached from his regiment near the close of the war, and has never been discharged. After cessation of hostilities Mr. Voss resumed agricultural pursuits, and this he has continued up to the present time. He is engaged in stock-raising in connection with agricultural pursuits, and is wide-awake and enterprising. He keeps a good grade of stock, and in the management of everything connected with his farm he displays excellent judgment and thoroughness. Mrs. Voss is a member of the Baptist Church.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids