1. WILLIAM1 GOUGH was born Abt. 1720, and died Bef. November 12, 1762 in Stafford Co., VA. He married LUCY BYRAM October 19, 1743 in Overwharton Parish, Stafford, VA.
Notes for WILLIAM GOUGH
First, I would like to thank all the nice people who have helped me with these GOUGH lines, such as Al Goff, and especially Steve Lawrence, who shared his family information and research notes with me. Sources are named throughout these files, where known.
William and Lucy are listed here for research purposes only...not proven, as no personal research as been done on them yet. Lucy's name could be spelled Byran. Many "theories" abound regarding the ancestry of this line. There was a William GOUGH recorded in VA as early as 1705. On the VA Vital Records CD from Broderbund, in the section of King William County, William Gough was a witness to a deed of gift from Thomas Ellett to his "beloved son-in-law" John White and his wife Mary. J. Daniel Mahar, e-mail email@example.com, posted to GenForum (see link below) that he believed the William Gough found in Middlesex is a son of William and Alice THACKER GOUGH (William and Alice married 21 April 1689). He also wrote that he believes this William Gough is the son of John Gouch. William served in the House of Burgess for King & Queen County and his death is mentioned in meeting minutes. "His widow Alice Gough appears in the early 18th century tax lists of King & Queen county. It is clear from Thacker records that they had at least one son John. I suspect that Ralph Gough of Spotsylvania Co., VA who took up large grants with his Hickman cousin was another son. Ralph was probably named after Ralph Wormley, Alice's wealthy uncle. It is believed that William Gough who is found in Middlesex is another son. I have yet to find anyone claiming this line as ancestor for the name Gough or Gooch. I have also not been able to trace this family after these few early 18th century records. The Thackers are quite well documented in Middlesex records." Of interest is the fact that Ralph Shelton, Jr., b. 23 Oct 1709 in Middlesex Co., VA., had a grandson, Abednigo Shelton, who married Nancy Ann GOUGH in Logan Co., KY 18 May 1801. This places the SHELTON and GOUGH families in Middlesex in the very early 1700s. William and Alice also had a daughter, Martha, who married John WHITAKER. The WHITAKER named is one found in that area of Kentucky where my GOUGH/SHELTON families lived in the early 1800s.
WFT Vol. 19 #70 has this family entered, but no source notes are supplied. William GOUGH in this tree is shown as the son of THOMAS GOUGH, b. 1740 (possibly Stafford Co., VA), and SARAH UNKNOWN. But the dates do not appear to be correct here. The children listed: Francis m. Verlinda PECK; William m. Lucy BYRAM; Sarah m. William BYRAM; Anne m. William BAYLISS; and Glady. This Thomas GOUGH also married Hannah UNKNOWN c. 1770 and had two more children: James b. 06 Mar 1770 m. Catherine A. HUTSON and John (NFI). The line of Thomas is shown further as son of Thomas GOFF b. 1656 d. 1726 and Margaret UNKNOWN; grandson of William GOFFE b. 1605 England d. 1662 New Kent Co. or King & Queen Co., VA and Martha BAXTER; great grandson of Willyam GOFF who died 1627 Dedham, England. None of this has been personally researched by me and entered here for further review and observations from others. This tree, #70, does list the children as I have presented them, but claims that the son of William and Lucy (BYRAM) called William was born 17 Feb 1755 and married Jemima UNKNOWN, showing one child, Peggy GOFF b. 25 Sept 1757.
Also the possibility that a Joshua Gough was the father of William Gough needs to be considered. Joshua Gough would be born c1695. Two other children may have been Thomas Gough and Sarah Gough. There was a Joshua, William and a Thomas Gough on the Personal Property Tax List for 1787 Fauquier Co., VA records. Much research needs to be completed on this line, but I hope those of you who are descendants from this line will contribute your family data to this tree when possible.
Gene GOUGH has a wonderful webpage (click here to visit it), but there are still problems with the dates, if my William GOUGH is really the child of William GOUGH and Lucy BYRAM, and grandchild of Thomas GOUGH. Not too long ago, I was sent Bible records for my GOUGH family from Jim & Gail GOUGH which confirm the birthdate of March 19, 1764 for William GOUGH who m. Rhoda SHELTON. Gene has a birth record of 17 FEB 1755 in Overwharton Parrish,Stafford Co,VA for William, the son of William & Lucy Byram GOUGH, making it impossible for him to have a child in 1764. Still Gene has a lot of information on his pages, and you should visit when you get a chance. Jim & Gail GOUGH also sent an old genealogy written by Judge Lysius Gough (son of Asher Shelton GOUGH) which gives a different slant on these people. More on this data will be entered soon. However, a few notes here (which need to be verified): Judge Gough wrote that his immigrant ancestor was Thomas GOUGH, who came to America sometime in the 1700s with three sons: Thomas, Jesse, and William. Apparently, there is a connection with early Maryland GOUGH/GOFF families, according to this old letter written by Judge Gough. Also see an interesting post to GenForum by Joseph W. Gough dated April 20, 2001 by clicking here. This message refers to a date of March 26, 1677 where one William Gough was granted 500 acres of land in Calvert Co. Md.
I will attempt to add more notes to this tree as soon as possible, so please bookmark us, and come back again.
- 2. i. WILLIAM ROBERT2 GOUGH , SR., b. Abt. 1746.
- 3. ii. JOSHUA GOUGH, b. March 31, 1744; d. 1820, Monongalia Co., VA(WV).
- iii. SARAH GOUGH, b. May 14, 1749.
- iv. NANNY GOUGH, b. January 29, 1751/52.
- v. FRANCIS GOUGH, b. c1745, m. Verlinda PECK.
NOTES for Francis GOUGH: Although not a confirmed son, it is possible this was a child in this family. Al Goff wrote: "Here's what I have: Personal property tax list, 1787, Fauquier Co VA: Joshua, William & Thomas Gough [Joshua charged w/tax] and Francis Goff. Also, Elizabeth Goff, dau of Francis, 1785 m. Arthur Harriss, Gladah Gough, dau of ?Frank(Francis) and Linney, 1785 m. Henry Bramblett. Wm Gough 1789 bondsman for m. of Benj Taylor & Catherine Weaver...." So, the age of the female children should be in the 1760's for the marriages to take place in the 1780s. Al also wrote: "Stafford Co., VA tithables 1768-1773, 200 ac, Thomas Gough. Also, Glady E Gough b. 1743 to Thomas & Sarah; Wm Gough 1743 m. Liny Byran; Joshua Gough 1744 b. to Wra & Lucy Gough; Sarah Gough 1747 m. Wm Bryan; Sarah Gough 1749 b. to Wm Gough; Wm Gough 1755 b. to Wrn Gough; and Ann Gough 1757 b. to Wrn Baylis". A descendant of the line of Francis GOUGH, Lawrence E. Brown, sent this interesting E-mail: "My mothers maiden name was Gough, her father was Carric Edward Gough born 1882 in MO. Carric Edward Gough father was John Thomas Gough born 1860 in MO. John Thomas Gough father was Charles L. Gough born abt 1825 in MO. Charles L. Gough father was William Gough born abt 1802 in Butler (Co) Ohio. William Gough's father was Bailey Gough born abt 1779 in Fauquier, Co. VA. Bailey Gough father was Francis Gough born in VA. I think your Gough line was William Gough a brother to Bailey Gough. I enjoyed reading your links. Oh yes my mothers' name was Jessie Goldie Gough. I did notice that the Goughs seem to name their children after their ancestors."
2. WILLIAM ROBERT2 GOUGH , SR. (WILLIAM1) was b. Abt. 1745. He married JUDITH TAYLOR Abt. 1763. He possibly died before 1837 in Butler Co., KY.
Notes for WILLIAM ROBERT GOUGH , SR.:
Researcher Steve L. Smoot, of San Antonio, TX., Email addres: firstname.lastname@example.org, provided the following children for William Gough Sr. and Judith:
1. Nancy "Elizabeth" Ann Gough. 2. Jonathan Gough d. aft. 1816 3. Charity Gough. 4. Abigail Gough. 5. William Gough, Jr.
Ruth A. Hunt, PO Box 242, Metropolis, IL 62960 had contribed family group sheets to the "Goffs/Goughs" newsletter. To the above children she added Jesse who died 1834 Butler Co., KY; Thomas who died c1804; Jonathan who married Mary Ann TAYLOR; Charity m. 12 Apr 1800 Reuben DAUGHETRY; Abigail m. 19 Oct 1802 Thomas LAWRENCE; and Nancy Ann who married Abednigo SHELTON. She made a group sheet on Abigail Gough and her husband Thomas Lawrence b. 1759 VA d. 1839. They married 19 Oct. 1802 in Logan Co., KY. Among the children listed are Kitty Lawrence who m. in 1809 to Jeremiah SHELTON and Judith Lawrence who m. 22 Nov 1822 Jeremiah Shelton.
A query from "Goffs/Goughs Their Ancestors & Descendants" Vol. 7 #1 Winter 1988 (Dallas Public Library) from Virginia P. Beckett, 125 Sprague Dr. Hebron, OH 43025, she says: my ancestor is Mary GOFF who married William LEE 15 Jan 1795 Madison Co., KY. Their daughter Elizabeth Betsy LEE b. c1816 married (2) James Bryant 07 Aug 1842 in Estill Co., KY. She has a query in Vol. 8 #3 also which adds that Betsy's first husband was ______PUCKETT. They are on the 1850 Estill Co., KY census with children: William 9; Elizabeth 6; James 5; John 2.
Another version of this family line comes from WFT Vol. 13 #2073, who claims (with no sources) that William Gough died bef Nov. 12 1762 in Stafford, VA, and he married Lucy Byram 19 Oct 1743 in Overwharton Parish, Stafford, VA. Children listed: Joshua Gough b. 31 March 1744, d. bef 18 May 1820 m. Charity Lunsford; Sarah Gough b. 14 May 1749 Overwharton, VA; Nanny Gough b. 29 Jan 1752 Overwharton; and William Gough Sr., b. 17 Feb. 1755 Overwharton, VA, d. aft 1805 in either Logan or Butler Co., KY, no wife's name mentioned. This Vol 13 #2073 continues saying that William Gough b. 1755 had the following children: Abigail b. c1779, d. aft 1845 KY; William b. c1774, d. Dec 1820 Butler Co., KY; Jesse b. c1775; Charity b. c1777; Jonathan b. c1778; and Nancy Ann Gough b. c1780 m. Abednego Shelton 18 May 1801 in Logan Co., KY. It follows the line of Abigail Gough who married Thomas D. Lawrence 19 Oct 1802 in Logan Co., KY, son of Henry Lawrence.
From "The 1795 Census of KY" by TLC Genealogy copyright 1991: Washington Co., KY - B. John Gough, Charles Gough, and Jeremiah Gough all listed. In Logan Co., KY are Jesse, William Sr. & William GOFF Jr.
Our William GOUGH was most likely in NC when he married and there is good evidence that he was in GA for a short period before moving to KY:
Goofe William 1755 Tax List Orange Co., NC and 1762 & 1774 Gough Bertie Co NC.
Gaugh, William - 1790 Reconstructed Census of GA, along with these TAYLOR men: Grant, Joseph and Robert (USGenWeb Archives).
Goff William - 1791 Deed VA Stafford Court to pay William.
Gaugh, William - Granted 212ac in Franklin Co., GA, Deed Book XXX, page 222.
Goff William - 1795 Tax list KY Logan.
Goff William - Jesse Goff Witness 1796 Survey p13 KY Logan 100ac Gasper Lick fork Big Muddy Creek.
Gough William - 1798 Land grant KY Logan 127 ac Sand Creek, s. of Green River.
Gough William - 1798 Va Grants s Green R KY Logan Little Sand Lick.
Gough William - 1810 C p194 KY Butler County.
Shelby Co., KY: M1 p. 32 1814 Wm. TAYLOR to Wm. GOUGH 375 acres Floyds Knobs; this deed mentions line claimed by heirs of Edmund Taylor.
The Kentucky Land Grants:
p.181, Grantee: Gough, James, Acres: 117, Book: 16, Page: 646, Date Survey: 6- 3-1801, County: Scott, Watercourse: S Fk Elkhorn. p.181, Grantee: Gough, James, Acres: 191, Book: 16, Page: 648, Date Survey: 6- 3-1801, County: Scott, Watercourse: S Fk Elkhorn. p.323, Grantee: Gough, Jesse, Acres: 162, Book: 2, Page: 32, Date Survey: 3-29-1799 County: Logan, Watercourse: Meadow Cr. p.323, Grantee: Gough, Wm, Acres: 127, Book: 3, Page: 81, Date Survey: 11-20-1798 County: Logan, Watercourse: Little Sand Lick. p.571, Grantee: Gough, Solomon, Acres: 48, Book: H, Page: 341, Date Survey: 3-13-1821, County: Monroe, Watercourse: E Fk Big Barren R. The Kentucky Land Grants, p.822, Gough, Joshua-160-1-473-N W Qr Sec 5-T-4 R-2 E. The Kentucky Land Grants, p.822, Gough, Rhoda-160-1-474-S E Qr Sec 31-T-5 R-2 E. The Kentucky Land Grants, p.822, Gough, Jeremiah W-160-3-318-N W Qr Sec 2-T-4 R-1 E. The Kentucky Land Grants, p.822, Gough, Eli-160-5-31N E Qr Sec 9-T-4 R-2 E. The Kentucky Land Grants, p.822, Gough, Wm R-160-5-293-S E Qr Sec 6-T-4 R-2 E.
Two GOUGH men were listed in the 1803 Warren Co., KY Tax Records: Samuel and William Gough. Warren Co., KY is where Jonathan GOUGH married Mary Ann TAYLOR in 1806 (see below). It is possible that William GOUGH, Sr. was the older man living with Jonathan GOUGH's family in 1810 Butler Co., KY census, p.194: 00011/10100, and if so, William's wife may have died prior to 1810.
From "Logan Co., KY Deed Abstracts" by J. M. Murray (1993), Deed Book A, page 553 - Indenture dated 04 Dec 1803 between William Gough Sr and Jonathan Gough for $150 paid, a tract on a branch of Big Middy Creek, being 200 acres. Signed also by Judith Gough..witness: James Ewing, David Howard, Jesse Gough.
Notes for JUDITH TAYLOR: She was born c1743, and may be a child to Robert TAYLOR who died in 1758 Edgecombe Co., NC., naming a daughter Judith in this will. Members of this TAYLOR family were found in Greene Co., MO., where John W. Lee's family lived according to the 1850 census records. Before they lived in Georgia, it could be that they lived in the area of Bertie and Craven Co., North Carolina. From this URL, http://www.inmind.com/people/dcooper/GoffbookUVW.htm, we find that there was a William Goofe in Orange Co., NC in 1755 and William GOUGH in Bertie, tax lists, for 1762 and 1774. If this William was OUR William and in Bertie Co., NC in 1762, he could well have been married to a Judith TAYLOR who was proven to be in Edgecombe Co., NC (border Bertie County). One Judith Gough was named in her father's will of 1758 in Edgecombe Co., NC., and Internet trees for this man, Robert TAYLOR and his wife, either Mary or Ann HUDSON, show that the daughter, Judith Taylor, was born around 1743. However, this is just speculation at this time and NOT a proven connection. Deed records in Georgia from 1789 to 1795 indicate that William & Judith GOUGH owned land in Franklin Co., GA., before moving up to Logan Co., KY. Write to me for information on these deeds if you are interested. On 04 Dec 1802, Wm. & Judith Gough sold 200 acres of land to Jonathan Gough, from land which had been surveyed on Sandy Creek that was granted to Wm. Gaugh Sr on 05 Dec 1796. The Sandy Creek Baptist church in Logan Co., KY was established in 1805. Among the first members were Wm. Gough Sr, Judith Gough, Jonathan Gough, Thomas Lawrence, Abigail Lawrence, Charity Doughety and it is believed that Wm. Gough Sr, Thomas and Abigail (Gough) Lawrence are buried at the original site of the church.
- 4. i. WILLIAM ROBERT3 GOUGH , JR., b. March 19, 1764, GA; d. December 1820, Butler Co., KY.
- ii. JONATHAN GOUGH, b. Abt. 1765 (new information indicates the date was possibly May or March 12, 1778 - see the Taylor Bible data on page 2; m. MARY ANN TAYLOR, September 23, 1806, Warren Co., KY.
In a book compiled by Raymond DeWeese (1992) The County of Butler in the Commonwealth of KY 1810-1814 Taken from Order Book A & Circuit Court Order Books A & B", page 13: The County Court recommended for Justice of the Peace in the room of Hugh Marrs who resigned, Temple Davis & William Marrs. As for Justice of the Peace in the room of Thomas Lawrence who resigned, they recommended Jonathan Gough and Abner Womack (1810). Jonathan Gough took oath as Justice of the Peace for Butler County, KY on 02 Oct 1810. On page A-2, Jonathan Gough was quoted, addressing the Court: "Mr. Chairman, the people living down at Berrys Lick request that a road be cut from there, so as to intersect the Logan Road at James Ingram's place." The Chairman responded, "The Court will go along with their wishes and appoints Joshua Shelton, Jesse Gough, Abner Womack and Samuel Hargrove, or any three of them after first being Sworn, Commissioners to view and mark the best way for this new road, and make their report as the Law directs". Page D-19 shows that Jonathan Gough requested that he be appointed Guardian to the orphaned children of William Howard, dec'd (1814). The children, all under 14 years of age were: Mordica Howard, America Howard and William W. Howard. Jonathan executed a Bond with Thomas Porter his Security in the sum of $500.00 agreeable to the law.
Steve Lawrence sent the following in E-mail dated July 2001: "Jonathan Gough, Sr. appears in Washington Co., AL as a male 50-60 (b. 1770-80), which conforms with the 1778 birth year appearing for him in the Taylor Bible entry. Also, there are no wife, two sons, and three daughters listed with him on the census, again conforming to the Taylor Bible entries, including conformant ages. So, I think from this data, we can conclude that the Taylor Bible gives a complete family group for Jonathon and Mary Ann Taylor Gough.... On the Washington Co. 1840 Census, Jonathon B. Gough appears as the head of household, aged 20-30 (b. 1810-20), which conforms with his birth date in the Taylor Bible. He is living with an elderly male aged 60-70 - probably Jonathon, Sr., as well as another male aged 20-30 - probably his brother."
Notes for MARY ANN TAYLOR: She was born 26 Oct 1788 in Craven Co., NC, died 13 Nov 1827 Butler Co., KY, according to WFT Vol. 19 #1590. Her parents were Joseph TAYLOR and Mary SLADE. Some data shown on the Gough-Page2 in the Taylor Bible. CHILDREN (marriage data sent by Steve Lawrence July 2001):
Esther Gough b. 05 Jun 1809 KY m. Archalaus RUDDER, 16 Oct 1832, Washington Co., AL
Jonathan B. Gough b. 23 Aug 1812 in Butler Co., KY m. (1) Mahala DUNBAR, 21 Apr 1835, Washington Co. AL, m. (2) Camilia A. GILBERT 26 Sept 1850 in Mobile Co., AL
Eunice Gough b. 3 Oct 1814 in Butler Co., KY m. John WORSHAM, 16 Nov 1832, Washington Co., AL
Polly Ann Gough b. 14 October 1816 m. Aaron HOWARD, 3 Aug 1837, Washington Co., AL
Joseph Taylor Gough b. 8 Mar or May 1819 m. Elizabeth SMITH, 11 Apr 1846, Washington Co., AL
- iii. JESSE GOUGH, b. Abt. 1766; d. 1834, Butler Co., KY.Notes for JESSE GOUGH: From "Logan Co., KY Deed Abstracts" Deed Book A, page 302 - Indenture dated 13 Dec 1804 between Thomas Gough and Jesse Gough, one part, and Reubin Dougherty, other part, $69.00 paid, conveying 100 acres on Meadow branch of Big Muddy Creek..witness: Jonathan Gough, David Howard and Thomas Laurence. The following article may/may not pertain to this Jesse Gough, but placed here for more research. Taken off the Internet: Goughs as History Makers, Contributed by Melissa Jane Gough, Greencastle, IN (The Goff/Gough Family Association): Continued from G/G:~&D, Vol. XV, No. 4, p. 100, the following charts serve as a foundation for the text in the historical Gough genealogy compiled by member, Melissa J. Gough and her mother. Documentation and discussion of the information which is included here are detailed in The History Makers Vol. I. On 3-29-1799 Jesse Gough received a grant of 162 acres South of Green River in Logan Co., KY and on 17 Aug l805 Jesse Gough received an original land grant for 320 acres in Butler Co., Ohio. Jesse Gough paid taxes in 1806 & 1807 Butler Co., Ohio. In 1816 & 1817 Jesse Gough purchased land in Darke Co Ohio, some of which he later sold to his son, Enocah Gough. Jesse Gough and his family were listed in the 1820 Preble Co, Somers Twp, Ohio Federal Census. Jesse Gough filed for and was granted 6 tracts of original land in Hamilton Co IN in 1834 & 1836. In a book compiled by Raymond DeWeese (1992) The County of Butler in the Commonwealth of KY 1810-1814 Taken from Order Book A & Circuit Court Order Books A & B", page 9: Jesse Gough and John Whitaker (among others) were chosen by the courts as Road Commissioners for helping to build and maintain the road from Andrew Lovelace on the Mud Road to Christopher Funkhauser's on the Green River.
Issue of Jesse Goughf & Elizabeth Hensley (I am not entirely certain that the Jesse Gough who married Elizabeth Hensley is the same Jesse Gough of Logan/Butler Co., KY as some people have indicated. These children listed are not proven by me): 8 children:
(1) Enocah H Gough b c1800 Kentucky d 184247 Henry Co., IN m 9 Sept 1819 Butler Co., Ohio Martha Lackey. Enocch sold land purchased from his father in 1820 and with his wife and son moved to Fayette Co., IN later removing to Henry Co., IN. Issue: 9 ch. Jesse Gough Jr, Levi F. Gough, Sarah R Gough, Susannah Gough, Hiram P Gough, John Gough, Eliza Jane Gough, Joseph R Gough, Martha Ann Gough (2) William Coldstream Gough b ca 1801 Kentucky/Butler Co., Ohio d 182530 No Issue, m 18 Feb 1821 Butler Co., Ohio Catherine Thompson. (3) John Gough Direct Lineage Carried Forward. (4) Elizabeth Gough b 1805 Butler/Preble Co., Ohio d Hamilton Co., IN., m Preble Co., Ohio Caleb Frazee (d 1875 Hamilton Co., IN). Issue: 3 known ch. Squire A Frazee, Tilghman Frazee, Joseph M Frazee. (5) Mary Gough b 1807 ButlertPreble Co., Ohio d IN, m 22 Jan 1824 Preble Co., Ohio James Houston, Issue: 5 ch Elizabeth/Eliza Houston, Mary Houston, James Houston, Catherine Houston Fountain Houston. (6) Susannah Gough b 1808 Butler/Preble Co., Ohio d after June 1880 Putnam Co., IN., m (1) Jense Fall/Fahl. Issue: 2 ch Daniel H Fall/Fahl Jesse Gough Fall/Fahl m (2) William Thompson - Issue: 5 ch Elizabeth Thompson, Enoch Thompson, William Franklin Thompson, Henry Thompson, Mary Jane Thompson. (7) Delilah Gough b 1810 Butler/PrebLe Co., Ohio d 18 June 1853 Putnam/Montgomery Co., IN., m 18 Jan 1827 Preble Co., Ohio Elisha Fall/Fahl (d 1851). Issue: 4 ch Michael C. Fall/Fahl Delilah S. Fall/Fahl Martha A. Fall/Fahl Daughter/died in infancy. (8) Jane Gough b 1813 Preble Co Ohio d 15 Feb 1895 Hamilton Co IN., m 21 Dec 1833 James Bishop. Issue: 6 ch William H Bishop, Nancy M Bishop, Elizabeth J Bishop, James M Bishop, Thomas J Bishop, John Gough Bishop.
- iv. THOMAS GOUGH, b. Abt. 1770 and died c1804 m. Fanny UNKNOWN.Notes for THOMAS GOUGH: There is a 1796 VA land grant record given to Thomas GAUGH, 200ac Meadow Creek, south of Green River. Records indicate that he and his wife Fanny sold this land before late 1804. Thomas is included in the 1800 KY Tax list along with his father, and siblings William Gough Jr, Jonathan GOUGH. From "Logan Co., KY Deed Abstracts" Deed Book A, page 302 - Indenture dated 13 Dec 1804 between Thomas Gough and Thomas Lawrence, $100 paid, 50 acres on Meadow Branch of Big Muddy Creek. Signed also by Fanny Gough....witness: Jonathan Gough, David Howard, Reuben Dougherty. Also on page 299 is an indenture dated 15 Dec 1804 - Thomas Gough and Fanny Gough, one part, and David Howard, other part, $100 paid, tract on Meadow Branch, waters of Big Muddy Creek, being 50 acres...witness: Jonathan Gough, Thos Lawrence, Reuben Dougherty. Inventory records dated 1802, of James Howard, show appraisers Jesse & Wm Gough. An equity case settlement, Logan Co., 1818, of the estate of Lindsey (also Linza) Howard, administrator David Howard. Ann Gough Howard, age 90, and Susan Gough MONTGOMERY, age 80, of Nelson Co. KY, 1833, sisters of Revolutionary War veteran Ignatius Gough. (Ignatious Gough, age 79, 1832 VA Rev War pension S.1205, "enlisted in St Marys Co. MD - in Virginia line")....could Fanny Unknown Gough be a HOWARD??? Does Ignatius Gough figure in with these other Logan County GOUGH families from William Gough, Sr.????
E-mail sent July 2001 from Steve Lawrence, who believes Thomas GOUGH, brother of Jonathan, also moved to Alabama: "..Thomas sold his land in Butler Co. in four parcels in 1804. There is an 1805 land grant on the Sinking Fork Creek in Christian Co. KY to a Thomas Goff, which could be him (especially since there were only two Thos. Goff/Goughs in KY on the 1800 tax lists, and the other stayed put in Clark Co. for many years), but I did not find him on the 1810 Christian Co. Census. This parcel could have been in an adjacent county which formed from Christian, so that needs to be investigated as well. A Thomas Goff/Gough first appears in Washington Co. AL about 10 years later, on an 1816 tax list. Subsequently, there are entries indicating a Thos., Sr., and Thos., Jr. Also, a Thomas Gough marries A.A Nelson on 25 Sep 1826 in Washington Co. - probably Thos., Jr., since he is listed with three children 1-5 in the 1830 census. Thos. Jr. buys land in what became Choctaw Co. in 1837, about the same time as Jonathon B. Gough, though both appear on the Washington Co. 1840 Census (Choctaw Co. was not formed until Dec 1848.). On the 1850 census, both are in Choctaw Co., AL. Meanwhile, Thos., Sr. evidently dies between the 1830 and 1840 Census. On the former, he is listed as being between 60 and 70 years old (b. 1760-70), about right to fit in with what we know about William Gough, Sr.'s son Thomas. Also, this census has a male 30-40, and a female 40-50 with several children. This implies another son with his family (or a second wife for Thomas, Sr.). I suspect these children are the source of some of the younger Goughs on the 1850 Choctaw Co. Census. Anyway, this whole batch is not on the Washington Co. 1840 Census. Thos. Gough, Jr. appears on both the 1830 and 1840 Washington Co. Census with a growing family, and then on the 1850 and 1860 Choctaw Co. Census. However, it is by no means certain that this Thos., Sr. was brother to Jonathon, Sr. - he could just as easily be a cousin. Hoever, all the data fits, and I believe he will ultimately prove to be William Gough, Sr.'s son."
1830 Washington Co., AL census Pg 246 (490)
Thomas Goff, Sr. 0200010010 - 0110001000
Thomas Goff, Jr. 2000100000 - 1000100000
Jonathon Goff 0011000100 - 0011100000
Pg 246 (490)
Arnet Dougherty 1000100000 - 0000100000
Pg 245 (489)
Patrick Daugherty 1100010000 - 0000100000
5. v. ABIGAIL GOUGH, b. Abt. 1779; d. Aft. 1845, KY?.
6. vi. CHARITY GOUGH, b. Abt. 1780.
7. vii. NANCY ANN GOUGH, b. Abt. 1784, KY; d. Bef. 1829, Butler Co., KY.
3. JOSHUA2 GOUGH (WILLIAM1) was born March 31, 1744, and died 1820 in Monongalia Co., VA(WV). He married CHARITY LUNSFORD.
Notes for JOSHUA GOUGH: From the Internet: BRENDA YATES, Email address email@example.com, Dec. 1997: I am interested in knowing if anyone has the information regarding the marriage of Joshua Gough B: 31 Mar 1744 Overwharton Parrish Reg. D: 1820 Monongalia Co VA(WV). He is the son of William and Lucy Byram Gough. He supposedly married Charity Lunsford. I know that his wife is Charity but cannot confirm Lunsford. This comes from some old research from the 1920s, but does not state any source. They lived in Farquier Co VA and moved to Randolph Co VA(WV) probably about 1790-95. I have done all kinds of Lunsford research and cannot find her parents. Their daughter Lettice Gough married Charles Boyles (my 3g- grandparents). Lettice was B: ab 1771 and D: ab 1852 Monongalia Co VA(WV). I also would like to know if you have the information that is listed in the data base from Virginia Colonial Library regarding some of the early Goughs. I would actually like to know (confirming) all of the early ancestry of Joshua Gough. If this is available I really would appreciate hearing from you. I have quite a bit of information that I have researched and also from other researchers. Look forward to hearing from you. Dixie Bishop in Utah.
This note from Rob Fransham, firstname.lastname@example.org, April 2005 - From Monongalia Co., (W)Va Courthouse records the Will of Joshua Gough (Goff) was read in May 1820. Survivors were his spouse, Charity, sons Thomas, Byram and William, and daughters Ann and Lucy Jones, Elizabeth and Polly Lewellen, and Charity Minear.
BACKto main tree
Gene Gough's Family Pages
A Gough Family in Lancashire & Westmorland
Gough on GenForum
Janet Gough McMurray
My GOUGH line at GenCircles
Phil's DNA for GOUGH
Links to My Webpages
Visit ROOTSWEB Freepages!