Descendants of Robert Holt and Mildred Stanfield
1. Robert1 Holt; b. 8 May 1755 in VA; m. Mildred Stanfield, daughter of Thomas Stanfield and Elizabeth Banks, before 1783; d. before 2 Jun 1821 in Knox, TN.1
Robert Holt's will was dated Aug 16, 1812 and acknowledge by him on June 12, 1819. It was presented for probate on the first Monday in July 1821.
Children of Robert1 Holt and Mildred Stanfield were as follows:
· + 3. ii. Elizabeth J., b. circa 1784 in Halifax County, VA; m. Timothy Meigs.
· + 4. iii. Jane, b. circa 1785; m. John Givens.
· + 6. v. Frances S., b. 1 Jun 1788; m. Lewis Ross.
· + 7. vi. Sarah, b. 7 Jul 1789 in Halifax County, VA; m. Thomas Carmichael Hindman.
2. Irby2 Holt (Robert1); b. 20 Jul 1783; m. Sarah (--?--) before 1808; d. 12 Jan 1829 in Monroe County, TN, at age 45; bur. in County Line Cemetery, McMinn County, TN.
Children of Irby2 Holt and Sarah (--?--) were as follows:
· 12. v. Frances S.; b. circa 1816; m. James C. Henderson before 2 Jul 1836; m. Franklin L. Yoakum 27 Nov 1841 McMinn Co. TN; Court Record on 10 Nov 1849 states that a daughter of Irby Holt married Franklin L. Yoakum of Texas. The other daughters are accounted for, so it must have been Frances.
· + 14. vii. Thomas W., b. after 1 Jul 1823; m. Mary E. Cardwell.
· + 15. viii. Francis Asbury, b. 13 Nov 1826; m. Sarah D. Yearwood.
3. Elizabeth J.2 Holt (Robert1); b. circa 1784 in Halifax County, VA; In 1850 she was living in the household of her daughter Elizabeth Jane Hawk. Her age was given as 66 and her birthplace as VA;2 m. Timothy Meigs, son of Return Jonathan Meigs and Grace Starr, 24 Aug 1806 in Southwest Point, TN; d. circa 1851 in Riceville, McMinn County, TN.
Children of Elizabeth J.2 Holt and Timothy Meigs were as follows:
· + 17. ii. Emily Stanfield, b. 25 Oct 1808 in Hiwassee, TN; m. John Walker Jr.
· + 18. iii. Elizabeth Jane, b. 19 Nov 1809 in Hiwassee, TN; m. Madison Carothers Hawk.
· + 19. iv. Return Jonathan, b. 3 Apr 1812 in Southwest Point, TN; m. Jane Ross.
· + 20. v. Robert Holt, b. 25 Oct 1813 in Hiwassee, TN; m. Permelia Ball.
4. Jane2 Holt (Robert1); b. circa 1785; m. John Givens 26 Jan 1801 in Knox, TN; d. before 16 Aug 1812.
She was deceased at the time her father wrote his will in 1812. He bequeathed slaves to her children.
Children of Jane2 Holt and John Givens were as follows:
6. Frances S.2 Holt (Robert1); Her middle name was probably Stanfield as her brother, Irby Holt, had a daughter Frances S. Several other members of this family gave their daughters the middle name of Stanfield; b. 1 Jun 1788; m. Lewis Ross, son of Daniel Ross and Mary McDonald, 15 Mar 1817 in Blount, TN; d. 12 Oct 1860 in Park Hill, Cherokee Nation, (now Oklahoma), at age 72; Old Ross Cemetery.
She, along with her husband and her nephew Return Jonathan Meigs and his family made the trek with the Cherokees on the Trail of Tears. They lived at Park Hill where her brother-in-law Chief John Ross also made his home.
Children of Frances S.2 Holt and Lewis Ross were as follows:
· 26. ii. Minerva A.; b. 26 Jan 1819 in TN; m. George Michael Murrell Jul 1834 in Cherokee Agency, Rhea, TN; d. 1855 in Park Hill, Cherokee Nation. Emmet Starr gives her birth date as 1818. If this is correct, then date of sister Amanda M. is incorrect. Her tombstone has the date 1819.
· 28. iv. Sarah Elizabeth; b. 1822; d. 11 Jan 1824 in Bradley County, TN; Sarah Elizabeth was buried in the Methodist Episcopal and Baptist Cemtery, now located behind the First Baptist Church, in Calhoun TN. She is buried next to Grace S. Callaway, her cousin. Sarah Elizabeth died at the age of two.
· 30. vi. Robert Daniel; b. 12 Jan 1825; m. Caroline Todd; d. 26 Sep 1863 at age 38. Robert Daniel Ross graduated from Princeton College in 1844 then from Jefferson Medical College. He was surgeon of the Confederate regiment commanded by Col. John Drew.
7. Sarah2 Holt (Robert1); b. 7 Jul 1789 in Halifax County, VA. She is named in her father's will as one of the two youngest daughters along with Fanny. Sarah is named last and is probably the younger; m. Thomas Carmichael Hindman, son of Samuel Hindman and Sarah Carmichael, 21 Jan 1819 in Knoxville, Knox, TN; d. Mar 1849 in MO at age 59.
Children of Sarah2 Holt and Thomas Carmichael Hindman were as follows:
· 36. v. Thomas Carmichael; b. 28 Jan 1828 in Knoxville, Knox, TN; m. Mary Briscoe circa 1850; He was assassinated on 28 September 1868 in Helena, Arkansas as he sat in his parlor with his wife and children. A bullet was fired through a window striking him in the throat. He asked to be carried out onto the porch where he sat in a chair and talked of his life experiences until his voice failed. He was then carried back inside where he immediately died.
Children of Elizabeth (Betsy)3 Holt and James Hays Ragan were:
Children of Thomas W.3 Holt and Mary E. Cardwell were as follows:
· + 40. ii. Francis Asbury, b. 1845 in Knoxville, Knox, TN; m. Emma Cox.
Children of Francis Asbury3 Holt and Sarah D. Yearwood were as follows:
16. Grace Starr3 Meigs (Elizabeth2Holt, Robert1); b. 25 Oct 1807 in Hiwassee, TN; m. Thomas Farrar Marshall Callaway, son of John Farrar Callaway and Sarah Hardin, 31 May 1825 in McMinn County, TN; d. 1 Nov 1853 in McMinn County, TN, at age 46. She attended the Brainerd Mission school along with sister Emily. They entered on June 9, 1817. So far I have been unable to find how long they were students there. [Information from Joyce B. Phillips and Paul Gary Phillips, The Brainerd Journal: A Mission to the Cherokees 1817-1823 (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1998), p. 419.]
Children of Grace Starr3 Meigs and Thomas Farrar Marshall Callaway were as follows:
17. Emily Stanfield3 Meigs (Elizabeth2Holt, Robert1); b. 25 Oct 1808 in Hiwassee, TN; m. John Walker Jr., son of John Walker and Elizabeth Lowrey, 10 Jul 1824 in Rhea, TN; d. 20 Jun 1888 in TN at age 79.
Children of Emily Stanfield3 Meigs and John Walker Jr. were as follows:
· + 49. ii. Elizabeth Grace, b. 8 Jun 1826 in McMinn County, TN; m. James Madison Coleman; m. William Pryor Smith.
· + 50. iii. Minerva Jane, b. circa 1832; m. James Armstrong Lea; div. James Armstrong Lea; m. Lorenzo Delano.
· + 51. iv. John Osborn, b. 11 Feb 1835; m. Lucretia or Lucinda Taylor; m. Polly Nivens; m. Georgianna Wilkins.
18. Elizabeth Jane3 Meigs (Elizabeth2Holt, Robert1); b. 19 Nov 1809 in Hiwassee, TN; m. Madison Carothers Hawk, son of Robert Hawk and (--?--) Carothers, 25 Oct 1834 in Monroe County, TN; d. 14 Jun 1880 at age 70.
Children of Elizabeth Jane3 Meigs and Madison Carothers Hawk were as follows:
· + 53. ii. Timothy Sullins, b. 5 Jun 1837 in McMinn County, TN; m. Rosanah (--?--).
· + 55. iv. Sarah Grace, b. 19 Nov 1841 in McMinn County, TN; m. James Dortford Porter.
· + 57. vi. Matison Ann, b. 14 Nov 1849 in McMinn County, TN; m. James S. Brewer.
19. Return Jonathan3 Meigs (Elizabeth2Holt, Robert1); b. 3 Apr 1812 in Southwest Point, TN; m. Jane Ross, daughter of John Ross and Elizabeth (Quatie) Brown, 1838 in McMinn County, TN; d. 6 Aug 1850 at age 38.
According to tradition Jane's father John Ross was preparing to send her away to a Moravian School in Salem, N. C. when his plans were thwarted by the elopement of Jane and Return Jonathan Meigs. The story goes that Jane carried a bucket down to a spring near their home supposedly to get some fresh water. When out of sight of the house, she set the bucket down, leaped on the horse behind her sweetheart and they were away before anyone knew what was afoot. They went to Cleveland Tennessee where they are said to have "plighted their troth out in the open as was the tribal custom," in front of the Baldwin Harle home.5
Children of Return Jonathan3 Meigs and Jane Ross were as follows:
· + 60. ii. Henry Clay, b. Nov 1841 in Park Hill, Cherokee Nation; m. Josephine L. Bigelow.
· + 62. iv. Return Robert, b. 21 Jun 1846 in Park Hill, Cherokee Nation; m. Jennie Ross; m. Helen Chrissie Blevins.
Children of Robert Holt3 Meigs and Permelia Ball were:
Children of Amanda Melvina3 Ross and George Michael Murrell were as follows:
Children of Sarah Elizabeth4 Ragan and Benjamin Franklin Welcker were:
46. Return John Farrar4 Callaway (Grace3Meigs, Elizabeth2Holt, Robert1); b. 1826 in McMinn County, TN; m. Julia Ann Castiller, daughter of Alfred S. Castiller and Rhoda Wooten, 29 Oct 1845; d. 4 Aug 1880 in McDonald, MO; He died while plowing his fields on 4 Aug 1880 in McDonald County, Missouri. He was 55.
The story told by Earl Callaway one of his grandsons is that the family fled Tennessee during the Civil War after Julia shot a Confederate officer who was taking the family cow. R. J. F. did not serve in the war as he and Julia's sympathies were at odds, he being a Unionist and she a Confederate. Records in Bradley County, however, indicate the family did not leave there until after the Civil War.
Children of Return John Farrar4 Callaway and Julia Ann Castiller were as follows:
He was a lawyer and at the time of his death was the city attorney of both Claremore and Catoosa. His occupation earlier in Missouri had been as the owner of a livery stable.
In a pocket diary he carried at the time of his death he described himself as 5'11', weight 125 lbs, size 7 shoe, 14 1/2 shirt and 7 ½ hat.
48. Timothy Meigs4 Walker (Emily3Meigs, Elizabeth2Holt, Robert1); b. 7 Oct 1824 in TN; m. Elizabeth Neely Adair, daughter of Walter Scott Adair and Nancy Harris, 13 Aug 1843; d. 5 Sep 1894 in Ft. Gibson, Muskogee, OK, at age 69. He was a Judge of Illinois District of the Cherokee Nation and Superintendent of the Cherokee Female Seminary at Tahlequah.
Children of Timothy Meigs4 Walker and Elizabeth Neely Adair were as follows:
49. Elizabeth Grace4 Walker (Emily3Meigs, Elizabeth2Holt, Robert1); b. 8 Jun 1826 in McMinn County, TN; m. James Madison Coleman, son of Covington Coleman and Lucy G. Day, 20 Oct 1840 in Athens, McMinn County, TN; m. William Pryor Smith 2 Apr 1868; d. 21 May 1903 in Fort Gibson, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory, at age 76.
Children of Elizabeth Grace4 Walker and James Madison Coleman were as follows:
Children of Elizabeth Grace4 Walker and William Pryor Smith were as follows:
50. Minerva Jane4 Walker (Emily3Meigs, Elizabeth2Holt, Robert1); b. circa 1832; m. James Armstrong Lea circa 1845; she and James Armstrong Lea were divorced 12 Nov 1846 in Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation; “An Act for the Benefit of Minerva Jane Lea. Whereas Mrs. Minerva Jane Lea of the Cherokee Nation having partitioned the National Council for the passage of a special Act of divorce separating her from her husband J. Armstrong Lea. . . And said petitioner having satisfied the National Council, that her prayer ought to be granted . . . the bonds of matrimony heretofore existing between J. Armstrong Lea and Minerva Jane Lea (late Minerva Jane Walker) be and the same are hereby dissolved . . . Tahlequah, C. N. Nov 12, 1846.” (Legislative act of Cherokee National Council); m. Lorenzo Delano 14 Nov 1849; d. 7 Jul 1870 in Cleveland, Bradley County, TN.
Children of Minerva Jane4 Walker and James Armstrong Lea were:
Children of Minerva Jane4 Walker and Lorenzo Delano were as follows:
51. John Osborn4 Walker (Emily3Meigs, Elizabeth2Holt, Robert1); b. 11 Feb 1835; m. Lucretia or Lucinda Taylor, daughter of Chief Richard Taylor and Susan Fields, before 1855; m. Polly Nivens after 1859; m. Georgianna Wilkins after 1875; d. 11 Mar 1891 in Fort Gibson, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory, at age 56.
Children of John Osborn4 Walker and Lucretia or Lucinda Taylor were:
Children of John Osborn4 Walker and Polly Nivens were:
There were no children of John Osborn4 Walker and Georgianna Wilkins.
Children of Timothy Sullins4 Hawk and Rosanah (--?--) were:
Children of Sarah Grace4 Hawk and James Dortford Porter were as follows:
Children of Matison Ann4 Hawk and James S. Brewer were as follows:
59. John Ross4 Meigs (Return3, Elizabeth2Holt, Robert1); b. 30 Nov 1839 in Park Hill, Cherokee Nation; m. Mary E. Freeman, daughter of George W. Freeman and Jane (--?--), 6 Oct 1858 in Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory; d. 5 Feb 1899 in Park Hill, Indian Territory, at age 59.
Children of Henry Clay4 Meigs and Josephine L. Bigelow were as follows:
Children of Return Robert4 Meigs and Jennie Ross were as follows:
Children of Richard Dunlap4 Meigs and Lessie Limb were:
send e-mail to:
Created with The Master Genealogist for Windows on 28 Oct 2001 at 14:50:52.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids