Descendants of (--?--) Chandler
1. It is probable that Jonathan1 Chandler was the father of the Chandlers who went to Arkansas from Kentucky/Illinois in early 1800s. He was born circa 1765 in SC, and probably married Rebecca Davis, daughter of Clement Davis, before 1792.
What is known about this Chandler family is that they were in South Carolina before migrating to Kentucky sometime between 1796 when daughter Elizabeth was born in SC and 1799 when son Davis was born in KY. This may be the family of Jonathan Chandler who first appeared on the tax lists for Christian County, KY in 1801, but was not on the census there in 1810. By 1810 several of the Marshall and Davis families from Christian County had moved to Grand Tower in what is now Jackson Co., Illinois Territory, where there is also a J. Chandler on the census, living nearby. Davis Chandler married Priscilla Marshall, daughter of Robert Marshall and Leah Ann Davis. Robert Marshall was in Washington County, Arkansas in 1829 on the Sheriff's census, as were both Jacob and Davis Chandler. It is possible that the wife of J. Chandler was a Davis, hence the name of son Davis.
Children of (perhaps) Jonathan1 Chandler and Rebecca Davis were as follows:
She appeared on the census in 1850 Scott Co. AR with the family of Jacob Reeder and her sister Elizabeth; in1860 she was on the census in Washington Co. AR with brother Jacob Chandler. No known children.
· 2. ii. Jacob, born 20 Apr 1793 at SC; married Elizabeth Reeder; married Sarah Stout.
· 3. iii. Elizabeth, born 1796 at SC; married Jacob Reeder.
· 4. iv. Clement Davis, born circa 1799 at KY; married Priscilla Marshall.
· v. Enoch; born circa 1805; died 1 Aug 1838 at Washington County, AR. A man named Spencer Asbury was convicted of his murder and sentenced to hang. However, he escaped and was never recaptured. Enoch served, along with his nephew Preston Chandler, in the Army and was stationed at Fort Gibson, Indian Territory in 1836 during the relocation of the Indian tribes. These troops were there to keep the peace between the tribes.
2. Jacob2 Chandler (Jonathan1) was born on 20 Apr 1793 at SC. He married Elizabeth Reeder, daughter of Micajah Reeder and Judith Roland, on 30 May 1815. He married Sarah Stout on 8 Jan 1845 at Evansville, Washington County, AR, by Rev. W. Harrell. He died on 14 Nov 1876 at Washington County, AR, at age 83. He was originally buried on his farm alongside State Highway 59 between Evansville and Dutch Mills, but his tombstone was moved by a descendant in the 1970s to Vineyard Church Cemetery, near Evansville.
Children of Jacob2 Chandler and Elizabeth Reeder were as follows:
· ii. William; born circa 1818 in either Illinois or Arkansas; died circa 1818. He may have died at birth. The family Bible gives no birth date, but lists him between Emily born 1816 and Preston born 1820.
· 6. iii. Preston, born 4 Feb 1820 at AR; married Bathsheba Ann Bartlett.
· 7. iv. Alfred, born 13 Jul 1821 at AR; married Mary Ellen Magner.
· 8. v. Benjamin F., born 4 Oct 1822; married Serena J. Bartlett; married Sarah (--?--).
· 9. vii. Albert, born 5 Oct 1826 at AR; married Burilla (--?--).
· 10. x. James M., born 23 Apr 1833 at AR; married Margaret Morrow; married Helen Marr Ewing.
There were no children of Jacob2 Chandler and Sarah Stout.
3. Elizabeth2 Chandler (Jonathan1) was born in 1796 at SC. She married Jacob Reeder, son of Micajah Reeder and Judith Roland, before 1818. She died before 1860 at Scott County, AR. She appeared on the census at 1850 Scott Co. AR. After her death, her husband and children moved to Texas.
Children of Elizabeth2 Chandler and Jacob Reeder were as follows:
· 11. ii. William R., born 12 Aug 1823 at AR; married Emily Jane Catherine Watson.
· 12. iii. Warren W., born 2 Sep 1825 at AR; married Delphia G. Graham.
· 13. iv. Ambrose S., born 1827 at AR; married Caroline Murphy; married Henrietta (--?--).
· 14. v. Darinda Jane, born 1830; married Hugh Grayson.
· x. James; born Jan 1845 at AR; married Mary E. (--?--); died after 1900. He appeared on the census at Scott Co AR 1850; Lamar Co, TX 1860. He was born when Elizabeth was 49! He was perhaps either a grandson or an adopted child, perhaps both. There were 8 years between his birth and that of the previous child. He may have been an illegitimate child of Dorinda.
4. Clement Davis2 Chandler (Jonathan1) was born circa 1799 at KY. He married Priscilla Marshall, daughter of John Marshall and Leah Davis, circa 1824 at AR. He died circa 1845 at Bastrop, TX. On 5 January 1829 Davis Chandler took oath as a member of Austin's Colony in Texas. He gave his age as 30, his wife Prissa age 23, and indicated 1 child and one other dependent. His profession was Farmer and he had come from Arkansas. In the Texas Revolution, he was in Captain Cleveland's Millcreek Volunteers.
Children of Clement Davis2 Chandler and Priscilla Marshall were as follows:
· 16. ii. Louisa, born 27 Mar 1828 at AR; married James Harvey Tankersley; married John G. McKinzie.
· 17. iii. Lucinda, born 1831 at TX; married George E. Hill.
· 18. iv. Enoch, born 1838 at TX; married Pamelia Ann Raney.
· 19. vi. Preston, born 1843 at TX; married Mary Jane Thompson.
Children of Emily3 Chandler and Thomas Latta were as follows:
6. Preston3 Chandler (Jacob2, Jonathan1) was born on 4 Feb 1820 at AR. He married Bathsheba Ann Bartlett, daughter of Joseph Shurtleff Bartlett and Amanda F. Porter, on 13 Feb 1853 at Washington County, AR. He died on 5 Jan 1884 at Washington County, AR, at age 63. He was buried at on his farm, Washington County, AR. In the 1980s his headstone was removed from the farm and placed in the Vineyard Church Cemetery.
He appeared on the census at 1850-1880 Washington Co. AR. He was; Indian Wars of 1830's & Union Horse Guard in Civil War. In 1863 Preston fled from his farm in Washington County and went to Indian Territory because of the hostility of his Confederate neighbors. According to his deposition filed in support of his claim before the Southern Claims Commission, he was twice shot. The second time he was hit in four places. In March 1865 he joined one of the Federal "Colonies" formed for the protection of farmers loyal to the Union. The Colony he joined was located 12 miles SW of Fayetteville. This was probably the colony at West Fork. He remained there until the end of the war when he returned to his farm.
· 21. ii. Lucinda Serena, born 11 Jul 1856; married Alexander H. Dunn.
· 22. iii. Elizabeth, born 7 Nov 1858; married John A. Miller.
· 23. v. Emily A., born 18 Oct 1864; married Art Leach.
· 24. viii. Orpha Jane, born 21 Jun 1872; married James H. Carson; married Tipton Craig Worsham.
· 25. x. James W., born 1 Jun 1877; married Elizabeth P. "Bess" Choate.
Children of Alfred3 Chandler and Mary Ellen Magner were as follows:
8. Benjamin F.3 Chandler (Jacob2, Jonathan1) was born on 4 Oct 1822. He married Serena J. Bartlett, daughter of Joseph Shurtleff Bartlett and Amanda F. Porter, on 8 Jan 1856 at Washington County, AR. He married Sarah (--?--) before 1880. He died on 2 Jul 1909 at Sebastian, AR, at age 86. He was buried at Greenwood City Cem., Sebastian, AR.
There were no children of Benjamin F.3 Chandler and Serena J. Bartlett.
Children of Benjamin F.3 Chandler and Sarah (--?--) were as follows:
10. James M.3 Chandler (Jacob2, Jonathan1) was born on 23 Apr 1833 at AR. He married Margaret Morrow on 18 Nov 1858 at Washington County, AR. He married Helen Marr Ewing on 30 Jul 1865 at Washington County, AR. He died on 10 Nov 1914 at age 81. According to the Southern Claims Deposition of Preston, James served in the Confederate forces.
Children of James M.3 Chandler and Margaret Morrow were:
· 27. iii. Lulia Emily, born 9 Jul 1873; married Byron H. Bryant; married John S. Dodson.
11. William R.3 Reeder (Elizabeth2Chandler, Jonathan1) was born on 12 Aug 1823 at AR. He married Emily Jane Catherine Watson, daughter of Paul Watson and Jane (--?--) on 5 Jun 1843 at Bonham, Fanin, TX. He died on 21 Jan 1912 at Fillmore, Ventura, CA, at age 88. He was buried at Forest Lawn, Los Angeles, CA. He appeared on the census at Fannin Co. TX 1850. He Source for most of information on William was from Larry Renslow and Donna Dueck, Pleasanton, CA.
Children of William R.3 Reeder and Emily Jane Catherine Watson were as follows:
Children of Warren W.3 Reeder and Delphia G. Graham were as follows:
13. Ambrose S.3 Reeder (Elizabeth2Chandler, Jonathan1) was born in 1827 at AR. He married Caroline Murphy on 19 Jul 1858 at Fanin Co., TX. He married Henrietta (--?--) in 1866. He died before 1873 at Fannin, TX.
Children of Ambrose S.3 Reeder and Caroline Murphy were:
Children of Ambrose S.3 Reeder and Henrietta (--?--) were as follows:
Children of Darinda Jane3 Reeder and Hugh Grayson were:
15. Lewis3 Chandler (Clement2, Jonathan1) was born on 13 Oct 1824. Although some sources say he was born in Washington County, AR, it is probable that it was actually in Old Miller County Arkansas (now in southeastern Oklahoma) where the Chandlers went with the Reeders sometime between 1821 and 1825. In 1825, settlers in that area were required to move when the land was ceded as a home for the Choctaws. The Chandlers initially returned to Clark County, but by 1829 had moved to Washington County. He married Mary Isabel Harrell on 5 Apr 1849 at Williamson, TX. He married Anna Tully on 6 Jul 1896 at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA. He died on 25 Dec 1915 at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA, at age 91. Lewis was in Ross's Company of Bell's Regiment of Army Mounted Volunteers.
Children of Lewis3 Chandler and Mary Isabel Harrell were as follows:
· 29. ii. Josephine, born 21 Dec 1853 at Quartsburg, Mariposa, CA; married Thomas Dingwall.
· 30. iii. Frank Preston, born 9 May 1856 at Quartsburg, Mariposa, CA; married Ida Glorer.
· 31. v. Milam, born 26 Oct 1860 at Pescadero, San Mateo, CA; married Jesse Altana Peck.
· 32. ix. Lewis A., born 16 Aug 1870 at Davenport, Santa Cruz, CA; married Edith MacAdams.
· 33. x. Hattie Belle, born 17 Jan 1873 at Davenport, Santa Cruz, CA; married William Hamilton.
There were no children of Lewis3 Chandler and Anna Tully.
16. Louisa3 Chandler (Clement2, Jonathan1) was born on 27 Mar 1828 at AR. She married James Harvey Tankersley on 15 Jan 1849 at Williamson, TX. She married John G. McKinzie, son of Charles McKinzie, on 23 Feb 1864. She died on 19 Dec 1903 at Youngsport, Bell Co., TX, at age 75. She was buried at Live Oak Cemetery, Youngsport, Bell Co., TX.
· ii. Mary A.; born 23 Jan 1854; married Thomas J. Ray 1870; died 22 Sep 1928 at Youngsport, Bell Co., TX, at age 74;3 buried at Live Oak Cemetery, Youngsport, Bell Co., TX.
· 35. iii. Leroy Jackson, born May 1857; married Agnes Young; married Ella B. Anderson.
· iv. Lucinda Frances; born 1859; married J. E. Wiley 17 Sep 1881.4
Children of Louisa3 Chandler and John G. McKinzie were as follows:
· 37. ii. Nancy E., born 1870; married Jack C. Wright.
Children of Lucinda3 Chandler and George E. Hill were:
Enoch Chandler applied for a Confederate pension in 1902. At the time he gave his age as 65 and said he lived at Rockdale in Milam County. He said he owned no real estate and the only valuable property he possessed was two horses and a wagon with total value of $75.00. He sent a note to the Pension office January 19, 1902 saying he had moved to High prairie, Madison County, Texas.
Children of Preston3 Chandler and Mary Jane Thompson were:
Children of Mary Lelander4 Chandler and Charlie Crozier were as follows:
21. Lucinda Serena4 Chandler (Preston3, Jacob2, Jonathan1) was born on 11 Jul 1856 at Washington County, AR. She married Alexander H. Dunn. She died before 1920. Her husband Alexander H. Dunn is listed with son Alexander. The 1920 census lists Inola L age 5 months, Alberta T age 7 and Preston A age 5 in the household of son Alexander.
Children of Lucinda Serena4 Chandler and Alexander H. Dunn were as follows:
22. Elizabeth4 Chandler (Preston3, Jacob2, Jonathan1) was born on 7 Nov 1858 at Washington County, AR. She married John A. Miller on 31 Mar 1881 at Washington County, AR. She died on 26 Jan 1937 at age 78.
Children of Elizabeth4 Chandler and John A. Miller were:
Children of Emily A.4 Chandler and Art Leach were as follows:
24. Orpha Jane4 Chandler (Preston3, Jacob2, Jonathan1) was born on 21 Jun 1872 at Washington County, AR. She married James H. Carson on 28 Dec 1893 at Washington County, AR. She married Tipton Craig Worsham, son of Thomas Barnett Worsham and Amanda Paralee Hale, on 27 Jul 1906 at Stilwell, Adair County, OK. She died on 27 Dec 1940 at Stilwell, Adair County, OK, at age 68.
Children of Orpha Jane4 Chandler and James H. Carson were as follows:
· iii. James; born 4 Jan 1899; married Jewell Beckham; Record of this marriage found in a book of Tennyson's poems belonging to Elsie Jewell Worsham. It says "Mrs. Jewell Beckham brought into the family by the marriage of Jim Carson son of Mrs. T. C. Worsham of Stilwell;" died 26 Mar 1924 at Stilwell, Adair County, OK, at age 25; of pneumonia.
Children of Orpha Jane4 Chandler and Tipton Craig Worsham were as follows:
· ii. Elsie Jewell; born 25 Dec 1909 at Rush Springs, Grady, OK; married Aden Marshell Callaway, son of Alfred Marshell Callaway and Eliza Lavina Vincent, 29 Jun 1929 at Tahlequah, Cherokee, OK; died 29 Sep 1965 at Wagoner, Wagoner County, OK, at age 55; buried at Claremore, Rogers County, OK.
Children of James A.4 Chandler and C. A. (--?--) were as follows:
Children of Lulia Emily4 Chandler and Byron H. Bryant were:
There were no children of Lulia Emily4 Chandler and John S. Dodson.
Children of James4 Chandler and Mary Bernard were as follows:
29. Josephine4 Chandler (Lewis3, Clement2, Jonathan1) was born on 21 Dec 1853 at Quartsburg, Mariposa, CA. She married Thomas Dingwall in 1875 at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA. She died on 27 Aug 1920 at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA, at age 66.
Children of Josephine4 Chandler and Thomas Dingwall were as follows:
30. Frank Preston4 Chandler (Lewis3, Clement2, Jonathan1) was born on 9 May 1856 at Quartsburg, Mariposa, CA. He married Ida Glorer on 29 Apr 1882 at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA. He died on 23 Apr 1949 at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA, at age 92.
Children of Frank Preston4 Chandler and Ida Glorer were as follows:
31. Milam4 Chandler (Lewis3, Clement2, Jonathan1) was born on 26 Oct 1860 at Pescadero, San Mateo, CA. He married Jesse Altana Peck on 26 Feb 1884 at Peck Ranch, Soquel, Santa Cruz, CA. He died on 19 Feb 1891 at Soquel, Santa Cruz, CA, at age 30.
Children of Milam4 Chandler and Jesse Altana Peck were as follows:
32. Lewis A.4 Chandler (Lewis3, Clement2, Jonathan1) was born on 16 Aug 1870 at Davenport, Santa Cruz, CA. He married Edith MacAdams on 2 Oct 1895 at Bad Mountain District, Santa Cruz, CA. He died on 13 Jul 1923 at Hollister, San Benito, CA, at age 52.
Children of Lewis A.4 Chandler and Edith MacAdams were as follows:
33. Hattie Belle4 Chandler (Lewis3, Clement2, Jonathan1) was born on 17 Jan 1873 at Davenport, Santa Cruz, CA. She married William Hamilton. She died on 24 Sep 1974 at Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA, at age 101.
Children of Hattie Belle4 Chandler and William Hamilton were:
Children of Richard Donaphon4 Tankersley and Satira F. Beach were as follows:
There were no children of Leroy Jackson4 Tankersley and Agnes Young.
Children of Leroy Jackson4 Tankersley and Ella B. Anderson were as follows:
36. Davis Chandler4 McKinzie (Louisa3Chandler, Clement.2, Jonathan1) was born on 14 Apr 1866 at Commanche, TX. He married Corine Maude Cox, daughter of Thomas Reeves Cox and Ida Knowles, on 17 May 1917 at Florence, TX. He died on 5 Mar 1940 at Kennedale, Tarrant, TX, at age 73.
Children of Davis Chandler4 McKinzie and Corine Maude Cox were as follows:
Children of Nancy E.4 McKinzie and Jack C. Wright were as follows:
Please send e-mail to:
Created with The Master Genealogist for Windows on 26 Jul 2001 at 09:17:07.