Jane's Genealogy Jigsaw
Quick Overview || Documentation || Links
Elmer Williams is the earliest ancestor I have found on this line. The first verified record of him is in Cass County, Michigan in the 1850 census.
I have not been able to prove that he is the same Elmer Williams listed in Random, Essex County, Vermont in the 1830 census or in Wilsons Township, Niagara County, New York in the 1840 census, but in each case the family composition is comparable.
It is because an Elmer Williams was listed in Random that I became interested in Brighton, Vermont —Brighton was originally named Random.
I searched the town records, hoping to find birth records for some of his children, especially his daughter Melissa, but unfortunately none of them was recorded there.
Quick overview of my line of descent
Below is a list of my direct ancestors with this surname.
It begins with the earliest known and (usually) ends when a female ancestor marries into another family.
No information on living persons is included.
- Elmer WILLIAMS, born about 1802 in Vermont; died 5 January 1885 Madison Twp, Lenawee County, Michigan. He married Betsey --?-- (born about 1806 in Vermont).
- Melissa Melinda WILLIAMS, born 2 April 1833 in Vermont; died 25 August 1874 in Hartford, Van Buren County, Michigan. She married on 13 July 1853 in Oshtemo, Kalamazoo County, Michigan Samuel Goodall TYLER (born 2 May 1832 in Haverhill, Grafton, New Hampshire; died 24 January 1913 in Free Soil, Mason, Michigan).
A list of the sources used to compile information on my Williams ancestors.
- Census History
A table showing where my Williams ancestors lived in each census year, with links to transcriptions.
- Source Summary
A list, in chronological order, of the sources for this family that have been posted on this website.
- Jane's Genealogy Jigsaw: Irish, Tyler, and Williams Families
My database at RootsWeb WorldConnect.
- Descendants of Elmer Williams: Surname Index
No longer being updated -- See WorldConnect database instead.
- Other Families in Williams, Michigan
Includes links to photographs of Parmeley family tombstones
- Williams Message Board
RootsWeb Message Board for the Williams surname
- Williams Mailing List
RootsWeb Mailing List for the Williams surname