Jane's Genealogy Jigsaw
Quick Overview || Documentation || Links
Charles Irish is most likely a descendant of John Irish (who emigrated to Duxbury, Massachusetts prior to 1630), but it has so far not proved possible to place him in a family with any certainty. He was probably born in Columbia County, New York, but was living in Middlefield, Otsego County, New York in the 1820 and 1830 census.
Esther Irish, born about 1792 in Columbia County, New York, was almost undoubtedly his sister. She married Royal Barlow and settled in Monroe County, New York. Charles Irish also lived in Monroe County for a while, and he named one of his sons Royal Barlow Irish.
My thanks to Abby Omans Lutz and Kent Barlow for information on the Barlow family. Kent also located Charles Irish's daughter "Roxey Nichols in Wisconsin" for me.
I am also deeply grateful to the volunteers at the Orleans County, New York, GenWeb Page without whose generosity I might not have discovered Edwin Adelbert Irish's father, thus breaking halfway through my biggest brickwall.
Quick overview of my line of descent
Below is a list of my direct ancestors with this surname.
It begins with the earliest known and (usually) ends when a female ancestor marries into another family.
No information on living persons is included.
- Charles IRISH, born about 1787 in New York State; died 25 July 1861 in Hartford, Van Buren County, Michigan. He married Amy BROWN (born about 1788 in New York State; died January 1860 in Hartford, Van Buren County, Michigan). Their children included:
- Amos IRISH, born 12 June 1819 in Otsego County, New York; died 8 May 1870 in Orleans County, New York; buried in Beechwood Cemetery, Kendall, Orleans County, NY. He married (2)Susan HUMPHREY. Their only known child was:
- Edwin Adelbert IRISH, born 27 July 1848 in Brockport, Monroe County, New York; died 12 August 1893 in Ava, Douglas County, Missouri. He married on 25 April 1875 in Hartford, Van Buren County, Michigan, Ellen Rosina TYLER (born 30 October 1859 in Hartford, Van Buren County, Michigan; died 23 June 1906 in Free Soil, Mason County, Michigan; buried Maple Grove Cemetery, Free Soil, Mason County, Michigan). Their children included:
- William Elmer IRISH, born 28 February 1890 in Roy, Douglas County, Missouri; died 12 August 1976 in Vashon, King County, Washington. He married on 29 October 1913 in Scottville, Mason County, Michigan, Blanche Leota LHAMON, (born 2 October 1892 in Willshire, Van Wert County, Ohio; died 4 May 1989 in Port Orchard, Kitsap County, Washington).
A list of the sources used to compile information on my Irish ancestors.
- Census History
A table showing where my Irish ancestors lived in each census year, with links to transcriptions.
- Source Summary
A list, in chronological order, of the sources for this family that have been posted on this website.
- Land Records
Irish family land records with links to the Bureau of Land Management website.
- Jane's Genealogy Jigsaw: Irish, Tyler, and Williams Families
My database at RootsWeb WorldConnect.
- Descendants of John Irish, The Immigrant 1629-1963
Includes scans of the text of the book by Willis Luther Irish and Stella Bertha (Putnam) Irish, as well as additional information and links to other Irish family sites.
- Descendants of John Irish — e version
- Irish Message Board
RootsWeb Message Board for the Irish surname
- Irish Mailing List
RootsWeb Mailing List for the Irish surname