The General Register Office (Oifig An Ard-Chláraitheora) maintains a genealogical/family history research facility at: Werburg Street, Dublin 2.
The Research facility is open Monday to Friday, (excluding public holidays) from 9.30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m.for the purpose of searching indexes to birth, death and marriage records and for obtaining photocopies of records (at €4 each) identified from the indexes.
General Register Office, Government Offices, Convent Road, Roscommon.
Fax: +353(0) 90 6632999, +353(0) 90 6632988
THERE IS NO RESEARCH FACILITY IN ROSCOMMON
Certificates of Birth, Marriage, or Death €20.00.
Particular search €2.00
A search through any indexes over any period not exceeding five years for any given entry
General search €20.00
A search through the indexes without specifying the object of the search, It is advisable to search the indexes on Familysearch.org first
Photocopy of a specified entry in the register €4.00
The fee which you must pay gives an entitlement to search through the indexes only.
You may not search through the registers, and it is not possible get sight of the actual registers here. You must give a reference number, obtainable from the indexes, and receive a photocopy of what is contained in the register.
There is a search room with tables for about 45 people and all the indexes are in that room. There are shelves containing many volumes which index alphabetically all the entries contained in the registers.
There is at least one clerk on duty to obtain your photocopy requests. Photocopies which cannot be provided immediately on request can be posted to applicants or may be collected by them at a later date.
" Now, up to three persons can work on foot of one General Search fee and can collectively take up to five years of indexes from the shelves at any one time. Further, each person on a General Search is now entitled to up to eight uncertified copies (photocopies) of register entries,"
Indexes in relation to the following records of life events are available for inspection at the research facility:
Births registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31 December, 1921 inclusive, and in Ireland (excluding the six north-eastern counties of Derry, Antrim, Down, Armagh, Fermanagh and Tyrone known as Northern Ireland) from 1922 onwards.
Deaths registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921 inclusive and in Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland) from 1922 onwards.
Non-Roman Catholic Marriages registered in the island of Ireland between 1st April, 1845 and 31st December, 1863 inclusive.
Marriages registered in the island of Ireland between 1st January, 1864 and 31st December, 1921 inclusive and in Ireland (excluding Northern Ireland) from 1922 onwards.
Domestic Adoptions registered in Ireland from 10th July, 1953 onwards.
1. Registers of Births registered in all Ireland on and after 1st January 1864 to 31st December, 1921, and in Ireland (exclusive of the six north eastern counties) from that date.
2. Registers of Deaths, registered in all Ireland on and after 1st January 1864 to 31st December 1921, and in Ireland (exclusive of the six north eastern counties) from that date.
3. Registers of Marriages in all Ireland from 1st April 1845 to 31st December 1863 except those celebrate by the Roman Catholic Clergy.
4. Registers of all Marriages registered in the whole of Ireland on and after the 1st January 1864 to 31st December 1921 and in Ireland (exclusive of the six north eastern counties) from that date.
5. Registers of Births at Sea of Children, one of whose parents is Irish, registered since 1st January 1864 to 31st December 1921, and after that date, of children of Irish parentage, not including children of parents belonging to the six north eastern counties.
6. Registers of Deaths at Sea of Irish born persons, registered since 1st January 1864 to 31st December 1921, and after that date of Irish born persons other than those born in the six north eastern counties.
7. Registers of Births of Children of Irish parents, certified by British Consuls abroad, since 1st January 1864 to 31st December 1921.
8. Registers of Deaths of Irish born persons certified by British Consuls abroad, since 1st. January 1864 to 31st December 1921.
9. Registers of Marriages celebrated in Dublin by the late Rev. J.G.F. Schulze, Minister of the German Protestant Church, Poolbeg Street, Dublin from 1806 to 1837 inclusive.
10. Registers under the "Births, Deaths, and Marriages (Army) Act 1879".
11. Original Certificates of Marriages celebrated by the Roman Catholic Clergy from 1st January 1864 to 30th September 1881 (The Registration of Marriages (Ireland) Act 1863 Section 11).
13. Adopted Children Register - legal adoptions registered on or after 10th July 1953.
14. Birth and Death registers under the Defence (Amendment) Act (No. 2) 1960.
15. Register of certain Births and Deaths occurring outside the State (The Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Act 1972 Section 4).
16. Register of certain Lourdes Marriages (Marriages Act 1972, section 2)
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids