Aherlow is a small village in the parish of Clonbeg, Barony of Clanwilliam, 3 miles, Irish, from Tipperary. Aherlow is in the beautiful glen of the same name, between the Galtee mountains. Galtymore, the highest peak, 3,015 feet, has a flat rock on the top, called "Dawson's Table". The owner of the glen district is Captain Dawson. There are also three small lakes about half way up the mountain, and the water scheme for Tipperary proposes the tapping of one of these. The land of the valley is good for pasture. Good trout fishing is to be had in the river running through it.
Annacarty, in the barony of Kilnamanagh, lower, parish of Donohill, is a village of six houses and a Catholic Church, 6 miles, Irish, north east of Tipperary, and 2 1/2 miles west by north from Dundrum railway station. Part of the district is good for dairying, the rest is boggy. Oats and potatoes are the principal crops. A mountain stream in the vicinity is good for brown trout. At Ballysheedy, one mile from Annacarty, there is a circular tower on Mr. Purefoy Bagwell's property. One of the arched floors fell at the beginning of 1889.
a village, in the parish of Templeleichally, barony of Owney and Arra, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster; containing 832 inhabitants. This place is situated on the road from Killaloe to Newport, and on the river Shannon, over which is a bridge of nineteen arches connecting it with the town of Killaloe, in the county of Clare. It contains about 110 houses, has a fair on the 24th of March (chiefly for pigs), and is a constabulary police station. One of the chapels belonging to the R.C. union or district of Templeleichally and Kilmastulla, otherwise called the union of Ballina and Boher, is situated in the village. Near the bridge are some remains of an ancient castle, probably erected to defend the passage of the river - See Templeichally.
The Townland of Ballynahinch, 467 acres, is in the Barony of Owney and Arra, Civil Parish of Kilcomenty, Poor Law Union of Nenagh, County Tipperary, North Riding.
The R.C. Parish there is called Ballinahinch and Killoscully. It is part of the Diocese of Emily and Cashel. It now has 2 churches, 1 primary school, 1 priest, and 4 primary school teachers.
The Tipperary Heritage Unit has filmed records of this R.C. parish from 1839 to 1899, and marriages from 1839 to 1899. The National Library of Ireland has Baptisms from July 7, 1839 to Feb. 7, 1874. No burial records have been published.
a village, in the parish of Templeteeny, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 4 miles W.S.W. from Clogheen, on the road from Cork to Dublin; containing 113 houses and 513 inhabitants. It is the residence of M. Burke, Esq.; and Ballywilliam is the residence of the agent of Caesar Sutton, Esq. Fairs are held on May12th, Aug. 21st and Dec. 17th. It is a constabulary police station; and a court is held for the manor, which is the property of the Earl of Kingston, since whose accession the village has been much improved. The parish church, recently erected; The R.C. chapel and a dispensary are situated here. There is a mineral spring of some repute.
a village, in the parish of Templetenny, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 4 miles W.S.W. from Clogheen, on the road from Cork to Dublin; containing 113 houses and 513 inhabitants. It is the residence of M. Burke, Esq.; and Ballywilliam is the residence of the agent of Caesar Sutton, Esq. Fairs are held on May12th, Aug. 21st and Dec. 17th. It is a constabulary police station; and a court is held for the manor, which is the property of the Earl of Kingston, since whose accession the village has been much improved. The parish church, recently erected; The R.C. chapel and a dispensary are situated here. There is a mineral spring of some repute.
BANSHA OR TEMPLENEIRY
a parish, in the barony of Clanwilliam, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 4 miles S.S.E. from Tipperary; containing 2975 inhabitants, of which number, 281 are in the village. The village is pleasantly situated on the mail coach road from Limerick, through Cahir, Clonmel and Carrick-on-Suir, to Waterford, and in 1831, contained 45 houses. A mill is worked by a stream from the river Arra, which runs through the village. A penny post to Clonmel has recently been established; and it is a station of the constabulary police. The parish is bounded on the south by the summit of part of the Galtee mountains; on the west by Trinity College lands and a stream which separates it from part of the parish of Kilshane; on the north by the parish of Clonfinglass and the river Arra; and on the east by the parish Clonbullogue. It comprises 11,443 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 4516 per annum; more than one-half is arable and pasture land, and the remainder mountain. The rivers Arra and Aherlow flow through the parish: The Arra is remarkable for its excellent trout, which are of a rich pink color, and in season throughout the year; and the Aherlow abounds with trout and eels, and frequently has salmon. A considerable portion of the Galtee mountains extends through the parish from east to west, and is partly pasturable for sheep and goats and a few mountain cattle, producing various kinds of heath and fern, and abounding with grouse, hares and rabbits. A portion of the Tipperary hills on the estates of E. O'RYAN and J.A. BUTLER, Esqs., is also in the parish; these hills stretch in a direction parallel with the Galtees, and are much frequented by woodcocks and foxes. The intervening valley is very fertile and in a high state of cultivation. In the bogs near the base of the hills have been found several large black oaks lying horizontally near the surface. The parish is well wooded throughout; on the Galtees is Ballydavid, an extensive wood of oak, beech, birch, larch, fir and Weymouth pine; and on the Tipperary hills is Bansha Wood, abounding with thickset, beech, birch, fir and oak; there are also several plantations, and nearly adjoining the village is a good nursery. Lime stone is the prevailing substratum, and is quarried for building, repairing the roads, and burning into lime for manure. A road from Cashel to Mitchelstown intersects the parish, and there are numerous other roads, which are kept in excellent repair. Lismacue, the seat of Hugh Baker, Esq, is a handsome castellated mansion, pleasantly situated in a highly cultivated demesne embellished with stately avenues of lime and beech trees, which latter are considered to be the finest in the kingdom. Bansha castle, the seat of E. O'RYAN, Esq., an elegant building in the castellated style, and Aherlow Castle, of J.A. BUTLER, Esq., are also prettily situated. Ash-Grove Castle, or Castle-Mary, the seat of Treavor Lloyd Ashe, Lord of the Man or of Bansha, is a castellated mansion in the Italian style of architecture, situated at the base of the Galtee mountains, 4000 acres of which are attached to the estate: the mountain scenery is exceedingly wild and romantic, and the rich and well-wooded vale beneath presents a pleasing contrast to the grandeur of the adjacent heights. On the estate is an ancient well, dedicated to St. Berryhearth, which is much frequented by the peasantry; and in the demesne is a small temple, in the Grecian style, with pleasure grounds attached, dedicated to the virgin. About half-way to the summit of the mountains is Lake Musgrave, an extensive sheet of water, imbedded within rocks, whose frowning summits afford secure eyries to eagles, and retreats to other birds of prey. The other seats are Ballydavid House, that of G. Baker, Esq.; Ashgrove of S. Moore, Esq.; Barnalough House of P. Smithwicke, Esq.; and Ruan Lodge of T.S. Manning, Esq.
The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, united from time immemorial to the rectory and vicarage of Graystown and the vicarage of Donohill, together constituting the corps of the precentorship of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to 230.15.4 1/2, and the tithes of the benefice amount to 675.7.8 1/4; the entire value of the precentorship, including glebe, is returned at 723.7.4. The church is a neat building, to which a handsome spire was added in 1813; it contains a marble monument to the late William Baker, Esq. of Lismaque. The glebe-house, near the church, is a commodious residence; the glebe contains nine acres, and there are also two pieces of ground in the parish of Donohill, containing 58a.2r.6p., belonging to the precentor and let on lease at 7 rent and a renewal fine of 14 annually. The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; the chapel, adjoining the churchyard, is a neat building. There are four pay schools, in which are about 160 boys and 60 girls. In the marsh lands have been found heads, horns and skeletons of the moose deer, one of which, of large dimensions, was found some few years since. The only relic of antiquity is a ruined wall, said to have formed part of the ancient castle of Bansha, but its history is quite unknown.
Population 416 in 1881 Bansha, in the parish of same name, barony of Clanwilliam, is a station on the Waterford and Limerick Railway, 4 3/4 miles, English, south east of Tipperary, and 19 3/4 miles from Clonmel. The village is situated in the valley of the Ara. Beautiful mountain scenery, enhanced by plantations, and an excellent river for pink trout, are features. The land of the district is good for grazing. Oats and potatoes are the principal crops. A favorable opportunity is afforded here for the resuscitation of a woollen enterprise, which failed in 1888. In the demesne of a castellated house, occupied by Mrs Warde, there is an old wall, with arched doorway, supposed to be the remains of the ancient castle of Bansha. It stands close to the public road, and is thickly covered with ivy. Skeletons of the moose deer were found in the parish about 60 years ago. The Protestant and Catholic churches stand next to each other in the village. The former has a fine tower and spire, added to the old edifice in 1813, and the latter in the Gothic style, was remodeled in 1887, at a cost of over L1,000.
BOURNEY or BOURCHIN
a parish, in the barony of Ikerrin, county of Tipperary, 4 1/2 miles S.E. from Rosecrea; containing 4061 inhabitants. This parish is situated between the mail coach road from Dublin to Limerick, and the public road from Rosecrea to Templemore; and comprises more than 9700 statute acres. The rivers Nore and Suir have their rise here in the side of the mountain of Benduff. their respective sources not being more than 1/2 mile distant from each other. The Noir peruses nearly a direct course through this parish and Corbally into Burris-in-Ossary; the Suir forms the southern boundary of this parish. Dangan Lodge is the seat of J. Middleton, Esq.; Derrylahan, of J. Mason, Esq.; Mount Fresco, of Horatio Lloyd, Esq.; and Lorn Park, of G. Roe, Esq. Here is a station of the constabulary police. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, to which the rectory and vicarage of Burrisnefarney were united by act of council, forming the union of Bourney, in the patronage of the Bishop; the rectory is impropriate in the Marchess of Ormonde. The tithes amount to 550 of which 350 is payable to the impropriator, and 200 to the vicar; and the gross tithes of the union payable to the incumbent amount to 384.12.4. The church is a plain building, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted 246.8.9. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of 350 and a loan of 450, in 1814, from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises about six acres in four detached portions in this parish. In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parishes of Burrisnefarney and Corbally, and contains four chapels, all neat buildings, of which the principal is situated at Clonakenny, in this parish. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends at Knockbally Meagher. The parochial schools afford instruction to about 40 boys and 40 girls; and there are also four private pay schools, in which are about 170 children. At Boulebane, Bawnmadrum, and Clonakenny are considerable remains are considerable remains of ancient castles; the first two are situated on an eminence very near each other.
BURGESS OR BURGESS-BEG
a parish, in the barony of Owney and Arra, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 5 1/2 miles S.W. from Nenagh; containing 3570 inhabitants. It is situated on the mail coach road from Dublin to Limerick, and comprises 4749 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 4002 per annum. About 97 acres are mountain and bog; the remainder is good arable land. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe. and forms part of the union of Castletown-Arra: the tithes amount to 276.18. 5 1/2. In the R.C. divisions it is included in the union or district of Youghal-Arra, and contains a modern chapel on the townland of Ballywilliam. There are three private pay schools, in which about 160 boys and 90 girls are taught. Some remains of the church yet exist, with a monument on which is inscribed "Donato O'Brien de Gortmore."
BURRIS-O-KANE or BURROS-O-KEANE
a post-town or parish, in the barony of Lower Ormond, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 12 3/4 miles W. by N. from Rosecrea, and 71 3/4 miles W.S.W. from Dublin; containing 2635 inhabitants. This town is situated on the road from Nenagh to Portumna and Banagher, and of late years has undergone much improvement; many new houses have been built, and others are in contemplation. Fairs are held on the 26th of April, June, and Sept. and Dec. 15th. Petty sessions are held every Saturday; and here is a chief station of the constabulary police. There is a bride-well, comprising two small cells, a day-room and a cell for females, but it is on a confined plan and in a bad situation. The land is principally under an improving system of tillage; there is a considerable extent of bog, in detached portions. In the townland of Tumbricane is a quarry of limestone of superior quality, which is mostly used for tombstones and building. The principal seats are Arran Hill, the property of the Marquess of Ormonde, but in the occupation of T.G. Stoney, Esq.; Greyfort, the property of __ Saunders, Esq.; Killavalla, the seat of R. Johnston Stoney, Esq.; and Bushey Park, of T. Towers, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to 185.2.4 3/4. The church is a plain structure, built by aid of a loan of 500 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1812, and for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted 631.17.2. The glebe-house was built at the same time, by a gift of 400 and a loan of 300 from the Board; the glebe comprises 11 3/4 acres. In the R.C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, which comprises also the parishes of Eglish and Ballingarry, and contains a chapel in each parish; that of Burris-O-Kane, now in course of erection, will be a commodious and handsome building. The parochial schools are aided by the rector; and there are a free school and two schools aided by private subscription. About 140 boys and 90 girls are taught in these schools; and there are two private pay schools, in which are about 30 of each sex. A fever hospital and dispensary are maintained in the usual manner. There are considerable remains of a square tower castle, called Tumbricane, which appears to have been of great strength.
A village, in the parish of Toom, barony of Kilnemanagh, County of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 6 1/2 miles N from Tipperary; containing 695 inhabitants, This place, which has been much improved within the last 40 years, and contains 115 houses, is situated on the new line of road from Tipperary to Nenagh, to the former of which it has a penny post. It is a constabulary police station; fairs are held on June 4th, July 27th, Sept 29th, Nov 16th and Dec 21st; and there are an R.C. chapel and a dispensary. Cappagh House is the residence of Mrs. Fitzmaurice Hunt. Five hundred acres of land near the village were, about seven years since, leased by Col Purefoy to the Mining Company of Ireland, who after incurring some expense in searching for copper, relinquished the enterprise.
Population 629 in 1881 Cappawhite, in the parish of Toom, barony of Kilnamanagh, upper, is 7 miles, Irish, north of Tipperary, and 5 miles west by north from Dundrum, the nearest railway station. The village rises from both sides of a hollow, and is well built. Some years ago it had considerable notoriety as the scene of faction fights, but in late years none have occurred. Some of the land of the district is fair, and some light. Oats and potatoes are the principal crops. A weekly market for butter, etc., was held some time ago, but it declined. Mr. Vere Hunt and the trustees of Thomas Dowling are the landlords. The parish of Toom was famous down to the sixteenth century, for a priory dedicated to St. Donan. It was granted with possessions by Queen Elizabeth to Miles Magrath, Archbishop of Cashel.
a parish, in the barony of Owney and Arra, County of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 8 miles W.N.W. from Nenagh; containing 4110 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Shannon, and on the road from Nenagh to Killaloe; it comprises 6697 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 5110 per annum: about 720 acres are mountain, and the remainder is good arable and pasture land. At Garry-Kennedy are some very extensive slate quarries belonging to the mining company of Ireland, from which great quantities of slate are raised and shipped from a quay which has been constructed there, for which the steam navigation on the Shannon, and the canal, afford every facility. The scenery is strikingly diversified; it includes a large portion of Lough Derg, and the mountains of Clare and Galway. Castlelough, the seat of Anthony Parker, Esq., is finely situated in a richly cultivated demesne of 640 acres, embellished with timber of stately growth and with young and thriving plantations; the deer park is extensive and well-stocked. The other seats within the parish are Lansdowne, the residence of Mrs. Parker, and those of G. Watson and __ Kent, Esqs., at Garry-Kennedy.. A constabulary police force has been stationed here; and fairs, chiefly for cattle, sheep, and pigs, are held at Portroe on March 22nd, May 14th, July 23rd, and Nov. 11th. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Killaloe, episcopally united, in 1781, to the rectories and vicarages of Youghal-Arra and Burgess-Beg, forming the union of Castletown-Arra, in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to 304.12.3 3/4, and the whole benefice to 997...16.11 1/4. The church, of an ancient structure of simple style, is pleasingly situated on the margin of Lough Derg. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of 250 and a loan of 550 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1820. The glebe comprises 3 acres, and there are other glebe-lands in the union, comprising together 4a.3r., making in the whole 7a.3r. The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established church: the chapel is at Portroe. A parochial school, in which about 50 boys and 30 girls are instructed, is supported by the rector; and there is a pay school, in which are about 120 boys and 70 girls. The old castle from which this place derived its name was formerly the residence of the Parkers, but is now in ruins; the demesne skirts the Shannon for a considerable distance, commanding some beautiful and extensive views.
The Civil Survey of 1654 was the result of statutory commitment in England to pay adventurers, and delinquent payments to officers and soldiers. These obligations were to be satisfied by allotment of Irish land, and to determine the extent of existing ownership, Parliament in England ordered an inquiry to determine authentic information from the old inhabitants of Ireland. The order required the determination of value and ownership as if it were 1640. The Civil Survey of Clanwilliam barony, county Tipperary was begun 24 July 1654. Although not all the original survey survives today, county Tipperary does still exist.
Following is a list of the parishes in the county Tipperary portion of Clanwilliam barony as of the 1654 Civil Survey, and the spelling of the parish names at that time.
Briuse or Bruise
Castletown or Castletowne
Clonebigge or Clonebigg
Clonepett or Cloonepett
Cullyn or Cullen
Duneoghill or Dunoghill
Killardriffe or Kylardriffe
Killcornane or Kylcornane
Killfiekill or Kilfeikle
Killshane or Kylshane
Rathleyny or Ratheleyny
Solloghodbegge or Solohodbegge
Solloghodmore or Sollohedmore
Tample Ineyry or Tampleneyry
After the description of the boundaries of Clanwilliam barony, is the following description of the barony (1654):
In the said Barrony are the castles hereunder written The Castle of Cullynn in repayre, The old demolished castle of Kilcornane; The old Castle of Solloghedebegg irrepayreably demolished, The demolished castle of Allevollane, the castle of Knockordin wanting repayre, The broken castle of ballynecourty irrepayreable, The old castle of ballylinty irrepayreably demolished, The demolished castle of Breanshigh The old stumpe of a castle in Keill irrepayreable. The brocken old castle of Buneochill demolished & Irrepayrable, The Castle of Grenan Garrizoned and in repayre. The castle of Swifine in repayre and Garrisoned, the castle of Golden in repayre and Garrisoned, the brocken castle of Cordangen Irrepayreable, The old demolished Castle of Kilfekill, The castle of Laffally wanting repayre, The castle of Grantstowne in repayre, The demolished castle of Banshigh, The demolished castle of Lism'kea. The walls of the Brocken castle of Kappagh Irrepaireable. The demolished castle of Kappagh Irrepaireable. The demolished castle of Thomastowne, The demolished castle of killmoilighir. The demolished castle of Beallacarrin, The Castle of Ballyvaddy. The Castle of Lagganstowne wanting repayre. The demolished castle of Ballygriffin, The castle of Dune Iskeagh wanting repayre, The castle of Ballynehensy demolished. The demolished castle of Bealladrohie.
Wee Estimat yt the sd. Barrony is neere a sixth pt Mountaine the rest of it being good pasture and arable, and somwhat interlaced wth. Woods & good Timber.
There are severall Rivoletts and brookes riseing in & running through this barrony. The River called Aharloe, the River called Multine, The Navigable River of Shewir uppon wch stands the Bridge of Golden, likewise ye wire of ballynahensy the weire of Golding, The weire of the Abby of Atheshell, the weire of Ballyvaddy, the weire of bealladrohid in this Barrony & the weire of bBallygriffin.
In this Barrony are the sevall Parishes following vizt Emly Parish, Bruish Parish, pt of the Parish of Galbally, Shronill pish Latten parish, Cullin Parish, Kilcornane Parish, Part of Tamplebriddane parish, The parish of Solloghodmore, The parish of Solloghodbegg, the parish of Kelmilcon, The Parish of Duneochill. The United pishes of Tamplenoe and Dunagoare, The Pish of Tippary, the parish of Cordange, the parish of Clonepett, the parish of Clonebigg, the parish of Kilshane, the Parish of Curroge, the Parish of Rathlynyn The Parish of Kilfeikle The Parish of Tampleineyry, the Parish of Kilardriffe, The Parish of Clonebolloge, The Parish of Religmurry East Swyer and ballygriffine.
Clonbrick is a rural post office in the parish of Sollohedbeg, barony of Clanwilliam, 5 1/2 miles, Irish, west by north from Tipperary, and 3 miles from Oola, on the Waterford and Limerick Railway, the nearest station. The land of the district is good for pasture. Mr. Valentine Ryan is the principal landlord
CLONEBULLOGE (After the Meares and Bounds)
The sd. Parish lyeth intirely in the Barrony of Clanwilliam all the Tythes great and small of the sd. Parish being Impropriat belonging to James Sall Esqr. By virtue of a lease from the Earle of Ormond. The Tythes great and small of the sd. Parish was worth in 1640 LI 040:00:00.
In the sd. Parish is one acre of Gleabland situated neere the churchyard on the east of the sd. Church lying and being in the halfe colpe of Curraghanna on the lands of Cappagh.
In the sd. Parish stands an old brocken castle Irepayreable.
On the lands of Lismc'hugh in the sd. Parish stands a demolished castle.
The afforesd. Parish contayneth the sevall pts of Colpes heereunder written (vizt.) Lismchugh wth the apptenances three quarters of a colpe Ratheene one sixth pt colpe quarters of a colpe Curraghanea halfe a Colpe Ballingurteene halfe a colpe, Cappagh two thirds of a colpe In all two colpes, one halfe & one sixth pt of a colpe.
Proprietors in 1640, Denominacon lands, Number of plant acres
James Butler of Kilveligher Esqr. & David Bourke of Curraghanea & Theobald Butler of Lisnc'augh Irish Papists, Ballygortine, curraghanea, Raheene & Lismc'Hugh wth. Their apptenances one colpe three & a sixth pt colpe, 724:00:00 acres The sd. James Butler pprietor of the halfe colpe of Ballingurtine and Rathene devided from Curraghanea & Lismc'hugh by noteable meares & bounds in fee by descent from his Ancestors. The sd. David Bourke pprietor of the halfe colpe of Curraghanea devided by its noteable meares & bounds from the above lands & held in fee by Descent from his Ancestors. The sd. Theobald Butler of Lismc'hugh pprietor of the three quarters of a colpe belonging to Lismc'hugh devided by apparent meares & bounds from all other lands next unto it & purchased by the sd. Theobald Butler from Richard Butler of Ardfinane in 1624 (as wee are informed). Uppon ye three quarters of Lismc'hugh stands a demolished castle & the old walls of a house called Grallaghbegg. Upon the lds. Of Curraghanea stands the ruines of an old mill uppon the river Ara.
The Countess of Ormond, Cappagh two third pts of a colpe, 800:00:00 acres The sd. Countess of Ormond pprietrix of Cappagh in fee by descent from hir Ancestors. This land is wast wthout Improvemt.
a borough , market and assize town, and a parish, partly in the barony of Upperthird, county of Waterford, but chiefly in that of Iffa and Offa East, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 23 miles W. by N. from Waterford, and 82 1/2 miles S.W. by S. from Dublin, containign 20,035 inhabitants, of which number, 17,838 are in the town. This place, of which the origin is acsribed to a period prior to the invasion of the Danes, is supposed to have derived its name from Cluain-Meala, signifying in the Irish language the "plain of honey," inallusion either to the character of its situation and the peculiar richness of the soil, or to the valley in which it stands being bounded by picturesque mountains that afford honey of fine flavor. It appears to have been the capital of the palatine liberty, as it now is of the County of Tipperary; and is probably indebted for its early importance to the patronage of the Butler family. According to Archdall, a Dominican friary was founded here in 1269, but by whom is not known; and the same author states that the Franciscan friary was also founded in that year by Otho de Grandison, though the date inscribed upon it is 1265: this friary was reformed in 1536, by the friars of the Strict Observance, and having been surrendered to the crown in 1540, was, with its possessions, three years after, granted in moieties to the sovereign and commonalty of Clonmel and the Earl of Ormonde; its church was esteemedone of the most magnificent exxlesiastical structures in the country. In 1516, the town, which was surrounded with walls and strongly fortified was besieged and taken by the Earl of Kildare; and during the civil war of the 17th century, having been garrisoned for the King by the Marquess of Ormonde, it was attacked by Cromwell in 1650, with his army from Kilkenny, but was bravely defended by High O'Nial, a northern officer, who, with 1200 of his provincial forces, maintained it with such valour that, in the first assault, not less than 2000 of the besieging army were slain and the siege was turned into a blockade. After a resolute defense for two months, the garrison, being without any prospect for obtaining relief, secretly withdrew to Waterford, and the inhabitants surrendered upon honorable terms: the town remained in the possession of the parliamentarians till a short time prior to the Restoration, when it was retaken by the Royalists. At the Revolution, the town, which was held by the partisans of James II, was abandoned on the approach of William's army to besiege Waterford.
It is situated on the banks of the river Suir, in a beautiful and fertile valley bounded by picturesque mountains, and on one of the two main roads from Dublin to Cork, and that from Waterford to Limerick. With the exception of that portion which is built on islands in the river, it is wholly on the northern or Tipperary side of the Suir, and is connected with the Waterford portion by three bridges of stone. The principal street is spacious, and extends from east to west, under different names, for more than a mile in a direction nearly parallel with the river; the total number of houses, in 1831, was 1532. The town is lighted with gas from the works erected, in 1824, by Messrs. Barton and Robinson, of London, who sold them, before they were completed, for about 8000 to the British Gas-Light Company of London, under whom they are now held on lease. The provisions of the act of the 9th of George IV, for lighting and watching towns in Ireland, have been adopted here:the inhabitants are amply supplied with water by public pumps in the various streets. Several newspapers are published, and there are four newsrooms, one of which is a handsome building lately erected at the eastern end of the town, and called the Country Club House. At the eastern entrance into the town are extensive barracks for artillery, cavalry, and infantry; behind them, on an elevated and healthy spot, is a small military hospital, capable of receiving 40 patients.
In 1667, the plan of Sir Peter Pett for introducing the woolen manufacture into Ireland was carried into effect by the Duke of Ormonde, then Lord-Lieutenant; and, in order to provide a sufficient number of workmen, 500 families of the Walloons were invited over from Canterbury to settle here.The manufacture continued to flourish for some time, but at length fell into decay, in consequence of the prohibitory statutes passed by the English parliament soon after the Revolution, and is at present nearly extinct. A factory for weaving cotton has been established by Mr. Malcomson, for which at present affords employment to 150 girls; he has also an extensive cotton-factory at Portlaw, in the county of Waterford. A very extensive trade is carried on in grain and other agricultural produce of the district, principally with the Liverpool and Manchester markets; great quantities of bacon are also cured and sent to London and the channel ports. There are two very large ale and porter breweries in the town; and at Marlfield, about a mile distant, is a distillery for whiskey upon a very extensive scale. The Excise duties collected within the district, in 1835, amounted to 75,520.16. The only mineral production in the neighborhood which forms an article of commerce is slate, of good quality, found at Glenpatrick and worked by the Irish Mining Company. Though not a sea-port, the town, from its situation at the head of the Suir navigation, is the medium through which the corn and provision export trade is carried on between the southern and eastern portions of this large county and England. There are generally about 120 lighters, of from 20-50 tons burden, employed in the trade of this place; and several hundred carriers are engaged during winter on the roads communicating with Clonmel and the principal towns within 40 miles round; a considerable portion of the trade of Waterford also passes through the town.
In the year ending April 30th, 1832, not less than 230,543 cwt. if flour,28,678 barrels of wheat, 19445 barrels of oats, 3878 barrels of barley, 21559 cwt. of butter, 2769 cwt. of lard, and 63,751 flitches of bacon, besides smaller quantities not enumerated, were sent for exportation. The navigation of the Suir was formerly very imperfect: in 1765, a parliamentary grant was obtained to form a towing-path, by which the passage of the boats has been greatly accelerated. The river is still in so many places so shallow that, in dry seasons, the navigation is much impeded. An act has recently been obtained for its improvement; and it is proposed to form a railroad between Carrick, where a basin is intended to be formed, and Limerick, thereby opening a communication between the Suir and the Shannon. There is a salmon fishery in the river, the quays of which are spacious and commodious, extending from the central bridge along the north side. The Bank of Ireland, the Provincial Bank, the Agricultural and Commercial Bank, and the National Bank of Ireland, have branch establishments here. The market days, under the charter of the 6th of James I, are Tuesday and Saturday; and fairs are held on May 5th and Nov. 5th, and also on the first Wednesday of every month (except May and Nov.0, for the sale of cattle, sheep, horses and pigs, and on the preceding day for pigs only. The butter market is a spacious building, provided with suitable offices for the inspector and others; all butter, whether for home consumption or exportation must be weighed and duly entered: there are also convenient shambles and a large potato market. The post is daily; the revenue of which, for 1835, was about 3000. The royal mail and day car establishment, under the direction of its proprietor, Mr. Bianconi (to whose enterprising exertions the south of Ireland is so much indebted for the establishment of public cars), is in this town. A chief constabulary police station has been established here.
The corporation is of great antiquity, and probably exists by prescription.
Numerous charters have at various times been granted since the reign of Edward
I; that under which the borough is now governed was granted in the 6th of James
I (1608), and, under the title of "The Mayor, Bailiffs, Free Burgesses, and
Commonalty of the Town or Borough of Clonmel," ordains that the corporation
shall consist of a mayor, two bailiffs, twenty free burgesses (including the
mayor and bailiffs), and a commonalty, with a recorder, chamberlain, town-clerk,
and other officers. The freedom was formerly obtained by nomination of a burgess
to the common council, a majority of whom decided on the admission; but at
present the rights of birth, extending only to the eldest son, apprenticeship to
a freeman within the borough, and marriage with a freeman's daughter, are
recognized as titles to it. The borough returned two members to the Irish
Parliament till the Union, since which time it has sent one to the Imperial
Parliament. The elective franchise was vested in the freemen at large,
amounting, in the year 1832, to 94 in number; but by the act of the 2nd of
William IV, cap 88, it has been extended to the 10 pound householders: the
number of voters registered at the close of 1835 was 805; the mayor is the
returning officer. The electoral boundary, under the act of the 2nd and 3rd of
William IV, cap 89, is confined to the town, including Long Island on the south
and a space on the north side of the river for buildings contemplated in that
quarter, and comprises an area of 361 statute acres, the limits of which are
minutely described in the Appendix
The jurisdiction of the corporation extends over a large rural district comprising about 4800 statute acres, of which 3800 are in the county of Waterford and 1000 in Tipperary: the mayor and recorder are justices of the peace. The Tholsel court, for determining pleas to any amount within the town and liberties, in which the cause of action must arise or the defendant reside, is held every Wednesday, before the mayor and bailiffs. The mayor's court. in which he presides, is held every Wednesday, for the recovery of debts not exceeding 10s, late currency; and the mayor and bailiffs hold a court leet twice in the year. Petty sessions are held every alternate Friday. The elections for parliamentary representatives, and the assizes and quarter sessions for the county of Tipperary are held here, the last in April and October. The old court-house, which was built after a design by Sir Christopher Wren, was some years since converted into shops; the new court-house is a light and handsome structure. The county goal is a large stone building; but prior to the erection of the house of correction, which was completed in the year 1834, it was too small for the number of prisoners generally confined in it; it is now adapted to their classification, contains schools for both sexes and a tread-mill, which is applied to the raising of water for the supply of the prison.
The parish extends beyond the Suir a considerable distance into the county of Waterford, and comprises 8907 statute acres, of which 5922 are applotted under the tithe act. The principal seats are Knocklofty, that of the Earl of Donoughmore; Kilmanahan Castle, of Lieut.-Col. Nutall Greene; Marlfield, of J. Bagwell, Esq.; Barn, of S. Moore, Esq.; Woodrooff, of W. Perry, Esq.; Rathronan, of Major-Gen. Sir H. Gough, K.C.B.; Kiltinane Castle, of R. Cooke, Esq.; Darling Hill, of the Hon. Baron Pennefather; and Newtown-Anner, of Lady Osborne; there are also many other handsome residences. The views from the demesnes of Knocklofty and Kilmanahan Castle abound with interest and variety, and are not surpassed by any in this part of the country. At Kiltinane Castle a very rapid stream issuing from a rock forms a remarkable natural curiosity. The living is an entire rectory, in the diocese of Lismore, and in the gift of the Corporation: the tithes amount to 300. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of 100 and a loan of 650 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1810; the glebe, dispersed in small parcels in the town and suburbs, comprises 2a. 1r. 2p. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a handsome octangular embattled tower, 84 feet high, at the eastern extremity of the south side; it was formerly a good specimen of the early english style of architecture, but on its repair, in 1805, it was modernized and retains but little of its original character; a grant of 1019.12. was made by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for its repair. In the chancel is a beautiful monument, by Taylor of York, to the memory of Mary, wife of J. Bagwell, Esq., and recording also the death of that gentlemen and his eldest son, the late Rt. Hon. William Bagwell, uncle of the present proprietor of Marlfield. There is also a monument erected by the parishioners, in the year 1795, as a tribute of respect to the memory of Dr. J. Moore, who was rector of this parish for 66 years.In the porch are slabs with inscriptions and armorial bearings of the noble family of Hutchinson, Lord Donoughmore, and in one of the shields are impaled the arms of Moore, of Barn. The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Establish Church, and is the benefice of the vicar-general of the united diocese of Waterford and Lismore, and contains two chapels, one in Irishtown, and the other a neat and modern building in Johnston-street; also a Franciscan friary in Warren-street, lately rebuilt, and a Presentation convent situated beyond the western bridge. There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Munster, the Society of Friends, Baptists, Unitarians, and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The grammar school was founded in 1685, by R. and S. Moore, Esqs., ancestors of the Mount-Cashel family, who endowed it with the lands of Lissenure and Clonbough, in the county of Tipperary, producing a rental of 369, for the gratuitous instruction of the sons of freemen in Latin. The old schoolhouse having fallen into decay, a large and substantial building has been erected within the last few years at the western extremity of the town, on a site granted at nominal rent by the late Col. Bagwell, and at an expense of nearly 5000, of which 4000 was advanced out of the consolidated fund, for the repayment of which 240 per annum is appropriated from the proceeds of the endowment: there are at present, including boarders, about 90 boys in the school. A parochial school for boys is partly supported by a joint bequest from Dr. Ladyman and Mrs. Pomeroy, amounting to 7 per annum, late currency, and 2 per annum from the rector; and there are a parochial school for girls and an infants' school, both supported by voluntary contributions: a handsome and commodious building has lately been erected for these schools, containing three school-rooms, each capable of accommodating 100 scholars. Two schools for girls are superintended by two ladies, who teach the children gratuitously: a school for boys is supported by collections at the R.C. chapels, which are partly appropriated in paying the master's salary, and partly in providing clothing for the children; and there are Sunday schools in connection with the Established Church and the Presbyterian and Methodists' congregations. The number of children in attendance daily is, on an average, 580; and in the private pay schools are about 650 children.
The fever hospital and dispensary adjacent to it, both handsome and commodious buildings on the north side of the town, are liberally supported. The house of industry for the county of Tipperary, for the reception and support of 50 male and 50 female aged and infirm poor persons of good character, and for the restraint of male and female vagrants, is an extensive building in an airy situation at the foot of the western bridge, opened in 1811: it is supported by grand jury presentments, and is under the government of a corporation by act of parliament; it has a department for orphan children, who, when of proper age, are apprenticed to different trades; the receipts last year were 1543.5.5, and the expenditure 1335.16. A district lunatic asylum for the county of Tipperary was opened in 1835; the building is capable of accommodating 60 patients, and was erected at an expense, including the purchase of the land, furniture, etc. of 16,588. A savings bank has been established; and there are also a mendicity society and a clothing society; the latter established in 1833. A society has lately been formed for the maintenance and education of the orphan children of protestant parents, and within the first year, 33 were so provided for. Several charitable bequests to a considerable amount have been left to the parish by different individuals. Of the town walls, which encompassed only what is now the central part of the town, on the northern bank of the river, there are only very imperfect remains; the entrance was by four principal gates, of which only the west gate, which has been lately very substantially repaired and forms an ornament to the town, is now standing; and of the various towers by which they were defended, there are three remaining near the churchyard. Near the western end of the town are the ruins of the church of St. Stephen, and in the southern suburb are those of the church of St. Nicholas. Some trifling remains of the ancient castle may still be traced in what is now the office of the Tipperary Free Press. In the neighborhood are the ruins of several castles, and traces of encampments or Danish forts; at Gurteen is a cairn or druid's altar; and near Oakland is a holy well, called St. Patrick's well; also the ruins of an ancient chapel, in which are several large stones bearing inscriptions. About half a mile to the south-east is a chalybeate spring, resorted to medicinally; and near the south suburb is another of similar kind, but not much used. The Rev. Laurence Sterne was born here in 1713; and Bonaventura Baro, or Baron, who wrote numerous works during a long residence at Rome, where he died in 1696, was also born here. Clonmel gives the titles of Earl and Viscount to the family of Scott; the father of the present Earl was the Rt. Hon. John Scott, the celebrated chief justice of the King's Bench in Ireland, who was created Baron Earlsfort in 1784, and was advanced to the Viscounty of Clonmel in 1789, and to the Earldom in 1793.
a parish, in the barony of Kilmanagh, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, near the river Suir, 6 miles N.N.W. from Cashel, on the high road from Tipperary to Thurles; containing 3600 inhabitants, and comprising 9720 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; about 80 acres are underwood, 480 bog, and the remainder are good arable and pasture land; the substratum is limestone. The gentlemen's seats are Cappamorrough, the residence of J. Green, Esq. and Woodford, of J. Murphy, Esq. Fairs are held on July 5th and Nov. 12th, and petty sessions every alternate week. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the tithes amount to 461.10. 9 1.4. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of 150 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1789; the glebe comprises 15a.Or 22p. The church is in bad repair, and application has been made to the Commissioners for the erection of another. In the R.C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Clonoulty and Clogher, in the former of which are two chapels, situated respectively at Clonoulty and Rossmore. The parochial schools are supported by the incumbent; there is a school for R.C. children, for which a house was built at Clonoulty, at an expense of 114, by Mr. W. Reilly, of Cashel, who also contributes 10 pounds per annum towards its support, and a school at Rossmore; about 230 children are instructed; and there is also a pay school, in which are about 30 children.
Population 242 in 1881 Cullen in the parish of same name, barony of Clanwilliam, is 5 miles, Irish, west by north from Tipperary. Oola, County Limerick, is the nearest railway station. It once had a market and two cattle fairs. Now a pig fair only is held. From 1749 a great many gold objects were found in the bog of Cullen. The land of the district is good for dairying.
Donohill, in the parish of same name, consists of half a dozen houses, 4 miles, Irish, north by east from Tipperary. It is a good grazing district. Within view of the post-office, on the farm of Mr. Jerh. Horan, there is a curious conical moat of considerable height with the fragment of a building near the top. It is attributed to the Danes.
Population 348 in 1881 Emly in the parish of same name, barony of Clanwilliam, is 7 miles, Irish, west of Tipperary, by road, and 9 1/2 miles, English, by rail, via Limerick Junction. The railway station is one mile, English, from the village. It is a good butter-making county. In 1888 a weekly market on Wednesday, was established, and is usually well supplied with butter. There are also good fairs held here. For dates see index. Several of the tenants of the neighborhood have become owners under Lord Ashbourne's Act. A handsome Catholic church, the building of which was begun in 1880, is one of the features. Down to 1889 about L12,000 had been expended upon it.
The original name of the parish was Imleac, signifying land verging on a lake. A lake of about 200 acres existed here until 1718. It was drained by Robert Ryves, tenant of Archbishop Palliser. Ancient Emly was an important place and the seat of a diocese. The cathedral occupied an elevated spot on the verge of the lake, but there are no remains of it. Union of the see with that of Cashel was effected in 1568. St. Ailbe founded an abbey for canons regular at Emly in the fifth century. Some of the bishops of Emly before the English connection, became Archbishops of Cashel and Kings of Munster, when the dignities were united.
Beginning in 846 the Danes frequently plundered Emly and its abbey. In 847 Olchobhair King of Munster, aided by forces headed by the son of the King of Leinster, killed 1,200 Danes, who had participated in the plunder of the abbey at Emly in 846.
This is a border village in the County Limerick, 8 miles, Irish, from Tipperary. Remains of Moor Abbey, on the farm of Mr. James Quirke, are situated in the vicinity, at the Tipperary side. The farmers and residents named in the following list receive letters from the Galbally Post Office, and should be addressed Galbally, Tipperary.
Glenbane is a rural post office in the parish of same name, 5 miles, Irish, west by north from Tipperary. The land of the district is good for dairying.
Hollyford is a village of 10 houses on the Anglesea line between Tipperary and Nenagh, 10 miles, Irish, north of the former, and 12 miles south by east of the latter. The land of the district is hilly, and much of it is not good. A small stream running through is well stocked with brown trout.
Kilcommon is a village of twenty houses, in the parish of Templebeg, 16 miles north from Tipperary, and 10 miles south by east from Nenagh, the nearest railway station. The district is hilly, but good for pasture. During the season, May to December, a butter market is held every Monday. More than half the houses are thatched. A river running through the parish is very good for brown trout.
KILLARDRIFFE (After the Meares and Bounds)
The sd. Parish lyeth in the Barrony of Clanwilliam the tythes thereof being Impropriat was conferred many yeares sithence upon the Earl of Ormond by Pattent from the Crowne as wee are informed.
The Tythes great and small of the sd. Parish was worth in 1640 LI20:00:00.
In the sd. Parish there are twenty plantn acres of Gleabland being wast belonging to the Viccarage & valued in 1640 LI02:00:00.
A third pt of the sd. Parish is unpfitable barren mountaine.
On the colpe of Bealladrehid being of this parish in Cappagh and Cloneleske stands three hundred plantn. Acres of timberwood. The rest of the sd. Parish is pfitable (vizt.) Arable meddowes & good pasture.
The sd. lands stands within a mile to the river Shewir & wthin two miles at furthest to Cahir Castle.
In the sd. Parish are the Castles hereafter following (vizt.) the old brocken Castle of Bealladrohid and the Demolished Castle of Kilveligher.
The number of Colpes contained in the sd Parish are the colpe of Bealladrohid, Killmooligher, Knockballymorish, and both Drungans, one colpe Toureene and Culeroe halfe a Colpe, Clonelesk one quarter colpe a third pt of the colpe of Cappagh, Scart one quarter colpe and Clonefinglass one third pt colpe. All this parish is wast.
Proprietors in 1640, Denominacon lands, Number of plant acres
James oge Butler of Kilveligher Esq Irish Papist, Killveligher one quarter of a colpe, 250:00:00 acres The sd. James Butler pprietor thereof in fee by descent from his Ancestors. On the sd. lands stands a demolished burnt castle adjoining to the River Shewir wanting repayre wth. Some thatcht houses and noe othe improvemt.
James oge Butler Esqr Irish Papist, Killmoligherbegg one quarter colpe, 250:00:00 acres The sd. James Butler pprietor thereof in fee having purchased the same in 1639 from Theobald Bourke and Edmond Bourke as wee are informed. The sd. land is wast wthout Improvemt.
James oge Butler Esqr Irish Papist, Drangan & Knockballymorish halfe a colpe, 500:00:00 acres The sd James Butler pprietor thereof in fee by Descent from his Ancestors. The sd. land is wast wthout Improvemt.
Richard Butler of Ballynakill Esqr Irish Papist, Dranganbegg one quarter colpe, 250:00:00 acres The sd Richard Butler pprietor in fee by Descent from his Nephew & leased to William Magher. There is on the sd. lands a thatch house and an orchard, noe other Improvemt.
Piers Butler of Shanballyduffe & John Bourk of Towereene Irish Papist, Couleroe & Towereene halfe a colpe, 500:00:00 acres The sd. Piers Butler and John Bourke pprietors in fee by descent from their Ancestors whereof ye sd. John is pprietor of halfe a qrter & the sd. Piers pprietor of one quarter & halfe. This land is totally wast.
The Countess of Ormond, Cappagh one colpe, 460:00:00 acres The sd. Countess of Ormond pprietrix thereof in fee by Descent from hir Ancestors. On the sd. lands stands a Mill on repayred and the River Ahirlagh runns through the same Eastwards, and the River Arra Southwards, and ther falls into the river Ahirlagh.
Richard Butler of Ballynakill Esqr Irish Papist, Clonelesk one qrter Colpe, 250:00:00 acres The sd. Richard Butler pprietor of the sd. lands in fee by Descent from his nephew. On this land is tenn acres of timberwood. And the land altogether wast.
John Bourke of Scart Gent Irish Papist, Scartmc. Ivile one quarter colpe, 250:00:00 acres The sd John Bourke pprietor thereof in fee by Descent from his Ancestrs. On the sd. lands stands som cabbins and an Orchard.
Edward Butler of Widdingstowne Esqr Irish Papist, Clonefinglasse one quarter colpe, 250:00:00 acres The sd. Edward Butler pprietor thereof in fee by vertue of an exchange made by him with the Lord Barron of Duneboyne (as wee are informed) and to the same the Arch Bishopp of Cashell obtayned some title. This land is wast without Improvemt.
a parish, in the barony of Clanwilliam, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 4 miles N.W. from Cahir, on the road from that place to Tipperary; containing with the chapelry of Clonfinglass, 1901 inhabitants. It comprises 5714 statute acres. as applotted under the Title Act, and values at 3693 per annum; and there are about 650 acres in Clonfinglass, about 1500 acres of mountain land, and a considerable quantity of bog; the land is generally good and well cultivated, and there is plenty of limestone and good building stone. The rivers Arra and Aherlow run through the parish, the latter of which joins the Suir at Ballydruid. Here is a constabulary police station. The principal seats are Kilmoyler, the residence of S. O'MEAGHER, Esq.;Toureen of D. O'MEAGHER; Ballydruid of Mrs. DOHERTY; Kilmoylermore, of the late Constantine MAGUIRE, Esq.; Cluin, of _ SLATTERY, Esq.; and Bansha House, of R. CLARKE, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, forming the core of the prebend of Killaldry, or Killaldriff, in the cathedral of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the tithes amount to 270, and there is a glebe of 16a, 2r, 12p. In the R.C. divisions is part of the union or district of Galbally, and has a neat chapel. About 140 children are educated in the two private schools, the school-house for one of which was given by the late C. MAGUIRE, Esq. There are some remains of old castles at Cappagh and Kilmoylermore; the ruin of a small church or chapel at Clonfinglass; and the remains of an old church at Killaldriff.
Kilross is a village of twelve houses, in the parish of Clonbeg, barony of Clanwilliam, 4 3/4 miles, Irish, west by south from Tipperary. Emly, 4 miles, is the nearest railway station. Count Moore is the landlord. The land of the district is good for pasture.
a parish, partly in the barony of Upperthird, county of Waterford, but chiefly in that of Iffa and Offa East, County of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 5 miles W.N.W. from Carrick-on-Suir, on the road from Clonmel to Waterford; containing 1531 inhabitants, of which number, 283 are in the county of Waterford. The village comprises 57 houses and 290 inhabitants, and is a constabulary police station. Here is a bridge over the river Suir. The principal seats are Newtown Anner, the residence of Lady Osborne; Landscape, of _ Congreve, Esq.; and Gurteen, of E. Power, Esq., of which only the stables are yet built. Adjoining the magnificent woods of the demesne, which contains a cromlech, is a large ravine composed of strata of red sandstone, white silicious sandstone, and soft slatey rock, which decomposes into a pure yellow ochreous earth. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Lismore, united to the rectory of Kilmurry, and in the gift of the Marquess of Ormonde, in whom the rectory is impropriate. The tithes amount to 380.11.11, of which 250.7.2 is payable to the vicar, and the remainder to the improprietor; the tithes of the benefice amount to 754.19.1. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Kilgrant or Riverstown, and contains a chapel. About 80 children are educated in two schools, one of which is principally supported by Lady Osborne. The late W. Power, Esq., of Ballydino, left 30 acres of land and 5,000 pounds for the establishment of an almshouse, which is not yet finished. Here are some remains of the ancient church and of a castle, also a large moat.
Cromlech=A circle of monoliths usually enclosing a dolmen or mound.
Dolmen= A monument consisting of several megaliths arranged so as to form a chamber, usually regarded as a tomb.
Megalith= One of the huge stones or boulders used in various types of prehistoric monuments
Impropriate=Monastic property transferred to lay ownership.
desmesne=Possession of land as one's own; An estate or land of which the owner is in possession now.
Lattin is a village of about twenty houses, in the parish of same name, barony of Clanwilliam, 4 miles, Irish, west by south from Tipperary. Oola on the Waterford and Limerich, and Emly on the Great S. & W. Railway are each 3 miles distant. It is a good butter making district.
LIMERICK JUNCTION, Tipperary
Limerick Junction is 3 miles, English, by rail north by west from Tipperary, 27 1/2 miles north-west from Clonmel, 21 3/4 miles south-east from Limerick, 107 miles from Dublin, and 58 1/2 miles from Cork. It is the junction of the Great Southern and Western and the Waterford and Limerick Railways. The country surrounding it is excellent for pasture.
LISTNAVILLA or TEMPLENOE
a parish, in the barony of Clanwilliam, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 3 miles N.E. from Tipperary, on the road to Cashel, containing 1089 inhabitants. It comprises 3037 statute acres, as apploted under the Tithe Act, and valued at 3548 per annum, consisting chiefly of rich grazing land. The principal seats are Greenane, the residence of R. Southcote Mansergh, Esq.; Friarsfield Cottage of Capt. Robert Mansergh; and Newtown Cottage, of Jonathon C. Mansergh, Esq. It is a rectory and village, in the diocese of Cashel, forming part of the union of Tipperary; the tithes amount to 184.12.3 1/2. The glebe-house of the union is in this parish. About 120 children are educated in two private schools.
Milestone is a rural post-office, in the barony of Kilnamanagh, upper, parish of Upperchurch, 14 miles, Irish, north by east from Tipperary, and 9 miles from Dundrum, the nearest railway station. The land of the district is good for pasture.
Monard is a village of 11 houses and a Protestant Church, in the barony of Clanwilliam, about 3 1/2 miles, Irish, rorth by west from Tipperary. It is surrounded by good pasture land.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids