Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Chadville
Parish of Donohill


Chalkhill
Parish of Templederry


Chamberlainstown
Parish of Outeragh


Chancellorsland
Parish of Emly


Chancellorstown Lower
Parish of Newchapel


Chancellorstown Upper
Parish of Newchapel


Chantersland
Parish of Emly


Cheesemount
Parish of Garrangibbon


Churchfield
Parish of Donohill


Churchquarter
Parish of Templebeg


CLANWILLIAM Barony
consists of
- Ballygriffin - - Bruis - - Clonbeg - - Clonbullogue - - Clonoulty - - Clonpet - - Cordangan - - Corroge - - Cullen - - Dangandargan - - Donohill - - Emly - - Glenbane - - Kilcornan - - Kilfeakle - - Killardry - - Kilmucklin - - Kilshane - - Lattin - - Oughterleague - - Rathlynin - - Relickmurry & Athassel - - Shronell - - Solloghod-beg - - Solloghod-more - - Templebredon - - Templeneiry - - Templenoe - - Tipperary - - Toem -


CLANWILLIAM BARONY
1654

The Civil Survey of 1654 was the result of statutory commitment in England to pay adventurers, and delinquent payments to officers and soldiers. These obligations were to be satisfied by allotment of Irish land, and to determine the extent of existing ownership, Parliament in England ordered an inquiry to determine authentic information from the old inhabitants of Ireland. The order required the determination of value and ownership as if it were 1640. The Civil Survey of Clanwilliam barony, county Tipperary was begun 24 July 1654. Although not all the original survey survives today, county Tipperary does still exist.
Following is a list of the parishes in the county Tipperary portion of Clanwilliam barony as of the 1654 Civil Survey, and the spelling of the parish names at that time.
Briuse or Bruise
Castletown or Castletowne
Clonebigge or Clonebigg
Clonebulloge
Clonepett or Cloonepett
Cordangen
Cullyn or Cullen
Curroge
Dunagore
Duneoghill or Dunoghill
Emly
Killardriffe or Kylardriffe
Killcornane or Kylcornane
Killfiekill or Kilfeikle
Killmilcon
Killshane or Kylshane
Latten
Rathleyny or Ratheleyny
Religmurry
Solloghodbegge or Solohodbegge
Solloghodmore or Sollohedmore
Sronill
Tample Ibridane
Tample Ineyry or Tampleneyry
Tamplenoe
Tipperary
After the description of the boundaries of Clanwilliam barony, is the following description of the barony (1654):
In the said Barrony are the castles hereunder written The Castle of Cullynn in repayre, The old demolished castle of Kilcornane; The old Castle of Solloghedebegg irrepayreably demolished, The demolished castle of Allevollane, the castle of Knockordin wanting repayre, The broken castle of ballynecourty irrepayreable, The old castle of ballylinty irrepayreably demolished, The demolished castle of Breanshigh The old stumpe of a castle in Keill irrepayreable. The brocken old castle of Buneochill demolished & Irrepayrable, The Castle of Grenan Garrizoned and in repayre. The castle of Swifine in repayre and Garrisoned, the castle of Golden in repayre and Garrisoned, the brocken castle of Cordangen Irrepayreable, The old demolished Castle of Kilfekill, The castle of Laffally wanting repayre, The castle of Grantstowne in repayre, The demolished castle of Banshigh, The demolished castle of Lism'kea. The walls of the Brocken castle of Kappagh Irrepaireable. The demolished castle of Kappagh Irrepaireable. The demolished castle of Thomastowne, The demolished castle of killmoilighir. The demolished castle of Beallacarrin, The Castle of Ballyvaddy. The Castle of Lagganstowne wanting repayre. The demolished castle of Ballygriffin, The castle of Dune Iskeagh wanting repayre, The castle of Ballynehensy demolished. The demolished castle of Bealladrohie.
Wee Estimat yt the sd. Barrony is neere a sixth pt Mountaine the rest of it being good pasture and arable, and somwhat interlaced wth. Woods & good Timber.
There are severall Rivoletts and brookes riseing in & running through this barrony. The River called Aharloe, the River called Multine, The Navigable River of Shewir uppon wch stands the Bridge of Golden, likewise ye wire of ballynahensy the weire of Golding, The weire of the Abby of Atheshell, the weire of Ballyvaddy, the weire of bealladrohid in this Barrony & the weire of bBallygriffin.
In this Barrony are the sevall Parishes following vizt Emly Parish, Bruish Parish, pt of the Parish of Galbally, Shronill pish Latten parish, Cullin Parish, Kilcornane Parish, Part of Tamplebriddane parish, The parish of Solloghodmore, The parish of Solloghodbegg, the parish of Kelmilcon, The Parish of Duneochill. The United pishes of Tamplenoe and Dunagoare, The Pish of Tippary, the parish of Cordange, the parish of Clonepett, the parish of Clonebigg, the parish of Kilshane, the Parish of Curroge, the Parish of Rathlynyn The Parish of Kilfeikle The Parish of Tampleineyry, the Parish of Kilardriffe, The Parish of Clonebolloge, The Parish of Religmurry East Swyer and ballygriffine.


Clare Beg
Parish of Kiltinan


Clare More
Parish of Kiltinan


Clareen
Parish of Ardmayle


Clarkill
Parish of Uskane


Clash
Parish of Ballymackey


Clashabreeda
Parish of Youghalarra


Clashalaher
Parish of St. Patricksrock


Clashaniska Upper
Parish of Rathronan


Clashaniskera
Parish of Modreeny


Clashateeaun
Parish of Ardcrony


Clashavaddra
Parish of Inishlounaght


Clashavickteery
Parish of Kilshane


Clashbeg
Parish of Modeshil


Clashdrumsmith
Parish of Emly


Clashduff
Parish of Ballingarry


Clashganny East
Parish of Newcastle


Clashganny West
Parish of Newcastle


Clashnacrony
Parish of Donohill


Clashnagraun
Parish of Kilruane


Clashnasmut
Parish of Newtownlennan


Clashnevin
Parish of Ballymackey


Clashoquirk
Parish of Templeneiry


Clear's Land
Parish of Rathronan


Clear's-Land
Parish of Rathronan


Cleghile
Parish of Kilshane


Clehill
Parish of Inch


Clerihan
South Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: Clerihan RC parish starts 1852


CLERIHAN
Clerihan 1837

a village, in the parish of Newchapel, barony of Iffa and Offa East, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 4 miles N.W. from Clonmel; containing 230 inhabitants. This place is situated on the road from Clonmel to Cashel, and contains 37 houses; it has a fair on Sept. 30th, and is a constabulary police station. There is a neat R.C. chapel in the village - See Newchapel


Clerihan RC Parish
consists of
civil parishes of Ballyclerahan,Colman,Newchapel
records start in 1852


Clerkstown
Parish of Lattin


Clermont
Parish of Kilruane


Clobanna
Parish of Shyane


Clocully
Parish of Neddans


CLO....see also CLOU
They are mixed up alphabetical here because they are spelt both ways often


Cloghabreedy
Parish of Knockgraffon


Cloghanacody
Parish of Ardfinnan


Cloghane
Parish of Holycross


Cloghapistole
Parish of Newtownlennan


Clogharailybeg
Parish of Loughmoe East


Clogharailymore
Parish of Loughmoe East


Cloghaready
Parish of Templebredon


Cloghateana
Parish of Magowry


Cloghcarrigeen West
Parish of Kilsheelan


Clogheen Market
Parish of Shanrahan


Clogheen 
Link to Website

 


Clogheen Town
Parish of Shanrahan


Clogheen Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 21 GV#: 54
consists of RC parishes: Drangan RC parish starts 1811


Clogheen Poor law union
consists of - Ardfinnan - Ballybacon - Caher - Derrygrath - Inishlounaght - Molough - Mortlestown - Neddans - Newcastle - Rochestown - Shanrahan - Templetenny - Tubbrid - Tullaghmelan - Tullaghorton - Whitechurch


Clogheen
South Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: Clogheen RC parish starts 1778

http://www.waterfordlismore.com/parish.php?parish=17


CLOGHEEN
Clogheen 1837

a market and post-town, partly in the parish of Tullaghorton, but chiefly in that of Shanrahan, barony of Iffa and Offa West, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 11 1/2 miles S.W. from Clonmel and 94 S.W. by S. from Dublin; containing 1928 inhabitants. This place is situated on the river Tar, and on the mail coach road from Clonmel to Cork, near the foot of the steep northern ascent of the mountain of Knockmeladown. A large trade in agricultural produce is carried on, chiefly for exportation, and more than 80,000 barrels of wheat are annually purchased in its market and in the neighborhood, which is made into flour of very superior quality and sent by land to Clonmel, whence it is conveyed down the Suir. for this purpose there are seven flour-mills in the town and neighborhood, which are worked by fourteen water-wheels; there is also an extensive brewery. A new road has lately been made from Clogheen to Lismore, with a branch to Cappoquin, the greatest rise on which is one in 30 feet. The neighboring mountains abound with iron-stone, and iron ore was formerly smelted here. At Castle-Grace, near the town, a lead mine was worked about 40 years since, the ore of which contained a large proportion of silver. The environs abound with varied scenery. In the immediate vicinity is Bay loch, about three quarters of a mile in circumference, and its depth in the center is about 33 yards; a mountain rises over it with nearly a perpendicular ascent to an elevation of about 600 feet, and eagles are sometimes seen hovering over the lake. On the north side of Knockshannacoolen, Lord Lismore planted about 100 acres of trees, which thrive well and form a pleasing contrast with the riggedness of the neighboring mountains. Shanbally Castle, the splendid seat of his Lordship, is about 2 1/2 miles from the town. The market is on Saturday; and fairs are held on Whit-Monday, Aug. 1st, Oct. 28th, and Dec. 12th. The market-house is a commodious building. At the entrance of the town are barracks for the accommodation of two troops of cavalry. A constabulary police force has been stationed here; a manor court is held before the seneschal of the manor of Everard's castle, in which the town is included, for the recovery of debts not exceeding 10 pounds; and petty sessions are held on alternate Thursdays. There is a small bridewell, comprising four cells, two day-rooms, and two airing-yards; also a dispensary and fever hospital. At a short distance from the church are the ruins of the parish church of Sharahan, near which are the remains of St. Mary's abbey; and on the summit of Knockmeladown were interred the remains of Henry Ecles, who published many papers on electricity. Adjoining the town are Cooleville, the residence of S. Grubb, Esq., and Claishleigh, of S. Grubb, Esq. A few miles distant, at Skiheenarinky, on the estate of the Earl of Kingston, is a very remarkable cavern in the limestone strata. The entrance is by a descent of 15 or 20 feet, in a narrow cleft of the rock, into a vault 100 feet in length and 60 or 70 feet high; a winding passage on the left leads for about half a mile through a variety of chasms, some of which are so extensive that, when lighted up, they have the appearance of a vaulted cathedral supported by massive columns; the walls, ceiling and pillars often presenting highly fantastic forms, and are incrusted with spar of great brilliancy. The stalactites in some places form entire columns, and in others have the appearance of drapery hanging from the ceiling in graceful forms; the angles between the walls appear as if fringed with icicles, and in one part of the caverns is a deep pool of water, the passage of which has not been yet explored. About a quarter of a mile to the east of this cavern is the entrance to another that was discovered in 1833. -See Sharahan and Tullaghorton.


Clogheen RC Parish
consists of civil parishes of Shanrahan
records start in 1778


Clogher
Parish of Clogher


CLOGHER
Clougher 1837

a parish, in the barony of Kilnemanagh, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 6 miles S.W. from Thurles; containing, with the parish of Rathkenan, 2062 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the high road from Tipperary to Thurles, and comprises 6997 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 4935 per annum. About one-half is good arable and pasture land, and the remainder, with the exception of a small portion of underwood, is mostly mountainous, with some bog. the living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, united at a period unknown to the vicarages of Inshyanly and Dovea, and the rectory and vicarage of Moycarkey, together forming the corps of the chancellorship of Cashel, in the patronage of the Archbishop; the rectory is impropriate in W. Moore, Esq. The tithes amount to 276.18.5 1/2. of which two-thirds are payable to the improprietor, and the remainder to the incumbent; and the amount of tithes for the union, payable to the chancellor, is 452.6.1 3/4. There is neither church nor glebe-house; the protestent parishioners attend the church of Clonoulty; those of Inshyanly, the churches of Thurles and Templemore; and those of Moycarkey, that of Holy Cross. The glebe comprises 27 acres. In the R.C. divisions, the parish forms part of the union or district of Clonoulty. There is a pay school, in which are about 140 children.


Clogher Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 18 GV#: 1
consists of RC parishes: Clonoulty RC parish starts 1804


Clogher
consists of
Brockagh; Clogher; Clonely; Clonyharp; Cloonyross; Derrymore; Drumwood; Fana; Garranmore; Gatterstown; Gortaculrush; Kilcroe; Knockaderry; Laffina; Marlow; Milltown; Turraheen Lr.; Turraheen Up.


Cloghernagh
Parish of Templeneiry


Cloghinch
Parish of Glenkeen


Cloghjordan Town
Parish of Modreen


Cloughjordan
South Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: Cloughjordan RC parish starts 1833


CLOUGHJORDAN
Cloughjordan RC Parish
consists of civil parishes of Ardcroney,Kilruane,Modreeny
records start in 1833


Cloghjordanpark
Parish of Modreeny


Cloghkeating
Parish of Modreeny


Cloghleigh
Parish of Aglishcloghane


Cloghmartin
Parish of Fertiana


Cloghoge
Parish of Fertiana


Cloghonan
Parish of Templederry


Cloghprior
Parish of Cloghprior


Cloghprior Civil Parish
North Tipperary NGA#: 18 GV#: 12
consists of RC parishes: Cloughprior & Monsea RC parish starts 1834


Cloghprior
consists of
Ashleypark; Bunnadober; Carneybeg; Carneybrack; Carneycastle; Carneywoodlands; Cloghprior; Cloneyharp; Drummond; Frolick; Garranacleary; Knockanacartan; Parkboy; Priorpark; Prospect East; Prospect West; Rahone; Shanavally; Springmount; Woodpark


CLOUGHPRIOR
Cloughprior 1837

a parish, in the barony of Lower Ormond, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 4 miles S.W. from Burrisokane; containing 1452 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the river Shannon, and on the high road from Nenagh to Burrisokane, and comprises 3532 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 3083 per annum. About 480 acres are common; there is a very small portion of bog, and of the remainder, by far the greater portion is arable and under tillage; the soil is light and rests on a substratum of limestone. The gentlemen's seats are Ashley Park, the residence of G. Atkinson, Esq., and Prior Park, of W. Waller, Esq., both richly planted demesnes; East prospect, of J. S. Handcock, Esq.; and Carney Castle, of A. French, Esq. The last is a handsome modern house on part of the site of the ancient castle, now in ruins, and formerly for many years the residence of the Grace family; it was attacked by Cromwell, and becoming forfeited, was repurchased by the same family, and had descended by inheritance to its present proprietor, The parish is in the diocese of Killaloe, and is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the union of Finnoe: the tithes amount to 212.6.2. In the R.C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Cloghjordan. There is a pay school, in which are about 80 boys and 40 girls. There are some slight remains of a religious foundation, probably of a priory, from which the parish may have taken its name, but no record of it is extant


Cloghprior & Monsea RC Parish
consists of civil parishes of Cloghprior Dromineer,Killodiernan,Knigh,Monsea
records start in 1834


Cloghprior & Monsea
South Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: Cloghprior & Monsea RC parish starts 1834


Clogleigh
Parish of Relickmurry and Athassel


Clohaskin
Parish of Loughkeen


Cloheenafishoge
Parish of Tubbrid


Clonacody
Parish of Baptistgrange


Clonagoose
Parish of Kilvemnon


Clonakenny
Parish of Bourney


Clonalea
Parish of Ballymackey


Clonalough
Parish of Killoscully


Clonamicklon
Parish of Buolick


Clonamuckogebeg
Parish of Loughmoe East


Clonamuckogemore
Parish of Loughmoe East


Clonaspoe
Parish of Oughterleague


Clonbealy
Parish of Kilvellane


Clonbeg
Parish of Inch


Clonbeg
consists of
Ballycrana; Ballycrehane; Ballynacourty; Ballywire; Corderry; Drumleagh; Glencoshabinnia; Gortaclivore; Gortavoher East; Gortavoher West; Gortnafurra; Kilross; Knockballymaloogh; Lisvarrinane; Lyre; Mackanagh Lower; Mackanagh Upper; Moanour; Moneynaboola; Moorabbey; Rossbog; Stonepark


Clonbeg Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 19 GV#: 33
consists of RC parishes: Galbally RC parish starts 1809


CLONBEG
Clonbeg 1837

a parish, in the barony of Clanwilliam, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 4 miles S. by W. from Tipperary; containing 3662 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the Glen of Aherlow, through which runs the river of that name, and is intersected in the south-western portion by the new road from Tipperary to Michelstown; it comprises 10,616 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, of which about 250 are woodland, and nearly one-third of the remainder are incapable of tillage, though part might be improved. The lands in the valley are generally of good quality; there is a large tract of bog on the mountains, and slate abounds, but it is not quarried. The scenery of the Glen is of highly picturesque character. The north side of the Galtee mountains is within the parish, and within the last thirty-five years abounded with red and fallow deer; but from the improvements that have taken place in agriculture, and the increase of the population, they have totally disappeared. On the top of Galtimore is a large flat stone, called "Kinston," or "Dawson's Table," which is seen from a great distance; and near it is a remarkably fine spring of water, a circumstance unusual at such an elevation; there are also three small lakes in the vicinity of that mountain and within the parish. the gentlemen's seats are Ballinacourty, the residence of J. Massy Dawson, Esq., commanding a fine view of Galtimore and of the Glen of Aherlow; Ballywire, of J. Bolton Massy, Esq.; and Woodville, of Matthew Gibbons (should be Givens), Esq. A constabulary police force is stationed here. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to 369.4.7 1/2. The church is small and out-of-repair, and it is in contemplation to rebuild it. The glebe-house is a handsome residence; the glebe comprises 18 acres. In the R.C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Galbally; the chapel is a neat plain building. The parochial schools, in which are about 30 boys and 20 girls, are aided by annual donations from the rector, Capt. Dawson, and Mr. Hill. There are also two pay schools, in which are about 50 boys and 20 girls. there are some remains of Moore Abbey, and several Danish raths in the parish; and on the hill is a good chalybeate spring.


CLONEBIGGE
Civil Survey 1654

The Parish of Clonebigge
(After the Meares and Bounds)
The sd. parish lyeth in the Barrony of Clanwilliam the Tythes thereof being Impropriat and possessed by Sr. John Magrath by Jus Patronatus. The Tythes of the sd. Parish both great and small was worth in 1640 LI 05:00:00.

The twentith pt of the sd. Parish is pfitable besides woods and the rest course mountaines and unpastureable boggs. In the sd. Parish stands an old brocken castle. In this Parish is five hundred acres of Timber Woods.

The sd. Parish contayneth the sevall colpes heereunder written (vizt) Cappaghcoussane one quarter, Clonebigg one quarter colpe, Ballynacourty one quarter Colpe Dromeleith one qrter colpe, Rosse halfe a colpe In all two colpes.

Proprietors in 1640, Denominacon lands, Number of plant acres

John Cantwell of Ballymckeady Esqr. Irish Papist, Monyneenenabully Cappaghcousane & Ballycrighane three quarters of a colpe, 700:00:00 acres The sd. John Cantwell pprietor of the sd. lands in fee by descent from his ffather. On these lands are 115 acres of timber wood. The land is totally wast excepting the woods.

The Earl of Cork, Dromleigh one quarter of a colpe, 400:00:00 acres The sd. Earle of Corke pprietor thereof in fee by purchas (as wee are informed), On the sd. lands stands 120 plantn. Acres of timber wood. The land is all wast except the sd. wood.

Miles Roch of Maccanagh Irish Papist, Mackannagh halfe a quarter of a colpe, 300:00:00 acresThe sd. Miles Roch pprietor by descent from his ffather thereof. On the sd. lands stands 100 acres of good timberwood. The sd. land is wast onely the sd. timber woods.

Sr. John Magrath of Allevollane Kt Irish Papist, Clonebigg and Ballynacourty halfe a colpe, 400:00:00 acresThe sd. Sr John Magrath pprietor of the sd. lands in fee by descent from his ffather. On these lands stands an old broken castle & 100 acres of timber wood.

Anthony O'Bryen of Cullinagh Irish Papist, Ross & Cullinagh one quarter colpe, 800:00:00 acres The sd. Anthony Bryen pprietor thereof in fee by descent from his Ancestors. Through these lands runns a River called Ahirloe faleing Eastwards to the River Shewir and Sixtie acres of timber wood uppon the sd. lands. The sd. land is wast without Improvemt.

Thomas Burgett of Lissynarrue in the County of Lymick Esqr. Irish Papist, Gortivogher the eight pt of a Colpe, 200:00:00 acresThe sd. Thomas Burgett pprietor thereof in fee by descent from his Ancestors. There is on the sd. lands sixtie acres of timber wood. The land is wast except the sd. timber wood.


Clonbonane
Parish of Clonoulty


Clonbrassil
Parish of Drom


Clonbrick
Parish of Solloghodmore


CLONBRICK,
Clonbrick 1889

Clonbrick is a rural post office in the parish of Sollohedbeg, barony of Clanwilliam, 5 1/2 miles, Irish, west by north from Tipperary, and 3 miles from Oola, on the Waterford and Limerick Railway, the nearest station. The land of the district is good for pasture. Mr. Valentine Ryan is the principal landlord


Clonbrogan
Parish of Magorban


Clonbunny
Parish of Kilvellane


CLONEBULLOGE
1654

CLONEBULLOGE (After the Meares and Bounds)
The sd. Parish lyeth intirely in the Barrony of Clanwilliam all the Tythes great and small of the sd. Parish being Impropriat belonging to James Sall Esqr. By virtue of a lease from the Earle of Ormond. The Tythes great and small of the sd. Parish was worth in 1640 LI 040:00:00.
In the sd. Parish is one acre of Gleabland situated neere the churchyard on the east of the sd. Church lying and being in the halfe colpe of Curraghanna on the lands of Cappagh.
In the sd. Parish stands an old brocken castle Irepayreable.
On the lands of Lismc'hugh in the sd. Parish stands a demolished castle.
The afforesd. Parish contayneth the sevall pts of Colpes heereunder written (vizt.) Lismchugh wth the apptenances three quarters of a colpe Ratheene one sixth pt colpe quarters of a colpe Curraghanea halfe a Colpe Ballingurteene halfe a colpe, Cappagh two thirds of a colpe In all two colpes, one halfe & one sixth pt of a colpe.
Proprietors in 1640, Denominacon lands, Number of plant acres
James Butler of Kilveligher Esqr. & David Bourke of Curraghanea & Theobald Butler of Lisnc'augh Irish Papists, Ballygortine, Curraghanea, Raheene & Lismc'Hugh wth. Their apptenances one colpe three & a sixth pt colpe, 724:00:00 acres The sd. James Butler pprietor of the halfe colpe of Ballingurtine and Rathene devided from Curraghanea & Lismc'hugh by noteable meares & bounds in fee by descent from his Ancestors. The sd. David Bourke pprietor of the halfe colpe of Curraghanea devided by its noteable meares & bounds from the above lands & held in fee by Descent from his Ancestors. The sd. Theobald Butler of Lismc'hugh pprietor of the three quarters of a colpe belonging to Lismc'hugh devided by apparent meares & bounds from all other lands next unto it & purchased by the sd. Theobald Butler from Richard Butler of Ardfinane in 1624 (as wee are informed). Uppon ye three quarters of Lismc'hugh stands a demolished castle & the old walls of a house called Grallaghbegg. Upon the lds. Of Curraghanea stands the ruines of an old mill uppon the river Ara.
The Countess of Ormond, Cappagh two third pts of a colpe, 800:00:00 acres The sd. Countess of Ormond pprietrix of Cappagh in fee by descent from hir Ancestors. This land is wast wthout Improvemt.


CLONBULLOGE or CLONBOLOGUE
Clonbulloge 1837

a parish, in the barony of Clanwilliam, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 4 1/2 miles S.E. from Tipperary, containing 1457 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the mail coach road from Limerick to Waterford, and is intersected by the river Arra; it comprises 3192 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at 2518 per annum. Lismacue, the residence of H. Baker, Esq., is a handsome mansion, the demesne of which extends into the parish of Templeneira, It is a rectory, in the diocese of Cashel, and is part of the union of Tipperary: the tithes amount to 136.12.3 3/4., and the glebe comprises 46 statute acres. There are two pay schools, in which are about 70 children.


Clonbulloge Or Clonbologue Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 20 GV#: 32
consists of RC parishes: Bansha & Kilmoyler RC parish starts 1820


Clonbullogue
consists of
Ballygorteen; Cappauniac; Carriganagh; Grallagh; Tankerstown; Templenahurney


Clonbuogh
Parish of Killavinoge


Cloncannon
Parish of Borrisnafarney


Cloncorig
Parish of Loughkeen


Cloncracken
Parish of Corbally


Cloncurry
Parish of Lismalin


Clondoty
Parish of Loughmoe West


Clonedarby
Parish of Clonoulty


Cloneen
Parish of Corbally


Cloneen
consists of
Ballinard; Ballyhomuck; Ballyvadlea; Cappaghmore; Cloran New; Cloran Old; Garrankyle; Gurtnapisha; Kilburry East; Kilburry West; Kilnagranagh; Milestown; Tober; Tullowcossaun


CLONYNE or CLONEEN
Clonyne 1837

a parish, partly in the barony of Slievardagh, but chiefly in that of Middlethird, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 4 miles E. from Fethard; containing 1680 inhabitants, and comprising 12,078 statute acres. Fairs are held on May 30th, June 29th, and Nov. 1st. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and is part of the union of Fethard: the tithes amount to 300 pounds. In the R.C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, including the parishes of Clonyne and Drangan, in each of which is a chapel. There is a school in which are about 130 children.


Clonely
Parish of Clogher


Cloneska
Parish of Aglishcloghane


Cloneybrien
Parish of Castletownarra


Cloneygaheen
Parish of Killoscully


Cloneygowny
Parish of Castletownarra


Cloneyharp
Parish of Cloghprior


Clonfinane
Parish of Loughkeen


Clonfree
Parish of Loughkeen


Clonganhue
Parish of Solloghodmore


Clongower
Parish of Thurles


Clongowna
Parish of Dorrha


Clonismullen
Parish of Drom


Clonkelly
Parish of Oughterleague


Clonlahy
Parish of Kilvemnon


Clonmaine
Parish of Rathlynin


Clonmakilladuff
Parish of Kilbarron


Clonmel Poor law union
consists of -
Ballyclerahan - Baptistgrange - Caher - Derrygrath - Donaghmore - Garrangibbon - Inishlounaght - Kilcash - Kilgrant - Killaloan - Kilsheelan - Kiltegan - Kiltinan - Lisronagh - Newchapel - Rathronan - St. Mary's, Clonmel - Temple-etney


Clonmel RC Parish
Diocese of Waterford and Lismore
SS. Peter & Paul, St. Mary's, St. Oliver Plunkett

Link to St Peter and St Paul Parish of Clonmel's website

http://www.waterfordlismore.com/parish.php?parish=58 St Peter and Paul

http://www.waterfordlismore.com/parish.php?parish=57 St Mary's

http://www.waterfordlismore.com/parish.php?parish=18 St. Oliver Plunkett


Clonmel Town
Parish of St. Marys Clonmel


CLONMEL
Clonmel 1837

a borough , market and assize town, and a parish, partly in the barony of Upperthird, county of Waterford, but chiefly in that of Iffa and Offa East, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 23 miles W. by N. from Waterford, and 82 1/2 miles S.W. by S. from Dublin, containign 20,035 inhabitants, of which number, 17,838 are in the town. This place, of which the origin is acsribed to a period prior to the invasion of the Danes, is supposed to have derived its name from Cluain-Meala, signifying in the Irish language the "plain of honey," inallusion either to the character of its situation and the peculiar richness of the soil, or to the valley in which it stands being bounded by picturesque mountains that afford honey of fine flavor. It appears to have been the capital of the palatine liberty, as it now is of the County of Tipperary; and is probably indebted for its early importance to the patronage of the Butler family. According to Archdall, a Dominican friary was founded here in 1269, but by whom is not known; and the same author states that the Franciscan friary was also founded in that year by Otho de Grandison, though the date inscribed upon it is 1265: this friary was reformed in 1536, by the friars of the Strict Observance, and having been surrendered to the crown in 1540, was, with its possessions, three years after, granted in moieties to the sovereign and commonalty of Clonmel and the Earl of Ormonde; its church was esteemedone of the most magnificent exxlesiastical structures in the country. In 1516, the town, which was surrounded with walls and strongly fortified was besieged and taken by the Earl of Kildare; and during the civil war of the 17th century, having been garrisoned for the King by the Marquess of Ormonde, it was attacked by Cromwell in 1650, with his army from Kilkenny, but was bravely defended by High O'Nial, a northern officer, who, with 1200 of his provincial forces, maintained it with such valour that, in the first assault, not less than 2000 of the besieging army were slain and the siege was turned into a blockade. After a resolute defense for two months, the garrison, being without any prospect for obtaining relief, secretly withdrew to Waterford, and the inhabitants surrendered upon honorable terms: the town remained in the possession of the parliamentarians till a short time prior to the Restoration, when it was retaken by the Royalists. At the Revolution, the town, which was held by the partisans of James II, was abandoned on the approach of William's army to besiege Waterford.
It is situated on the banks of the river Suir, in a beautiful and fertile valley bounded by picturesque mountains, and on one of the two main roads from Dublin to Cork, and that from Waterford to Limerick. With the exception of that portion which is built on islands in the river, it is wholly on the northern or Tipperary side of the Suir, and is connected with the Waterford portion by three bridges of stone. The principal street is spacious, and extends from east to west, under different names, for more than a mile in a direction nearly parallel with the river; the total number of houses, in 1831, was 1532. The town is lighted with gas from the works erected, in 1824, by Messrs. Barton and Robinson, of London, who sold them, before they were completed, for about 8000 to the British Gas-Light Company of London, under whom they are now held on lease. The provisions of the act of the 9th of George IV, for lighting and watching towns in Ireland, have been adopted here the inhabitants are amply supplied with water by public pumps in the various streets. Several newspapers are published, and there are four newsrooms, one of which is a handsome building lately erected at the eastern end of the town, and called the Country Club House. At the eastern entrance into the town are extensive barracks for artillery, cavalry, and infantry; behind them, on an elevated and healthy spot, is a small military hospital, capable of receiving 40 patients.
In 1667, the plan of Sir Peter Pett for introducing the woolen manufacture into Ireland was carried into effect by the Duke of Ormonde, then Lord-Lieutenant; and, in order to provide a sufficient number of workmen, 500 families of the Walloons were invited over from Canterbury to settle here. The manufacture continued to flourish for some time, but at length fell into decay, in consequence of the prohibitory statutes passed by the English parliament soon after the Revolution, and is at present nearly extinct. A factory for weaving cotton has been established by Mr. Malcomson, for which at present affords employment to 150 girls; he has also an extensive cotton-factory at Portlaw, in the county of Waterford. A very extensive trade is carried on in grain and other agricultural produce of the district, principally with the Liverpool and Manchester markets; great quantities of bacon are also cured and sent to London and the channel ports. There are two very large ale and porter breweries in the town; and at Marlfield, about a mile distant, is a distillery for whiskey upon a very extensive scale. The Excise duties collected within the district, in 1835, amounted to 75,520.16. The only mineral production in the neighborhood which forms an article of commerce is slate, of good quality, found at Glenpatrick and worked by the Irish Mining Company. Though not a sea-port, the town, from its situation at the head of the Suir navigation, is the medium through which the corn and provision export trade is carried on between the southern and eastern portions of this large county and England. There are generally about 120 lighters, of from 20-50 tons burden, employed in the trade of this place; and several hundred carriers are engaged during winter on the roads communicating with Clonmel and the principal towns within 40 miles round; a considerable portion of the trade of Waterford also passes through the town.
In the year ending April 30th, 1832, not less than 230,543 cwt. if flour,28,678 barrels of wheat, 19445 barrels of oats, 3878 barrels of barley, 21559 cwt. of butter, 2769 cwt. of lard, and 63,751 flitches of bacon, besides smaller quantities not enumerated, were sent for exportation. The navigation of the Suir was formerly very imperfect: in 1765, a parliamentary grant was obtained to form a towing-path, by which the passage of the boats has been greatly accelerated. The river is still in so many places so shallow that, in dry seasons, the navigation is much impeded. An act has recently been obtained for its improvement; and it is proposed to form a railroad between Carrick, where a basin is intended to be formed, and Limerick, thereby opening a communication between the Suir and the Shannon. There is a salmon fishery in the river, the quays of which are spacious and commodious, extending from the central bridge along the north side. The Bank of Ireland, the Provincial Bank, the Agricultural and Commercial Bank, and the National Bank of Ireland, have branch establishments here. The market days, under the charter of the 6th of James I, are Tuesday and Saturday; and fairs are held on May 5th and Nov. 5th, and also on the first Wednesday of every month (except May and Nov.0, for the sale of cattle, sheep, horses and pigs, and on the preceding day for pigs only. The butter market is a spacious building, provided with suitable offices for the inspector and others; all butter, whether for home consumption or exportation must be weighed and duly entered: there are also convenient shambles and a large potato market. The post is daily; the revenue of which, for 1835, was about 3000. The royal mail and day car establishment, under the direction of its proprietor, Mr. Bianconi (to whose enterprising exertions the south of Ireland is so much indebted for the establishment of public cars), is in this town. A chief constabulary police station has been established here.
The corporation is of great antiquity, and probably exists by prescription. Numerous charters have at various times been granted since the reign of Edward I; that under which the borough is now governed was granted in the 6th of James I (1608), and, under the title of "The Mayor, Bailiffs, Free Burgesses, and Commonalty of the Town or Borough of Clonmel," ordains that the corporation shall consist of a mayor, two bailiffs, twenty free burgesses (including the mayor and bailiffs), and a commonalty, with a recorder, chamberlain, town-clerk, and other officers. The freedom was formerly obtained by nomination of a burgess to the common council, a majority of whom decided on the admission; but at present the rights of birth, extending only to the eldest son, apprenticeship to a freeman within the borough, and marriage with a freeman's daughter, are recognized as titles to it. The borough returned two members to the Irish Parliament till the Union, since which time it has sent one to the Imperial Parliament. The elective franchise was vested in the freemen at large, amounting, in the year 1832, to 94 in number; but by the act of the 2nd of William IV, cap 88, it has been extended to the 10 pound householders: the number of voters registered at the close of 1835 was 805; the mayor is the returning officer. The electoral boundary, under the act of the 2nd and 3rd of William IV, cap 89, is confined to the town, including Long Island on the south and a space on the north side of the river for buildings contemplated in that quarter, and comprises an area of 361 statute acres, the limits of which are minutely described in the Appendix
The jurisdiction of the corporation extends over a large rural district comprising about 4800 statute acres, of which 3800 are in the county of Waterford and 1000 in Tipperary: the mayor and recorder are justices of the peace. The Tholsel court, for determining pleas to any amount within the town and liberties, in which the cause of action must arise or the defendant reside, is held every Wednesday, before the mayor and bailiffs. The mayor's court. in which he presides, is held every Wednesday, for the recovery of debts not exceeding 10s, late currency; and the mayor and bailiffs hold a court leet twice in the year. Petty sessions are held every alternate Friday. The elections for parliamentary representatives, and the assizes and quarter sessions for the county of Tipperary are held here, the last in April and October. The old court-house, which was built after a design by Sir Christopher Wren, was some years since converted into shops; the new court-house is a light and handsome structure. The county goal is a large stone building; but prior to the erection of the house of correction, which was completed in the year 1834, it was too small for the number of prisoners generally confined in it; it is now adapted to their classification, contains schools for both sexes and a tread-mill, which is applied to the raising of water for the supply of the prison.
The parish extends beyond the Suir a considerable distance into the county of Waterford, and comprises 8907 statute acres, of which 5922 are applotted under the tithe act. The principal seats are Knocklofty, that of the Earl of Donoughmore; Kilmanahan Castle, of Lieut.-Col. Nutall Greene; Marlfield, of J. Bagwell, Esq.; Barn, of S. Moore, Esq.; Woodrooff, of W. Perry, Esq.; Rathronan, of Major-Gen. Sir H. Gough, K.C.B.; Kiltinane Castle, of R. Cooke, Esq.; Darling Hill, of the Hon. Baron Pennefather; and Newtown-Anner, of Lady Osborne; there are also many other handsome residences. The views from the demesnes of Knocklofty and Kilmanahan Castle abound with interest and variety, and are not surpassed by any in this part of the country. At Kiltinane Castle a very rapid stream issuing from a rock forms a remarkable natural curiosity. The living is an entire rectory, in the diocese of Lismore, and in the gift of the Corporation: the tithes amount to 300. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of 100 and a loan of 650 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1810; the glebe, dispersed in small parcels in the town and suburbs, comprises 2a. 1r. 2p. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a handsome octangular embattled tower, 84 feet high, at the eastern extremity of the south side; it was formerly a good specimen of the early english style of architecture, but on its repair, in 1805, it was modernized and retains but little of its original character; a grant of 1019.12. was made by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners for its repair. In the chancel is a beautiful monument, by Taylor of York, to the memory of Mary, wife of J. Bagwell, Esq., and recording also the death of that gentlemen and his eldest son, the late Rt. Hon. William Bagwell, uncle of the present proprietor of Marlfield. There is also a monument erected by the parishioners, in the year 1795, as a tribute of respect to the memory of Dr. J. Moore, who was rector of this parish for 66 years.In the porch are slabs with inscriptions and armorial bearings of the noble family of Hutchinson, Lord Donoughmore, and in one of the shields are impaled the arms of Moore, of Barn. The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Establish Church, and is the benefice of the vicar-general of the united diocese of Waterford and Lismore, and contains two chapels, one in Irishtown, and the other a neat and modern building in Johnston-street; also a Franciscan friary in Warren-street, lately rebuilt, and a Presentation convent situated beyond the western bridge. There are places of worship for Presbyterians in connection with the Synod of Munster, the Society of Friends, Baptists, Unitarians, and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The grammar school was founded in 1685, by R. and S. Moore, Esqs., ancestors of the Mount-Cashel family, who endowed it with the lands of Lissenure and Clonbough, in the county of Tipperary, producing a rental of 369, for the gratuitous instruction of the sons of freemen in Latin. The old schoolhouse having fallen into decay, a large and substantial building has been erected within the last few years at the western extremity of the town, on a site granted at nominal rent by the late Col. Bagwell, and at an expense of nearly 5000, of which 4000 was advanced out of the consolidated fund, for the repayment of which 240 per annum is appropriated from the proceeds of the endowment: there are at present, including boarders, about 90 boys in the school. A parochial school for boys is partly supported by a joint bequest from Dr. Ladyman and Mrs. Pomeroy, amounting to 7 per annum, late currency, and 2 per annum from the rector; and there are a parochial school for girls and an infants' school, both supported by voluntary contributions: a handsome and commodious building has lately been erected for these schools, containing three school-rooms, each capable of accommodating 100 scholars. Two schools for girls are superintended by two ladies, who teach the children gratuitously: a school for boys is supported by collections at the R.C. chapels, which are partly appropriated in paying the master's salary, and partly in providing clothing for the children; and there are Sunday schools in connection with the Established Church and the Presbyterian and Methodists' congregations. The number of children in attendance daily is, on an average, 580; and in the private pay schools are about 650 children.
The fever hospital and dispensary adjacent to it, both handsome and commodious buildings on the north side of the town, are liberally supported. The house of industry for the county of Tipperary, for the reception and support of 50 male and 50 female aged and infirm poor persons of good character, and for the restraint of male and female vagrants, is an extensive building in an airy situation at the foot of the western bridge, opened in 1811: it is supported by grand jury presentments, and is under the government of a corporation by act of parliament; it has a department for orphan children, who, when of proper age, are apprenticed to different trades; the receipts last year were 1543.5.5, and the expenditure 1335.16. A district lunatic asylum for the county of Tipperary was opened in 1835; the building is capable of accommodating 60 patients, and was erected at an expense, including the purchase of the land, furniture, etc. of 16,588. A savings bank has been established; and there are also a mendicity society and a clothing society; the latter established in 1833. A society has lately been formed for the maintenance and education of the orphan children of protestant parents, and within the first year, 33 were so provided for. Several charitable bequests to a considerable amount have been left to the parish by different individuals. Of the town walls, which encompassed only what is now the central part of the town, on the northern bank of the river, there are only very imperfect remains; the entrance was by four principal gates, of which only the west gate, which has been lately very substantially repaired and forms an ornament to the town, is now standing; and of the various towers by which they were defended, there are three remaining near the churchyard. Near the western end of the town are the ruins of the church of St. Stephen, and in the southern suburb are those of the church of St. Nicholas. Some trifling remains of the ancient castle may still be traced in what is now the office of the Tipperary Free Press. In the neighborhood are the ruins of several castles, and traces of encampments or Danish forts; at Gurteen is a cairn or druid's altar; and near Oakland is a holy well, called St. Patrick's well; also the ruins of an ancient chapel, in which are several large stones bearing inscriptions. About half a mile to the south-east is a chalybeate spring, resorted to medicinally; and near the south suburb is another of similar kind, but not much used. The Rev. Laurence Sterne was born here in 1713; and Bonaventura Baro, or Baron, who wrote numerous works during a long residence at Rome, where he died in 1696, was also born here. Clonmel gives the titles of Earl and Viscount to the family of Scott; the father of the present Earl was the Rt. Hon. John Scott, the celebrated chief justice of the King's Bench in Ireland, who was created Baron Earlsfort in 1784, and was advanced to the Viscounty of Clonmel in 1789, and to the Earldom in 1793.


Clonmona
Parish of Dorrha


CLONMORE or KILLAVENOGH
Clonmore 1837

a parish, in the barony of Ikkerin, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, 4 miles N.E. from Templemore, on the road from that place to Rathdowney: containing 3000 inhabitants. It comprises 5946 statute acres, including a considerable quantity of bog; and contains Dromard, the residence of F. Lidwell, Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, forming part of the union of Templemore. The tithes amount to 369.4.7 1/2., and there is a glebe of 36 acres. In the R.C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Templemore, and contains a chapel. About 130 children are educated in two private schools.


Clonmore
Parish of Dolla


Clonmore North
Parish of Ardmayle


Clonmore South
Parish of Ardmayle


Clonmorewalk
Parish of Templenoe


Clonmurragha
Parish of Toem


Clonoulty Civil Parish
North/South Tipperary NGA#: 22 GV#: 3
Church of Ireland records start 1817
consists of RC parishes: Clonoulty Boherlahan & Dualla RC parish starts 1804 1823


Clonoulty
consists of
Ballagh; Ballymore; Cappamurragh; Clonbonane; Clonedarby; Clonoulty Churchquarter; Clonoulty Curragh; Coolanga Lr.; Coolanga Upper; Demone; Doorish; Drummonaclara; Glenough Lr.; Glenough Up.; Gorteennamona; Gortnagranna; Kilmore; Piercetown; Rossmore; Skehanagh; Srahavarrella; Toragh; Town of Ballagh; Westonslot; Woodford


Clonoulty
South Tipperary NGA#: GV#:
consists of RC parishes: Clonoulty RC parish starts 1804


CLONOULTY
Clonoulty 1837

a parish, in the barony of Kilmanagh, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, near the river Suir, 6 miles N.N.W. from Cashel, on the high road from Tipperary to Thurles; containing 3600 inhabitants, and comprising 9720 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; about 80 acres are underwood, 480 bog, and the remainder are good arable and pasture land; the substratum is limestone. The gentlemen's seats are Cappamorrough, the residence of J. Green, Esq. and Woodford, of J. Murphy, Esq. Fairs are held on July 5th and Nov. 12th, and petty sessions every alternate week. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the tithes amount to 461.10. 9 1.4. The glebe-house was built by aid of a gift of 150 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1789; the glebe comprises 15a.Or 22p. The church is in bad repair, and application has been made to the Commissioners for the erection of another. In the R.C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising the parishes of Clonoulty and Clogher, in the former of which are two chapels, situated respectively at Clonoulty and Rossmore. The parochial schools are supported by the incumbent; there is a school for R.C. children, for which a house was built at Clonoulty, at an expense of 114, by Mr. W. Reilly, of Cashel, who also contributes 10 pounds per annum towards its support, and a school at Rossmore; about 230 children are instructed; and there is also a pay school, in which are about 30 children.


Clonoulty RC Parish
consists of civil parishes of Clogher,Clonoulty,Rathkennan
records start in 1804


Clonoulty Churchquarter
Parish of Clonoulty


Clonoulty Curragh
Parish of Clonoulty


Clonoulty Hill
Parish of Doon


Clonoura
Parish of Fennor


Clonpet Civil Parish
South Tipperary NGA#: 23 GV#: 28
consists of RC parishes: Lattin & Cullen RC parish starts 1846


Clonpet
consists of
Ardloman; Ballinleenty; Ballyglass Lower; Ballyglass Upper; Breanshabeg; Breanshamore; Clonpet; Coolnaherin; Gortagowlane; Lackantedane; Moanreagh


CLONPET
Clonpet 1837

a parish, in the barony of Clanwilliam, county of Tipperary, and province of Munster, situated in the heart of a mountainous district, 2 1/4 miles S. from Tipperary; containing 907 inhabitants. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Emly, and is part of the union of Lattin; the rectory is impropriate in William Moore, Esq.: the tithes amount to 92, of which 58 is payable to the impropriator, and 34 to the vicar. In the R.C. divisions it also forms part of the union or district of Lattin. There is a small pay school of 7 boys.


Clonpet
Parish of Clonpet


Clonraskin
Parish of Loughkeen


Clonsingle
Parish of Kilvellane


Clonteige
Parish of Ballymackey


Clontaaffe
Parish of Templemore


Clonwalsh
Parish of Kilgrant


Clonyharp
Parish of Clogher


Cloon
Parish of Ardmayle


Cloonagh
Parish of Roscrea


Cloonanagh
Parish of Kilmore


Cloonawillin
Parish of Aglishcloghane


Clooncleagh
Parish of Twomileborris


Cloone
Parish of Loughmoe East


Clooneen Lower
Parish of Kilruane


Clooneen Middle
Parish of Kilruane


Clooneen Upper
Parish of Kilruane


Cloonfinglass
Parish of Killardry


Clooninihy
Parish of Terryglass


Cloonmalonga
Parish of Kilmucklin


Cloonmanagh
Parish of Cullen


Cloonmore
Parish of Ballymackey


Cloonyhea
Parish of Drangan


Cloonyross
Parish of Clogher


Cloran New
Parish of Cloneen


Cloran Old
Parish of Cloneen


Clybanane
Parish of Roscrea