St. Charles Township
" Pride of the Fox"
once known as
Wayne - Silver Glen P.O. - Fayville
The Fox is the symbol of St. Charles, you can see that on the official City of St. Charles site. This represents what a scene at Baker Hotel may have looked like shortly after it opened, and it's charm is something you can enjoy today. This beautiful historic hotel is on the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
St. Charles Township Map (Kane County Forest Preserve Link)
St. Charles township and the village of St. Charles were, in the early days, the most important part of the county, and for years St.Charles was the center of general activities of the northern part of the district. There were predictions it would surpass Chicago.
In an early day this township was the seat of many Indian settlements and the trails of the redmen were numerous. One of the most noted was known as "Waubonsie's Trail", which followed the river on the west bank and took in all the prominent springs in that vicinity. As late as 1845 this trail was plainly visible across the land afterward owned by C.D. WING, J.D. BROWN and C.H. HAINES. Another trail led west from Chicago to Rock River across Fox River near where the St. Charles dam (of 1908) and followed the ravine west and over the prairie. The third came from the northeast and a fourth diverged from the Chicago trail near Wayne Station and crossed the river a the bend now known as Five Islands, about a half mile below the Illinois Central railroad bridge.
Historical Time Line
First Settlers - William FRANKLIN and family arrived in March.
Dean and Read FERSON arrived from Windsor County, Vermont
Mr. CRANDALL claimed part of the land on which the City of St. Charles now stands and built a log house in the spring of 1834. This claim, together with about 40 acres in the Little Woods, he sold to James HERRINGTON, of Geneva.
Melvin MARSH settled on what became the FOLEY Farm. He sold out to Martin SWITZER, who came from Canada in 1838.
Ira and George MINARD came from Windham County, Vermont. In the fall Ira MINARD built a log house on the farm afterward owned by John H. FERSON.
Albert HOWARD and Rice FAY took up a claim. See Fayville on Community Link page.
Friend MARK of New York arrived in the summer and settled on land later owned by Mr. KIMBLE.
John KITTRIDGE of Manchester, New Hampshire arrived that summer also.
Walter WILSON, William ARNOLD and Alexander LAUGHLIN came about the same time.
In the fall a considerable number of settlers arrived from New Brunswick, among them Mrs. Moses YOUNG, Stephen YOUNG, Joel YOUNG, D.C. YOUNG, Jerusha YOUNG, who later became Mrs. J.T. WHEELER, Samuel YOUNG, Robert MOODY and J.T. WHEELER.
Timothy Adams WHEELER of Cavendish, Vermont arrived that fall but returned to Vermont because of an injury. He returned to St. Charles and later died.
First Marriage - James T. WHEELER & Jerusha YOUNG January 15th.
First Blacksmith - Daniel Marvin - making spinning wheels and farm rakes.
Amos R. WHEELER, brother of Timothy Wheeler arrived.
Calvin WARD and family arrived from Massachusetts
Gideon YOUNG arrived
Solomon DUNHAM and his son-in-law, Mark W. FLETCHER arrived. The claim of Solomon Dunham expanded into the Dunham stock farm near Wayne which comprises over 1200 acres.
Joseph PEMBERTON and Nathan PERRY arrived.
First Death - Miss Alzira GARTON died in the fall and was buried at Brown Grove.
Charles B. GRAY and Thomas STEWART arrived.
First School - Opened in a log house in the fall and was initially taught by Prudence WARD. Later Mrs. Dean FERSON took over.
Archibald MOODY settled
First Saw Mill
Dean FERSON and Prudence WARD married at Charlestown, as it was then known, Sept. 14th.
Congregational Church was organized with Rev. N.C. CLARK (formerly of Naperville) as pastor, by residents wanting a permanent clergyman. Services were held in private homes, including that of Robert and Elizabeth MOODY on Indiana Street, and in the school houses during the next several years.
Locke's Wool-Carding and cloth dressing Mill established
First Post Office - Horace BANCROFT was the first post master and Calvin WARD Mail Carrier.
First Newspaper in the County - The St. Charles Patriot was published by JOHN THOMAS.
Links to Area Resources and Other Information
Advertising of Old
Ads at St.CharlesHistory.Org
Jucket House, 110 Third St., St. Charles, Kane County, IL.
Lewis, Dr. Jas. K., House, 19 S. Fifth St., St. Charles, Kane County, IL.
Arcada Theater Munhall Elementary School Teacher: Sharon Reed
Biographies - Information
St. Charles History Archives - Biographies Great resource!
Colonel Edward Baker, St. Charles benefactor. (under construction)
Norris Family Records - Regional History Center Archives at Northern IL Univ.
Dellora Angell Norris, St. Charles benefactor
Robert E. Roland, Ph.D.
J. McWilliams Stone - Operadio (DuKane)
Sam Sublet - Illinois Youth Center
Brian Wilson - Beach Boys
Wolcott - War of 1812 - "In the same unit was surgeon's mate Walter Wolcott, whose elder brother Roger was one of the many Connecticut natives who had settled in Canada after the Revolution; he commanded a company of Canadian militia during the war and many years later moved to St. Charles in Illinois, where he died in 1863 at the age of 90.
St. Patrick's Church - St. Charles - Historical Information
St. Charles Episcopal Church
Colonial Ice Cream
The Colonial chain began nearly 100 years ago when 12-year-old orphan, Sam Anderson, of St. Charles bought a milk route. He expanded that into a dairy and ice cream plant with a fleet of delivery trucks, then added retail stores. What was then the Anderson Ice Cream Co. ratcheted down to doing only wholesale milk and ice cream making from the 1940s until 1958, when it began opening Colonial restaurants. The first was what is now Colonial Ice Cream and Juice Cafe on Third Street in downtown St. Charles. The ice cream manufacturing facility was then located behind the retail store. I remember many a tour through the plant as a school child - AND - FREE ICE CREAM in a "Sundae Cup" with a wooden spoon. My grandparents lived not far from there and would often walk along old Route 31 (22), which as since been closed and rerouted, on our way to buy a pint of vanilla ice cream.
Moline Malleable Iron Works - Photo of Many Employees 1930s (under construction)
Tau Kappa Epsilon at Hotel Baker 1935
St. Charles History (link to St. Charles History Centre)
St. Charles History Archives - District 303 & Illinois State Library
Native American History (link to St. Charles History Centre)
Portraits from St.CharlesHistory.Org
St. Charles Views
Moline Malleable Iron Works - employees 1930s
Belgian Town Buzz Saw
Points of Interest
The following are available at the St. Charles Public Library
St. Charles Patriot Feb 5, 1842 and April 30, 1842
St. Charles Leader April 7, 1877
St. Charles Weekly Argus May 21, 1857
Kane County Democrat from the 1850s
St. Charles Review May 18, 1878-January 10, 1880
Valley Chronicle June 3, 1881-December 31, 1897
The St. Charles Chronicle film is from June 8, 1900-March 2, 1990 and
continues with the name changed to Kane County Chronicle on March 7,
1990 to the present.
This is the place for you to share your memories of "Old" St.Charles.
Questions & Answers
Resources - Kane County & St. Charles
Resources & Links - St. Charles
Historic Preservation Commission of St. Charles - Kim Malay at 630-377-4443
St. Charles Public Library - Link
St. Charles Chamber of Commerce
St. Charles Cooperative Home Page - Link
City of St. Charles - Link
1833-1870 Early Settlement of St. Charles
1870-1920: A Growing Community
St. Charles Profile, Legends - Link
St. Charles Boys Home (Illinois Youth Center - St.Charles) History - Link
Illinois Youth Center at Valley View - Link
Current Data - Link
St. Charles was settled by many Belgian families. The area were Dean Ferson lived at 12th Street & Dean became known as "Belgian Town" sometime after his death in 1892, as so many Belgiam immigrants settled in that area near Moline Malleable.
Genealogy in Belgium
Rural Belgium 1800s
Flanders & Belgium Area Ancient History
Belgian Laces - e-mail: email@example.com
The Belgian Researchers
495 East 5th Street
Peru IN 46970
Many Belgian Infor Links
Infobel (Telephone Listings)
Name Frequency in Area
Groot Begijnhof Leuven
Belgian Privacy Commission
Belgium Map 1850 (very large file 600 kb)
Belgian Surname Map
Virtual Tour of Antwerp
Belgian Newspaper Links
Belgian newspapers (in Dutch) http://www.digikids.be/nl/media/kranten/europa/k-belg.htm
ANTWERP section of AMSAB:
Law & Order
Richard's Riot - Story of grave robbing and a medical school.
Wredling Jr. High (today/new)
Lincoln Elementery School
Mount Saint Mary's (under construction - no info yet)
Pioneer Sholes School (historic)
St. Dominic's College (now Arthur Anderson Training Center)
St. Patrick's Catholic Elementary School (holds class reunions)
St.Charles Junior High (Haines Jr. High) Graduation Class 1936 - student list
My Belgian Family
van de WOESTIJNE [Anglicized to Vanderstyne]& Related Families Genealogy
Many items are under construction.
You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that
you once got from a roller coaster.
Back to Kane County Home Page
Copyright © 2000 Send Mail
Thursday, 02-Mar-2000 23:15:48 MST KaneCoIL@aol.com