Kane County, Illinois
South Elgin is available for adoption. Would you be willing to provide information?
South Elgin is located in Elgin Township, and straddles both sides of the scenic Fox River, and is situated between St.Charles and Elgin. It was once known as Clintonville. Today it is a growing community with easy access to beautiful bike trails, Elgin Community College, new homes and reliable bus service.
JOSEPH P. CORRON arrived in the spring and settled about 3/4 mile from the river
Dr. NATHAN COLLINS built a cabin on the west side of the river, but later moved to St.Charles,were he later died.
TRUMAN GILBERT & Dr. JOSEPH TEFFT arrived in the fall and winter; both built log cabins were the Ballantine Distillery later located.
GILBERT & TEFFT began the first dam, but the flood of 1837 swept it away before it was completed.
GILBERT & TEFFT built a second dam, which was still in place in 1900, and a saw mill on the east side of the river.
Distillery built by NATHAN WILLIAMS and operated by several companies over the years, without the expected financial success.
East side of the Village laid out by TRUMAN GILBERT.
West side of the Village was laid out soon after by Dr. JOSEPH TEFFT and B.W. RAYMOND.
Additions followed by Truman Gilbert and heirs of Dr. COLLINS.
HIRAM J. BROWN built a flour mill on the west side.
G.M. WOODBURY built a flour mill on the east side.
Galena & Chicago Railway, which later became the C & NW Railway, arrived starting growth in the community.
First frame school building erected. It was also used for church services.
First bridge is built, by subscription.
G.M.WOODBURY added a distillery to his flour mill. Several others operated it over the years.
Dr. ERASTUS TEFFT built a paper mill. (Could be that he purchased it from someone.)
WILLIAM PAUTON purchased the west side flour mill
JOSEPH P. CORRON Addition platted.
Bridge washed away and another was built.
Free Methodist Church built.
Iron bridge erected.
Geahan & Hutchinson Tannery moved from Elgin to South Elgin.
WOODBURY's flour mill run by T.H. FOSTER.
Paper mill property owned by O. DAVIDSON of Elgin who leases it to B. HAGELOW & Co., which manufactures roofing and siding felt.
Bosworth & Davidson - iron foundry - manufacturers school furniture and employs 20 people.
DAVIDSON & I.C. BOSWORTH purchased substantial land holdings and water power interests.
Source: History of Kane County by Joslyn & Joslyn 1908
Valentine "Valley" Kramer killed at local tavern.
The growth of South Elgin came to a virtual stand still because of the distilleries failed, sat idle, and made a negative impact on the community.
The Aurora, Elgin and C Railway brought some life back to the village.
In recent years the community has blossomed with new residential and commercial growth.
Peaslee House was built in the late 1830s or 1840s by Master stonecutter James Peaslee and his brother. The home was built on one of the original lots of Truman Gilbert, another early settler. Peaslee lived in the home until his death in 1881. It was purchased 27 years later by Justice of the Peace, N.C.J. Kostrup who paid $500 for it.
South Elgin Related Links
Elgin State Hospital (some times referred to as "South Elgin")
Fox Valley Trolley Museum - South Elgin
Magazines & Misc. (Genetic Diseases, Other Resources & Anything Else)
Copyright © 2000 Send Mail
Last Updated 5 Mar 2000 KaneCoIL@aol.com