Pingree Grove - Rutland - Gilberts Station - Jackson - Deerfield - Udina
Banner - Starks?
The Chicago & Galena stage coach route ran directly through Rutland Township. Hampshire and Rutland were originally one district, named Deerfield Precinct.
The feeding and housing of travelers were the chief source of such small amounts of cash as the settlers obtained.
The township was named after Rutland, Vermont by E.R. STARKS, the first settler, who arrived (from Rutland, Vermont) in the township in 1835. The township was uninhabited except for a few Indians. Starks spent that winter in Naperville, returning to the township in the spring of 1836.
ELIJAH RICH took up a claim adjoining STARKS and together they built a log cabin for STARKS the summer of '35.
In 1836 Mr. RICH's family arrived. He lived there until his death in 1871.
NATHANIEL CRAMPTON & NOBLE KING arrived about the same time and boarded with Starks and Rich.
ANDREW & DANIEL PINGREE arrived. The grove near their settlement acquired the name "PINGREE GROVE" and has since been known by that name. Andrew PINGREE was a minister of the gospel and a native of New Hampshire.
ANDREW McCORNACK and family arrived. He died in 1875 at 90 years.
WILLIAM MOORE & WILLIAM LYNCH, brother-in-laws, settled in the western part of the township. Mr. SEYMOUR lived in the same area.
First Death of the township.Mrs. HANNAH RICH was the
First Birth in the township.ADELIAH RICH, daughter of ELIJAH RICH was the
First Physician - Dr. McKAY arrived about this time.
Deerfield post office was established 2 miles west of Pingree Grove.
First Marriage - LEWIS BANDAL and Miss BRADY were married by the
First Justice of the Peace - ELIJAH RICH
1840 Letter by Daniel Pingree to SAMUEL ROWELL of KY - Describing Kane County & Settlers Advantages. This is an excellent look into history.
Log School house was built, but never taught in as there were too few children. It was used for a meeting house.
JOHN HUNTER a native of Ireland arrived in America in 1832 and settled in Rutland in 1842. He was a leader of the strong Irish Presbyterian sentiment in the township and a republican.
FRANCIS KING, JOHN L. ROWE, JOHN FLYNN were elected trustees at the house of ROBERT EAKIN.
Pingree Grove Post Office established.
S.B. EAKIN, ALEXANDER McCORNACK, and DANIEL DUFF were elected school trustees. There were then 8 school districts and 384 pupils.
Total school students - 450
Rutland Post Office established, it was later known as Gilberts.
John Collins who killed his wife while drunk was one of the first of Kane County's two public hangings
First Church was built by the Catholics on land donated by ANDREW PINGREE. It was two miles west of Gilberts at the Old Catholic burying ground. Rev. JOHN GUIGEN, a Frenchman, was the First Priest. He was succeeded by Rev. SCANLON and later Father GALLAHER.
Eleven school districts with a total school body of 619
Gilberts Station was laid out and platted by ANDREW PINGREE and ELIJAH WILCOX. JOHN KELLEY acted as express agent and post master, and after wards county sheriff.
First Postmaster of Gilberts Station was JOHN MANN, who was succeeded by JOHN McGRAW, NICHOLAS FREEMAN, and JOHN MARTIN.
The Village of Pingree Grove was platted and laid out by DANIEL & HANNAH PINGREE and as of 1908 had a population of 600.
Source: Kane County History by Joslyn & Joslyn, 1908
Resources - Kane County & It's Communities
Magazines & Misc. (Genetic Diseases, Other Resources & Anything Else)
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids