Kane County, Illinois
Early Doctors - Early Hospitals
1908 Physicians of Aurora
1908 Physicians of Elgin
Pioneer physicians of Kane County were men of ability and determination. The diseases they treated were unfamiliar and their patients widely scattered. The doctors either rode on horseback or walked to their patients carrying the medicines of the day. Those medicines carried were frequently very costly. Today we would find many of the treatments questionable, others we might do well to rediscover
You may be surprised by the number of early women physicians.
Those early healers included:
Dr. Orson B. ADAMS, who for many years practiced at Elgin, recieved his diploma from Rush Medical College, Chicago, February 15, 1860.
Dr. Pierre A. ALLAIRE, was born in New York city, November 24, 1815 and began the study of medicine at the age of seventeen years with Dr. Stephen C. ROE, of Bellevue Hospital. During the six months he was with him, he supported himself on sixpence a day. He engaged in the drug business and was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeeons, New York City in March 1837. For a time he was assistant surgeon at Bellevue Hospital, but came west in 1838 or 39, locating at Bristol, Kendall County. He was there engaged in practice with Dr. WHEELER until 1841, when he removed to Aurora, and had his office and residence on the west side of River Street, between Downer Place and Galena Street. his fame as physician and surgeon became widespread, extending throughout the entire northern portion of the state. He was active in promoting school affairs and was several times city physician of Aurora. As a surgeion he was especially noted. Dr. ALLAIRE died from an attack of apoplexy at Aurora, June 17, 1885, aged nearly seventy years. He was said at the time to be the oldest practicing physician in the Fox River Valley.
George Frank ALLEN of Aurora graduated February 24, 1880 from Rush Medical College, Chicago.
Dr. L. H. ANGELL who practiced at Aurora early in 1855, and probably earlier, entered the United States service in 1861 as surgeion of the 52nd Illinois Infantry and died at Camp Chase, Ohio, March 28, 1865.
Dr. J.C. AUGUSTINE, of Batavia, a popular member of the profession, was graduated from the Bennett Eclectic Medical College, Chicago, March 2, 1876, and practiced both at Blackberrry and Batavia.
A.W. AVERY of Aurora was a graduate of Long Island College Hospital, New York, June 15, 1882.
Dr. Fred BARTELS
Dr. Albner R. BARLETT, homoeopathist, a native of Whitestown, New York became a Universalist minister in 1839. He came to Aurora in 1847 to preach. In 1848 he entered upon the study of medicine, and was graduated from the Homeopathic Medical College, Cleveland, Ohio. He practiced his profession at Aurora from that time to within a few months of his death, which occurred December 26, 1880. He was a very successful physician and held the chair of physiology and general pathology in the college of which he was a graduate and the Homoeopathic Medical College of missouri, at St. Louis.
Dr. George E. BASS, a native of Vermont practiced in Lowell, Massachusetts and at South Chicago before settling in Aurora. In 1886 he formed a partnership with Dr. Mason MILES. In 1887 he returned to Chicago.
Dr. BATEMAN, electic physician and oculist, was practicing in West Aurora as early as April 1855.
Dr. Robert F. BENNETT graduated from Rush Medical College in 1853. He was attending physician at Mercy Hospital for about 5 years, then practiced a number of years at Richmond, Illinois. He located at Elgin in 1870, where he continued practice until his death. He also served in the war.
Morgan A. BENTLY of Aurora was certified to practice by examination of the Illinois State Board January 15, 1878.
Dr. William H. BISHOP graduated June 20, 1877 from Bennett Eclectic Medical College of Chicago. He was a former resident of Elgin township.
Dr. Francis BLACKMAN, an able and well-known physician of Geneva, was graduated from Chicago Medical College in 1870 and won a well-earned reputation for skill in his profession.
Mrs. Julia A. (Cole) BLACKMAN of Geneva was a graduate ofr Woman's Hospital Medical College, Chicago, February 23, 1871.
Dr. P.S. BLACKMAN settled in Aurora in the fall of 1858 for several months, possibly with Dr. D. HURLBUTT.
Dr. Leonard R. BRIGHAM of Aurora, began the study of medicine in 1839 and was graduated from the Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio. He came to Aurora in 1860.
Dr. Frank M. BROWN of Dundee graduated Bennett Medical College Chicago in 1883.
Dr. R.S. BROWN
Mrs. Dr. (GROAT) BROWN
Dr. Simon P. BROWN graduated from Rush Medical College - Chicago in 1869. After practicing at Palatine, Cook county, Illinois he arrived at Elgin specializing in gynecology. He was for years one of the leading men of the profession.
Dr. Samuel C. BUCHAN - of Batavia became a graduate of Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City, March 1, 1877.
Dr. Charles A. BUCHER of Batavia was a native of Steuben County, New York arriving in Aurora in 1850. In 1855 he located at Batavia and subsequently studied medicine under Drs. THOMPSON and MEAD. He was graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, made an honorable record in the army as acting assistant surgeon of the 124th and first assistant surgeon of the 72nd Infantry. He located in Batavia in 1865 and was elected Kane County coroner in 1868.
Dr. Ira A. W. BUCK, a graduate of the Physio-Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, located his practice at Aurora early in april 1850. He resided on the east side of the Fox River.
W.F. BUNDY was a graduate of Bennett Medical College, Chicago, March 28, 1881 listing an Aurora address.
Dr. BUNKER - Student at Franklin Medical School, St. Charles. Died in Oregon, Illinois.
Mr. BURBANK - see Dr. John GOODNOW
Dr. Dwight E. BURLINGAME, a graduate from Chicago Medical College, March 23, 1869, had entered the institution in the fall of 1866. he located at Elgin in 1864 and in 1870 he entered practice with Dr. E. WINCHESTER, to whose practice he succeeded upon the latter's removal to California in 1872. He enjoyed a large practice. Dr. BURLINGAME was still living in Elgin in 1908 having been disabled by a paralytic stroke.
Dr. N.F. BURDICK
Dr. BURRITT- read medicine at Dr. DeWOLF's.
Dr. L. M. BURROUGHS of Batavia began practice in 1848.
Dr. B.F. BUSSEY practiced several years in St. Charles subsequent to the Civil War.
Dr. Theodore CANISIUS resided for a number of years in Aurora. About 1868, after a trip to the old country, he originated a scheme to establish a beet-sugar factory at Aurora, but his hopes were never realized. The fine farm he purchased for the cultivation of the surgar beet, he sold in 1874, and in the fall of that year removed to Chicago.
George H. CARR, an Aurora homeopathist, graduated Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago on February 28, 1870.
Dr. Archibald CHURCH was a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, February 11, 1884.
Dr. Anson L. CLARK graduated from the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio in 1861 and began practice at Elgin in 1862. He was assistant surgeon of the 127th Illinois Infantry during the Civil War. He was also professor of obstetrics and diseases of women in Bennett Medical College of Chicago beginning in 1869. He was also President of that college. He authored a standard work on "Diseases of Women and Children;" was elected a member of the State Board of Health in 1877, and also a member of the State and national Eclectic Medical Associations, and of the National Public Health Association. he was dean of the faculty in Bennett Medical College and gynecologist in Bennett Medical Hospital. He was still living in Elgin in 1908.
Dr. E.F. CLEVELAND, a native of Northern New York, was for many years a respected citizen of Dundee and a very able physician. He was educated at St. Mary's High School, Canada. During the was of the Rebellion he made a fine record in the army, and in 1865 commenced the study of medicine in Canada. He attended lectures at McGill College, Montreal, and was graduated from the medical department of the University of Michigan, in 1868. He then settled in Dundee and entered private practice.
Dr. M. Daniel COE, a homeeopathist, settled in St. Charles about 850 and became a popular and well-known citizen. He was also a faithful wathcman beside the sick during the cholera epidemic. He moved soon after the Civil War, and died before 1908.
Dr. Julia A. COLE see BLACKMAN
Dr. W.E. COLE of Aurora was an early comer locating in 1848 in the office previously occupied by Dr. HUBBARD. He used the water-cure treatment in chronic diseases.
Dr. Nathan COLLINS and Dr. Joseph Tefft, were brother-in-laws who arrived from Medina County, New York, together in a wagon about November 7th, 1835. Collins established a claim on the west side of the Fox River near South Elgin, but in 1836 moved to St. Charles. He was the first physician in that community. He built the house afterward occupied by T.E. RYAN, on West Second Street, a block south of Main, and had his office in the small brick building which at one time formed part of Mr. Ryan's stable. He died in St. Charles around September 20, 1841.
Dr. N.P. COLLINS of South Elgin graduated from the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, Februrary 11, 1868.
Charles E. COLWELL, Aurora homeopathist, graduated Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago on February 26, 1885.
Dr. John A. COOK studied medicine at Yorkville; was graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1859, and commenced practice in Kendall County. He removed to Aurora in 1868.
Clinton G. COOLEY of Aurora, was a March 5, 1884 graduate of Albany Medical College, New York.
Dr. Charles N. COOPER of Batavia was a native of Ohio. In 1867 he was graduated from the Iowa College and took his degree in medicine at the Chicago Medical College, March 18, 1869. He practiced at Keosauqua, Iowa until 1875, when he came to Batavia, where he enjoyed a fine practice.
Dr. Levi A. CRABTREE, a native of New York state, located at Dundee in 1856-57, having practiced medicine a number of years previously, in California and elsewhere. He was graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1849.
Dr. Samuel K. CRAWFORD, a native of Ireland, and nephew of Dr. H. M. CRAWFORD, came to St. Charles about 1850, studied medicine with his uncle at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and engaged in practice several years before the war. In 1861 he entered the United States service as assistant surgeon of the 8th Illinois Cavalry. At the close of the war he settled in Warsaw, Missouri.
Dr. Henry M. CRAWFORD - One of the best educated and well known physicians in the entire Northwest, was born in Belfast, Ireland, and graduated from the Roayl Belfast College, an affiliated college of the London University in 1848. He held a surgeon's diplona and prior date and furthered his studies in Dublin and Edinburgh. He came to America on an immigrant ship in the spring of 1848 and arrived in St. Charles in September. He continued on, but returned in October as winter was coming early, and found himself snowbound in St. Charles, where he decided to stay. He tended those with the Asiatic cholera from 1849 to 1854. The in 1854 he was commissioned as surgeon of the St. Charles Grenadier Guards, a local military company. When the great war of the Rebellion carem he accepted the surgeoncy of the 58th Illinos Volunteer Infantry and served as a regimental, brigade, divsion and army corps surgeon, chief of hospitals, etc. Afterwards he returned to St. Charles and resumed his practice. Before the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 he opened an office there and was a prominent lecturer. The fire destroyed his Chicago office and valuable library, hence he returned to St.Charles.
Dr. Lyman E. CURRIER, homoeopathist of Batavia, graduated from the Chicgo Homoeopathic College, March 5, 1877.
Dr. Mark A. CUSHING, formerly of Aurora, first came arrived in 1837. Three years later he commenced the study of medicine, and was graduated from Castleton Medical college, Vermont, in 1847. After practicing 20 years in the East, he returned to Kane County in 1867.
Dr. J. DAGGETT
Addison DANFORTH - Student at Franklin Medical School, St. Charles.
Dr. Richard S. DEWEY, of Elgin, was a graduate of the University of Michigan, March 28, 1869.
Dr. A. B. DeWOLF, a native of Trumbull County, Ohio, studied medicine with Dr. H.D. LaCossit at Greenville, Mercer County, Pennsylvania, and in 1837-39 attended Ohio Medical College at Cincinnati, from which he graduated. He practiced medicine for town or three years at Sharon, Penn. and in the fall of 1841 settled at St. Charles, arriving about Sept. 22, or the day on which Dr. Collins was buried. About 1843 he was in partnership a short time with Dr. WHIPPLE and purchased the latter's brick home, where he lived for many years. For 40 years he had an extensive practice in DuPage and Kane Counites making his journeys on horseback the first 10 years. He had his hands full during the cholera outbreak of 1854, three members of his wife's family dying. Among the various students he had in his office were JOHN ROOD, a young man who died in as a result of the RICHARD's RIOT in 1849; Dr. BURRITT, Dr. YOUNG & Dr. NASH. T. HERBERT WHIPPLE also read medicine for a short time in Dr. DeWolf's office; and several others of note.
Dr. B.E. DODSON
Dr. B.F. DODSON was located at St. Charles for a short time during the Civil War and acted as examining surgeon for volunteers. He was a regularly educated and very competent physician and surgeon and subsequently had charge of a hospital for colored troops at Memphis, Tennessee.
Dr. DYER of Geneva, IL is said to have named the community after his home of Geneva, New York. He later lived in Chicago.
Dr. Daniel EASTMAN - Aurora: Arrived June 1835 and practiced as a physician and surgeon until the law called him. He was an early probate judge until his term expired the summer of 1862 when he returned to medicine. He also was a Universalist clergyman at one time. He died in Aurora February 23, 1863.
Dr. N.P. EDDY of Geneva was a graduate of Geneva Medical College, January 24, 1840 coming to Illinois about 1857.
Thomas A. ELDER, Aurora, graduated Rush Medical College, Chicago on February 5, 1868.
Dr. Francis M. ELLIOTT, a native of Kane County, studied medicine with Dr. S.F. HANCE. He entered Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1866, and was graduated from that institution February 3, 1869. He practiced three yeras at Blairstown, Iowa returning to Aurora in 1872 and succeeded to the practice of Dr. HANCE.
Dr. ELMORE practiced in Elgin in 1838, but then entered the hotel business, keeping a public house in a log and frame building on the corner of Chicago and Villa Streets. He moved on a short time later.
Dr. ORPHEUS EVERTS - student at Franklin Medical School who was present during RICHARD's RIOT. He and Dr. R.I. THOMAS later moved to LaPorte, Indiana.
Dr. FAIRIE or (Frary)
Dr. Albert A. FITTS of Batavia graduated from the medical department of Howard University, Washington, DC in 1878.
James Franklin FORD graduated with Dr. WINDETT from Rush Medical College on February 15, 1887. He removed to Wisconsin that same year.
Dr. FRENCH practiced a few years in St. Charles and died there.
Dr. Henry G. GABEL, who studied with Dr. L.R. BRIGHAM at Aurora, was graduated from the Eclectic Medical Institute at Cincinnati, Ohio, January 28, 1875.
E.H. GALE came from Vermont to Illinois about 1866.
Dr. C. Alex GARNSEY, a Batavia homoeopathist studied with a private practitioner and commenced practice in 1854.
Dr. S.C. GILLETT, a graudate of Rush Medical College, Chicago in 1853 was still practicing in Aurora in 1908.
Dr. A.R. GILLMAN was located in Aurora in 1849.
Dr. P.D.H. GOFF was an Aurora resident July 1, 1848, and possibly before.
Dr. O.A. GOODUE, a homoeopathist from New Hampshire practiced for several years in St. Charles.
Dr. John R. GOODNOW, from New Hampshire, was the first doctor to settle in Dundee. He purchased a claim of some 800 acres from Thomas DEWEESE in 1837. A Mr. BURBANK arrived with him and later became a physician, locating in Chicago. Dr. GOODNOW became one of the early Justices of the Peace, and was long known in the northern part of the county.
Dr. Russell T. GOODWIN was graduated at Castleton Medical College, Vermont, June 6, 1842, and came to Illinois previous to 1848. He practiced in Dundee.
Mrs. Lida E. GREEN, M.D. after the death of her husband, Dr. John GREEN, in Kendall County, in accordance with his desire, studied medicine, and February 28, 1878, was graduated rom the Woman's Hospital Medical College, Chicago. She located at Aurora the same year, but removed to near Mitchell, Dakota in 1882.
Dr. J.W. GROAT came to Aurora from Fremont, Ohio, in 1876 or 1877, upon the death of his sister, Mrs. Dr. BROWN, and practiced there about six years. He died suddenly in Chicago, January 12, 1883, age 50 years. He was a graduate from the Western Reserve College, Hudson, Ohio, February 24, `863.
Dr. John B. GULLY of Geneva was a native of England and studied medicine in Bristol, London and other cities. He came to America in 1847 and placed himself under the instruction of Dr. NICHOLS. In 1850 he was graduated from the American Hydropathic Institute at New York. He came to Illinois about 1856. At various times conducted success water cures in Michigan, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin but finally changed his practice to homoeophathy. He matriculated at hahnemann Medical College, Chicago; became a member of the Illinois State Homoeopathic Medical Association about 1866-67, and held office therein.
Dr. Richard R. HALL, formerly of Jersey County, Illinois was a graduate of Eclectic Medical Institute, Cincinnati, Ohio, February 12, 1848. He practiced in Aurora but later removed to Wichita, Kansas in 1886.
Dr. S.F. HANCE arrived from Buffalo, New York and set up practice in Aurora about 1858.
Dr. Abner HARD, a native of Geneva, New York, removed to Livingston county, Michigan, when thirteen years old -- about 1833. He took up the study of medicine and spent some of his winters teaching school near Detroit. In 1851 he came to Aurora, where he continued to study with his brother, Dr. Nicholas HARD. In 1852 he went to Keokuk, Iowa, and was graduated from the medical department of the Iowa State University, February 8, 1854. He practiced a couple of years at Ottawa, then returned to Aurora. During the War of the Rebellion he was surgeon of the 8th Illinois Cavalry and was brevetted lieutenant colonel for meritorious service. After the war he wrote a full and very interesting hisotry of the regiment. February 5, 1868 he was graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago. He served in the Aurora City Coucil, was postmaster from 1869 to 1873, and a prominent member of the Fox River valley, the State and the American Medical Association. His death occurred from pheumonia at Aurora, March 21, 1885.
Dr. Chester HARD located at St. Charles in 1844 and studied medicine with his brother, Dr. Nicholas HARD, both moving to Aurora in 1845. In 1848 he graduated from the Indiana Medical College with a degree of Doctor of Medicine and immediately entered practice with his brother. They practiced together until April 12, 1850 when the firm was dissolved and Chester moved to Ottawa, Illinois, where he continued in practice and won a fine reputation. while in Aurora he resided on the east side, next north of the home of Samuel McCarty. He was a native of Livingston County, New York.
Dr. Nicholas HARD became a resident of St. Charles about 1844. He filled a professorship at Franklin Medical College, and before that was a at the Medical School of LaPorte, Indiana. There he earned popularity as a lecturer on anatomy, in Aurora and elsewhere. He was a fine and well educated physician and an excellent surgeon. One of his successful operations in Aurora was that of a tracheotomey (cutting an opening in the windpipe) in the case of child of Marcus LATHROP, which had been nearly drowned in a cistern and was attacked in consequence by acute inflammation of the larynx, threatening death. The child was at once relieved after the operation and eventually recovered. It was in 1844 that his brother, CHESTER HARD, began the study of medicine in his office. Both moved ot Aurora in 1845.
Dr. O. HARVEY - Student at Franklin Medical School
Dr. S. B. HAWLEY studied medicine with his brother at Fairfax, Vermont, and before the Civil war practiced several years in Georgia and Alabama. He settled at Aurora in 1861. He served in the army one year as assistant surgeon of the 36th Illinois Infantry, then as surgeon of the 35th, and was subsequently made a division surgeon in the Army of the Cumberland. He was a prisoner for several months in Libby, Richmond, Virginia. Returning to Aurora after the war, he resumed practice, and died there November 26, 1877, aged 46 years.
Dr. G. HIGGINS was practicing in Aurora in 1858.
Dr. George HIGGINS came to Aurora with his parents in 1835 when a young lad. He graduated Rush Medical College, Chicago in 1850 an immediately began practine in Aurora.
Dr. A. W. HINMAN, a graduate of the Chicago Homoeopathic College of April 4, 1875, was practicing in St. Charles around 1878. In 1833 re moved to Dundee and was succeeded by Dr. L. B. LANE. a graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago.
Dr. Charles E. HOGEBOOM, whose ancestors were from Holland, located in St. Charles in 1872, being first introduced to the people by Dr. Crawford. He was a thorough student and a successful physician. Aftr some years he removed to Wisconsin.
HOPKINS brothers - Students at Franklin Medical School, St. Charles. One settled in DeKalb, the other in Oswego, IL.
Dr. Edwin B. HOWELL, son of Dr. O.D. HOWELL, graduated from the Chicago Medical College, June 30, 1874; and was one of the best educated physicians who ever resided in Aurora, having studied extensively in the best schools of Europe. His health failing, he went to California, in the hope of building up his shattered constitution. The trip proved unavailing and he died in the Golden state in the early part of 1887. His remains were returned to Aurora for internment.
Dr. O.D. HOWELL, was a native of Tompkins county, New York and 1840 graduate of Albany Medical College, New York. Before that he was a successful teacher. He came to Aurora in 1855 and entered practice. Among the public positions which he held were those of surgeon of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad and United States examining surgeon for pensions. He was also one of the founders of the Aurora National Bank and served as its president and one of of its directors until his death. It is also related that he delivered the first temperance lecture in Aurora. He served in the army as surgeon during the Rebellion. Dr. HOWELL died at Aurora, April 20, 1887, in the 70th year of his age.
Dr. P.B. HUBBARD
Dr. S.G. HUBBARD, who was in practice in Aurora in April 1858, had been located there for some time.
Dr. HUNTOON was located in Aurora as of 1849.
Dr. D. HURLBUT settled for several months in Aurora in the fall of 1858.
John E. HURLBUT of Aurora was a graudate of Wooster University, Cleveland, Ohio in 1861.
Dr. Almon K. IVES, graduate of the St.Louis Medical College, March 15, 1872 and practiced in Aurora.
Simeon P. IVES of Aurora was a graduate of St. Louis Medical College, March 3, 1866.
Dr. John JASSOY was a graduate of an institution at Berne, Switzerland, in 1846, and for a time surgeon in the Austrain Army. In 1850 he located at Naperville, Illlinois, removing to Aurora in 1861.. He was for two years surgeon of the 124th Illinois Infantry during the war of the Rebellion, and died at Aurora, November 21, 1876.
Frank Herbert JENKS of Aurora graduated Chicago Medical College, March 23, 1886.
Dr. H. JOHNSON Jr., homoeopathist, physician and surgeon arrived in Aurora in July of the 1850.
Dr. Sina JOHNSON, of Batavia, was a lady who practiced medicine beginning in 1864. She was licensed to continue by the Illinois State Board, April 22, 1879.
William E. JURDEN was in practice in Aurora in 1877.
E. KAROLY of Aurora was licensed to practice by the Illinois State Board, October 13, 1883.
S. KAROLY, a Hungarian physician was a November 6, 1883 graduate of the Medical Institute of Zilah.
Dr. David P. KAYNER graduated from Castleton Medical College of Castleton, Vermont on November 29, 1849. He then practiced in Ohio, northern Indiana and southern Michigan before arriving in St. Charles, Illinois after the close of the Civil War.
Dr. T. KERR
Dr. E. A. KILBOURNE "for many years superintendent of the Illinois Northern Hospital for the Insane, was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York City, in the spring of 1868. He retired from the insane Hosptial in the 1890's." This is was later known as Elgin State Hospital then Elgin Mental Health Center.
Dr. H. KNAPP was a monthly practicing visitor to Aurora.
Dr. Mary C. KNIGHT, who was graduated from the Woman's Hospital Medical College, Chicago, February 28, 1882, located in Aurora in the fall of the same year, succeeding to the practice of Dr. Lida E. GREEN, removed to Dakota. She had much experience in Chicago hospitals.
Dr. W. KRYMER appeared as a practitioner in 1859 in Aurora.
Lydia HOWELL LaBAUME, Aurora, graduated Woman's Hospital Medical College, Chicago on April 21, 1885.
Dr. Edith LAMBERT - St. Charles practiced with her husband Richard. She and her husband, Richard, founded a hospital on Main Street, in that community in 1913. She was also one of the founders of the St. Charles Mother's Club and operated a summer camp for children north of St. Charles.
Dr. Richard LAMBERT - St. Charles
Dr. L. B. LANE was a 1877 graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago. He was for several years physician to the missionaries at Bangkok, Siam, and previous to locating at St. Charles had been a resident of Geneva for some time.
Dr. William LeBARON, a native of North Andover, Massachusetts was graduated from Harvard Medical College in 1839 and settled at Geneva in October 1844. He was appointed state entomologist by Governor Palmer in 1870, holding the position four years. He practiced medicine in Geneva most of the time until October 1876 when he died.
E.H. LeDUC practiced in DuPage County for a number of years before locating in Aurora. He was a graduate of Chicago Medical College, March 1863.
Dr. James K. LEWIS - St. Charles, began practice in Illinois in 1853. He was the first mayor of St. Charles upon its incorporation as a city in 1874.
Dr. John F. LOCKWOOD was one of Batavia's popular and successful physicians, began practice in 1881.
Dr. Silas LONG announced April 12, 1848, through the columns of the Aurora Beacon, that he had removed from Jefferson (Big Rock) to Aurora, and had his residence and office the first door north of the old post office. He had practiced eight years in Jefferson and vicinicty before coming to Aurora. His son, Dr. S.O. LONG, was for many years a prominent physician of Big Rock.
Dr. H.Y. LONGACRE, a graduate of the University of Michigan (March 29, 1876) located his practice in St. Charles about 1885.
Dr. I.S.P. LORD of Aurora was a homeopathic physician who practiced in the county before 1848 and continued for many years.
Dr. O.A. LOVEJOY located in Aurora about 1855.
Dr. Carrie W. LOVELL was graduated June 28, 1883 from the Homoeopathic Medical College of Michigan.
Dr. N.J. LUND of Geneva was a native of Denmark. He graduated from the American University of Philadelphia, January 1, 1872. He came to Illinos in 1867.
Dr. Henry MADDEN was an early arrival in Geneva and became well known in both the county and state.
Dr. Aban L. MANN was graduated from Bennett Medical College Chicago, March 22, 1883.
Mrs. Annie W. MARTIN was graduated from the Hygeio-Therapeutic College, New York, in Mary 1867.
Dr. Lemuel McALPINE, was a graduate of Yale Medical College, New Haven Connecticut - March 4, 1830 who practiced in Aurora.
Dr. V.C. McCLURE - prior to 1847
Dr. S. McINTYRE a German botanic physician and surgeon, had an office and botanic store on Main Street in Aurora in March, 1848. It was one door east of Nathan Williams' grocery.
Dr. Samuel McNAIR, arrived in Kane County in 1844 from his native state of Pennsylvania. He was the second physician to settle in Blackberry, arriving in 1860. He was a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago in 1859. He studied medicine at Aurora, Cincinnati and Chicago, and was granted the first certificate awarded by the Illinois State Board of Health.
Dr. E.A. MERRIFIELD
Dr. Harry W. MERRILL, of Dundee, was a Rush Medical College, Chicago graduate on February 20, 1883.
Dr. George MESSNER, a Batavia physician started his practice in Illinois in 1846.
Pricilla G. MYERS an Aurora homeopathist, graduated Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago on February 26, 1885.
Dr. H. MILBACHER was graduated from the University of Munich, Bavaria, August 2, 1881, and in February, 1883 arrived at Aurora where he built an excellent practice.
Dr. Mason M. MILES, practiced in Aurora having graduated from the Reformed Medical College, New York, June 25, 1846. He arrived in Aurora about 1854. In 1886 he formed a partnership with Dr. George E. BASS, a native of Vermont. Dr. MILES was still practicing in Aurora in 1908.
Dr. Henry A. MILLER of Geneva was the first resident physician. He was a brother-in-law of Judge Isaac G. WILSON.
Dr. William R. MILLER was a somewhat eccentric and peculiar man, and resident of St. Charles for a number of years before 1855 when he moved to Wisconsin.
Dr. Able MILLINGTON, a native of Vermont, located, with his father's family, in an early day at Watertown, New York. He studied for the medical profession and after working his way through college located, about 1817, at Ypsilanti, Michigan, where he married, raised a family, and became wealthy. In 1837 he came west on a prospecting tour in search of a good location ofr his son DARWIN. The west side water power at St. Charles suited him and he purchased it. he commenced the erection of a flouring mill in the spring of 1838, but died in November of the same year, before his improvements were completed. It is not stated that Dr. MILLINGTON practiced his profession during the short duration of his residence in St. Charles.
Dr. James MILLS graduated the Chicago Medical college, March 27, 1883.
Dr. John Lee MILLS, of Elgin, was licensed to practice by the Illinois state Board September 14, 1880.
Mary A. MORRIS, practiced midwifery in Aurora from 1838, and was licensed to continue by the Illinois State Board March 29, 1878.
J.N. MORSE, of Aurora, a homeopathist, graduated Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago February 26, 1886.
Christopher D. MOWRY of Aurora was a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago, February 15, 1876.
Dr. William T. MURPHY, a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago (February 26, 1878) practiced in Aurora.
Dr. NASH - read medicine at Dr. DeWOLF's
Amelia NEILSON from Copenhagen, Denmark, was licensed by the Illinois State Board with an Aurora address on June 14, 1886, to practice midwifery.
Dr. NORTON was a promising young physician, who practiced about 1854-55, dying before he had time to develop his capabilities.
J.H. OWEN began practice in 1857 and arrived in Aurora about 1865.
Dr. N.H. PALMER of Sugar Grove Township is believed to be the first physician to locate in the county arriving before June 1835.
Dr. PALMER, who was located on the west side of the river very early, is said to have come in 1836, and to have been the second physician in Aurora.
Dr. O.T. PALMER, homeopathist, was for a number of years in practice in Aurora. In 1864 he removed to Iowa, and died at Oskaloosa, in that state June 6, 1874.
Dr. John PATTERSON of Batavia graduated from the Chicago medical College, March 12, 1872.
Dr. R.J. PATTERSON, physician in charge of the private asylum for the insane at Batavia, known as Bellevue Place, was graduated from Berkshire Medical College in 1842. He was formerly medical superintendent of the Indiana State Hospital for the Insane and later of the Iowa State Hospital for the Insane, and was once professor of medical jurisprudence in Chicago Medical College.
Dr. W.T. PATTERSON, who read medicine with Dr. PRICHARD, at Aurora, was graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, February 19, 1884.
Dr. Ora Levant PELTON practiced at Elburn before relocating to Elgin in 1882. He graduated from the University of Michigan, March 27, 1872, and from Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City, March 1, 1874. He was one of the leading surgeons of northern Illinois.
George L. PERRY of Aurora, graduated Dartmouth Medical College, Hanover, New Hampshire, October 29, 1878.
Dr. Elmore S. PETTYJOHN of Batavia became a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago on February 21, 1882.
Dr. E.K. PHILLIPS was a resident of Batavia before 1848.
Dr. J.L. PRIETO, a graduate of the University of Havana, Cuba practiced in Aurora in the mid 1800s.
Dr. Amelia A. PLATT, of Elgin, graduated Woman's Hospital Medical College, Chicago, receiving her degrees March 2, 1880.
Dr. E.B. PLUMB was graduated from the Chicago Medical College, March 28, 1882.
Dr. F.L. POND, proprietor of the Aurora Cancer Hospital, was a native of Vermont, and attended medical lectures at Dartmouth College. In 1869 he removed to Chicago, and finally, in 1872, located at Aurora, and established the hospital which became so famous. Dr. POND was also graduated in 1872 from the United States Medical College, New York.
James M. POSTLE, of Aurora, graduated from the medical department of the University of Michigan, June 25, 1885.
Dr. Penn W. RANSOM, who was graduated from the Chicago Medical College, March 4, 1879, practiced in Aurora until April 1887, when he and other physicians opened a fine sanitarium at Rockford for the board and treatment of patients. Dr. RANSOM was especially skilled in surgery, and was the first to introduce in Aurora, the antiseptic treatment of wounds, which proved very successful.
Henry REDER, of Aurora was a graduate of the University of Michigan, March 25, 1868.
Aaron J. REDDING, graduate of the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio, received his degree May 23, 1871. His credentials listed an Aurora address.
Dr. William C. REEVES graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, February 17, 1885 and began his practice in Elgin thereafter.
Lewis C.RICE who practiced in Aurora was a graduate of Philadelphia Medical College, February 28, 1856.
Marvin S. RICE, a homeopathist, graduated Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago, February 10, 1876. He practiced in Aurora.
Dr. G.W. RICHARD's arrived in St. Charles from Manlius, Onondoga County, NY about 1842. A "man of fine physique, well educated and possessed of undoubted ability, but perhaps inclined to be a little too independent and haughty toward people generally. He had a large practice and was the most prominent physician in the region." It was said he had the names of 3/4ths of the people of St Charles on his books in 1846, treating them for chills and fever. He was the leader, in February 1843, in the organization of a medical school in St. Charles, which was regularly chartered and known as Franklin Medical College. The trustees for St.Charles were HORACE BANCROFT, WILLIAM ROUNSEVILLE, LOCIUS FOOTE, J. S. CHRISTIAN, ALEXANDER H. BAIRD, LEANARD HOWARD and STEVEN S. JONES. The cahirs of various professorships were filled by Drs. G.W. RICHARDS, NICHOLAS HARD, JOHN THOMAS, and EDWARD MEADE. This faculty gave a single course of lectures to a class of fifteen or twenty students in 1843-44. Among the students were ORPHEUS EVERTS, who married a daughter of Dr. RICHARD's; ADDISON DANFORTH, R.I. THOMAS, another of Dr. Richards' sons-in-law, JEROME F. WEEKS, Dr. BUNKER who died a few years later in Oregon, Illinois; TORREY; KING; HARVEY; two HOPKINS brothers; who settled in DeKalb and Oswego, Illinois and JOHN ROOD. It is thought Dr. DANIEL D. WAITE may have also been connected with the school.
See RICHARD's RIOT
Dr. Sumner J. RICKER, homeopathist, was a graduate of Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago, February 22, 1871 who practiced in Aurora.
Dr. Monroe M. ROBBINS graduated Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York on March 1, 1865 and became a well known Aurora practitioner.
Dr. Anson ROOT came from Genesee county, New York about 1838. After a year or so at Batavia he became an Elgin resident. He had practiced medicine for many years in New York and continued to some extent after arriving in Illinois. He died at Elgin in 1866 at age 80 years. His son ANSON ROOT was over 80 years of age and still living in Elgin in 1908.
Dr. George W. RUMSEY, a homoeopathis, succeeded Dr. Coe at St. Charles after the war and engaged in successful practice for several years. he moved west about 1877 and soon after died.
Dr. E. SANFORD
James SELKIRK of Aurora was a graduate of Albany Medical College, New York on March 5, 1884.
Harvey S. SEYMOUR of Aurora was a graduate of Chicago Homeopathic Medical College, March 1, 1883.
Dr. W.A. SHEPARD, a Dundee homeopathist, was graduated from Hahnemann Medical College, Chicago on March 15, 1887.
Mrs. Catherine B. SLATER, M.D. was for three years a successful teacher in the West Aurora High School, and during the time studied medicine with Mrs. Dr. BROWN. She was graduated from the Woman's College and Hospital, Chicago, in 1879.
Dr. Z.T. SLATER studied medicine with Dr. N. HARD, at Aurora, and was graduated at LaPorte, Indiana about 1848. He began practice at Shabbona, DeKalb County, Illinois but about 1851 removed to Battle Creek, Michigan, where he practiced until his death, in January 1876. He was never a resident practitioner of Kane County.
Courtney SMITH of Aurora graduated Rush Medical College, Chicago on February 25, 1879.
Dr. SMITH, was the first physician to settle in Blackberry, arriving in 1856.
Dr. Abiram SPAULDING, a native of Washington County, New York, attended medical lectures at Brooklyn, New York, and began practice at Jersey City in 1845. In 1847 he came west and located at Aurora, engaging in the jewelry business, but subsequently returned from this and resumed practice as an electropathic physician, in which he continued many years.
Dr. Alfred L. STEEN, formerly of Massachusetts, was practicing in Aurora in 1858.
Dr. Charles A. STONE graduated from Chicago Homoeopathic Medical College in 1877 and immediately located his in Elgin, where he engaged in the drug business. He later moved to Belvidere.
Dr. William G. STONE practice in Elgin, having graduated from Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York City, March 1, 1878.
Mrs. Charlotte F. STRINGER, M.D. of Aurora, studied two years in New York City as early as 1839-40, and about 1848-49 located in Aurora. February 24, 1874, she was graduated from the Woman's Hospital Medical College, Chicago after a three year course.
Angeline SWIFT, of Aurora, an Eclectic began practice in 1855.
Dr. Erastus TEFFT
Dr. Joseph TEFFT was a graduate of the College of Medicine of Woodstock, Vermont, June 5, 1833. He had practiced for a short time in the east before he and Dr. Nathan Collins arrived together in Kane County on a wagon from Medina County, New York about November 7th, 1835. Tefft made a claim on the east side of the Fox River at South Elgin. He was also the first to treat a patient, that being a young woman who later became Mrs. LADD. (She and her husband later lived several miles west of Elgin.) She was living with the Abbott family near South Elgin, then known as Clintonville.
In 1838 Dr. Tefft sold all his property in preparation for his move to what became the City of Elgin. He rented a small log home which stood where the Lord Home later was erected on Villa Court and Chicago Street. However, before he could move in it was sold to Dr. ELMORE. Tefft proceeded to his farm, a mile east of Elgin, and obtained materials and built the first frame dwelling on the spot were city hall later stood.
His practice extended from the south line of the township, northward for 20 miles or more and a similar distance east and west. He traveled on an old gray horse, which was well known to the early settlers.
Dr. Tefft was one of the oldest practitioners in the State of Illinois, having done so for more than fifty years. However, for some years prior to his death in 1888, his practice was limited to consulting.
Dr. Leslie Eugene TEFFT, son of Dr. Joseph TEFFT, followed in the footsteps of his parents by choosing the same profession. He was graduated from Rush Medical College, February 15, 1887.
Dr. John THOMAS, came after 1840 to St. Charles and became a journalist, starting the newspaper in February 1842.
Dr. R.I. THOMAS - Student at Franklin Medical School, St. Charles. He and Dr. EVERTS both moved to LaPorte, Indiana.
Dr. George King TILLOTSON graduated from Rush Medical College of Chicago on February 15, 1876 and practiced thereafter in St. Charles for a few years before moving to McHenry County.
Dr. C. TORRY - prior to 1847. He had been a student of Dr. RICHARDS at St. Charles Medical School.
Dr. D.K. TOWN a native of Granville, New York settled in Batavia in 1839 and was the communities first physician. He attended medical lectures at New Haven, Connecticut, and began practice at Hudson, Ohio remaining there a few years before coming to Batavia. He engaged in practice until about 1862 when he retired and entered the real estate business. From the time of his locating in Batavia he was always interested in all public enterprises which promised to be of benefit to the place and was one of the founders of the Batavia Institute.
Dr. Bernard TRIBELHORN, a native of Switzerland, and a graduate of the University of Berne, October 1, 1869, came to Aurora from Mendota, in 1877, and enjoyed a good practice. He died July 6, 1879.
Dr. T.M. TRIPLETT, specialist in treating diseases of the throat and chest also scrofulous difficulties, located in Aurora in March 1884. He was graduated from the Homeopathic College of Missouri, February 28, 1878, and had been in practice for years before coming to Aurora.
Dr. Pierce TYRREL, considered one of the ablest microscopical examiners in Kane County, was graduated in 1866 from the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio. His home was in Elgin in 1908.
Dr. F.H. VanLIEW was for many years a successful and highly respected homoeopathic physician in Aurora. He was a native of New York who settled in Aurora in 1852. He taught in the public schools for two years, then studied medicine and was graduated from the Western Homoeopathic College, Cleveland, Ohio, commencing practice in Aurora in 1858. He became very prominent in his profession and taught a large number of young men in the study of medicine.
Dr. Louis VanPATTEN graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago in 1884. For some two years he practiced in Elburn, leaving for St. Charles in 1886. He had formerly been engaged in the drug business with his father at St. Charles and in the practice of dental surgery at that place and Elgin.
Dr. Isaac M. VORHEES was graduated from Wooster Medical College, Cleveland, Ohio, February 28, 1877. He practiced at Detroit, Michigan until December 1879 when he came to Aurora.
Dr. Daniel D. WAITE from Tompkins County, New York, settled in West St. Charles in 1842. Although he never practiced to any great extent, he was for many years a prominent and respected citizen. He may have been connected with the Franklin Medical School. He died in Chicago after the Civil War.
Dr. WALDO arrived in St. Charles shortly after Dr. DeWOLF came. he was buried in the old cemetery in east St. Charles.
Dr. J.S. WATSON of Blackberry was graduated from the University of Michigan in 1881. He succeeded Dr. Pelton in 1882 and built a fine practice. Dr. WATSON was associated for two years with Dr. Louis VanPATTEN, who removed to St. Charles in 1886.
Dr. Jerome F. WEEKS was a native of Cattaraugus County, New York who arrived in Illinois in 1836. He attended lectures at Franklin Medical School in 1846 as well as Indiana University and graduated from Rush Medical College, of Chicago, February 22, 1849. He settled in Marseilles, Illinois and was not present at the time of Richard's Riot. He later practiced for 13 years at Peru, Illinois andwas the surgeon of the 51st Illinois Infantry. After the Civil War he opened a practice in Chicago which he maintained after returning to St.Charles in 1882. He died suddenly November 12, 1886 at 66 years of age.
Dr. N. A. WELD was a graduate of Bennett Medical College of Chicago in 1870.
Dr. Salem E. WELD, was a hospital steward during the Civil War for teh 127th Illinois Infantry, and afterward commander of the division hospital (2nd Division, 15th Army Corp.) was a native of Elgin. He completed his medical training at Eclectic Medical College - Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating in 1866. After practicing 6 months in Elgin he opened an office in St. Charles, where he remained until December 15, 1868. He acquired prominence for his skill both as a physician and surgeon. In 1868 he entered the drug business in Eglin with his cousin, Russell WELD.
Dr. WHIPPLE - purchased a claim in the northeast part of St. Charles township, in 1836, and in 1840 built the first brick house in the then village - now City of St.Charles. He was a member of the old school of medicine and noted for his practice of what medical men termed "heroic treatment". He died about 1842, or possibly a little later.
Dr. Edward E. WHITEHORNE of Batavia was a graduate of Albany Medical College, New York, Febrary 3, 1878.
Dr. H.K. WHITFORD, a prominent Elgin physician, was graduated from Eclectic Medical Instititute, Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1860, having read medicine and practiced extensively in early years. He came to Elgin in 1856. He occupied the chair of professor of principles and practice of medicine and pathology and clinic medicine in Bennett Medical College, Chicago, a position he filled beginning 1868.
Dr. Susan K. WHITFORD, of Elgin, attended Bennett Eclectic College, Chicago, from which she received her diploma as physician and surgeon.
Dr. P.M. WHITTEN entered practice having graduated November 22, 1864, from Berkshire Medical College, Massachusetts.
Dr. George WILBUR
Dr. James Sprague WILKIN, graduated February 22, 1862 from the University of Buffalo, New York and moved to St. Charles about 1877-78, later moving to Chicago.
Dr. H.W. WILLIAMS of Batavia began his practice of medicine in Illinois about 1848. He also served as Kane County Coroner.
Dr. E. WINCHESTER
Dr. William WINCHESTER began practice in 1859 in Elgin and became a leading physician.
Robert A. WINDETT, a graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago on February 15, 1887, located in Aurora.
Charles E. WINSLOW of Aurora was admitted to practice upon a thorough examination by the Illinois State Board, April 13, 1880.
Dr. L.A. WINSLOW was in practice in Aurora , having graduated February 26, 1857 from the Keokuk Medical College of Keokuk, Iowa.
Dr. George D. WOODS was in practice in Aurora in 1856, and licensed to continue by the Illinois State Board, August 19, 1878.
Charles WOODWARD, of Aurora, was a graduate of Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati, Ohio on June 3, 1879.
Dr. Delos W. YOUNG, a native of Montgomery County, New York, removed with his parents to Kendall County, Illinois, in June 1841, and in 1847, when eighteen years old, commenced the study of medicine with Dr. Nicholas HARD at Aurora. He recieved his medical diploma from Iowa University at Keokuk in 1851 and entered practice. He won a splendid reputation as a physician and surgeon, few in the state surpassing him. He located in Aurora previous to 1855 and was in partnership with Dr. Abner HARD. He was surgeon of the 36th Infantry during the war of the Rebellion, resigning in 1864. He was several times elected to the Aurora City Council, was mayor from 1864 to 1866, served on the Board of Supervisors three years, etc. He was identified with all movements looking to the advancement of the city's interests and was particularly interested in school matters. The "Young School" building was named in his honor. The struggles of his earlier years were rewarded by the success of his after life, and when he died, spetember 8, 1874, his death was sincerely mourned.
Dr. YOUNG read medicine at Dr. DeWOLF's
Dr. John ZAHN, a native of Prussia came to America in 1860. He graduated from Rush Medical College, Chicago, January 21, 1863, then spent a year and a half at Vienna, pursuing his studies. He traveled back and forth between the United States and Prussia until 1878, when he located in Elgin.
Source: History of Kane County by Joslyn & Joslyn, 1908.
Copyright © 1999 Send Mail
Last Updated 10-Nov-1999 KaneCoIL@aol.com
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids