Kane County, Illinois
The Illinois State Legislature created the County of Kane on
This page starts with an overview of the county history and is followed by numerous pages of information on the communities of Kane county and it's people.
"Around 1671 the Frenchmen LaSALLE & HENNEPIN explored what is now Northern Illinois and claimed it for France. The English did not concede this claim, but asserted that the New England states extended (by virture of the grants on which they were based) from the Atlantic to the Pacific ocean. As a result the French and Indian War came to pass 1754 to 1763. " *
Kane County is approximately 20 miles long and 18
It consists of sixteen townships that comprise 522 square miles.
1833<>First Settler - There appears to be disagreement as to the "first settler" in what was later to be Kane County. Several sources site DANIEL S. HAIGHT & Mr. BROWN. They reportedly arrived in June 1833, but left for several months because of "Indian trouble". "The 1871 Atlas and History of Kane County, Illinois" states Captain C.B. DODSON, Col. Nathaniel LYON and others report CHRISTOPHER PAYNE of North Caroline settled one mile east of Batavia in October, 1833. >
First Store - C.B. DODSON built the first store and first saw mill in the county in the summer of 1834 at Clybournville.
First School - Mr. KNOWLS of Vermont taught the first school in Col. NATHANIEL LYON's log cabin, one mile east of Batavia.
First Settler Child - was Dodson Vanderventer was born in Big Woods October 10, 1834.
First Church - Batavia was home to the first religious organization - the Congregational Church - the actual building came in 1840.
First Post Office was at Herrington's Ford (now Geneva) and known as LaFox. JAMES HERRINGTON was postmaster and "DADDY WILSON" carried the mail on horseback between Naperville and Genoa once every two weeks.
The Nation in 1835
"The coming of the pioneers, who swept like a wave over the middle western states after the French and Indian war, reached northern Illinois about 1830, during the first administration of ANDREW JACKSON as president. The general population of the United States then numbered about thirteen million, having more than doubled since the War of Independence; mostly by natural growth, the later foreign immigration not having yet begun. The center of population was near the west line of Maryland. It is now near Indianapolis, Indiana. Less than ten per cent of the people lived in cities of over 8,000. Now over fourty-five per cent are in such cities. *
Chicago was a distant settlement known as Fort Dearborn, and contained 400 or 500 people. There were but three millionaires in the entire country. The nation was yet largely composed of agriculturists and backwoodsmen hunters."*
First 4th of July Celebration at Elgin
First Flour Mill - H. BOARDMAN and Van NORTWICK built the first flour mill in Batavia
First Surveys - The government surveys of the county started.
Letter by Daniel Pingree of Udina describing Kane County - This offers excellent insite as to why a settler would select Kane County.
First Newspaper - The St. Charles Patriot was published by JOHN THOMAS.
First Land Sales - were sold by the government.
1845 & 1846
Report of Sales of School Land in Kane County - sellers & prices
First Railroad - A 2.5 mile line called the "St. Charles Branch" connected the old G.& C.U.R.R. four miles east of St.Charles
Annual Agricultural Exhibits begin
Kane County Agricultural Society organized May 18, 1857
Source: History of Kane County by Joslyn & Joslyn, 1908
US Patent Office Grants, Marshall B. Gardner of Aurora, Kane County, Illinois, patent for his theory that the earth is hollow.
Biographical Info (History of Kane County, Illinois 1908 Bio Index) & Links
Indians - Pottawatomie
Indian Dress - Under Construction
Photos - Tours & Views with Postcards of Yesteryear
The Pioneer - Rail Road Engine
Copyright © 1999 - 2004 Send Mail
Thursday, 04-Nov-2004 04:41:56 MST KaneCountyIL@yahoocom