Hammond Station - stop on Chicago & Pacific Railway at S.E. corner of Elgin city limits - Hammonds Grove.
Kane County, Illinois
Do you remember the barn that looked just like this in the 1950s, south of Elgin?
Elgin & South Elgin are available for Adoption.
Would you be willing to help?
Elgin Area Map (Northern Illinois)
Elgin is in both
Kane and Cook Counties
be aware of that when seeking records.
James HANKS explored the area. Use link to see letters and correspondence that likely brought other settlers.
First Settler - JAMES T. and HEZKIAH GIFFORD
First Births - Spring:
Louisa Kimball daughter of John & Lydia KIMBALL;
Charlotte, daughter of Sidney and Martha KIMBALL;
Joseph KIMBALL was born later by some months.
First Store - Storrs & Bean - The contractor a man named BARNUM who lived elsewhere
First Carpenter - WILLIAM S. SHAW
First Death - MARY ANN KIMBALL, sister of P.J. KIMBALL.
First School - Miss HARRIET E. GIFFORD taught the first school in the log cabin of JAMES T. GIFFORD which was near Prairie & Villa Streets.
Elgin Academy Chartered by Solomon HAMILTON, Colton KNOX, George McCLURE, Vincent C. LOVELL, Luther HERRICK, Reuben JENNE, and Burgess TRUESDELL
Presidential Election, 1840 - Lake Precinct List of Voters
First School House Built - By private subscription.
High School built
Dr. P.W. PRATT began a fisher hatchery and enclosed a park 70 acre park known then as "Cedar Swamp" by locals. It was located on the east side of the river 1 1/2 miles north of the city. The many springs in this "Trout Park" fed the ponds where young salmonaide were raised. Some of the springs were believed to have medicinal values. Elk and deer were also stocked in the park which became a popular resort for pleasure seekers, "especially Germans form Chicago". Dr. W. A PRATT continued to improve the facility after hsi fathers death in 1872.
Elgin population reaches 5, 441
A fine fountain was placed on Fountain Square, the site was previously known as Market Square.
Elgin population reaches 7,300
January 1st. - Death of first white woman who arrived in Elgin area - Mrs. Mary Jane GIFFORD, wife of Hexekiah GIFFORD.
January 13th - Gail BORDEN died in Borden, Texas just after making arrangements to permanently move to Elgin.
Public Library of Elgin opened March 19, 1874. L.H. YARWOOD was the first librarian. It was actually established in 1872 and $3000 was raised through taxation.
Chicago & Pacific Railroad was completed to Byron, 58 miles west of Elgin.
Elgin population reaches 8000.
May 6th - William C. KIMBALL & Roswell SMITH
Elgin population reaches 10,000
D.C. Cook Publishing Company moved to Elgin and occupied the old woolen mill. It immediately employed some 350 people.
Elgin suffered in the depression and many factories were closed.
D.C. Cook Publishing built on 13 acres of the former Lovell Farm along the Fox River Valley Railroad.
Elgin population reaches 25,000
Source: Kane County History by Joslyn & Joslyn, 1908
1885 The Western Card Co. was organized.
1899 February (Elgin Courier News 02/07/1999 by Mike Alft)
Business's that didn't make history. Link - Elgin Courier article 11/22/98 by Mike Alft
1896 Susan B. Anthony -- a national women's rights leader -- visited, meeting with the women workers at the Elgin Watch Company.
1903 - 1923
The Elgin Road Races were held most of the years between 1910 to 1920 in conjunction with the Elgin Automobile Road Race Association, headed by Fred W. Jencks. See Elgin Courier news 9/23/99
1957 The Milk Pail Restuarant was featured in Life magazine as being one of the top 10 restaurants in the country. Link - 12/20/98 Elgin Courier article
Bartlett is part of this school district. Parts of Bartlett are also in Cook and DuPage Counties. So, if your missing relative met someone from Bartlett at school and later married, they might be "hiding" in those counties.
Elgin Area Information
American Legion Post 57 of Elgin, Illinois (at Elgin Genealogical Society)
Don't Get Lost! Book Mark This Site Before Leaving
Down Town Neighborhood Revitalization Association Tour (a few of the historic sites)
Teeple Barn -16-sided Teeple Barn at I-90 and Randall Road.
Teeple Barn (different link) was built in 1885 by dairy farmer Lester Teeple, and designed by Elgin architect W.W. Abell. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was listed as one of the Ten Most Endangered Places in Illinois for 1999 by the Landmarks Preservation Council of Illinois. Historic Preservation Specialist Sarosh Saher, 847-931-5943.
Heritage Commission Sites
470 Arlington Avenue built in 1902 by M. & L. Schranck
943 Bellvue Avenue built in 1926 by E. Fierke
568 Brook Street built in 1893 by F. Müller
721 Douglas Avenue built in 1923 by R. S. Lord
733 Douglas Avenue built in 1891 by W. Hart
912 Douglas Avenue built in 1908 by E. H. Cutter
1025 Douglas Avenue built in 1924 by C. A. Rinehimer
43 DuPage Court built in 1892 by J. W. Ranstead
352 North Street built in 1910 by D.F. Barclay, Jr.
470 Park Street built in 1886 by J. L. Sheehan
327 Walnut Avenue built in 1900 by Pegler
The Elgin Tower Building - 100 East Chicago Street
Completed in 1929 by the St. Louis Bank Building & Equipment Company, this 15 story 186 foot Art Deco building was designed to house Home National Bank and Home Trust & Savings Bank.
The Professional Building - 164 Division Street
Completed in 1928, this Gothic Style building was designed as offices for doctors, lawyers, insurance agencies, and dentists.
Landmarks from the 1920s (Elgin Courier Link)
E.C. "Mike" Alft - author, educator and historian who once served as the city's mayor.
David F. Barclay for whom Barclay Park is named - 05/30/1999 Elgin Courier News article by Mike Alft
Myra (Colby) Bradwell (1831-1905): The first woman to pass the Illinois Bar Exam, later refused an attorney's license because of her gender.
Robert A. Frahm - Police Officer - Died: 12/04/75
Judge Hewitt was born in Oppinham, Montgomery County, New York, in 1809. While he was a small boy, his family moved to Dundee, Illinois, and later to Elgin, Illinois, where he studied law.
James T. Gifford - Elgin Founder moved to Grafton, Wisc
Lillian (Rapp) McDonald (1899-1957) - became Elgin's first woman airplane pilot (in 1931) and began riding motorcyces in 1950.
Edward J. and William H. O'Beirne (link to Elgin Courier 05/16/1999 article)
Arwin E. Price "The Drunken Mayor" article Elgin Courier
Charles (Elgin Slim) H. Struckman - Police Officer (link to Elgin Courier by Mike Alft)
Alexander Tyler - Veterinarian
Genealogy/Home Page Links
Family Linked Medical Problem MHaus - Malignant Hyperthermia
Company Biographies & Info
Burns Pharmacy Elgin druggist Fred Burns. Burns served up Burns Malts at the soda fountain in his Burns Pharmacy, at Bluff City Boulevard and St. Charles Street on Elgin's south side.
Clearbrook Farm - Milk Pail
D.C. Cook Publishing
Elgin Sweeper (street cleaning)
Dr. John O. Butler (tooth brushes)
Max McGraw Wildlife Foundation.
Clubs & Organizations
Crime - Fires - Disasters Etc.
Elgin Academy - (chartered in 1839)Elgin Academy College Prep School for grades k-12
Administration Office 350 Park, Elgin, IL 847/695-0303
St. Mary's Academy 112 Villa St (1880 - 1925) (Elgin Courier 01/03/1999 link)
Elgin Mental Health Hospital
Elgin State Hospital - Human Radiation Studies 1930's
Elgin Mental Health Hospital (Once known as Illinois Northern Hospital for the Insane)
Points of Interest
This is the place for you to share your memories of "Old" Elgin. Send Mail
Scottish Heritage (Elgin Courier article)
Resources - Kane County & It's Communities
Old Cemetery Channing St.(Elgin Courier link 1-10-99 article)
Magazines & Misc. (Genetic Diseases, Other Resources & Anything Else)
Copyright © 1999 Send Mail
Last Updated 10-Oct-1999 KaneCoIL@aol.com