(and later ones too)
Aurora City Hospital - Aurora - Opened in 1886
Bellevue Place - 333 S. Jefferson Street, Batavia, IL
One of the most well known patients was Mary Todd Lincoln, wife of President Abraham Lincoln who was there for four months during the summer of 1875. Operated by Dr. Patterson.
Brightside Sanitarium - 299 North Lake Street, Aurora - Was opened in 1910 by Dr. Garrett Norton of St. Charles. As the name suggests it held the optimistic spirit.
Colonial Hospital of Geneva
Community Hospital - was located just south of the Kane County Court House in Geneva, before it was torn down. It merged with Delnor Hospital of St. Charles. There is a new facility on Randall Road, known as Delnor Community Hospital.
Copley Hospital - Aurora
Delnor Hospital was located in the 900 block of North Fifth Avenue, St. Charles from about 1933 until the opening of Delnor Community Hospital on Randall Road. It started as a 35 bed facility but over the years expanded to over 100 beds. It was named for Delora Norris, the well known benefactor of St. Charles. Jack Taft was administrator for many years. Bill Fisher was a longtime member of the Board of Directors. Delora Norris stopped in frequently and members of the Norris family volunteered in many capacities.
Delnor Community Hospital, is the state of the art facility which replaced both Geneva Community Hospital and Delnor Hospital and is located on the west side, off Randall Road in Geneva, IL.
(Once known as Illinois Northern Hospital for the Insane)
Illinois Hospital for the Insane - Elgin State Hospital - South Elgin State Hospital
Elgin State Hospital - Human Radiation Studies 1930's
Lambert General Hospital was located at 316 West Main Street, St. Charles, from 1913 to 1925, being operated by Dr. R.J. and Edith LAMBERT. The building was later known as the Moose Building. After the Moose Lodge vacated, it became a rooming house and most recently has been occupied by various businesses. It still stands today.
Mercy Center - Aurora - Catholic Hospital
Mooseheart Memorial Hospital (maybe not so "early")
Sherman Hospital - Elgin
St. Charles Hospital - Aurora - A Catholic Hospital opened in large brick home on North Fourth Street.
St. Charles City Hospital was located at North Second and Park Avenues, St. Charles, overlooking Pottawatomi Park. It operated from 1925 to 1935 with some 20 beds. It was the former residence of Dr. H.C. GILLETTE. Dr. Charles POTTER was the Chief of Staff. It is again a private residence.
St. Joseph's Hospital - Elgin - Catholic Hospital
Swedish Cholera Hospital was a temporary facility organized by Dr. Henry M. CRAWFORD in response to the epidemic.
Tuberculosis Sanitarium - Aurora
Sources: History of Kane County by Joslyn & Joslyn 1908, personal knowledge,
Copyright © 1999 Send Mail
Last Updated 10-Nov-1999 KaneCoIL@aol.com
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids