Rockville - Catsville
Please adopted this area, or send in additional information.
The township names comes from Big Rock creek. William COON was the first blacksmith. WALBY opened the first store.
The first settler was "Shanty" COOK who arrived in 1835 with his family. His home became the "hotel", there being no other shelter.
W.H. PERRY and William PERRY settled.
JUSTICE AMENT arrived in the fall, making three families in the settlement.
J.W. SWAN arrived in January from Vermont. With him traveled Percy TAYLOR.
John PIERCE settled.
Joseph SUMMERS and Robert NASH arrived from Oneida County, New York.
Edward WHIDDON had settled.
Alex HALL of Greenfield, Massachusetts came in.
Robert FISHER settled.
George PECK and Paul COLBURN settled in 1836 or 37.
J.L. LAMSON came by stage from Chicago with a ticket to Big Rock creek. He was dropped off about dark, with not a house of civilized being within sight. He finally located the COOK cabin, but found the entire floor filled with "guests" who had stopped over for the night. In those days, every cabin was a hotel.
L.D. BRADY and Jesse BRADY settled.
COON and MASSEY built the first saw mill on Big Rock creek, just below Rockville, then Catsville
Maurice PRICE arrived.
Isaac HATCH of New York settled and became prominent.
James HATCH arrived.
Thomas W. GLASPOOL arrived
Joseph SUMMERS opened the first tavern, and his house was made a post office, then named ACASTO. It was changed to Big Rock in 1849.
Orson BROOKS was the first postmaster.
S. SAMSON from New York arrived
Robert NORTON and Silas LONG came from Ohio.
Shepard JOHNSON came from new York.
Daniel & David Evans arrived.
Thomas JONES is believed to have arrived.
Colin AMENT taught school in a log cabin. The school trustees were: Alexis HALL, Joseph SUMMERS, J.E. SMITH, S.W. LAMSON, and J.W. SWAN.
Richard DAVIS arrived
Rev. George LEWIS preached to the Congregationalists.
William DUGAN settled
James A. DAVIS came in.
The school house on E. WHIDDON's property opened.
Z. SQUIRES arrived from Cortland, New York.
Welsh Congregational Church was dedicated with Rev. John DANIEL as pastor.
Big Rock Congregational church was erected.
Chicago and Iowa Railroad ran through the township.
Baptist Church was built.
Source: History of Kane County by Joslyn & Joslyn 1908
Magazines & Misc. (Genetic Diseases, Other Resources & Anything Else)
Copyright © 2000 Send Mail
Last Updated 10-Oct-1999 KaneCoIL@aol.com
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids