Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Main Page

Taintor, Rose, Skinner

Michael Taintor and Elizabeth Rose


Compiled by Judy & Gary Griffin, 2007 - email address





Charles Taintor

Variously spelled Taintor, Tentor, Tayntor, Teynter, Taynter, Tainter.

Charles Taintor, father of Michael Taintor, was in New England in 1643 and may have been lost at sea in 1654. His wife’s name is unknown. According to Savage: (2) “Charles, Wethersfield 1643, rem. to Fairfield, said by tradit. to have come from Wales, with ch. Michael, Charles, Joseph, and Mary, and the same doubtf. autho. wh. takes care only of Michael, sends Charles the s. to Virg. a. 1656, and makes the f. lost at sea 1654. Perhaps he had no s. Charles, but was a merch. and may have been lost on coast. voyage, or in the sh. of Capt. Garrett, founder. 1657. His d. Mary m. 27 Nov. 1662, it is said, Thomas Pierson.” “Michael, [of] Branford, an early sett. perhaps s. more prob. younger br. of Charles, for no single circumstance is kn. to prove there were two call. Charles . . .” According to C. M. Taintor: (3) “Charles Taintor, of South Wales, migrated to America, with his family in consequence of religious persecution; was deprived of a large estate in Wales, by conclusion – his home was Fairfield, Conn. – he was a commercial man, – was intrusted in foreign voyages and was lost at sea with Mr. Jagger, in Oct. 1654, with whom he was probably part-owner of the ship – he possessed real estate in Fairfield, which was sold by his sons Charles, Jr. and Michael, in 1656, to John Burr.”

C. W. Taintor also stated that “R. Hinman, late Secretary of State fox Conn., has recently published the names of the first settlers of Conn., from 1635 to 1665, and he has discovered that “ Taynter was a deputy in 1643, and 1646, and frequently held offices.” On the same authority, I learn that a Taintor was in “Windsor in 1643; only 6 years after the settlement of that town.”

An extensive genealogy of the Taintor family was completed by Starr Taintor, and much of the information below is from his work. (4)

Charles Taintor. The date and place of Charles Taintor’s birth unknown. All accounts of him found agree that he emigrated with his family from Wales to America before 1640, but as to just how much of a family accompanied him, or the exact date of his arrival is apparently not recorded. Hinman in his book Connecticut Names states that Charles Taintor was in Connecticut as early as 1640. Hinman lists Charles Taintor among the first settlers of Wethersfield and states he was there in 1640 though he may have been there earlier. He owned property in Wethersfield in 1643, situated on the west side of High Street, the second lot north of Fort Street (now Prison Street). His Wethersfield property was sold to Josiah Churchill when he moved to Fairfield.

Charles Taintor was Deputy to the General Court from Wethersfield in 1643 and 1644. He moved from Wethersfield to Fairfield about 1647, and was Deputy from Fairfield in 1647 and 1648. He owned property in Fairfield which was sold in 1656 to John Burr from the Fairfield records as follows “June 14, 1656 John Burr hath purchased of Charles Tainter and Michael Taintor, the following parcels of land and housing as by a deed under their hands bearing date June 14, 1656, may appear viz; One house-lot bounded east by Common Street, with the buildings thereon. Five acres of land in Old Field, four and 1/2 acres of meadow in Sascoe Neck.”

Atwater in his History of the Colony of New Haven states that Charles Taintor was lost at sea. Other accounts state he was lost in company with Jeremiah Jagger of Stamford. If so, his death occurred on June 14, 1658, since the Stamford Town Records give this date as Jagger’s death. Atwater says Jagger was master of a trading vessel and went to the West Indies about 1654 and died abroad August 14, 1658. Charles Taintor’s will was probated October 20, 1658. (5) Administration of his estate was granted to his son Michael December 1 [or 7], 1659 as per Hartford Probate Records.

Further description of Charles Taintor’s property in Wethersfield is contained in a record of land holdings of early inhabitants. Made by Sherwin W. Adams Esq. of Wethersfield. “A piece of 6 acres of land on the West Side of High Street between George Hubbard’s North and Mr. Swaine’s South. It was originally the Gildersleeve homestead. Taintor sold it to Josiah Churchill and soon removed to Fairfield.” In 1659 Josiah Churchill recorded a deed of land which he had bought of Mr. Charles Taintor in Little West Field on the south of the present Jordan Lane. (6)

From references to Charles Taintor in Colonial and subsequent records, it is assumed that he moved from Wethersfield about 1644, possibly to be near his daughter Marie, who the Fairfield Court records established as the wife of John Banks of Fairfield. John Banks also settled in Fairfield about 1644, coming from Windsor where he was Town Clerk in 1643. Wethersfield was one of the oldest settlement in the state. Since most of the original settlers came from the Massachusetts Bay Colony, it is likely that Charles Taintor came from there. His name has not been found among the emigrants to America between 1630 and 1640; but since he is recorded as a sea-faring man, he could have come to America in his own ship prior to his appearance in Wethersfield. He is recorded as an early settler and property owner in Wethersfield and was probably a man of consequence, since he represented Wethersfield in the General Court in 1643 and 1644 and Fairfield in 1647 and 1648. His son Michael/Micaiell, who married a daughter of Robert and Margery Rose of Wethersfield, was an early settler of Branford. Through this son and his wife Elizabeth Rose, the Connecticut family of Taintors descend. There are many references to Charles Taintor, his sons and daughter Marie in early Connecticut records, but none of his wife. Either he was a widower at the time he emigrated or his wife died soon after.

The Stamford Town Records, p. 45 mention a Charles Taintor: “Henery Jackson of Stamford conveyed 16 May 1649 to Georg Stuky witnesses Charls Tayntor and William Hitt” (Hill).

Charles Taintor was witness on will of Thomas Dunn of Fairfield, proved December 5, 1660. Charles Taintor sold 8 acres in Fairfield to Richard Lattin in 1653. George Hull (1590-1659) who came to Fairfield in 1653, also purchased land from Charles Taintor same year (Fairfield Records).

Henry Jackson (d. 1686) and William Hill (d. 1649) lived in Fairfield, as did Charles Taintor. Jackson, according to Stamford records, owned land there in 1649, and is recorded to have come there from Fairfield again in 1657 to testify in behalf of John Waterbury. Willian Hill came from England to Dorchester in 1630 in the ship William and Francis, then to Fairfield in 1644 from Windsor. George Stokey (Stackey in Stamford records) bought Henry Jackson’s house and lot in Stamford in 1650.

According to Starr Taintor: “ The original Taintor home built in 1761 is still standing near Colchester. . . . Michael Tainter (4) was in Colchester in 1698 [prob. Micael who married Elizabeth Foote?] and was influential in obtaining the grant for the town which was originally known as “Jeremiah’s Farms.” The original grant for the Taintor farm was probably obtained about this time. The original deed is supposed to have been signed by Uncas, a Mochican chief. It is said that when Michael Taintor came he slept under the rocks in frot of the present house and was brought food by the Indians. “The accepted date for the building of the house is 1761, although 1703 was mentioned in one place. The original home had ten rooms, but a wing was added with four more. The large porch with heavy stone steps was added much later. It has been called “Solomon’s Porch” and may have been built by Solomon Taintor about 1800. . . .

“The family at one time operated a grist mill near by. I was told that the land for the mill belonged to Nathaniel Foote and that Michael Taintor put up the money. The mill was to have been operated in competition with one owned by the Bulkeley family near by. However it has also been said that the right to use water power for custom grinding was a direct grant from the king to the Taintor family, such grant to continue as long as custom grinding was done. . . .”

Colchester was known as Jeremiah’s Farms from 1620 – 1638; Jeremiah’s Farms (New London) Connecticut Colony from 1638 – 1699; Colchester Village (New London) Connecticut Colony from 1699 – 1788; 1788 to present, Colchester (New London) Connecticut.

Charles’ children were:

References for Charles Taintor:



Michael Taintor

Michael/Miaieal/Micaiell/Mica Taintor (Charles1) was probably born abroad in circa 1620. Michael married Elizabeth Rose, daughter of Robert and Margery Rose of Wethersfield, Connecticut. See Rose history. Elizabeth was born in England in 1621 and died in Branford, Connecticut in July 1659. Michael died there in the winter of 1672-1673. His will was dated December 22, 1672, proved March 20, 1673. His estate was valued at £166 4s. 10p.

Michael Taintor is listed with the Wethersfield men who emigrated to Totoket (Branford), Connecticut in 1644, about the same time his father Charles moved to Fairfield, probably with Jeremiah Jagger. Michael was an early settler of Branford, and his name appears frequently in connection with the early records and history of this settlement. He was a master of a vessel owned by Isaac Allerton, trading to Virginia in 1653. He was a Judge of a Court held at Branford in 1669-1670, to settle the question of boundary lines with New Haven, Branford and Guilford. He was a member of the General Court or Connecticut Assembly from 1670-1672. He and his son John were signers of the Church and Plantation Covenant at Branford, June 20, 1667. He was also town Clerk in 1667.

A dispute between some of the Wethersfield Congregation and their minister Rev. Henry Smith resulted in fines by the General Court (Robert Rose fined 10 shillings), and this was probably the reason Charles Taintor moved to Fairfield, and his son Michael and Robert Rose to Branford.

According to C. M. Taintor, “Michael Taintor, from Wales, was Master of a yacht trading to Virginia in 1653 – he settled in Branford, Conn, and died there in 1672-3. In 1667 Michael Taintor was one of four employed and empowered by the town of Branford to buy the house and lands of Richard Harrison. He and Thomas Harrison witnessed a deed in 1671 – in 1669 he was one of the number chosen on the part of Branford to settle the difficulties relative to the boundaries between the towns of Branford and New Haven – in 1670, he was one of a committee of eight, to settle the bounds between Branford and Guilford – he was judge of a court held at Branford in 1669 – he was a member of Conn. Gen. Assembly several sessions—the inventory of his estate, taken in 1672-3, was £166 4s. 10p, – that of his son John, taken in Sept., 1699, was £493, 7s., and 2d. From the deed made by Charles Jr. and Michael of Charles Sen.’s. estate, and from the death of Michael only 19 years after the death of his father, it seems he must have been somewhat in life before the death of his father, although his energies of character were not called forth till Rev. Abraham Pierson and his people left the infant settlement to contend unaided with the hardship and trial incident to all new settlements; and here we first have notice of his prominence, perseverance, and patriarchal character – unaided by that clerical influence so peculiar and necessary to those times, the plantation seems to have progressed, and we find Michael Taintor and his son John, only seventeen years of age, signing the new plantation and church covenant, June 20th, 1667. We also find him, by state record, representative from Branford. In him we find the Ship Master, and man of enterprise, the legislator, and consistent Christian professor, the commissioner and judge, the puritan and patriarch; evidently bringing up his family in the fear of God. From all that can be known of him, it appears evident that he was a man of influence and discretion, and posterity for a series of time held his name in great respect and veneration, probably not so much from the splendor of his career, as from the disinterested nobleness, and integrity of his character. His wife, Elizabeth, died July, 1659.”

A census of New Haven County, Connecticut taken in 1667 listed the following in Branford: (9) John Rose, John Rose, Jonathan Rose, Jonathan Rose, M. Taintor, Michael Taintor, John Taintor, John Taintor, three Daniel Swaines, Samuel Swain.

The children of Michael Taintor and Elizabeth Rose were: (10)

Child of Michael Taintor and Mabel Olmsted:


References for Michael Taintor.




Deacon Michael Taintor

Micael (Deacon Michael) Taintor (Michael2, Charles1) was born on September 6, 1680 at Windsor, Connecticut. He married Eunice Foote at Wethersfield, Connecticut on December 3, 1712. Eunice Foote was the daughter of Nathaniel and Margaret (Bliss) Foote of Wethersfield. She was born at Wethersfield on May 10, 1694. Micael Taintor died at Colchester, Connecticut on March 11 or 18, 1771. Eunice died in 1784 (will in probate record, Hartford). (17)

According to C. M. Taintor, “Deac. Micaell Taintor, eldest son of Esqr. Micaell, was a farmer and a cooper, and died on the place where his father settled. He appears to have cared but little for public stations, and the attendant responsibility – he was a mild and amiable man distinguished for nothing more than he was for his high sense of honor, his integrity and love of justice and truth. He was held in such high estimation by his contemporaries that his word was a bond, and his love of justice and truth (as manifested in his life) was proverbial –he was temperate and of in­dustrious habits, and died at the advanced age of ninety-one in March, 1771.”

Eunice Foote was descended from Nathaniel Foote (1593-1644), who came from England to Watertown, Massachusetts in 1630, then in Wethersfield in 1636. Nathaniel married in England circa 1615 to Elisabeth Deming (1595-1683). Eunice also descended from Nathaniel Foote (1620-1655), who was married in 1646 to Elizabeth Smith (1627-1701), daughter of Lieutenant Samuel Smith (1602-1680), who came from England in 1634. Nathaniel Foote (January 10, 1647 - January 12, 1703) was married in 1672 to Margaret Bliss (1649-1745), daughter of Nathaniel Bliss (1621-1654) and Catherine Chapin (1630-1712). Nathaniel Foote (1647-1703) was Quartermaster, Captain William Turner’s company, Falls Fight, King Philip’s War.

The children of Micael Taintor and Eunice Foote:

Children of John Taintor and Sarah Bulkley:


Endnotes

1 Robert and Janet Wolfe Genealogy Gateway, www-personal.umich.edu/~bobwolfe/gene/Web2Ged/GoodWolfe/people/p00009n2.htm.

2 James Savage, A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, Before 1692.

3 Charles M. Taintor, The Genealogy and History of the Taintor Family, From the Period of Their Emigration From Wales, to the Present Time, Greenfield, Ma. Merriam & Mirick 1847, p. 32.

4 Starr Taintor, “Genealogy of the Taintor Family of Connecticut. Descendants of Charles Taintor of Wethersfield and Fairfield, Connecticut. Compiled from Town and Church Records, Histories and Various Family Genealogies,” Unpublished, n.d.

5 History of Fairfield-Schenck Vol. I page 351.

6 Ancient Wethersfield, Vol. I, p. 642.

7 New Jersey Archives, Vol. 21, p. 326 or 826.

8 Colonial records, State Library, Hartford.

9 1667 Census of New Haven County, Connecticut, www.altlaw.com/EDBALL/nhav1667.txt.

10 Charles M. Taintor, The Genealogy and History of the Taintor Family, From the Period of Their Emigration From Wales, to the Present Time, Greenfield, Ma. Merriam & Mirick 1847; Starr Taintor, “Genealogy of the Taintor Family of Connecticut. Descendants of Charles Taintor of Wethersfield and Fairfield, Connecticut. Compiled from Town and Church Records, Histories and Various Family Genealogies,” Unpublished, n.d.

11 Branford Town Green, Branford Historical Society, www.branfordhistory.org/preservation/towngreen.html.

12 Talcott Manuscripts, New Haven Historical Society.

13 Transcription of “Memoranda of All the Inscriptions in the Old Burying Ground at Colchester, Conn. With some notes from the Town Records,” by Frank E. Randall, 1886. Reprinted from the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, January 1883.

14 Windsor Records.

15 Transcription of “Memoranda of All the Inscriptions in the Old Burying Ground at Colchester, Conn. With some notes from the Town Records,” by Frank E. Randall, 1886. Reprinted from the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, January 1883.

16 James Savage, A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, Before 1692, Vol. 3.

17 Will in probate record, Hartford

18 Loomis Genealogy, Female Branches, 1880.

19 Connecticut Colonial Records, Vol. XI, p. 465, Vol. XIII, p. 240.

20 Connecticut Men in the Revolution.

21 Connecticut Men in the Revolution.

22 Windham, First Church Record, copy at rooms of Connecticut Historical Society, Hartford.

23 Extract from Revolutionary War Pension Claim #3732, Washington, DC.

24 Connecticut Men in the Revolution, War 1812-14 Sec.

25 A Guide to the History of Historic Sights of Conn., Coofut, Yale University Press, 1937, Vol 2, p. 673.

26 Forbes and Cadman, France and New England, vol. 1, p. 151.

27 Colchester Town and Church Records.

28 Records of Henry W. Belknap, Salem, Massachusetts, 1915.