In ancient English records this name is spelled Wilcox, and Wilcocks. The Wilcox family is of Saxon origin, and existed at Bury St. Edmonds prior to the Norman Conquest. Fifteen generations are mentioned by Sir John Dugdale in his visitations of Suffolk county previous to 1600. A Sir John Wilcox, during the reign of Edward III, was entrusted with several important commands against the French. An early immigrant of this name was William Wilcox, who came from the county of Suffolk, England, and served as lieutenant-governor of the colony of Massachusetts. He died at Cambridge, Mass., in Nov. 1653. He was an officer ot the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Boston. Nine of his descendants graduated from the New England colleges up to the year 1823. There were early settlers of this name in Rhode Island, and it is not unlikely that the Daniel Wilcox mentioned below was descended from that branch of the family.
(I) Daniel Wilcox, an early settler at Grand Isle, Vermont, is supposed to have come from Conn., but an effort to discover a record of his birth either in that state or elsewhere proved unsuccessful. He was residing at Grand Isle as early as 1794, in which year he was chosen commander of the local infantry company, and possessing a small farm he manufactured brick, erected a tavern and conducted it for several years. He also transacted quite a profitable business in letting boats, and operated a ferry between Grand Isle (then called the Heroes) and Cumberland Head, which was first licensed in 1807. He was one of the first boat-builders on Lake Champlain, and during the war of 1812-15, one of his boats was seized by the British, loaded with supplies, and when reaching the Isle of Matt foundered and was sunk. After the war Mr. Wilcox raised the vessel and recovered her stolen property.
Daniel Wilcox was twice married and the maiden name of his second wife was Eunice Barnes. She bore him three children, but only two are mentioned in the records at hand:
1. Electa, born May 25, 1806, became the wife of Norman Gordon.
2. John Fish, a brief account of whom follows.
(II) John Fish, son of Daniel and Eunice (Barnes) Wilcox, was born at Grand Isle, July 30, 1812, died there at the age of fifty years. He married Lucretia Gordon, born at Grand Isle, June 6, 1813, daughter of Willard and Clara (Armstrong) Gordon, and a sister of Norman Gordon, previously mentioned. Norman and Lucretia Gordon were of the fifth generation from Alexander Gordon (1), a Scotch [transcriber's note: Scottish!] highlander, who espoused the cause of the Stuarts; was captured by the parliamentary forces under Cromwell during the civil war in England; and being sent to Massachusetts as a prisoner of war in 1651, was held as such at Watertown, until 1654. In 1663 he settled in Exeter, N.H., where he married Mary, daughter of Nicholas Lysson, and became a priminent resident in that town. From Alexander (1) the line of descent is Daniel (2), Alexander (3) who settled in Salem, N.H.; married (first) Susan Pettee, of Haverhill, Mass, and (second) Hannah Stanley, of Beverly, Mass.; Willard (4) who married Clara Armstrong, and resided in Grand Isle.
John Fish and Lucretia (Gordon) Wilcox were the parents of eight children, five of whom grew to maturity and are now living :
1. Eunice, wife of Hiram Tobias.
2. Darius, married Ursula Griswold, and their children are: Bertha, Eva, Vernon and Grace.
3. Willard Gordon, mentioned below.
4. Jane, wife of Warren Hall.
(III) Willard Gordon, son of John F. and Lucretia (Gordon) Wilcox, was born in Grand Isle, Vermont, April 7, 1842. Having completed his education at the age of seventeen years, he began his business training as a clerk in a hardware store at Burlington, Vermont, and remained there one year. Going to New York City he became a bookkeeper for the well-known dry good house of H. B. Clafin & Company, and proved his abilty and faithfulness by continuing in their employ for a period of five years. Returning to Grand Isle from the metropolis he engaged in mercantile business, but subsequently withdrew from trade and accepted a clerkship on one of the steamboats plying on Lake Champlain during the navigation season. In the winter he was employed by Andrew Williams, of Plattsburgh, who was at that time one of the leading iron manufactuers of northern New York, and having won the esteem and confidence of his employer, he became the latter's confidential clerk, retaining that repsonsible position for twelve years. In 1881 Mr. Wilcox established himself in business at Plattsburgh as a dealer in coal, wood, hay, etc., building up a profitable trade in those commodities, and in connection with his mercantile business he is engaged in running pleasure boats on the lake. He is still devoting his energies to these enterprises and having some time since admitted his eldest son, Watson Brooks, to partnership, the business is now conducted under the firm name of W. G. Wilcox & Son. For nearly forty years Mr. Wilcox has resided in Plattsburgh and has long been regarded as one of its leading citizens, assisting financially in its industrial development and otherwise contributing to its prosperity. For a number of years he has been a director of the First National Bank, and is a large stockholder in the Lozier Works. In politics he is a Republican, and served two terms with marked ability as a trustee of the village.
In 1867 Mr. Wilcox was married in New York City to Fannie C. Brooks, of Richmond, Virginia. They have had four children, two of whom died in childhood. The survivors are:
1. Watson Brooks, born in Grand Isle, in September, 1869; now associated in business with his father; member of the F. and A. M. and Presbyerian church. He married Ida Lansing of Plattsburgh, and has had four children, two of whom are living: Ralph and Margaret.
2. Roger Hudson, born in Plattsburgh, March 11, 1878; married Jessie W. Holcombe.
The Wilcox family is of Saxon origin and was seated at Bury St. Edmunds, county Suffolk, England, before the Norman Conquest. Sir John Dugdale, in the visitation of the county of Suffolk, mentions fifteen generations of the family previous to the year 1600. This traces the lineage back to the year 1200, when the surname came into use as an inherited family. On old records the spellings Wilcox, Wilcocks, Wilcoxson and Willcox are used interchangeably.
(I) William Wilcox or Wilcoxson, as commonly spelled, was born in 1601 at St. Albans, Hertfordshire, England. He came to this country when thirty-four years old in the ship "Planter," having a certificate from the minister at St. Albans.
Another William Wilcox settled at Cambridge, Mass. Bay, and became a proprietor of that town, and a town officer. He was admitted a freeman May 25, 1636; died Nov. 28, 1653, leaving a will that mentions various relatives and friends; William Wilcox of this sketch was probably related.
He was admitted a freeman in Mass., Dec. 7, 1636. He was a linen weaver by trade. He removed to Stratford, Connecticut in 1639; was a representative to Hartford, 1647; died 1652.
He married Margaret _____, born 1611.
1. John, born 1633.
2. Joseph, 1635.
3. Samuel, died March 12, 1713; sergeant, lived at Windsor and at Meadow Plain, Simsbury.
4. Obadiah, born 1641, died 1713; settled in Guilford, Conn.
5. Timothy, died June 13, 1713; deacon; married Johanna Birdsay, Dec. 28, 1664.
6. Elizabeth, married April 16, 1663, Henry Stiles, of Windsor, Conn.
7. Hannah, married March 17, 1664, Lieut. Daniel Hayden.
8. Sarah, died 1691; married March 7, 1665, John Meigs, of Madison, Conn.
9. Phebe, married Dec. 11, 1669, John Birdsay of Stratford.
(II) John, son of William Wilcox, was born in 1633 or 1634. He married (first) a daughter of Daniel Titterton; (second) March 19, 1662-63, Elizabeth, widow of John Welles.
1. John, born March, 1657, mentioned below.
2. William, 1659.
3. Patience, Feb. 6, 1663; married Ebenezer Blakeman.
4. Hannah, Feb. 14, 1664-65; married Joseph Booth.
5. Elizabeth, July, 1666; married Barnabas Bees.
6. Mary, April, 1668.
(III) John (2), son of John (1) Wilcox, was born March, 1657. He married Elizabeth Timlinson, June, 1707.
John, mentioned below.
(IV) Lieut. John (3), son of John (2) Wilcox, married (first) March 19, 1703, Sarah Curtis; (second) Deborah Brinsmade, Jan. 13, 1714-15. He died Sept. 12, 1748.
Josiah, born 1705, mentioned below.
Elizabeth, Sept. 1715.
Hannah, Oct., 1716.
David, April 4, 1718.
Rebecca, March 5, 1721.
Ruth, Nov. 11, 1723.
Samuel, Oct. 16, 1725.
Ephraim, April 3, 1728.
Deborah, April 5, 1731.
(V) Josiah, son of Lieut. John (3) Wilcox, was born in 1705. He married, June, 1735, Elizabeth, daughter of Josiah and Martha Hubbell. She was born in 1714.
Ruth, born April 15, 1736.
Elizabeth, Nov. 26, 1737.
Huldah, Oct. 14, 1739.
Martha, Aug. 26, 1741.
Elisha, May 17, 1743.
Abiah, April 19, 1745.
David, Jan. 14, 1746-47, mentioned below.
John, Nov. 24, 1748.
Gideon, Aug. 24, 1750.
Ann, Aug. 19, 1752.
Josiah, Aug. 18, 1755.
(VI) David, son of Josiah Wilcox, was born Jan. 14, 1746-47. He lived at White Hills, Connecticut.
Nathan J., David, Levi, mentioned below; Joseph.
(VII) Dr. Levi, son of David Wilcox, according to the best proof obtainable, was born in 1773, in Connecticut, died at Ticonderoga, N.Y. Sept. 15, 1837, aged sixty-four years. He was killed by a fall from his horse. He was the first practicing physician in the town of Ticonderoga, and was eminent for his skill, and devoted to his patients.
He married Abigail Thompson, who lived to the good old age of eighty-six years.
Hamilton, Fortis, Rollin, Philo S., Lucretia, Maria, William K.
(VII) William K., son of Dr. Levi Wilcox, was born at Ticonderoga, Feb. 11, 1826, died Oct. 10, 1882. He had a common school education. He learned the trade of carpenter and house painter, and was a workman of exceptional skill, working at these trades most of his active life.
In politics he was a Republican. He was a member of old Fort Frederick Lodge, Odd Fellows, of Ticonderoga, and of the Congregational church.
he married in 1854, Cornelia T. Treadway, born at Chazy, N.Y. Nov. 28, 1827, died at Ticonderoga, Dec. 18, 1903, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Miller) Treadway, granddaughter of Jonathan Treadway, who lived to the great age of one hundred and one years; served in the revolution and crossed the Delaware with Washington.
Children of William Treadway:
Jane, William, Harriet, Daniel, Cornelia P., Mildred, Wesley, Melvina and Wealthy.
William Treadway died Feb. 22, 1861, aged sixty-six. He was a manufacturer of cloth at Chazy.
Children of William K. and Cornelia P. Wilcox:
1. Effie C., died Feb. 9, 1890.
2. Frank E., born March 24, 1858; merchant in Port Chester, N.Y.; married Mary E. Sullivan; children: Milton, died Oct. 25, 1895, and Herbert.
3. Myron James, mentioned below.
4. Elmer B., born June 22, 1862; real estate dealer at Newton, Mass.; married Lena Campbell, of Bangor, Maine, and had daughter Ethel.
(IX) Myron James, son of William K. Wilcox, was born at Ticonderoga, N.Y. Nov. 12, 1859. He was educated there in the public schools. He became a clerk in the store of Rowell & Shattuck, general merchants, at Ticonderoga, and continued with the firm for a period of twelve years, from 1880 to 1892. He became bookkeeper and confidential man. He resigned to engage in business on his own account as a dealer in furniture and as an undertaker under the firm name of M. J. Wilcox & Company. He was in partnership with Mr. Gilligan and Mr. Stevens. Mr. Gilligan died in 1894, in which year the firm became Roswell & Wilcox, and this partnership continued until 1908, when Mr. Roswell retired, and since then Mr. Wilcox has been alone in the business.
In politics he is a Republican. He has held the office of tax collector. He is a member of the board of trade and is vice-president of the Business Men's Association. He belongs to Mt. Defiance Lodge, No. 794, Free and Accepted Masons; Ethan Allen Lodge, No. 630, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Rebekah Lodge of the same order, and to the Maccabees. In religion he is a Congregationalist. He bought his present residence on Lake George avenue and Third street in 1883, and has lived there since.
He married, April 2, 1890, Etta May Lillie, of Putnam, N.Y., born July 3, 1867, daughter of David and Margaret (Maxwell) Lillie. Mr. Lillie was born June 17, 1825, died Sept. 17, 1904. Mrs. Lillie was born July 24, 1833, at Putnam, N.Y.
Mr and Mrs. Wilcox have one child: Kirby David, born Dec. 10, 1899.
(II) Joseph Wilcox, son of William Wilcox (q.v.), was born in 1635. He settled in Killingworth, Conn., and married Anna _____.
Children, born at Killingworth:
Joseph, Oct. 29, 1659, mentioned below.
Thomas, Nov. 13, 1661.
Hannah, Jan. 19, 1665.
Nathaniel, Aug. 29, 1668.
William, Jan. 9, 1671.
Margaret, Jan. 9, 1671.
(III) Joseph (2), son of Joseph (1) Wilcox, was born at Killingworth, Oct. 29, 1659, and married there Feb. 14, 1683, Hannah Kelsey, of Killingworth. He died there Feb. 21, 1726.
(IV) Joseph (3), son of Joseph (2) Wilcox, was born at Killingworth, about 1690. He married Rebecca _____.
(V) Andrew, son of Joseph (3) Wilcox, was born April 1, 1734, in Killingworth, and died May 22, 1828.
Elisha, Rebecca, Jesse, and Roswell, mentioned below.
(VI) Roswell, son of Andrew Wilcox, was born Jan. 22, 1778, and died Oct. 1, 1851. He married, in Feb., 1803, Irene Nicholson, born at Martha's Vineyard, Mass., Oct. 15, 1784, and died Oct. 25, 1848.
1. Daniel, born 1803; married Huldah Williams, of Lowville, Jan. 27, 1831.
2. Lucy, born March 5, 1805.
3. Irene, Sept. 29, 1806; married Martin Conan; she died Jan. 16, 1841.
4. Polly, July 23, 1808; married Asahel Stearns; she died Jan. 7, 1846.
5. Roswell, May 10, 1818; married Sophia Leach, of Auburn.
6. Rebecca, Feb. 7, 1813; married Chandler Williams of Lowville.
7. Lydia, Jan. 1, 1815; married Charles Putterel, of Fulton, N.Y.
8. Elizabeth, Dec. 12, 1816; married Harrison Bohall, of Lowville.
9. Harmon, Oct. 15, 1819; married May 30, 1844, Martha Smith of Gouverneur; he died June 22, 1846.
10. Moses, Sept. 18, 1821; drowned while bathing in Mill Creek, July 189, 1835.
11. Lyman, born June 1, 1824; married, Feb. 20, 1849, Martha B. Weaver.
12. Esther, born Feb. 17, 1826; died May 11, 1845.
13. Marcellus, mentioned below.
(VII) Marcellus, son of Roswell Wilcox, was born in Lowville, N.Y., Dec. 3, 1829, and was educated there in the common schools and in Lowville Academy. After leaving school he settled on the old homestead in Stone Square, Lowville, and took up farming for his life work. He was one of the best known and most successful farmers in Lewis county. His farm was kept in pristine condition, and through reading and study he carried on his place in an up-to-date and scientific manner. He set an example that his neighbors followed, his influence was good in the community.
He was a member of the Presbyterian church for many years, and served on the board of trustees for thirty-seven years. He was one of the directors of the Lewis County Agricultural Society twenty-one years in succession, and for two years was president. He was an active member of Lowville Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, No. 71, and was untiring in his efforts to promote the welfare of the organization. He held various offices in Pomona Grange also.
He was attractive, courteous and kindly in his manner, enjoying the friendship of many and possessing the esteem of everybody. He died Nov. 30, 1901.
He married, March 18, 1852, Mary J. Wilcox, born in Leyden, Nov. 15, 1834, daughter of Elisha and Roxanna (Lyon) Wilcox. She had two brothers: Charles D. and Horace Wilcox.
Mr. and Mrs. Marcellus J. Wilcox had one child, Minnie J., born Feb. 6, 1864, died March 24, 1893, who married, Feb. 8, 1888, Levi Bowen. Mr. and Mrs. Bowen had one child, Mamie J., born April 29, 1889.
Elisha Wilcox ws born in Leyden, Lewis county, N.Y., March 3-, 1805, son of Elisha wilcox, who was a son of Andrew Wilcox. Roxanna Lyon was born in Leyden, daughter of John Lyon, son of Caleb Lyon.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids