NORTHERN NEW YORK
Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people
in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation.
New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co. 1910.
Transcribed by Coralynn Brown
(I) Richard Waters, immigrant ancestor of Lyman Sylvester Waters, of Millbury, Mass., was baptized at St. Botolph, Aldersgate, London, England, March 3, 1604, son of James and Phebe Waters. James Waters was a citizen and ironmonger. He was buried in London, Feb. 2, 1617. (An abstract of the will of James Waters, which can be found in Waters' "Genealogical Gleanings in England," here follows:
"James Waters, of the parish of St. Buttolph, without Algate, London, citizen and ironmonger of London, 17 May, 1617, proved 6 Feb. 1617. To be buried in the south churchyard of the parish Church St. Buttolph, without Algate, aforesaid, wherof I am a parishioner, in or near the place where my children do lie buried. One full third (of his estate) I give and bequeath unto my loving wife, Phebe Waters, one other full third part, I give and bequeath unto my loving child, Richard Waters."
His wife, Phebe, was daughter of Mr. George Manning, gentleman, of Downe, Kent county. She married (second) Feb. 23, 1618, William Plasse, gunmaker.
Richard Waters learned his trade of gunsmith of his stepfather and came to New England with his mother and stepfather about 1636. They settled in Salem, Mass., where the town bought the ten-acre lot of Roger Conant and granted it to Richard Waters as an inducement for him to stay there, his trade making him a particularly desirable settler. This grant was situated near Cowhouse river, sometimes called Endicott river, now (1910) Waters river. Before the erection of a bridge the ferry was known as Waters ferry. Waters river is in Danvers and Peabody.
William Pease died April 15, 1646. Richard Waters was admitted a freeman, May 22, 1639. He was a proprietor of Salem, Mass. He deeded land to his daughter May and her husband, Clement English, in 1673. His house lot was not far from the upper end of Broad street.
His will, dated July 16, 1676, proved Nov. 28, 1677, bequeathed to wife Joyce and chldren: William, Ezekiel, John, James, Martha, Abigail, Punchard, Mary English, Susanna Pulsifer, and Hannah Striker.
Richard Waters married Joyce ____, who was admitted to the church, May 23, 1641.
1. Daughter, baptized Nov. 27, 1640.
2. Eliza, baptized Feb. 26, 1642, died Feb. 4, 1662.
3. Abigail, baptized May 18, 1645; married, Oct. 26, 1669, William Punchard.
4. Ezekiel, baptized April 9, 1647.
5. Susanna, baptized April 1, 1649; married Benedict Pulsifer.
6. Hannah, baptized Feb. 20, 1652-53; married Feb. 26, 1651, Joshua Ray.
8. Phebe, married, Oct. 11, 1658, Thomas West; she died April 16, 1674.
9. Mary, married Aug. 27, 1667, Clement English.
12. John, mentioned below.
13. James, married March 24, 1669-70, Mary Stalworth.
(II) John, son of Richard and Joyce Waters, was born in Salem, Mass., 1640, and baptized (according to Benedict) Nov. 27, 1640. He was a farmer, and his place was at Northfields, near the site of the Salem iron foundry. His will, dated Feb. 14, 1706-07, proved March, 1707-08, mentions wife, three sons, daughters Elizabeth, Sarah, Symonds and Abigail Jacobs.
He married, Aug. 1, 1663, Sarah, daughter of John and granddaughter of Ralph Tompkins, of Salem, Mass.
1-2. Richard and John (twins), born last of June, 1664, died young.
3. John, born July 4, 1665; married Mary ____.
4. Sarah, born Aug. 30, 1667; married John Symonds.
5. Richard, born 1669.
6. Nathaniel, mentioned below.
7. Samuel, born March 29, 1674-75, died young.
8. Samuel, May 6, 1675.
9. Elizabeth, Jan. 10, 1677.
10. Abigail, baptized May 6, 1683; married John Jacobs.
(III) Nathaniel, son of John and Sarah (Tompkins) Waters, was born in Salem, Mass., Feb. 6, 1671. He bought a tenth of the town of Sutton, his share being three thousand acres, and his sons settled there, but he appears to have remained in Salem. He was associated in land deals with William King and Benjamin Marsh. Both King and Marsh families were numerous in Sutton.
He died in 1718, and his widow Elizabeth was appointed at Salem to administer the estate. The inventory was dated July 17, 1718. His daughter Hannah died intestate and without issue, and in the probate of her estate is record of her brothers and sisters, as given below.
Nathaniel Waters married Elizabeth, daughter of John and Elizabeth King.
Children, born at Salem (baptismal dates):
Mehitable, Oct. 15, 1704, died young.
Ruth, Oct. 15, 1704.
Mehitable, July 13, 1707.
Nathaniel, mentioned below.
Sarah, July 20, 1712.
Jonathan, July 3, 1715.
Hannah, died without issue.
(IV) Nathaniel (2), son of Nathaniel (1) and Elizabeth (King) Waters, was born in Salem, Mass., where many of the Waters family located. He married in 1737, Mary Gardner, who died June 29, 1799, aged eighty-four years. Her gravestone is standing in Sutton.
Nathaniel (2) Waters died in Sutton, 1761, and his widow Mary was appointed to administer his estate, June 19, 1761. His son Nathaniel succeeded her as administrator, April 18, 1763, having Joseph Bullen and Samuel Marble as sureties. The inventory was dated June 11, 1762. The estate was divided in 1763 among the heirs.
Nathaniel, mentioned below.
Hannah, born at Sutton, Dec. 7, 1741.
Joseph, April 16, 1744.
Mary, Sept. 17, 1746.
Abel, Jan. 25, 1749.
Gardner, July 6, 1751.
Israel, Oct. 7, 1753.
David, June 12, 1756.
Samuel, May 4, 1759.
Jonathan Waters was guardian of Joseph. the widow of Abel, Israel, David, Samuel, Hannah and Mary, all minors. (See Worcester probate 62.439 records).
(V) Nathaniel (3), son of Nathaniel (2) and Mary (Gardner) Waters, was born in Sutton, Mass., about 1739. He settled in New York state and the revolutionary rolls show that Nathaniel Waters was enrolled in the Ulster county (New York) militia, Third regiment, Colonel Levi Pawling. Later he removed to Tryon (afterwards Montgomery) county, N.Y., his name appearing in the census of 1790 as living in the town of Caughnawaga, Montgomery county, which town in 1793 was divided, forming Johnstown, Amsterdam and others, and its name changed to Fonda.
Nathaniel Waters resided at Johnstown and on Feb. 26, 1794, gave a deed quit-claiming all his right to the estate of his brother Gardner to his brother Israel, then of Charlton, Worcester county, Mass. (Worcester deeds 120, p. 246). This deed was given to clear title of his brother Gardner, who died at Sutton, July 24, 1793, leaving a nuncupative will bequeathing to his wife Lucy his property. In the administration of his father's estate, paying to his brothers and sisters an amount fixed by the committee.
The brothers and sisters named were:
Joseph, Abel, Gardner, Israel, David, Samuel, Hannah and Mary.
Nathaniel (3) Waters, married, Oct. 13, 1763, Eunice Bancroft, of Worcester, descendant of an old family from Reading, Mass., the same to which belonged George Bancroft, the historian, and other prominent men. They lived at Sutton, Mass. (where their first four children were born) up to 1771, and later located permanently at Johnstown, N.Y.
1. Eunice, born in Sutton, Sept. 22, 1764, died March 1, 1845; married Hugh Wright, and lcoated at Hebron, McHenry county, Illinois.
2. Nathaniel, born in Sutton, Nov. 5, 1766.
3. Aaron, born in Sutton, May 6, 1769, died 1843; married a Miss Hill and settled in Ohio.
4. Amanda, born in Sutton, March 2, 1771, settled in Cortland, Broome county, N.Y.
5. Joseph, born Dec. 9, 1773, died Oct. 16, 1846; married Lydia Hill.
6. David, mentioned below.
7. Hannah, married ____ Weaver, at Johnstown, N.Y.
8. John, mentioned below.
9. Israel, officer in the war of 1812; went to Pike county, Illinois.
(VI) David, son of Nathaniel (3) and Eunice (Bancroft) Waters, was born Sept. 27, 1774, died March 25, 1843. He was a millwright and builder. He owned a small farm on which he built the large frame house opposite the brick house of Doty, as an inn, at the north end of the village of Martinsburg, N.Y., where he continued to reside. The place was purchased by David Wetmore, and the house was burned a few years ago. He enjoyed a wide acquaintance, was quite prominent, and a highly respected citizen of the town.
He served in the war of 1812 at Sacketts Harbor as sergeant in Captain Levi Collins' company of First troop of horse, also as bridgade quartermaster, with Homer Collins as assistant, under command of Brigadier General Walter Martin, of the Twenty-sixth Brigade of the New York militia, serving in the United States service in March, 1813.
He married, July 12, 1801, Lament Collins, born Oct. 6, 1783, daughter of Judge Jonathan Collins, of Turin, New York.
1. Theodore M., born Aug. 25, 1805, at Martinsburg, N.Y., died in Alabama, July 28, 1838; married Margaret Allen, of Winsboro, South Carolina, 1833; children: Rhinaldo and Augusta.
2. Sidney, born June 23, 1807, died Feb. 29, 1808.
3. Malinda, born June 20, 1810, died Jan. 1, 1812.
4. Malinda, born Oct. 16, 1812, at Martinsburg, died at Des Moines, Iowa, April 22, 1902; married, Aug. 30, 1833, George W. Baldwin, of Martinsburg; children: Charles W., Augusta Florence (Mrs. John Bissell, of Rome, N.Y.), and Julia A. Bladwin, of DesMoines, Iowa.
5. Augusta, born Dec. 24, 1814, at Martinsburg, died at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, Jan. 29, 1896; married, June 4, 1837, Dr. James Madison Adams, of Martinsburg; children: Seydate M. (Mrs. Milton Ewen, of Saginaw, Michigan), Theodore, Louisa, Hackley and Levi Adams.
6. Rhinaldo, born Feb. 1, 1818, died April 13, 1834.
7. Homer Collins, born March 5, 1821, at Martinsburg, died at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, Sept. 26, 1858; married, at Turin, Lewis county, N.Y., Adeline Rockwell, March 26, 1845; children: Kelsey T., Ella C., Josephine A. (Mrs. henry M. Hayes, of Ripon, Wisconsin), Emma A., and Homer M. Waters.
8. Alexander D., born Feb. 27, 1823, at Martinsburg, died in Cuba, 1866, unmarried.
9. Andrew Jackson, born Jan. 22, 1828.
(VI) John, son of Nathaniel (3) and Eunice (Bancroft) Waters, was born Nov. 18, 1778, probably after his parents moved from Sutton, Mass. to settle at Johnstown, N.Y.
At the opening of the Black River county in 1801, he, with his brother David, moved from Johnstown, N.Y. and located at Martinsburg, Lewis county. N.Y., and were among the early pioneer settlers of the town. Both were millwrights and carpenters, also builders, and in the summer of 1801 they erected the first grist mill in Martinsburg, just west of the present mill, for General Walter Martin. They became permanent settlers and contributed their share to settling up the town, and were a great help to the incoming settlers. They were large, strong men, of athletic form and capable of great endurance, and one of the incidents of the writer's boyhood days, when on an errand to Paul B. Yale, at Houseville, N.Y., was the interest he took in showing him the old flax mill at Houseville, built, as he said, by my grandfather, John Waters, and his brother, David, and his calling attention to the timbers, how nice and smoothy they were hewn. He said that John Waters was a master workman. He would hew a twelve-inch timber, cut clear down through at each stroke and split the line every time, so strong was he; and how that David and John, the two brothers, built the Pratt barn, thirty by forty, cutting the timber, standing, hewing, framing and erecting it six days, which was considered a great feat. And to this notion, no two carpenters equalled these as builders. They were justly popular and no log-rolling bee or house or barn raising was considered complete without their presence.
While active and energetic in business, they mingled but little in public affairs, hence only brief mention is made of them in the early records.
He was enrolled in the First Troop of Horse formed in Lewis county in 1809, Levi Collins, captain, and served at Sackett's Harbor in the war of 1812. (See "Hough's History of Lewis County, New York").
John Waters resided on his farm, half a mile south of the village on the state road, the same now (1910) owned by Martin Sheldon.
He died Feb. 19, 1843. "Died, in Martinsburgh, on the 19th ult. Mr. John Waters, in the sixty-fifth years of his age. The people of this vicinity and relations of the deceased are called to mourn in his death the loss of an exemplary, useful and worthy citizen and a Christian friend of irreproachable character." Northern Journal, March 3, 1843.
John Waters married, Nov. 2 1804, Mary Conkey, born Feb. 1, 1785, daughter of Silas Conkey, born Feb. 19, 1756, died April 6, 1813, who married Zeruiah Martin, a sister of General Walter Martin, who was born Aug. 27, 1739, and resided at Sturbridge, Mass. In 1787 he removed to Salem, Washington county, N.Y., and later to Martinsburg, Lewis county, with his son, General Walter Martin, where he died Aug. 9, 1818, aged seventy-nine. Captain Adam Martin served as an officer in the French and revolutionary wars, and was a member of assembly from Washington county, N.Y. in 1787. (See Hough's "History of Lewis Countyy, New York".)
Descendants of Captain Adam Martin are eligible to societies of Colonial Dames and Daughters of American Revolution. Captain Adam Martin married Abigail Cheney, born July 25, 1740, died Dec. 2, 1820, at Martinsburg, N.Y. Their children were:
1. Zeruiah, born May 19, 1763, died Oct. 16, 1649 [sic]; married Silas Conkey, of Salem, N.Y.; settled at Martinsburg in 1801. 2. Walter, Dec. 15, 1764, died Dec. 10, 1834; married a daughter of General John Williams, of Salem, N.Y. 3. Sarah, April 19, 1767, died Sept. 11, 1843; married Chillus Doty, of Salem, N.Y. 4. Abigail, Aug. 28, 1772, died March 26, 1846; married Judge Asa Fitch of Salem, N.Y. 5. Elizabeth, Nov. 23, 1774; married Andrew Freeman of Salem, N.Y. 6. Mary, May 13, 1777, died June 22, 1794.
Children of Silas and Zeruiah (Martin) Conkey, parents of Mary (Conkey) Waters: 1. Willard C., born Sept. 30, 1782, died Aug. 17, 1834; married Polly Faxton. 2. Mary, Feb. 1, 1785, died Aug. 30, 1870; married John Waters, aforementioned. 3. Lucinda, Aug. 29, 1789; married Willam Fitch. 4. Adam, April 23, 1791; married Betsey Lee. 5. Sarah, Aug. 9, 1794; married Harvey Stephens. 6. Silas A., March 25, 1799, died Sept. 11, 1838. 8. Charles G., March 26, 1802, died March 20, 1865; married, Polina Pitcher. 9. Walter M., Jan. 23, 1806; married a Miss Randal.
Children of John and Mary (Conkey) Waters, born at Martinsburg, Lewis county, N.Y.:
1. Van Rensselaer, mentioned below.
2. Mary Ann, born Jan. 18, 1808, died Jan. 20, 1829.
3. Marvin, July 31, 1810, died May 6, 1813.
4. Zeruiah C., Jan. 20, 1814, died May 7, 1842; married Lyman Pitcher.
5. Charles G. W., Aug. 9, 1819, died March 23, 1835.
6. John Dudley, Jan. 23, 1824, died Nov. 27, 1905. He was a fine musician, quite noted locally, for a number of years being the leader of the Old Utica Band. He married Sarah Warren, of Trenton, N.Y., who died, and Feb. 13, 1863, at Utica, N.Y. he married (second) Catherine Elizabeth Hicks; children: i. Charles Dudley Waters, born Aug. 14, 1865, married Susan Strong. ii. Katherine May Waters, born July 16, 1868, married Walter Starbuck Crocker, Utica, N.Y. June 22, 1898; this children: a. Dorothy Gertrude Crocker, born June 10, 1901; b. Walter Reed Crocker, born Nov. 21, 1902, married Sarah Warren, of Utica, N.Y.
7. George Legrand, March 1, 1826; married Mary Parks, Utica, N.Y.; children: Emma; Eda, married F. R. Hilton, Knoxville, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; Minnie, deceased, married J. W. Lewellen, Independence, Kansas; George.
(VII) Rev. Van Rensselaer Waters, son of John and Mary (Conkey) Waters, was born in Martinsburg, Lewis county, N.Y., Aug. 16, 1805. He spent his early boyhood days at home with his parents on the farm. He attended the public schools, closely allied himself to his studies, and acquired more than the usual common school education of his day. He taught school for a time during the winter months in Lewis and Oneida counties, and also taught in Washington county, Maryland, in the years 1831-32, and returned to Martinsburg, N.Y. in December, 1833.
Religiously instructed by his mother in his youth, who was a woman of great faith, while teaching he studied for the ministry, and in the spring of the year 1834 was ordained to the ministry by a council called by the Free Communion Baptist church of Martinsburg. He preached at various places with success.
In the spirn of 1837 he withdrew from the fellowship of this society and united with the regular Baptist church, and removed to the village of Trenton, Oneida county, N.Y., becoming pastor of the Trenton Baptist Church, which he served with success until the spring of the year 1843, when on account of bronchial difficulties induced by excessive labor in an extensive revival in the villagte of Holland Patent, he was compelled to cease public speaking, and consequently obliged to retire from the ministry. Yet he was always active and deeply interested in religious and temperance affairs, and in the absence of stated ministers frequently conducted services on the Sabbath, and the weekly prayer meeting.
In the year 1845 he removed to Constableville, Lewis county, N.Y., and engaged in the hardware business, in which he continued for some years. In 1853 he purchased and operated the grist mill at Constableville. He was an active and useful citizen of the town, and did much legal work, conveyancing and clerical work for his neighbors.
While a resident of West Turin he held the office of justice of the peace, served as town clerk, and was supervisor of the town in the years 1652-53-54. In 1856 he removed to Houseville, town of Turin, and engaged in milling and farming. As a citizen of Turin he was elected justice of the peace, and served the town as supervisor in 1865-66, and his services in these capacities were highly appreciated by his townsmen.
Politically, Mr. Waters, in early life, was a Democrat, and belonged to the wing of the party known as the "Hunker" Democrats, who favored the canals. The part became hopelessly split between the Hunkers and Barnburners. Daniel S. Bailey, editor of the Journal, Judge Carlos P. Scovil, Mr. V. R. Waters, Sanford E. Coe and other "Hunker Democrats" met and united with leading Whigs and led in forming and organizing the Republican party in Lewis county. They met at Martinsburg, a petition was gotten up and circulated over the county, and the county that fall went for Fremont and Dayton by about two thousand majority. Though not an office-seeker, he was often urged to permit his name to be used, and in 1856 was elected justice of sessions of the county and coroner in 1859. Against his protest, in 1861, he was nominated for sheriff, an office not to his taste, but consented to the appeals of his friends not to withdraw, and was elected and served his tem of three years, discharging the duties of the office and the trusts committed to him promptly and faithfully to the satisfaction of the public.
He was a man of broad views and generous impulses, quiet in manner, kind in disposition, upright in character. He always stood for the right, and thus gained the confidence and respect of the poeple in all walks of life.
In December, 1869, he relinquished his business in Turin and removed to Utica, where he died Aug. 14, 1889, and was buried in Martingsburg, with his wife.
Rev. Mr. Waters married, at Leyden, N.Y., Belinda Ruth Burr, born July 4, 1810, died Aug. 22, 1891, a descendant of the Burrs who located in Hartford, Conn., coming from England in 1635. (See Genealogy Burr family).
1. Charles Marvin, born July 3, 1836, mentioned below.
2. Harriet Newel, Jan. 23, 1839; married J. P. Tuttle, of Youngstown, Ohio.
3. Henry Martin, mentioned below.
4. Van Rensselaer Lansing, mentioned below.
5. Augusta C., born July 29, 1846.
6. John F., born Sept. 14, 1850, died June 18, 1852.
7. John F., mentioned below.
(VIII) Charles Marvin Waters, son of the Rev. Van Rensselaer and Belinda Ruth (Burr) Waters, was born in Martinsburg, Lewis county, N.Y., July 3, 1836. He was educated in the public schools of the county. After leaving school he worked on a farm for two years, then engaged in the milling business for the following fifteen years. He had a grist mill at Houseville, Lewis county, that was in successful operation for the term mentioned. He discontinued the mill and in 1873 located in Lyons Falls, where he was station agent fot the Utica and Black River Railroad Company. For the following thirteen years he transacted the business for the company at that point, and was a most satisfactory representative.
In 1886 he purchased the business of E. E. Regan, at Lyons Falls, and has since that date been actively engaged in mercantile life. His business is that of a general country store, and in this he has been very successful. His store is large and well stocked, and is liberally patronized.
He is a Republican and was under-sheriff of Lewis county during the years 1862-63. During the administration of President Harrison he was appointed postmaster at Lyons Falls and has held the office under Presidents Harrison, McKinley, Roosevelt and Taft.
He is a leading member of the Presbyterian church of Lyons Falls, which he serves as elder.
He married, Jan. 21, 1862, Mary A., born in Martinsburg, Lewis county, N.Y., Sept. 11, 1840, daughter of Aaron and Lucy (Bliss) Wood.
1. Cora Estelle, born Aug. 22, 1864.
2. Minnie Ruth, Sept. 30, 1866, died March 6, 1888.
3. Arthur Marvin, Sept. 22, 1871, died May 1, 1891.
4. Earle Morgan, March 11, 1876.
5. Grace Mary, June 22, 1879, died Aug. 7, 1893.
6. Gertrude Lucy, April 4, 1882.
(VIII) Henry Martin Waters, son of Rev. Van Rensselaer and Belinda Ruth (Burr) Waters, was born at Constableville, N.Y., June 17, 1841. He attended the public schools. He left his home at Houseville, N.Y. for the west, at the age of seventeen, and located at Brighton, Lorain county, Ohio, where he continued to reside until the breaking out of the civil war. He enlisted Aug. 23, 1861; was discharged Dec. 31, 1863; re-enlisted as a veteran Jan. 1, 1864, and was finally discharged Sept. 11, 1865. His entire service was in Company H, Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. He was wounded while in action at Blue Springs, East Tennessee, Oct. 10 ,1863, by a gunshot wound in the left arm, breaking and shattering the bone above the elbow. The arm was saved, but was unfit for physical work. The regiment had a wonderful record. As organized, it had 1,177 men, but it was recruited up until 2,504 names appeared on the roll. On the final muster it numbered 757, and 200 of these were recent recruits. Its losses from all causes during its service were 1,749. It served in five different armies - the Army of the Frontier, of the Missouri, of the Potomac, of the Ohio, and of the Shenandoah. He campaigned in thirteen states and one territory - Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, West Virginia, Maryland, Virginia and Indian Territory.
On Aug. 13, 1864, the Spencer carbine was issued, and the following eight months' strenuous service was best shown by the following certificate attached to the carbine, which he retained.
This Spencer Carbine was received August 13, 1874, by Corporal Henry M. Waters, a member of Company H, Second Ohio Cavalry, First Brigade, Third Division Cavalry Corps, of the Potomac Army, and known as the "Red Necktie Division," commanded by Major-General George A. Custer. It was used by said Waters in the following engagements of the Civil War: Winchester, Va., Aug. 17, 1864; Summit Point, Va., Aug. 21, 1864; Charlestown, Va., Aug. 22, 1864; Fisher's Hill, Va., Oct. 8, 1864; Toma Brook, Va., Oct. 9, 1864; Picket Skirmish, Va. "13" Picket Skirmish, Ashaldnd, Va., March 14, 1865; North Anna River, March 15, 1865; near Martinsburg, Va., Aug. 23, 1864; Shepard's Ford, Va., Auag. 20, 1864; Berryville, Va., Aug. 31, 1864; Berryville Va., Sept. 2, 1864; Ioequan Creek, Va., Sept. 13, 1864; Opequan Creek, Va., Sept. 18, 1864; Opequan Creek, Va., Sept. 19, 1864; Cedar Creek, Va., Oct. 19, 1864; Lacy Springs, Nov. 12, 1864; Mount Jackson, VA., Nov. 22, 1863; Woodstock, Va., Dec. 20, 1864; Woodstock, Va., Dec. 21, 1864; Waynesburg, Va., March 2, 1865; Charlottesville, Va., March 3, 1865; Dinwiddie C. H., Va., March 19, 1865; Five Forks, Va., March 31, 1865; Deep Bottoms, Va., April 2, 1865; Beverly Bridge, Va., April 3, 1865; Sailor's Creek, Va., April 6, 1865; Appomattox Stataion, Va., March 8, 1865; Appomattox Court House, Va., March 9, 1865; and worn at the Grand Review of the army at Washington, May, 1865.
The regiment was in the field until Dec. 27, 1865. When the snow was lying on the ground, the men went into winter quarters and built little huts for the winter. Feb. 27, 1865, they were ordered out on Sheridan's raid, and through the rain, snow and mud the fighting was almost continuous until lined up on the advanced line at Appomattox Court House, April 9, 1865, at the surrender of General Lee and his army. In all, Mr. Waters was under fire in forty engagements of more or less importance during his four years' service.
After the war, Mr. Waters returned to Brighton, Ohio. He was appointed United States receiver of public moneys inthe Land Office at Independence, Kansas, and held the office during the sale of government lands, from February, 1874 to November, 1885, handling more than two million dollars, for which immense amount he has full receipt from the govenment.
In 1892 he removed to Galveston, Texas, where he continued to reside.
He has taken high rank in the Masonic fraternity, being a past grand high priest of the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Kansas (1883), and the same year past grand commander of the Grand Commandery of Knights Templar, same state. He organized St. Bernard Commandery, No. 10, K.T., of Independence, Kansas. He has attained to the thirty-second degree, A.A.S.R.
Mr. Water married, at Humboldt, Kansas, Oct. 27, 1869, Frances Marion Stevens, born Nov. 5, 1847, died at Independence, Kansas, May 23, 1892.
1. Katherine H. Waters, born Aug. 10, 1870; married, at El Paso, Texas, May 13, 1909, Hugh Urquhart Neill, born Aug. 8, 1856, where they reside.
2. Anna Waters, born Aug. 19, 1872, died Feb. 17, 1909; married at Galveston, Texas, June 5, 1894, Earnest L. Reading, born Dec. 14, 1869, died June 27, 1906; children: Earnest W. Reading, born March 4, 1895; K. Helen Reading, April 5, 1899; they live with their aunt, Mrs. Hugh U. Neill, at El Paso, Texas.
(VIII) Van Rensselaer Lansing Waters, son of Rev. Van Rensselaer and Belinda Ruth (Burr) Waters, was born in Trenton Falls, Oneida county, New York, May 18, 1843, his father being the pastor of the Baptist church there at that time. The family soon after located at Constableville, N.Y. He attended the public schools and Lowville Academy. He accepted a position as clerk in the store of Colonel S. Miller & Sons, at Constableville, at the age of seventeen years, and continued there until after the civil war broke out.
The war had continued for a year, and when the call of President Abraham Lincoln for three hundred thousand more men came, he resigned his position and enlisted, Aug. 9, 1862, for a term of three years in Company K, Third Battalion, Fifth New York Heavy Artillery. Notwithstanding his extreme youth, he was elected sergeant of his company and was mustered into service at Sacketts Harbor, Sept. 11, 1862, and ordered to Washington with his regiment. He served in the defense of Washington, at Maryland Heights, Harper's Ferry and in the Shenandoah Valley. He was active and zealous in performing his duty, and was appointed acting sergeant-major of the battalion, and was promoted March 25, 1863, to first, or orderly sergeant, of his company. He was then nineteen years of age. He was commissioned second lieutenant by Governor Horatio Seymour when he was but twenty years old, and soon afterwards was made first lieutenant. He commanded the hundred-pound rifle battery and the motar battery on Maryland Heights at the ineffectual siege of General Jubal Early's army, July 4, 1864, in his raid on Washington. He was appointed assistant provost mashal on the staff of General John D. Stevenson, at Harper's Ferry, Virginia.
At the close of the war he was mustered out of service with his regiment, having served with credit and ability and winning the fullest confidence and esteem of his men and fellow officers. He attended President Lincoln's funeral in New York, and viewed the remains as it lay in state in City Hall.
Upon his return from the war, Mr. Waters resumed mercantile pursuits at Lowville, N.Y., as clerk in the dry goods house of the late De Witt C. West & Company. In 1867 he was admitted to partnership by his employer, and in 1873 the business was reorganized under the firm name of Waters & Easton, Frederick S. Easton having been admitted as a partner and Mr. West continuing as special partner. In 1879 the firm purchased the Bank building, and Mr. West organized the Black River National Bank, Mr. West becoming president; Mr. Easton, cashier, and Mr. Waters a director, the latter also conducting the store. Upon the death of Mr. West in 1880, in order to close the West estate, the firm was dissolved the following year; Mr. Easton assumed the Bank building and bank stocks, and Mr. Waters assumed the store building and stock of merchandise, and thus succeeded to the business, which was established in 1857, and which has been conducted with uninterrupted success. For a short time his brother, John F. Waters, was in partnership with him. During his forty-five years of continuous business in Lowville, Mr. Waters has been singularly fortunate in securing the services of bright, young men as efficient clerks, and to whose interest and welfare he was uniformly devoted. No business house in northern New York has turned out so many young men, who have become useful, upright, leading citizens, and many of whom have attained great success, a fact in which he takes justifiable pride. Mr. Waters has taken a foremost place in the business world and is accounted one of the leading merchants of northern New York. His business life has not been purely mercantile. Being possessed of rare business ability, couple with good judgment and foresight, he has had faith in the prosperity and growth of the country and has become largely interested in western real estate, the growth of which has been highly remunerative.
Although Mr. Waters has paid close attention to his business, he takes an active part in public affairs and loses no opportunity to work for the welfare of the community.
He has been for many years a member of the Grand Army. He is active in maintaining the annual reunions of the Veterans of the Third Battalion of the 5th New York Heavy Artillery, in which he takes special pride, and which are looked forward to with so much interest.
He was amde a Master Mason at Harper's Ferry, Virginia, during the war, and is past high priest of Lowville Masonic Chapter and a trustee of the same.
He is a vestryman of Trinity Protestant Episcopal Church, and since 1886 has been a Trustee of Lowville Academy, and became chairman of the finance committee and treasurer of the board.
He was a prime factor in securing for Lowville the excellent water system which that village no (1910) enjoys. He was appointedon one of the first committees to investigate a source of supply; at the outset of 1893 he entered heartily into the project, and gave it his best efforts and ability. Pumping from Black River was suggested, also a hard water source west of the village, but a persistent search was made to obtain pure, soft spring water at sufficient elevation for a gravity system until the present souce was discovered by Captain Walter Whittlesey, the assistant engineer. Mr. Waters served as water commissioner of the village and treasurer of the board during the construction of the water works system, which is among the best in the state. His excellent service led to his reappointment and he has served as commissioner almost continuoulsy, and is now president of the board.
Mr. Waters was selected by the Lewis County Agricultural Society, in 1887, to secure prominent speakers to deliver the address. With a letter of introduction from the Hon. D.C.West, he visited Utica, N.Y., and extended an invitation to Senator Roscoe Conkling and ex-Governor Horatio Seymour to deliver a joint address. In order to accept, Senator Conkling had to cancel an appointment to deliver an historical address on the same date, but at Mr. Waters' earnest solicitation he finally accepted, as did also ex-Governor Seymour , whose main object in accepting was to confer a favor on his friend and neighbor, Hon. D.C. West, and they delivered the joint address on the new Fair Ground, Sept. 13, 1887, to the great delight and edification of an immense number of people, who thoroughly appreciated the efforts of Mr. Waters to give them pleasure and profit at the same time. Owing to this act of courtesy on the part of Senator Conkling, Mr. Waters became an active and zealous supporter of the principles advanced by Senator Conkling, and the acquaintance ripened into friendship, which terminated only upon the death of the senator.
His loyalty to Senator Conkling led to his acquaintance with Senator Platt, and the friendship thus formed continued for years, and these friendships caused Mr. Waters' influence to be more widely extended than that of many who were prominent only through official positions. He favored the policy of the development and maintenance of the Black River canal as one of the natural waterways of the state. To his effective effort mainly the old wooden bridge across the Black River between Loweill and Watson, at Beaches Landing, that had stood some fifty years, was replaced by the state, by the present (1910) iron bridge.
Mr. Waters is a director of the Asbestos Burial Casket Company, one of the organizers and vice-president of the Lowville & Beaver River Railroad, and he was instrumental in organizing the Fulton Machine & Vise Company at Lowville, serving in the capacity of first president of the same. Thus it will be seen that his career has been an active one, and that his enterprises have been such as added to the general wealth and welfare of the city.
Mr. Waters cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln for president while in camp at Harper's Ferry, Virginia, and has always continued to be an earnest and zealous Republican. Notwithstanding the fact that he has been frequently urged by his friends to accept public office, he has declined to allow his name to be used as a candidate, but maintains his interest in all public questions and progressive improvements, having a wide acquaintance with the public men of the state. For a number of years he has been prominent in the councils of his party, and to his honor it can be said that his friends have always found him true and faithful under all circumstances. He has frequently served as delegate to state, judicial, congressional and senatorial conventions. In 1892 Mr. Waters and the Hon. James S. Sherman (later vice-President of the U.S.) were delegates to the Republican national conventions from the Oneida-Lewis congressional district and attended the convention which nomiated President Harrison at Minneapolis. He was also alternate delegate to the Republican national convention at St. Louis in 1896, which nomiated President McKinley.
In 1882 Mr. Waters purchased of the Ziba Knox Estate the old colonial brick house built by Paul Abbott, situated nearly opposite the Academy grounds in Lowville, where he now (1910) resides and on which he has made extensive alterations. In 1888 he purchased the Garret Bostwick place adjoining, making, with his own, some six acres, and in 1890 he subdivided and laid out a street, "Waters Terrace," opposite the Lowville Academy, leading from Main to Easton street. He graded the street, laid a sewer, and set out thirty maple trees on each lot. Handsome residences have been erected on nearly all the lots and it is now one of the popular streets of the village.
Mr. Water was married at Wickford, Rhode Island, Oct. 24, 1883, by Rev. W. W. Ayres, rector of St. Paul's Church, to Sara E. Henry, born at Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn, New York, Jan. 25, 1851, where she passed her childhood days. She is a daughter of Rinaldo E. and Hannah Treadwell Sands (Johnson) Henry, and granddaughter of James and Lucyh (Ward) Henry. She attended Madam Bireauld's boarding school in Brooklyn and completed her education, a four years' course, at the Moravian Seminary, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, graduating in the class with the Misses Havemeyer, Elder and Belloni. She then resided several years at Newport, Rhode Island, making her home with her cousin, Mrs. E. A. Mathews, wife of Rear-Admiral Mathews, and later at Wickford, Rhode Island. Her mother, Hannah Treadwell Sands (Johnson) Henry, was born at Kingston, Rhode Island, Sept. 30, 1824, daughter of Elijah and Mary Ann (Robinson) Johnson, and granddaughter of Jesse Champlain and Hannah Treadwell (Sands) Robinson, and a descendant of Colonial Governor Robinson (see Book Genealogy of Sands-Robinson families of Rhode Island). Rinaldo E. Henry (father) was born Feb. 2, 1818, died Feb. 20, 1863. Mrs. Henry died Sept. 22, 1908, at Lowville, N.Y., and was buried by the side of her husband in the family lot at Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn, N.Y.
Children of Mr. & Mrs. Waters:
1. Ethel Martin, attended the Lowville Academy, the Emma Willard School at Troy, and the New England Conservatory of Music at Boston, three years, being a pupil of Professor Carl Baurmann and Clarence B. Shirley.
2. Van Rensselaer Lansing, attended the public schools, the Lowville Academy, and the Culver Military School of Indiana; now associated in business with his father.
(VIII) John F. Waters, youngest son of Rev. Van Rensselaer and Belinda Ruth (Burr) Waters, was born in Constableville, Lewis county, N.Y., June 28, 1853. He attended the district schools of Lewis county and the high school and business college of Utica. At the age of nineteen he entered the private banking house of T. O. Grannis & Company, in Utica, as bookkeeper, where he remained until 1875, when he was appointed by the commissioner of the U.S. land office at Washington, D.C. chief clerk in the office of the receiver of public moneys of the U.S. land office, at Independence, Kansas, at which time the government was engaged in the sale of the Osage Indian lands. Upon the conclusion of this sale, in 1881, Mr. Waters reurned to Lowville, N.Y., and ws associated with his brother, Van Rensselaer Lansing Waters, in the dry goods business. In 1896 he withdrew from the business to accept an appointment as assistant financial clerk in the state department of excise at Albany, N.Y., where he is now (1910) located. The department, recognizing the ability and efficiency of Mr. Waters, have advanced him from time to time until at the present time (1910) he holds the responsible position of chief of the division of accounts and statistics.
Lawrence Waters, immigrant ancestor, was born in England. He was an early settler at Watertown, Mass., where he was a proprietor as early as 1636. He planted the intervale between Penacook and Stillrivers, Lancaster, Worcester county, before 1647. He was a carpenter by trade.
He married Ann Linton, who died Feb. 6, 1780,[sic?] daughter of Richard Linton.
When King Philip's war caused the Lancaster settlers to leave their homes, he went to Charlestown, in 1675, to the home of his son Stephen. He was blind in 1676. He died Dec. 9, 1687, nearly eighty-five years old.
Lawrence, born Feb. 14, 1634-35.
Sarah, Dec. 7, 1636.
Mary, Jan. 27, 1637-38.
Rebecca, 1639 or 1640.
Daniel, Feb. 6, 1641-42.
Stephen, Jan. 24, 1642-43.
Jacob, April 29, 1647, mentioned below.
Rachel, March 31, 1650.
Samuel, Feb. 14, 1651-52.
Joanna, March 26, 1653.
Joan, April 21, 1654.
Ephraim, Feb. 27, 1655-56.
Adam, died Sept. 15, 1670.
The first six were born at Watertown, the last eight at Lancaster.
(II) Jacob, son of Lawrence Waters, was born at Lancaster, April 29, 1647. He lived at Charlestown. He married Sarah Hudson, who was admitted to the church Nov. 12, 1682, and died June 20, 1709. He was living at Mousall's, Charlestown, during King Philip's war.
He married (second) Nov. 4, 1709, Abigail Hudson.
He had a grant of common land at Charlestown in 1676, and bought land in 1680 on Bow street, Charlestown. His will was dated Aug. 17, 1710, proved Dec. 29, 1714.
Children, recorded at Charlestown:
Jacob, born May 5, 1676.
Sarah, Nov. 7, 1679.
Jacob, Jan. 23, 1680.
Mary, Feb. 10, 1682-83.
Adam, Jan. 6, 1685-86, mentioned below.
Thomas, March 10, 1687-88.
Abigail, April 5, 1689.
Ebenezer, Aug. 16, 1691.
Daniel, Jan. 5, 1693-94.
Isaac, Jan. 24, 1696-97.
(III) Adam, son of Jacob Waters, was born at Charlestown, Jan. 6, 1685-86, and was baptized Dec. 5, 1686. He lived in Charlestown and Boston, and was a housewright by trade.
He married, Nov. 26, 1708, at Boston, Rachel Draper.
Children, baptized in the Second Church, Charlestown:
Rachel, bap. May 17, 1713.
Jacob, Aug. 10, 1713, died young.
Mary, bap. Sept. 20, 1715.
Jacob, bap. Aug. 18, 1719, lived at Charlestown.
Sarah, March 23, 1722.
John, Nov. 25, 1726, mentioned below.
Abraham, lived in Charlestown.
Isaac, March 14, 1728-29.
Dormed, June 20, 1731.
(IV) John, son of Adam Waters, was born at Charlestown, Nov. 25, 1726. He left that town, probably before marriage. He appears to have settled early at Hoosick, Albany county, N.Y. In 1790 in the first federal census shows that Adam Waters, of Hoosick, had in his family two males over sixteen and two females. In the same town was Bigelow Waters, with two sons under sixteen and one female; also Oliver Waters, with two sons under sixteen and three females. Bigelow and Oliver were doubtless brothers of Adam, metioned below.
(V) Adam (2), son of John Waters, was born 1745-50. With many other Massachusetts men he settled at Hoosick, N.Y., as stated, but we find the records deficient and cannot give the name of his wife. He was a pioneer and farmer. He had a son Moses, mentioned below.
(VI) Moses, son of Adam (2) Waters, was born, doubtless, in Massachusetts, Jan. 31, 1771. In 1797 he came to what is now Lowville, Lewis county, N.Y., with a pack of provisions on his back, blazing the way through the wilderness, and became the first settler in the part of the town called Stowe Square. Here he cleared land, building a log cabin, and when his provisions were exhausted, he returned for more supplies. He established his home and was the first to set out an apple orchard in Lewis county. He kept a tavern in later years.
He married, March 6, 1800, Rebecca, born Sept. 1, 1770, daughter of Adam Wilcox, also an early settler of Lowville.
Waters was a soldier in the war of 1812.
He was a charter member of the Lowville Baptist church; his wife was a Presbyterian.
He died Feb. 5, 1852; his wife, Nov. 28, 1856.
Children, born at Lowville:
Susan, Dec. 3, 1800.
Azel, May 23, 1802.
David, Jan. 8, 1804.
Nathan, July 27, 1805, mentioned below.
Esther Post, Oct. 8, 1807.
Lucinda, July 1, 1810.
(VII) Nathan, son of Moses Waters was born July 27, 1805, at Lowville, N.Y. He spent his boyhood on his father's farm and was educated at Lowville Academy. He taught school for several terms. He and his brother David conducted the homestead for a time. In 1840 Nathan Waters purchased the farm near Lowville on which his sons and daughters now (1910) reside, and carried on general farming during the remainder of his active life. He was also interested in bee culture and had a large apiary, and his sons, Nathan A. and Herbert N., shipped large quantities of honey to the New York market and the local markets. This industry, in which he was so successful, has been continued by his sons. Mr. Waters was recognized as one of the most progressive and successful farmers of this section. He possessed a great influence, and his advice was sought and followed to a great extent by his neighbors.
In religion he was a Baptist; in politics a Republican.
Though he was interested and active in public affairs, especially in matters effecting the welfare of the town, he declined to accept public office. He was quiet and unostentatious, devoting himself mainly to his home and his business.
He married (first) Jan. 28, 1833, Eliza Noble Weller, born at Westfield, Mass. March 25, 1807, died Dec. 10, 1869, daughter of Jared and Dorothea (Noble) Weller. Dorothea (Noble) Weller, born March 10, 1770, was a daughter of Matthew Noble, who was a son of Ensign Mathew, a son of Thomas, who was the immigrant ancestor, born in 1632, settled in Westfield, Mass.; moved to Springfield in 1664; he erected a saw mill on the Connecticut river.
He married (second) Eliza Mary Patten, who died Oct. 2, 1901. He died Sept. 15, 1890.
Children, born at Lowville:
1. Edward Payson, born Dec. 3, 1833, died Aug. 28, 1835.
2. Francis Dewey, Sept. 27, 1835; married March 21, 1869, Platt R. H. Sawyer.
3. Moses H., July 26, 1837; married Dec. 4, 1865, Maggie J. Todd.
4. Sara Root, July 26, 1838. 5. Elizabeth Weller, May 3, 1841, died Feb. 25, 1858.
6. Nathan Azel, April 24, 1843.
7. Mary Abbott, May 13, 1845; married William Dence.
8. Herbert Noble, mentioned below.
(VIII) Herbert Noble, son of Nathan Waters, was born Jan. 22, 1849, at Lowville. He was brought up on his father's farm, and educated in the public schools and Lowville Academy. He remained at home and succeeded to the ownership of the homestead when his father died. He has maintained the reputation of his father for industry and enterprise. He has devoted his attnetion chiefly to his dairy and has one of the best herds of cattle in this section, and is one of the most prosperous farmers of the county. He has the latest methods and appliances and is a leader in his line.
He is a member of the Lowville Grange, Patrons of Husbandry.
In religion he is a Baptist and in politics a Republican.
He married, Oct. 1, 1885, Ada E., born in Denmark, Nov. 9, 1859, died Jan. 17, 1896, daughter of William Hartwell.
Children, born at Lowville:
1. Catherine Eliza, June 22, 1889, died Feb. 5, 1892.
2. Herbert Hartwell, April 26, 1891, died April 26, 1892.
3. Mary E., Nov. 6, 1893.
4. Ada M., Jan. 9, 1896.
Two daughters are students at Lowville Academy, where their father and grandfather were educated.
Have these webpages helped you?
Please let us know in the Guestook.
|[ Read / Sign my guestbook ]|
|Get a free Guestbook|