Levi Tedman settled in Lanesborough, Hampden county, Mass. About 1819 he removed to what was then the frontier in the Black River country and settled on a heavily wooded farm near West Martinsburg. He cleared a small farm and made his home there for a time. Afterward he had another farm in Martingsburg. He died there at the age of fifty-nine years.
He married Rhoda Jamison.
George, Levi (mentioned below), Robert, Ethan, James, Albert, Rhoda and Jerusha.
(II) Levi (2), son of Levi (1) Tedman, was born at Lanesborough, Mass., April 3, 1812. He went to northern New York with the family when a young boy and was brought up on his father's farm in Martinsburg. He attended the public schools, and when his father died, though he was then only a youth, he took charge of the farm and conducted it for the family. In addition to farming he followed the trade of butcher. He removed from the farm after a time and made his home in the village of Martinsburg. He was overseer of the poor of the town for seventeen years and was coroner of the county. In politics he was a Republican. He was a prominent Methodist and a trustee of the church.
He married (first) Sarah Ross; (second) Rachel Seward, born at Otsego county, N.Y., daughter of Swain Seward, of the same family as Secretary William H. Seward. He died in 1872; his wife at Fort Collins, Colorado.
Children of first wife:
Almira, married (first) Solomon Kelum; (second) John Baker; now living in Pullman, Washington.
Two others died in childhood.
Children of second wife:
Ferdinand L., Boliver Z., Herbert Eugene, Editha Elnora, married Samuel Moore.
(III) Ferdinand L., son of Levi(2) Tedman, was born in Martinsburg, Lewis county, N.Y., May 25, 1846. He was educated in the public and select schools of his native town. He worked on his father's farm during his boyhood and youth, and when he married he settled on the homstead, which he conducted until 1889. He then engaged in the grain and feed business at Lowville. After two years he devoted his attention to buying and selling horses. In 1890 he formed a partnership with Eugene Arthur under the firm name of Arthur & Tedman, dealing in grain, flour, feed and other farmers' supplies. After six years of successful business, Mr. Tedman withdrew from the firm and he was not in active business again until April, 1909, when the Arthur Grain & Coal Company was incorporated, Mr. Tedman being the vice-president. This is a large and growing concern. Mr. Tedman has been uniformly successful in his business venture and commands the confidence and esteem of all who know him. He is generous with his means and contributes to the various charities of the town, befriending the unfortunate and needy whenever the opportunity offers. He has shown his public spirit from time to time and has lent his aid to every project intended to benefit and improve the municipality. His recreation has been in traveling and he has made a number of extended trips through the western states. He has been assessor and member of the Lowville Lodge, No. 134, Free and Accepted Masons. In religion he is a Methodist; in politics a Republican.
He married, April 11, 1871, Amy A., born in Martinsbug, March 12, 1849, daughter of De Grasse and Charlotte (Crosby) Seymore. They had one daughter, Myrtle E., who died aged eleven years.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids