Search billions of records on


It is a notable fact that one of the first Englishmen of distinction to sow the seeds of civilization on this side of the ocean bore the name of Smith, and although not one of the innumerable distinct Smith families in America can claim the redoubtable Captain John Smith as its progenitor, the remote ancestors of some of them must have been identical with those of the stalwart hero, whose commanding figure and chivalrous bearing captivated the heart of the Indian princess.
The immediate ancestors of J. Ovette Smith, of Plattsburgh, were natives of Vermont, and possessed the faculty common to the great majority of New Englanders of making their way in the world solely through their ability and perseverance.
(I) Isaac Smith resided in Sheldon, Vermont, and was a prosperous farmer. He married Mary _____, and reared a family of one son and seven daughters:
1. Mary (Mrs. Shattuck).
2. Olive (Mrs. Chadwick).
3. Lydia (Mrs. Willard).
4. Sabra C. (Mrs. Walker).
5. Anne (Mrs. Manning).
6. Sarah (Mrs. Leach).
7. Elihu Johnson, see below.
8. Lucy, died unmarried.

(II) Elihu Johnson, son of Isaac and Mary Smith, was born in Sheldon about the year 1801. He was reared and educated in his native town, and in early life engaged in mercantile pursuits, becoming a successful merchant in Clarenceville, Canada. In 1850 he removed to Charleston, South Carolina, where he established himself in the wholesale grocery business, and he died in that city Sept. 16, 1858. He married Laura Hubbell, born in Sheldon, died in Clarenceville in 1854. Of their eleven children but four grew to maturity.
1. Laura, born in 1835, died at the age of thirty years.
2. William H., born in 1840; married Jennie Clark, died in 1882 at Fort Reno, killled by the Indians while prospecting; had one child, Laura.
3. Halmer Hubbell, born in 1845; settled in one of the western states and married there; resides at Anaconda, Washington.
4. J. Ovette.

(III) J. Ovette, son of Elihu Johnson and Laura (Hubbell) Smith, was born in Clarenceville, Jan. 2, 1850. His mother died when he was four years old, and this sad event followed four years later by the death of his father, thus leaving him an orphan at a tender age of eight years. After the death of his mother he was taken charge of by his aunt, Mrs. Sarah Leach, of Enosburgh, Franklin county, Vermont, who cared for him until he was thirteen years old, at which time he went to reside with his uncle, Jonathan Smith Hubbell, in Fort Edward, New York, and where he attended school for a period of three years.
He then went to live with another aunt, Mrs. Sabra C. Walker, who gave him the opportunity of continuieng his attendance at school for two years more, and when the Walkers removed to St. Albans, Vermont, he accompanied them thether, entering the employ of Mr. Walker as a clerk. He resided in St. Albans until the death of his employer, when he accompanied his widowed aunt to her old home in Sheldon, and obtaining a clerkship in that town he retrained it for some time. In due time his ambition for advancement asserted itself and going to Schenectady, New York, in 1874, he engaged in the manufacture of brooms with gratifying success. Removing to Plattsburgh in 1880 he became associated with B. S. W. Clark in the manufacture of wood pulp under the firm name Clark & Smith. This concern was succeeded by that of Martin & Smith, who developed the business into large proportions, and it was finally incorporated as the Saranac River Pulp and Paper Company, Charles E. Martin, president, and J. Ovette Smith, vice-president and general manager. This company produces refined mercantile pulp, which has attained a high reputation throughout the United States. Its mills are located at Cadyville, Clinton county, and its main office is in Plattsburgh.
In 1900 Mr. Smith disposed of his interest in the concern. In 1895 he was president of the High Falls Pulp Company, which erected a large plant for manufacturing wood pulp; was associated with this concern as president until 1908, when he resigned. He is now living in retirement at Plattsburgh. [transcriber's note: this material was published in 1910].
Mr. Smith married, June 23, 1872, in Sheldon, Vermont, Kate Horton, born in New York City, June 6, 1848, daughter of Warren Augustus and Sarah Catherine (McChesney) Cleveland. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have one son, Cleveland Wead, born in Schenectady, Oct. 6, 1874; graduated from Rock Point Institute, Burlington, Vermont, in 1894; entered the University of Vermont but withdrew at the conclusion of his freshman year to engage in business with his father, and is now residing in Plattsburgh.
Mrs. Kate Horton (Cleveland) Smith's ancestors were among the early New England colonists and her line of descent is as follows:
(I) Moses (or Moyses) Cleveland, born in Ipswich, Suffolk county, England, about the year 1624; settled in Woburn; died in that town, Jan. 9, 1701-02. He was the common ancestor of all the Clevelands or Cleavelands of New England orogin. He married in Woburn, July 26, 1648, Ann Winn, born in Wales about the year 1626, died in Woburn prior to May 6, 1682. Their children were:
Moses, Hannah, Aaron, Samuel, Miriam, Joanna, died at the age of six years; Edward, Josiah, Isaac, Joanna, Enoch.

(II) Edward, seventh child and third son of Moses and Ann (Winn) Cleveland, was born in Woburn, May 20, 1664, died in Pomfret, Conn., in 1746. His first wife, whom he married in North Kingston, Rhode Island, about 1684, was Deliverance, born about 1665, died in Canterbury, Conn. June 7, 1717, daughter of Benjamin Palmer. At Canterbury, Jan. 1, 1722, he married (second) Zeruiah Church.
Deliverance, Edward, Palmer, Abigail, Isaac, Samuel, Mary, George, Elizabeth.

(III) George, son of Edward and Deliverance (Palmer) Cleveland, was born in North Kingston, [R.I.}, about 1706-07, died Oct. 2, 1756 at Fort William Henry, N.Y., while serving as armorer in the French and Indian war. He married, in Walpole, Mass., about 1730, Sarah, born in 1707, died in Walpole, May 2, 1793, daughter of John and Mary Hall.
Children, all born in Walpole:
John, Mercy, Edward, George, Aquilla, David, Sarah, Samuel.

(IV) David, fifth son and sixth chld of George and Sarah (Hall) Cleveland, was born in Walpole, May 1, 1744. He was a soldier in the French and Indian war; also served in the war for national independence and was stationed in Boston. For many years he resided in Dover, Mass., and his death occurred in that town April 14, 1820.
He married (first) in Dedham, Mass., April 10, 1773, Rachel, born there Aprl 19, 1750, died in Dover, March 12, 1799, daughter of Hezekiah and Jemima Allen, and the maiden surname of her mother was probably Kingsbury. David Cleveland married (second) Mrs. Keziah (Mason) Allen, widow of his first wife's brother, and she died in Pawtucket, R. I., about 1847, having married her third husband, General Crane.
David Cleveland's children, all of his first marriage and born in Dover, were:
Ira, died young; David, Cyrus, George, Gad, Rachel, Martha or Patty G., Mary, Hitty.

(V) Ira, third son of David and Rachel (Allen) Cleveland, was born in Dover, Dec. 21, 1777. He resided on a farm in Milford, Mass., and died there August 6, 1852. He married, in Dover, April 3, 1801, Mehitable, born in that town Aug. 8, 1777, daughter of Captain Ebenezer and Hannah (Allen) Battelle.
1. Ira, born Feb. 1, 1802; married Frances M. Whitney.
2. Mehitable Battelle, born March 6, 1804, died in 1889, unmarried; lived in Milford 1849 to 1884.
3. Alinda, born in Milford, Jan. 3, 1807, died Nov. 10, 1831, unmarried.
4. Reuel Allen, born in Milford, Mass., June 7, 1809, died Jan. 25, 1885, unmarried.
5. Almira, born in Milford, April 2, 1812, died Feb. 25, 1835.
6. Warren Augustus, mentioned below.

(VI) Warren Augustus, son of Ira and Mehitable (Battelle) Cleveland, was born in Milford, Nov. 15, 1816. From 1833 to 1864, he resided in New York City, where he conducted a mercantile agency. About 1860 he engaged in manufacuring, and in 1863 acquired extensive copper mining interests in Vermont, becoming vice-president, secretary, treasurer and superintendent of the Vermont Copper Mining Company. In 1864 he was appointed superintendent of both of these properties, and removing to West Fairlee he managed them with marked ability until compelled to retire on account of ill health. He died in Sheldon, Vermont, June 7, 1872.
Mr. Cleveland married, in Malone, New York, Sarah Catherine McChesney, born in Potsdam, this state, March 19, 1821, daughter of Robert and Orpha (Horton) McChesney. Of this union there were two children:
1. Kate Horton, previously referred to as the wife of J. Ovette Smith. (See Smith).
2. Mary Battelle, born Aug. 8, 1850, died Oct. 8 of that year.


Henry Edwin Smith, father of Anna Louise Smith, of Lowville, N.Y., was a lineal descendant of Henry Smith, the American founder of this branch of the Smith family. Henry Smith was from county Norfolk, England, and came to America in the ship "Diligent" in 1638, with wife and three sons, two daughters, three men and two maid servants. He settled at Hingham, where he was made freeman March 13, 1639, representative, 1641; removed to Rehoboth, 1643, where he died, 1649. His will, made Nov. 3, 1647, names children: Henry, David, Judith; also his widow Judith.

(II) Ensign Henry (2), son of Henry (1) and Judith Smith, was born in England, and resided in Rehoboth, Mass. He was ensign, and representative in 1662, and several years thereafter. He was buried Dec. 24, 1676. His wife was Elizabeth Cooper.

(III) Engisn Joshua, son of Ensign Henry (2) and Elizabeth (Cooper) Smith, married Joanna Redaway and had issue.

(IV) Deacon Joshua (2), son of Ensign Joshua (1) and Joanna (Redaway) Smith, married Mary Peck and had issue.

(V) Joshua (3), son of Deacon Joshua (2) and Mary (Peck) Smith, married Mary Whittaker, and had issue.

(VI) Joshua (4), son of Joshua (3) and Mary (Whittaker) Smith, married Mrs. Elizabeth Perrin Walker and had issue.

(VII) Daniel, son of Joshua (4) and Elizabeth Perrin (Walker) Smith, married Mary Bliss and had issue.

(VIII) William Walker, son of Daniel and Mary (Bliss) Smith, was born in Rehoboth, Mass., Dec. 16, 1797, died Nov. 30, 1864. For several years he was a resident of Cheshire, Mass., removing from there to Lowville, N.Y., and in 1826 purchasing a farm from Colonel King, on the No. 3 Road, where he resided until his death.
He married, May 16, 1821, Polly, daughter of Dr. Joseph and Anna (Fletcher) Seagrave, of Woodstock, Conn.
Henry Edwin, born August 6, 1822.
Emily Elizabeth, Feb. 22, 1824.
George Seagrave, June 1, 1826.
Harriet Walker, Feb. 26, 1828.
William Walker, Dec. 26, 1830.
Sarah Bliss, Dec. 1, 1835.
The three first named were born in Cheshire, Mass., the others in Lowville, New York.

(IX) Henry Edwin, son of William Walker and Polly (Seagrave) Smith, was born in Cheshire, Mass., Aug. 6, 1822, died in Redlands, California, June, 1901. He was a farmer. He married (first) June, 1848, Margaret Thompson Davenport; (second) Mrs. Cornelia Rich Fox, Nov. 5, 1864.
Anna Louise, born July 5, 1852.
Charles Davenport, Oct. 10, 1854.
Williston Henry, Oct. 23, 1856.
Herbert, Sept. 5, 1860.


Stephen Smith settled in Lyman, New Hampshire before 1790. He signed a petition of the inhabitants of Lyman and vicinity for help to build a road Oct. 11, 1790. According to the first federal census in 1790 he had four sons under sixteen and four females in his family. In the adjoining town of Bath, Joseph Smith is reported with three males over sixteen, three under that age and three females; also James who had no children. Joseph and James were probably related to Stephen. A Gad Smith was grantee of Lyman, but we do not know that he settled there. The records do not give a clue to the ancestry of Stephen. He did when his children were young and they were apprenticed to various farmers in Lyman.
Another Smith family of Lyman and Chesterfield came from Leicester, Massachusetts; the personal names are similar, but proof is lacking that they were of the same branch. Reuben, one of the sons, was apprenticed to William Miner and the widow lived with this family.
Children, as given by the history of LymanL
1. Reuben, born 1790, died at Lyman, Aug. 23, 1868; married Lydia Hall.
2. Samuel, married Mehitable Knapp and had a family at Lyman.
3. Esther, born 1784; ancestor of a prominent family (see Biographical Review of Grafton County, p. 94).
4. Stephen, born 1789; died in 1851; had two children.
5. Nathan, born June 8, 1793, mentioned below.
6. Mrs. Bailey Clough.
7. Mrs. Enoch Clough.
8. Mrs. John Moulton.

(II) Nathan, son of Stephen Smith, was born at Lyman, June 8, 1793, died Aug. 25, 1834. He worked for various farmers in Lyman when a boy and attended the district school. He settled in the adjacent town of Colebrook, New Hampshire. He married, at Lyman, June 9, 1818, by Caleb Emery, Esquire, Dorcas S. Parker, born June 9, 1800.
1. Russell Willard, mentioned below.
2. Chilson P., born July 6, 1820; died 1829.
3. Ira B., Oct. 5, 1821; died 1822.
4. Nathan F., Aug. 18, 1823.
5. Ethan, Aug. 28, 1829; died 1830.
6. Samuel C. P., Jan. 25, 1831.

Dorcas S. (Parker) Smith married (second) in 1843 Samuel Titus and had one child, Candace Titus, born Feb. 5, 1841, died April 24, 1844.

(III) Russell Willard, son of Nathan Smith, was born in Colebrook, New Hampshire, March 29, 1819; died at Hopkinton, New York, Dec. 10, 1880. At the age of sixteen he went to work as a lumberman in the woods of New Hampshire and later in Vermont. He married, in 1843, Susan Chase, a native of Stafford, N.H., born July 19, 1821, daughter of John Chase, born at West Newbury, Mass., July 3, 1790, died Jan. 8, 1866. (See Chase XII).
They resided in Vermont until 1853 when the removed to Hopkinton, St. Lawrence county, New York. After his death his widow resided there with her son, Moses E. Smith.
1. Wilbur, born May 22, 1844.
2. Moses E., Aug. 27, 1846, mentioned below.
3. Zorah, June 26, 1848; lives at Colton, New York, with brother.
4. Willard Russell, June 15, 1850; lives at Heuvelton, New York.
5. Riley, April 10, 1852; died May 10, 1863.
6. Dorcas Annette, June 7, 1855; died Aril 3, 1856.
7. Celon, Jan. 24, 1858; died Sept. 17, 1861.

(IV) Moses Emery, son of Russell Willard Smith, was born at Morgan, Vermont, Aug. 27, 1846. He was seven years old when he came with his parents to Hopkinton, N.Y., and at twelve he began to work regularly on the farm of his father. He attended the common schools and in 1875 began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Cook of Stockholm, graduating from the medical department of the University of Vermont at Burlington, Vt. in the class of 1878. In the same year he located at Colton, New York, and after seven years removed to Heuvelton, N.Y., where he practiced the next five years. He returned to Colton in 1890 and has actively and successfully followed his profession there since that date. In politics he is a Republican and he has served the town of Colton two years in the board of supervisors of the county. He was health officer of the town for several years, and has been chariman of the Republican town committee. He is [1910 this material was published] a member of the St. Lawrence County Medical Association, and has been vice-president and delegate to the state society. He is also a member of the Nothern New York Medical Society. He is a member of High Falls Lodge, No. 428, Free and Accepted Masons; of St. Lawrence Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of Potsdam; of St. Lawrence Commandery, Knights Templar; of the Maccabees of Colton, and of the Independent Order of Foresters of Colton.
He married, March 5, 1879, Lorena Jane, daughter of Amos Perkins, of Stockholm, New York.
1. Myrtle A., born at Colton, Sept. 24, 1881; married Eldon Bullis, a farmer at Colton; child: Lorena Victoria, born Oct. 4, 1906.
2. Harold M., Oct. 1, 1888; resides at home.
Mrs. Smith died April 29, 1893.


Jared Smith, Sr., was born in Huntington, Connecticut, July 25, 1741. He married, Aug. 20, 1761, Dorcas Beecher, of the same town. She was born June 15, 1744, a native of Huntington, and a member of the well-known Beecher family, being a great-aunt of the late Herny Ward Beecher. Soon after marriage they settled in Southbury, Conn., and engaged in farming. Their four sons, Jared Jr., Thomas N., Truman, Thaddeus, and one daughter, Sarah B., were born here. Mr. Smith's second wife, to whom he was married May 5, 1783, was Mary Johnson of South Britain, Conn.
About 1785 the family emigrated to Freehold, Greene county, N.Y., when in 1788 Mr. Smith built the first saw mill in that town. Their land title proving worthless, about 1800 Mr. Smith returned to Salisbury, Conn., where he died March 13, 1813. He served his country in the revolutionary war, being in some of the battles in the vicinity of New York City, was taken prisoner and confined for a time in the old prison ship.

(II) Jared (2), son of Jared (1) Smith, was born at Southbury, Conn., April 11, 1766. He married, Jan. 1787, Dorcas Johnson, of the same town. For ten years they resided in Greene county, N.Y. In seeking a new location Mr. Smith made a long journey through central New York via Norway and Utica. He was offered land where the city of Ithaca is now located for two dollars an acre, but he found no timber land that pleased his eye, and so continued his journey to Norway, where, Oct. 20, 1796, he purchased one hundred acres of land in lot No. 32, second allotment of Kingsland or the royal grant, being in the section known as "Dairy Hill." He paid three hundred pounds for his purchase. A small log house was built near a running brook, and here, March 3, 1797, Jared Smith Jr. and family began life in Herkimer county.
The family consisted of five girls:
Phebe, Ruthem, Roxana, Harriet, Nancy.
and one son:
They were poor, but industrious, and finally succeeded, where many of the present day would have failed. Mr. Smith was an intelligent man and quite prominent in town affairs. He held the office of justice of the peace for eight years; was lieutenant and afterwards captain of a military compnay.
In politics he was an ardent Whig. He died in Norway, N.Y. March 26, 1845; his wife Dorcas died at Salisbury, N.Y. May 16, 1851. She was one of the original members of the Norway Presbyterian church, and a most exemplay christian woman of sterling sense; and a model housekeeper.

(III) Johnson, son of Jard (2) Smith, was born at Norway, N.Y. Oct. 30, 1798, died March 30, 1869. He was a farmer, devoting his life to that occupation.
He married, Jan. 13, 1825, Sarah, daughter of Nathaniel Salisbury, a pioneer resident of Norway, who was born at Swansea, Conn., March 24, 1772. Every year at Norway village on the fourth Saturday in June, there is held a reunion of the descendants of Nathaniel Salisbury, they being more than one hundred in number.
There was born to Johnson and Sarah (Salisbury) Smith four children:
Thomas, Sarah, Frederick, Byron.
Sarah, wife of Johnson Smith, died in 1844.
In 1847, Johnson Smith married (second) Harriet, daughter of Russel Hine, a prominent resident of Norway. There were four children by this marriage:
Garret I., Jared R., and Harriet, now living.

(IV) Frederick, son of Johnson Smith, was born at Norway, Jan. 2, 1826, died at Herkimer, July 15, 1901. He married Nov. 20, 1851, Maria E. Service. She died at Potsdam, N.Y., July 6, 1902. She was a daughter of Jacob and Eliza Orlop Service. Jacob was a son of William W. Service, who settled in Norway in 1780.
Frederick Smith was for many years a leader of affairs in his native town. Both he and his wife were lifelong members of the Methodist church, ever active in church work, and for many years Mr. Smith was a member of the official board of the Norway church. He held many official positions, town clerk, justice of the peace, supervisor in 1860, was twice census enumerator and for five years from 1871 was deputy county clerk.
Both Mr. Smith and his two sons, Zenas B. and Arthur T., were closely identified with the county government, Zenas B. holding the position of deputy county clerk for a term of years, and Arthur T. commencing as an office boy, working up to the position of deputy, which place he filled for nine years, followed by a three years term as county clerk.
Frederick Smith was for many years a staunch Republican, but later affiliated with the Prohibition party, and in 1881 as a candidate of that party for member of assembly, carried the town of Norway at the general election, much to the surprise of the leaders of both of the old political parties.
For more than thirty years Mr. Smith corresponded for the Utica papers and the county press, his articles in the Herkimer Citizen being copied extensively. He was a man with a wide range of thought, and his expressions were as sharp and pointed as was the pen with which they were written. No one had a better knowledge of local and political history than he.
Jan. 1, 1887, he commenced the publication of the Norway Tidings, a four-page, three-column, monthly paper, which was started ostensibly to advertise, awaken interest, and make a success of the centennial celebration of the town of Norway, which was held Sept. 7, 1887. So well did the little paper fulfill its mission that the celebration was a great success, attracting people from all over the Union who were born or formerly resided in the town. The paper was published for four years, its last issue being dated Dec. 1, 1890. Frederick Smith was nothing if not original and truthful, and in his inaugural in the Tidings he said: "In giving present news this will not be a policy paper. Our columns will not be mortgaged in the interest of any sect, creed or party. Meanness will not be whitewashed, flattery will be a at a discount. If a townsman dies in a drunken debauch, we shall not call it apoplexy. Pleasant tidings we hope to bear to our readers, but if sad and unpleasant it will not be the editor's fault. We do not expect to please all, perhaps shall hardly please our humble self. Independent and truthful we hopew to entertain, possibly instruct, all that feel an interest in the past, present or future of our town."
In his farewell, he said: "If we have penned an unjust word that has afflicted a single reader, we regret it."
The late Hon. George W. Smith in a paper read before the Herkimer County Historical Society, entitled, "Newspapers of Herkimer County," made this mention of the Tidings: "No effort in the line of periodical publications ever more fully accomplished its special purpose. It was a history of Norway that can never be excelled, and it would be fortunate for our society if the history of the other towns of the county could be written with the same research and skill in narration."

There were born to Frederick and Maria Smith five children:
Ida E., married Charles L. Talcott of Prospect, N.Y.
Zenas B., married Ella Edwards of Prospect.
Arthur T.
Ruth, married E. J. Western of Norway.
Phebe D., married Dr. John W. Jennings, a leading physician, now located at Mohwak.
Frederick Smith, aside from his official and literary duties, was for a number of years engaged in the mercantile business at Norway, his son, Zenas B., pursuing the same line of trade for several years. Zenas B. was elected supervisor of the town of Norway in 1888, being the first Republican supervisor elected in that town in twenty years. He soon after moved to Herkimer, where for four years he was one of the trustees of the village. He has two sons, Carson and Stanley, the fomer having graduated from Union College in June, 1910.

(V) Arthur Tappan, son of Frederick Smith, was born at Norway, May 6, 1857. He married, Jan. 9, 1890, Florence N. Markham of Utica. Mrs. Smith is a daughter of Rev. Wilbur F. and Melissa A. Markham. For more than forty years Rev. Markham was a minister of the Methodist denomination, filling pastorates at Fulton, Oswego, Lowville, Utica, Frankfort and Herkimer. In 1888 he was a delegate to the general conference, and for ten years was presiding elder of the Utica and Herkimer districts. He now (1910) holds a superannuary relation with the church, and resides at Herkimer.
The only child of Arthur T. and Florence N. Smith is Dorothea Markham, born Nov. 13, 1893.

Arthur T. Smith's early school days were spent in the district school at Norway. In 1871 his family moved to Herkimer, where he attended the public schools, completing his education at Fairfield Seminary. At the close of his school days he read law for a time in the office of J. A. and A. B. Steele, and later accepted a postiion in the county clerk's office, serving under Douglas Bennett, Edward Simms and Palmer M. Wood for a period of thirteen years, six years of which time he was deputy county clerk, and for three years, 1886-87-88, was clerk of the county. Mr. Smith was elected town clerk of the town of Herkimer at the first town meeting (1879) after he became a voter. In both town and county elections he led his ticket. He has always been an active, uncompromising Republican. In 1884 he was appointed clerk of the village of Herkimer and was tendered a reappointment which he declined. In 1894 he was elected supervisor of the town of Herkimer, serving two years. He was for a number of years connected with the Herkimer Fire Department, a member of Fort Dayton Hose Company, and Secretary of the company. For three years was president of the Tri-County Firemen's Association of Fulton, Montgomery and Herkimer counties, and is now (1910) a member of the executive committee of the same. Also a member of the auditing committee of the New York State Firemen's Association. He was one of the founders of the Herkimer County Historical Society, and has been its secretary since its organization. He is also an associate member of the Oneida County Historical Society. He organized the Herkimer Savings and Loan Association, was its first president, and is now a member of the board of directors of the association. During the United States' unpleasantness with Spain, in 1898, Mr. Smith was secretary of the Herkimer County war committee, which furnished relief for families of the soldiers who went to the front. He was largely instrumental in organizing and making a success of Herkimer Centennial Celebration in 1907. In the great flood which swept over Herkimer in the spring of 1910, Mr. Smith was active in the work of relief, was a member of the general committee which had in charge the relief furnished to the needy of Herkimer. For two years he was secretary of the Herkimer County Agricultural Society, and for a number of years a director of the Herkimer County Grangers' Association. He is vice-president of the Herkimer Business Men's Association.
Prominent in fraternal organizations, having been a charter member of the Little Falls Lodge of Elks, is a member of the Maccabees, Herkimer Lodge, No. 423, Free and Accepted Masons; Inoquois Chapter, No. 236, Royal Arch Masons; Little Falls Commandery, No. 26, Knights Templar; Ziuaia Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine of Utica, and in 1909 was a delegate from the Utica Shrine to the Imperial Council of the United States, held at Louisville, Kentucky. Mr. Smith is a member of the Empire State Society, Sons of the American Revolution, as is also his brother, Zenas B. Smith.
Mr. Smith has been a delegate to county, senatorial, congressional and state Republican conventions, having been chairman of the Republican senatorial convention in 1904. In 1908 he was an alternate delegate from the twenty-seventh congressional district (Oneida and Herkimer counties) to the National Republican Convention at Chicago. He was the representative from his local S.A.R. chapter to the national congress of the Sons of the American Revolution, held in Boston, and also to the congress in Philadelphia.
At the close of his term as county clerk in 1888 he purchased an interest in the Citizen Publishing Company, and for the past twenty years has been actively engaged in newspapaer work, being secretary of the company, his associates being Charles S. Munger and Rufus E. King, who are president and treasurer respectively of the company. The company publishes the three leading papers of the county, the Herkimer Citizen, on Tuesday, the Ilion Citizen, on Thursday, and the Frankfort Citizen on Saturday. These journals are Republican in politics, their motto being, "Hew to the line, let the chips fall where they may."


This name is commonly supposed to have originated from an occupation or trade, and in early times was very common in many European countries. In England, the family, or different branches of it, have as many as twenty-five different armoral bearings, and among the noted individuals who have borne the name may be mentioned Sir Sidney Smith, the hero of Acre. Many others have won renown on the field of battle, and many have been men of unusual bearing and culture in England.
One family that emigrated early to America is of French origin. The family that became prominent in the earliest history of Rhode Island, intermarried with some of the best families, including the Arnolds, Dexters, and also the descendants of Roger Williams. Richard Smith, a follower of Roger Williams, is said to have been the first white male to settle in Narragansett and had many illustrious descendants. The family became numerous in all Rhode Island settlements, and were well represented especially in Providence and Smithfield. There have been so many of the same Christian name as to make it exceedingly difficult to trace each branch of the family to the original ancestor.
Although the names of Esek, Arnold and Dexter Smith occurred frequently in the early records, the family here described cannot be connected therein with the first settlers of Rhode Island. However, the names indicate connection. There were also other Smith associated with Roger Williams in his settlement of Rhode Island.

(I) Arnold Smith was born in Providence, Rhode Island, and died in 1850 in Hammond, New York. It is entirely presumable that he was the Arnold Smith mentioned in the records of Gloucester (then a part of the city of Providence), who was born Aug. 1, 1779, son of Esek and Renewed Smith. Arnold Smith came to New York state when a young man and became a hotelkeeper, having establishments at different times in Morristown, Rossie and Hammond, St. Lawrence county.
He married Mercy Dexter.
Harriet, Charlotte, Catherine and Chauncey.

(II) Chauncey, only son of Arnold and Mercy (Dexter) Smith, was born Jan. 2, 1815, in Morristown, N.Y., and died April 22, 1875. He received a common school education and became a farmer in St. Lawrence county. Like his father he was also a hotelkeeper; in political views he was a Democrat. He died at Gouverneur, St. Lawrence county.
Chauncey Smith married Eliza E., daughter of Sylvester and Almira (Wright) Pond, born May 30, 1817, at Addison, Vermont. The father of Sylvester, Samuel Pond, was one of the minute-men mustered near Barre, who marched April 20, 1775, under Captain Black. He was a descendant of Daniel Pond of Dedham, Mass. (1652).
Children of Chauncey & Eliza E. (Pond) Smith:
1. Arnold E. and David C.
2. Augusta Minerva, born Oct. 7, 1845; married David Proudfoot, a coal dealer of Cambridge, Mass.; children: David C. and Arnold S.
3. Morris Ford, born Sept. 24, 1846; a gunmaker and inventor, living in Philadelphia; married March 3, 1869, Harriet Taylor; children: Elizabeth E. and Clyde.

(III) Arnold Esek, elder of the two sons of Chauncey and Eliza E. (Pond) Smith, was born Feb. 2, 1841, at Hammond, St. Lawrence county, N.Y., and received his primary education in the public schools of his native town. Later he went four terms to select schools and Governeur Academy. After teaching school a short time he located in Ogdensburg in 1861, and began studying law. He was admitted to the bar in 1863, and appointed assistant postmaster of Ogdensburg, serving in 1863-64; spent a short time in Chicago, after which he returned to Ogdensburg, and in 1867 entered the insurance office of S. H. Palmer as clerk. In 1868 he opened an insurance agency of his own, and in 1874 purchased an interest in the business of Mr. Palmer, and for a year the firm did business as Palmer & Smith. In 1875 he took over the entire business, and until 1888 conducted it independently, engaging considerably as an adjuster of fire losses in northern New York. In 1888 he admitted his son as partner. He is now (1910) a director of the Loan Association, also of the Ogdensburg Improvement Company.
In politics he is a staunch Republican, and has held several public offices, serving 1870-77 as justice of the peace, one term as alderman, one term as supervisor, three terms (1885-1903) as county treasurer, and also six years as member of the Board of Public Works of Ogdensburg. He is one of the representative business men of the city and an influential citizen. He has paid close attention to his business interests, and has met with gratifying success. He has been highly honored by his fellow citizens, and has fully justified the confidence place in him.
He belong so the Acacian Lodge, No. 705, Free and Accepted Masons, of Ogdensburg.
Mr. Smith married, April 14, 1864 , Almira Louisa, daughter of James and Mary Brown, of Ogdensburg, and they have one child, Edwin C. J.

(IV) Edwin Chauncey James, only son of Arnold E. and Almira Louisa (Brown) Smith, was born Aug. 8, 1867, in Ogdensburg, N.Y. He was educated in the city schools and Ogdensburg Academy, and became a partner in the insurance business with his father in 1888, under the firm name of A. E. Smith & Son. Since 1899 he has been deputy United States marshal. He is an enterprising, keen man of business, and a public-spirited citizen.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, No. 772, and Knights of Pythias, No. 392, of Ogdensburg.
He married, April 24, 1899, Edith F., daughter of Robert Ives, born April 12, 1868, in Prescott, Ontario, Canada.
Arnold, born April 9, 1900.
Chauncey, July 17, 1901.


William Smith, of a Connecticut family, removed from that state to Shelburne, Vermont, in the spring of 1780, and settled on the shores of Lake Champlain, on a point of land afterward known as Quaker Smith's Point. He was doubtless a member of the Society of Friends, whence the name of the locality. This place is now (1910) owned by Dr. Seward Webb.
He was probably a descendant of the Deerfield family of Smith, from which many of the Connecticut branches are descended.

(II) Caleb, son of William Smith, was born in Conn. in 1763. He married Sally, daughter of Dr. Jacob Ruback, a German surgeon in the American army in the revolution. He deserted from the British army and finally settled at Grand Isle, Vermont, being the only physician in that section for many years.
Caleb Smith came to Vermont with his father and made his home in Shelburne until the winter of 1796, when he moved with his family across the lake on the ice to Willsborough Point, N.Y., where he died Nov. 7, 1844.
Among a family of ten or twelve children was James, metioned below.

(III) James, son of Caleb Smith, was born at Shelburne, Vermont, Oct. 2, 1793, died at Willsborough, N.Y., May 15, 1871. He came with his parents in 1796, and served in the war of 1812. He settled on a farm near the end of Willsborough Point. He was a well-to-do farmer and prominent citizen, and for many years a justice of the peace of the town.
He married Julia Adsit, born Aug. 18, 1802, died 1886, daughter of Jacob and Hannah (Hale) Adsit.
1. Wallace, born 1820, now (1910) living at Willsborough.
2. Ira Hinckley, mentioned below.
3. Elvira, married Hiram Morehouse, who was a descendant of Thomas Morehouse, a pioneer at Wethersfield, Conn. in 1640.
The widow of James Smith was a pensioner of the war of 1812.

(IV) Ira Hinckley, son of James Smith, was born at Willsborough Point, Dec. 29, 1828, died there Aug. 23, 1863. He was educated in the district schools of his native town and at the Troy Conference Seminary at Poultney, Vermont. He worked on his father's farm when a boy and continued the life of a farmer in later years. He succeeded to the homestead and his parents lived with him in their declining years. He was prosperous in business and prominent in public affairs.
He was a Republican in politics, and was for a time supervisor of the town.
In religion he was a Methodist, and he was trustee of the church and prominent in raising of funds to build the church edifice.
He married Sept. 19, 1853, Mary Elizabeth, born at Willsborough, N.Y. Jan. 1, 1831, died in 1895, daughter of Andrew and Sally (Woodruff) Morehouse. She was a descendant of Thomas Morehouse, one of the first settlers of Wethersfield, Conn., and Stamford.
Children of Ira H. Smith:
1. Rev. Milford Hale, born April 25, 1855; member of the Troy conference of the Methodist Episcopal church at Albany, N.Y.' married Emma Jane Knowles, of Peru, N.Y. son [sic. daughter] of Dr. Ray E. Knowles, physician, practicing at Rutland.
2. Alberti Decatur, mentioned below.
(V) Alberti Decatur, son of Ira Hinckley Smith, was born at Willsborough, N.Y. May 7, 1858. He attended the district and select schools of his native town and the Elizabethtown Academy, and followed farming in his youth on the homestead. He in turn succeeded to the farm that his father and grandfather had owned. He established in 1886 the first creamery in Essex county and conducted it in connection with his farm until 1900, and since then has devoted his attention to his duties as superintendent of the poor of the county.
In politics he is a Republican. He was assessor of the town of Willsborough for six years and justice of the peace of that town for several terms. He is a member of Iroquois Lodge, No. 715, Free and Accepted Masons, of Essex, N.Y., of which he is now junior warden; of Cedar Point Chapter, No. 269, Royal Arch Masons, of Port Henry; of the Whallonsburg Grange, No. 954, Patrons of Husbandry. He is well known and higly respected throughout the county.
He married, April 4, 1887, Bertha Ames, of Willsborough, daughter of Benjamin and Hannah (Babcock) Ames.
1. James, born Feb. 13, 1889; attending the Rensselaer Polytechnic School of Troy.
2. Harold Hinckley, Nov. 16, 1890.
3. Rupert (twin), Dec. 26, 1892.
4. Ruth (twin), Dec. 26, 1892.
5. Mary, Dec. 14, 1895.
6. Emma L., Aug. 13, 1898.


George Smith, a native of New Hampshire, removed to Vermont, and after living there a few years settled in Stockholm, New York. He was a farmer all his active life. He married Abigail ____.
Gaius Anthony, deceased.
Marvin D., mentioned below.
Russell L.
George C., who lives in Winthrop, N.Y., proprietor of a livery stable and hotel.

(II) Marvin D., son of George Rufus Smith, was born in Vermont in 1822, and died at Stockholm in 1901. He was educated in the public schools of his native town. He followed farming in Stockholm.
In politics he was a Republican, and was active and earnest in supporting the candidates and measure of his party. He was an assessor of the town of Stockholm, and also a highway commissioner.
He married (first) Mercy B. Norton, born in Vermont, daughter of Rufus Norton. Her father was justice of the peace of the town. (See Norton).
He married (second) Caroline (Bigelow), widow of Chester Taylor.
Children, born at Stockholm:
Sarah Alice, lives in Manitoba, Canada; married Charles Maynard, a farmer.
George Rufus, mentioned below.
Mary E., lives in South Dakota, married Horace Palmer, a farmer.
Effie, died, aged nine years.
Child of second wife:
Effie A., married Robert Robson, of Stockholm.

(III) George Rufus, son of Marvin D. Smith, was born in Stockholm, N.Y. May 30, 1850. He was educated in the district schools there, and at the Lawrenceville Academy. During his boyhood and for many years after he came of age, he wokred in his father's grist mill and shingle mill. He spent 1871 in the western states, and since 1873 has been engaged in farming. He owns farms in Winthrop, Stockholm and Potsdam, comprising about six hundred acres of land.
In politics he is a Republican. He was constable for fourteen years in the town of Stockholm, inspector of elections fourteen years, and deputy sheriff nine years. He was elected sheriff of St. Lawrence count in 1895, and took office in 1896, removing at that time from Stockholm to Canton, the county seat. Since his term of office expired in 1899 he has lived at Potsdam Village, and devoted his time to his farming interests. In 1904-05 he was street commissioner of Potsdam; also superintendent of the Agricultural Society. He is a stockholder in the Senator Trousers Manufacturing Company, of Potsdam, and served as vice-president in 1908. In 1906-07 he was superintendent of an important Corporation Company, of St. Louis, Missouri, having charge of construction of electric car lines, bridges, etc.
He is a member of Raquette River Lodge, No. 213, Free Masons, of Potsdam; of Excelsior Lodge, Odd Fellows, and of the local grange, Patrons of Husbandry. He is an active and prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and a leader of the boys' class in the Sunday school.
He married (first) Sept. 12, 1871, Clara A. Larrabee; (second), Sept. 13, 1883, Susan E., daughter of James and Louise E. (Emery) Curtis, and widow of Bliss Jenkins.
Children of first wife:
1. Edward E., married Marie Scott, and has son George.
2. Alberta M., born May 3, 1875, married J. H. Dale, accountant in First Mechanics Bank, New York.
3. Clara Belle, July 13, 1879, died May 19, 1898.
4. Wilton A., born June 7, 1886; real estate broker in Kansas City, Missouri; married Aroline, daughter of Henry Pert (deceased), of Potsdam; child, Dorothy C., born April 16, 1906.
5. Winford A., born Aug. 18, 1888; musician; lives with parents; married, Aug. 19, 1909, Winifred L., daughter of Benjamin and Emma (Hoyt) Cook, of Parishvile.
6. Glenn W., born March 26, 1892.
7. Grace B., June 18, 1894.


Trumbull Smith, the first of the name of whom we have record, was born in Connecticut, Nov. 29, 1782, died at Constablville, N.Y., March 9, 1862. He was of English stock. He was a triplet, one of three sons. General Wasington, when journeying through Connecticut on horseback, heard of the birth of the triplets, and varied his route to visit them. On invitation of the parents he named the children, one after his close friend Governor Trumbull, one after one of his generals, Nathaniel Greene, and the other for himself, George Washington. He presented each with an English gold sovereign.
Trumbull Smith received a limited common school education. He spent most of his earlier years of manhood as a pioneer of northern New York and Canada, finally settling in Lewis county, N.Y., where his family was reared. He fought strenuously with the hard conditons of early days, rising at two or three o'clock in the morning to pound out his crop of grain with the old-style flail. On his farm were beech, maple, birch, ash, butternut, basswood and spruce trees.
Trumbull Smith married, Dec. 31, 1807, Betsey Lyman, daughter of Ezekiel Lyman (see Lyman XXXI). She was born Nov. 10, 1791, died Dec. 4, 1857.
1. Lyman, see forward.
2. Francis, born Dec. 6, 1811, died Dec. 14, 1891.
3. Harrison, June 22, 1813, died Feb. 1892.
4. Eldridge, April 5, 1816, died Feb. 23, 1904.
5. Isaac, May, 1818, died Aug. 21, 1851.
6. Betsey, April 9, 1820, died Aug. 14, 1891.
7. Royal A., March 15, 1822, died April 16, 1900; was a volunteer soldier from Wisconsin in the heavy artillery at Alexandria, Virginia.
8. Sally Ann, April 28, 1824, died aged two years.
9. Julia Ann, June 4, 1827.
10. Sally M., Sept. 7, 1830, died, aged four years.
11. Caroline A., May 24, 1832, died Dec. 3, 1906.
12. Emmeline, April 16, 1834.
Three of these sons and two daughters, after their marriages, located in Wisconsin, and the remainder of the famikly settled in northern New York. At the family reunion in 1885, at the old homestead, five sons and four daughters were present.

(II) Lyman, eldest child of Trumbull and Betsey (Lyman) Smith, was born Aug. 4, 1809, died Jan. 26, 1892. He followed agriculture throughout the active years of his life.
He married, Nov. 26, 1833, Jerusha, born Sept. 13, 1810, died Nov. 15, 1879, daughter of James and Clarissa (Burnham) Crofoot.
James C., born Nov. 7, 1835.
Perrry R.
Willard B.
Clara, born Dec. 15, 1845.
John L., see forward.
Isaac L. (q.v.), born Feb. 10, 1851.

(III) John L., fifth child of Lyman and Jerusha (Crofoot) Smith, was born in West Turin, N.Y. Jan. 30, 1849. He was educated at Belleville Academy, Jefferson county, N.Y., and at Cazenovia (N.Y.) Seminary. He began farm life early, and continued a farmer of the town of West Turin until 1904. He then retired to Port Leyden, where he engaged in life and fire insurance business, also following the same lines at Lyons Falls. During his farmer days he was an active member of the Patrons of Husbandry, holding the office of master of a grange and officially connected with the county council.
He is a Republican, and first entered public life in 1893, when he was chosen overseer of the poor, being unamimously renominated in 1896 and being elected by a handsome majority. He was a delegate to the state convention of 1896, and in the county convention of Lewis county in 1899 he was chosen candidate for the state legislature over three other aspirants for the office. He was elected the following November, and during the following session of the house served upon the public lands, forestry, agriculture and claims committees. In 1890 he was again renominated and elected by a large majority. At the session of 1901 he was appointed chairman of the committee on public lands and of forestry, and served as a member of the committees on agriculture, privilege and elections.
He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, affiliating with Turin Lodge, No. 184, and of the Patrons of Husbandry. His religious connection is with the Congregational church.
Mr. Smith married, Dec. 10, 1870, at Turin, N.Y., Abbie C. Hart, born Feb. 10, 1845, at Turin, daughter of Sylvester and Abigail Hart. Mr. Hart was a millwright of the county. Children of Mr. and Mrs. Hart: Helen, Stephen, Dempster, Laura J., Abbie C. Three other children died in infancy.
Children of Mr. and Mrs. Smith:
1. Lyman, born Aug. 9, 1872; educated in the Turin public schools and at Ives Seminary, Antwerp, N.Y.; married (first) Florence Edgerton, born Feb. 17, 1878, died June, 1894, leaving one child, Clarence Arthur. Lyman Smith married (second), Nov. 2, 1902, Fannie Barrow.
2. Willard H., born Jan. 10, 1875; educated at Turin; is general agent for the Superior Drill Company; married Clara Hills, June 20, 1900; children: Eloise M. and Raymond W.


(III) Isaac Lyman Smith, son of Lyman Smith (q.v.), was born at Turin, Feb. 10, 1851, and educated in the public schools of his native town and at Cazenovia, N.Y. His early life was passed on his father's farm. He left home and spent several years in the western states. He was then for two years in the produce business in New York City and Philadelphia. In 1878 he purchased the homestead of his father and followed farming with much succes. He also owned a factory and manufactured butter. In 1888 he leased the farm and removed to his large and beautiful residence in the village of Turin, where he has since made his home. Since leaving the farm he has devoted his attention exclusively to the produce business, buying and selling all kinds of farm products, especially potatoes, of which he ships large quantities t the markets of the country.
In politics he is a Republican, and he has taken a lively interest in public affairs, though never seeking public office for himself. He was president of the incorporated village, however, when the water works were installed in Turin, and to his efforts the village is largely indebted for its fine gravity system of domestic water supply. He is chairman of the water commissioners at the present (1910) time. He was for many years president of the board of education of the district, and has been particularly interested in the matter of public education.
He attends the Presbyterian church, and contributes liberally to its benevolences and support. He belongs to Turin Grange, Patrons of Husbandry.
He married, Dec. 18, 1884, at Turin, Estella J. Ives, daughter of Mather S. and Jennie M. (Moshier) Ives. (See Ives.)
1. Isaac Ives, born at West Turin, April 5, 1886; educated in Turin Union School and Buffalo College of Pharmacy; now traveling salesman for Gibson Drug Company of Rochester, N.Y.
2. Albert Aubrey, born at West Turin, Oct. 25, 1888; died March 12, 1889.
Born in Turin:
3. Sherman Devere, May 14, 1890; educated at Turin Union School and Rochester Business College; now associated with his father in business.
4. Earl Selden, Nov. 16, 1893.
5. Aubrey, Jan. 28, 1897.
6. Theodore Roosevelt, Oct. 7, 1901.
7. Kenneth Max, Nov. 13, 1903.


Tradition has it that near the close of the seventeenth century, quite a young man, a lad, was kidnapped in the city of London and taken on board a merchant vessel lying in the river Thamse, bound for and ready to sail to the shores of the then British colonies in America. It is understood that during the voyage he discharged the duties of cabin boy. The passage proving to be a very boisterous one, and not being accustomed to that kind of toil or any of its associations, he became so disgusted with the life of the sailor that, on the arrival of the vessel in New York, he succeeded in escaping from the custody and control of the captain, and for a number of days kept himself secreted to avoid recapture. After remaining in New York for some time, he crossed the river to what was then known as East Jersey, where he probably remained as long as he lived. There he married and became the father of four children: Richard, Samuel, Hiram and Rachel. Of Richard nothing is known. Samuel is mentioned below. Hiram reared four sons and four daughters. Rachel married a Mr. Pierson, removed from the "Jersies," and settled upon land which is alleged to have remained in the family for a number of years, and was subsequently owned and occupied by the Hon. Ezra Meech, in Shelburn, Vermont.

(II) Samuel, eldest son of the afore-mentioned family, was born in the then colony of New Jersey in the year 1720. He was a shoemaker by trade. He resided at Passipany, Morristown and Boonton, New Jersey, and in the fall of 1770 he and his family commenced their tedious journey to the then almost unbroken wilderness of Vermont. Their mode of conveyance was the "Jersey wagon," drawn by a yoke of oxen. They journeyed by slow and toilsome stages until they arrived at the head waters of Lake Champlain at a place then called Skeenesboro, now the village of Whitehall, N.Y. There being no roads thence north in the direction of their route, they were obliged to dispose of their team. They then shipped their effects on board a batteau and sailed down the lake and landed, it is supposed, at some point within the present limits of the town of Panton, where they remained upon lands subsequently owned and occupied by Nathan Spaulding, Esq., for about three years, when they removed to Bridport, where they erected a log house, cleared and improved the land, remaining until they were driven off by the British and Indians, who also burned the house. Soon after the removal of Mr. Smith and family to Bridport, in 1773, such uncertainty, disquietude and unsafety had arisen among the settlers, in consequence of the quarrel between the government of the colony of New York and the "Hampshire Grant" men, and especially upon the reception of the news of the advance of Burgoyne's army in 1777, that most of the families, especially those who had settled on, or near, the banks of Lake Champlain, left their new homes and moved to safer and more quiet localities. Some few, however, remained, among whom was the family of Mr. Smith, and although frequently annoyed by the impertinent demands and hostile demonstrations of the "York State" men, they succeeded in maintaining full possession of the domicile, living in peaceful and friendly relations with the Indians, who frequently visited the settlement, until only a short time previous to Carlton's raid. On the reception of the news of the approach of that irregular and destructive band, though led on by Major Carlton, an officer on the line of the British army, the family of Mr. Smith, with the exception of Nathan and Marshall, after selecting what articles could be best carried on their backs and in their arms, the bundle being apportioned according to the age and strength of each, left their home and started through the forest to the stockade forts at Pittsford. Nathan and Marshall remained for the purpose, if possible, of securing and secreting the fall crops, which were then on the ground.

Samuel Smith married Hannah Allen, born in 1726; in many respects she was a remarkable woman. Of quiet and retiring habits, yet she possessed an intellect of no ordinary mould, and a mine at once strong, conprehensive and discriminating. Although denied the advantage of early culture, or of refined society or of extensive reading, yet she was ever regarded as an agreeable companion, a judicious counselor, a valued friend. A peculiar trait in her character was her remarkable self-possession. Taught in the school of adversity and of danger, she had learned, by experience, the necessity of never allowing her judgment to be controlled by her fears, and that trait of character was often put to the severest tests, as it not infrequently occurred that amid the dangerfs and alarms with which they frequently found themselves surrounded during their border life, her own quiet, prudent forethought, her unflinching resolution, saved the family from capture, separation and perhaps even death. With her worthy husband, she struggled against poverty, assisting to rear and provide the means of support for a numerous family, with a courage that never faltered, with a fortitude that knew no despondency, with a judgment that seldom erred, with a hope always animating, with a faith always cheerful; and by example of both parents, their children early acquired the habits of active industry and honest aquisition, and she instilled into their youthful minds a respect and reverence for the truth of the gospel, and taught them the cardinal doctrines of the Christian religion.
Samuel Smith and his wife died at the home of their son, Nathan, the former Nov. 11, 1798, aged seventy-eight; and the former Dec. 22, 1800, aged seventy-four.
1. Betsey, born 1742, married (first) a Mr. Baldwin; children: Hannah, Nellie, Rhoda, Mary and Enoch Baldwin; she married (second) a Mr. Edwards; children: Calvin and Isaac Andrews.
2. Asher, born in Pissipany, New Jersey, Dec. 4, 1744; married, April 16, 1769, Eunice Lumm; children: Daniel, Caleb, Isaac, Anna, Keturah, Samuel, Squier, Electa, Oliver and Salome.
3. Rhoda, born in 1747; married 1762, Bethuel Ferrand; children: Daniel, Betsey, Moses, Hannah, Bethuel, Samuel, Rebecca, Richard, Eneanor and Nancy.
4. Cloe, born 1749; married Hiram Ward; children: Caleb, Stephen, Rhoda, Smith, Susan, Henry, Jonas, Phebe, Hiram and Hannah.
5. Nathan, birn in Passipany, New Jersey, April 16, 1752; married, 1784, Mrs. Wait Trask, nee Wait Allen, and removed to Birdport; children: Lucy, Allen, Hiram and Harriet.
6. Marshall, see forward.
7. Salome, born in April, 1759; married, in Feb. 1775, Elijah Grandy; children: Edmund, Elijah, Rhoda, Salome and Jacob.
8. Jacob, born in 1765; married (first) Sally Picket; children: Betsey, Hannah and Luther; (second) Polly Bond.
9. Hannah, born in Oct. 1769; married May 1, 1787, David Doty; children: Ira, Marshall, David F. and Sally.

(III) Marshall, third son of Samuel and Hannah (Allen) Smith, was born in 1757, consequently was but thirteen years old when his father's family left New Jersey, being of somewhat tender age to endure the fatigues and suffer the hardships as arranged for his brother Nathan and himself to pursue, in order to reach their destination in Vermont. During the residence of his father's family in Panton, Marshall remained with them, occasionally laboring for and with the neighbors, or assisting Nathan "cropping it," - raising a crop of wheat, or corn or potatoes, as opportunity afforded, and being infrequently intrusted with, and put in charge of, the collected grists of grain the neighbors were obliged to have conveyed to Skeenesboro for grinding, a journey that frequently required from six to eight days to accomplish. He removed with the family to Bridport, in 1773, and remained laboring with his brother Nathan, a portion of the time clearing and improving the lands upon which each subsequently settled; and when not otherwise employed, cutting and boating wood across the lake in the historic Smith's scow, to suppply the garrison at Crown Point, and the families in the neighborhood with fuel, receiving therefor but a small amount in cash, and the balance in such commodities as were necessary for the sustenance and comfort of the family, until the time of their flight and burning of their house, in 1778, and his own captivity. On the flight of the family, as related in the sketch of Samuel Smith, above referred to, many articles of importance and value were necessarily left behind. The brothers, Nathan and Marshall, with a young man by the name of Ward, were captured from the old log house on Nov. 4, 1778, and immediately taken on board a British vessel and taken to Quebec, where they arrived Dec. 6. After being incarcerated during two dreary winters in that high latitude, they were taken out of prison on April 25, 1780, and carried down from Quebec, some ninety miles upon the north side of the St. Lawrence riverf, and set to work on a previous contract, in getting out timber. They remained at work until May 13, when a party of eight, with the assistance of a kind Frenchman, obtained a batteau, and crossed the river. On reaching the opposite shore, they divided into two parties, Nathan, Marshall, John Ward and Justin Sturdfit comprising one party. They traveled through the wilderness with no guide, save the pocket compass, in the possession of Nathan, for six days and when nearly opposite to Quebec they were dicpyed into a house and made prisoners by two Frenchmen, one armed with a gun and the other with an axe. They finally succeeded in escaping, after which they kept their course up the river for four days, and when nearly opposite the "Three Rivers," they were captured by Indians. They were taken across the river to the Three Rivers jail and there imprisoned in a second story room, where, during the space of three weeks, with a jack-knife, they succeeded in cutting a hole through the partition, which admitted them into an adjoining rom that contained a window with a broken grate, through which they could pass to the ground, by means of a rope made of bed blankets, and in this manner they escaped, and finally arrived at the forts in Pittsford, thence on to Rutland. The monotony of their prison life, during their incarceration in Quebec jail was greatly relieved by the kind office of an educated Scottsman, also a prisoner, who offered to instruct all who cared to improve the opportunity. The Smith brothers readily embraced the offer, and having a few silver coins in their possession, they supplied themselves with some of the most necessary elementary books, and assideuously applied themselves to the work of acquiring so much of education as their limited facilites would allow, and under the instruction of their faithful and competent teacher, they rapidly advanced themselves in reading and writing, and had made such proficiency in mathematics, that previous to the final separation from their friend, they each had acquired a very accurate knowledge of surveying, a knowledge which, to Marshall especially, was of eminent service in the responsible position he was subsequently called upon to fulfill.

During the interval of about four years, from the time of their arrival from captivity, at the forts, at Rutland, in June, 1780, until the organization of the town of Bridport, in 1784, we have been able to learn but little of the whereabouts of Marshall Smith. He must, however, in the meantime have returned to the old place, and become a resident of the town, as we learn, from the records that at its organization, Marshall Smith was elected Proprietors' collector and treasurer, and constable of the town. he became extensively engaged in surveying, as very many original papers in that department, upon record, bear his name as such. He frequently represented the town in the state legislature, and held important offices of trust and profit, and for a number of years was an acting justice. He was a man of quick perceptions, active mind, ready judgment, and of large business capacity. So much of his time was absorbed in public business, and in the discharge of public duties that but a small portion was devoted to the interests of farming. He was engaged, however, to a greater or less extent in the sale and exchange of lands, and in driving cattle and sheep both to a northern and southern market. He was an ardent, active politician of the old Jeffersonaian school, having no sympathy with either the "wall of brass" idea of the elder Adams, or the anti-republican culminations of the Hartford convention.

Marshall Smith married Polly Case, daughter of one of the largest land holder in western Vermont.
Phelps, see forward.
all of whom survive him.
He died at the house of his brother-in-law, David Doty, in 1815, in the fifty-ninth year of his age.

(IV) Phelps, son of Marshall and Polly (Case) Smith, was born at Milton, Vermont, 1788, died in Loon Lake, New York in 1861. He was educated in his native town, and engaged in the lumber business there. He owned a grist mill and saw mill, and for any years had a line of stage coaches, known as the Red Bird Line, plying between Burlington, Vermont, and Montreal, carrying the mails and doing a flourishing business. He was lieutenant of his company in the war of 1812. He spent his last years at the home of his son at Loon Lake, N.Y., and died there.
He married Marilla Woodruff, of Milton, Vermont. She died in 1892, aged ninety-five years and six months.
Lewis F.
Austin, see forward.

(V) Apollos Austin, son of Phelps and Marilla (Woodruff) Smith, was born in Milton, Vermont, Aug. 20, 1825. He was educated in the public schools of his native town.
As a young man he was in the canal boat business on Lake Champlain, also traveling salesman. Paul Smith came to the Adirondacks from Vermont, on a hunting trip with Captain Tucker in 1851, and returned on a similar trip with a Vermont friend. In 1853 he leased from a man named Loveland a hunters' cabin on the shores of Loon Lake for a term of five years, and there entertained hunters and fishermen, the place being known as Adirondack Tavern. In 1858 he built a hunters' lodge, about one and one-half miles from Loon Lake on the north branch of Saranac river, where he remained for one year. It was here that he learned that it was necessary to be in a section with more water, and he accordingly moved to his present (1910) location at Paul Smith's on the St. Regis and Osgood chain of lakes, where he built his original hotel property, opening his hotel to his accomodations from time to time until he now has rooms for five hundred guests, and owns thirty-one thousand acres of land in the vicinity, besides five thousand acres on the Saranac river, all forest land. At a recent agricultural meeting he was designated as the largest farmer and land owner in Franklin county. When asked what he raised, he answered, "Mostly spruce gum."
He has sold camp sites to many people of wealth from New York City, and camps costing thousands of dollars have been built in the vicinity. Paul Smith's Hotel is one of the best known and most popular in the Adirondacks and has held its supremacy for many years. The most distinguished men and most prominent families of the country have been entertained there. Several presidents of the United States have been guests of Mr. Smith. On the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad the station now called Gabriels was formerly Paul Smith's station, and on the New York & Ottawa Railroad the station at Brandon was formerly called Paul Smith's.
In 1907 Mr. Smith built a railroad from Lake Clear to his hotel, a distance of seven miles, and Mr. Smith has the unique distinction of being president of a railroad that he built, owns and controls. It is called the Paul Smith Railroad, and the motive power is furnished by a large, specially-made electric locomotive capable of hauling three Pullman cars and heavy freight trains.
Mr. Smith has large lumber interets, owns numerous saw mills and also a mill for the manufacture of doors, sash, blinds, house finish and other building material. In electric light and power plants alone he has spent more than six hundred thousand and his plants furnish light and power to Saranac Lake, Bloomingdale, Paul Smith's, and adjoining towns. Mr. Smith bought the Foquet Hotel in Plattsburgh in 1875 and conducted it until 1905. He is president of the Paul Smith Hotel Company, of the Paul Smith Electric Light and Power and Railroad Company, and senior partner of Paul Smith & Sons Lumber Company. He conducts a general store, a telegraph, telephone, freight and passenger business, and is postmaster of Paul Smith's, N.Y.
In politics he is a Democrat. He has been supervisor of the town of Brighton, and always takes a leading part in town affairs. He has been generous in supporting every project to further the welfare of the town and Adirondack resorts. He has contributed liberally to the bulding funds of the Protestant Episcopal, Methodist Episcopal, Presbyerian, and Roman Catholic churches.

Mr. Smith married, May 5, 1859, Lydia Martin, born in 1834 at Ausable Forks, Essex county, N.Y., died in 1891, daughter of Hugh and Sarah (Godell) Martin.
1. Henry B. L., born March 4, 1861, died 1891; was supervisor of the town of Brighton for seven years.
2. Phelps, see forward.
3. Apollos Austin Jr., born Aug. 23, 1870; secretary of the Paul Smith Hotel Company, and the Paul Smith Electric Light and Power and Railroad Company, and member of the firm of Paul Smith & Sons, lumber manufacturers; member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Plattsburgh; married, Nov. 1909, Mrs. Carrie Britton, of Cleveland, Ohio.

(VI) Phelps (2), son of Appolos Austikn and Lydia (Martin) Smith, was born at Brighton, N.Y. June 4, 1862. He attended the public schools of Plattsburgh, Crown Point and Westport, N.Y.; South Williamstown, Mass., and the Eastman Business College at Poughkeepsie, N.Y. He became associated with his father in the hotel business and conducted the Foquet House in Plattsburgh for nine years. He is treasurer of the Paul Smith Hotel Company and of the Paul Smith Electric light and Power and Railroad Company, and is a member of the firm of Paul Smith & Sons, merchants and manufacturers of lumber.
In politics he is a Democrat, and has served the town of Brighton on the board of supervisors, and has been a candidate of his party for assemblyman. He is a member of White Face Mountain Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Saranac Lake; Malone Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; De Soto Commandery, Knights Templar, of Plattsburgh; Oriental Temple, Mystic Shrine, of Troy, N.Y.; Albany Sovereign Consistory, of Albany, having taken the thirty-second degree. Scottish Rite Masonry. He is also a member of the local lodge of Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Plattsburgh, and of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Plattsburgh, and Maccabees, of Brighton. He is unmarried.


Robert Smith, the progenitor of this branch of the family, came from England to America in 1638, when about fifteen years of age. Nothing is known of his antecedents in England. After his arrival in America he settled in Essex county, Mass., where he married Mary French, who bore him ten children. He purchased two hundred and eighty acres of land, located partly in Boxford township and partly in Topsfield. He died Aug. 30, 1693.
Thomas, born about 1656, married Martha Knowlton.
Mary, Oct. 28, 1658, married, Feb. 2, 1680, John Towne.
Phebe, Aug. 26, 1661, married June 24, 1684, Jacob Towne.
Ephraim, Oct. 29, 1663, married, Sept. 6, 1694, Mary Ramsdell.
Samuel, Jan. 26, 1666, see forward.
Amy, Aug. 16, 1668, married Aug. 10, 1687, Joseph Towne.
Sarah, June 25, 1670, died Aug. 28, 1673.
Nathaniel, Sept. 7, 1672, died before 1719.
Rebecca Symonds.
Mariah, Dec. 18, 1677, married Peter Shumway.

(II) Samuel, son of Robert and Mary (French) Smith, born Jan. 26, 1666, died in Topsfield, Mass. July 12, 1748. After the death of his father, by the request of the family, he became sole administrator of the estate. After the final settlement he moved from Boxford to Topsfield.
He married, Jan. 25, 1707, Rebecca, daughter of John Curtis.
Children, born at Topsfield:
1. Phebe, Jan. 8, 1708; married, March 27, 1733, Stephen Averel.
2. Mary, Aug. 14, 1711; married, May 27, 1732, Amas Towne.
3. Samuel, Jan. 26, 1714, see forward.
4. Rebecca, Oct. 1, 1715; married, June 17, 1740, John Balch.
5. Elizabeth, July 8, 1718; married, April 17, 1740, Eliezer Gould.
6. Hephzibah, May 12, 1722; married, July 11, 1745, William Gallop.
7. Robert, April 25, 1724.
8. Susanna, May 2, 1726, died May 5, 1741.
9. Hannah, April 5, 1729; married John Peabody.

(III) Samuel (2), son of Samuel (1) and Rebecca (Curtis) Smith, born Jan. 26, 1714, died Nov. 14, 1785. He filled a number of public offices in Topsfield, Mass., his native town, namely: grand juryman, road supervisor, member of committee of safety, assessor, selectman, moderator of Topsfield town meetings, reconizer of debts, reprsentative to the general court, town clerk, delegate to the provincial congress at Concord, Oct. 11, 1774, and again Jan. 19, 1775, and chairman of the local "Tea Committee." He was active throughout the revolutionary war and was known as Captin Samuel Smith, a title he received from service in the militia.
He married (first) May 27, 1734, Priscilla, daughter of Zaccheus and Elizabeth (Curtice) Gould; she died Sept. 25, 1744. He married (second) Oct. 8, 1745, Priscilla Gould, cousin of his first wife.
Children of first wife, born in Topsfield:
1. Priscilla, Sept. 26, 1735; married, Sept. 15, 1755, Joseph Kimball.
2. Samuel, Oct. 28, 1737; married Jan. 2, 1760, Rebecca Towne.
3. Vashti, Oct. 5, 1739; married, Sept. 15, 1763, Solomon Curtis; married (second) 1767, Jacob Hobbs.
4. Susanna, Jan. 24, 1742; married, 1767, Isaac Hobbs.
5. Asael, see forward.

(IV) Asael, son of Samuel (2) and Priscilla (Gould) Smith, born March 4, 1744, died at Stockholm, St. Lawrence county, N.Y., Oct. 31, 1830. His early life was spent in Topsfield.
He served in the American army during the revolution. On account of sectarian intolerance, deciding to leave Topsfield, he went first to northern New Hampshire, thence to Tunbridge, Vermont, where, with the aid of his sons, he cleared a large tract of forest for a farm. In his later years he made his home with his son Silas, at Stockholm, N.Y.
He married, Feb. 12, 1767, Mary, daughter of Moses Duty.
Children, six born at Topsfield, Mass., and five at Derryfield, Hillsboro county, New Hampshire:
1. Jesse, April 20, 1768; married Jan. 20, 1792, Hannah Peabody.
2. Priscilla, July 12, 1771; married, Aug. 24, 1796, John C. Waller.
3. Joseph, July 12, 1771; married Jan. 24, 1796, Lucy Mack.
4. Asahel, May 21, 1773; married, March 21, 1802, Elizabeth Schellenger.
5. Mary, June 4, 1775; married, Dec. 22, 1796, Isaac Pierce.
6. Samuel, Sept. 15, 1777; married, Feb., 1816, Frances Wilcox.
7. Silas, Oct. 1, 1779, see forward.
8. John, June 16, 1781; married, Sept. 11, 1815, Clarissa Lyman.
9. Susannah, May 18, 1783.
10. Stephen, April 23, 1785, died July 25, 1802.
11. Sarah, May 16, 1789; married, Oct. 15, 1809, Joseph Sanford.

(V) Silas, son of Asael and Mary (Duty) Smith, born Oct. 1, 1779, at Derryfield, New Hampshire, died in Pittsfield, Pike county, Illinois, Sept. 13, 1839. In 1809 he accompanied the family to Stockholm, St. Lawrence county, N.Y., where the four sons, Jesse, Asahel, Silas and John, secured farming land. Silas engaged in farming during the summer and in winter worked at the cooper trade, making full-bound barrels, his sons assisting him on the farm and in the shop. He served as captain of militia in the war of 1812.
He married (first) Jan. 26, 1806, Ruth Stevens, who died March 14, 1826; (second) March 4, 1828, Mary, daughter of Nathaniel and Mary (Tupper) Aikens.
Children of first wife, born in Stockholm, N.Y.:
1. Charles, Nov. 11, 1806, died May 7, 1809.
2. Charity, April 1, 1808, died June 2, 1888.
3. Curtis Stevens, Oct. 29, 1809, see forward.
4. Samuel, Oct. 3, 1811, died March 7, 1826.
5. Stephen, June 8, 1815, died Feb. 20, 1891.
6. Susan, Oct. 1, 1817, died Nov., 1846.
7. Asael, Oct. 12, 1819, died May 15, 1834.
Children of second wife:
8. Silas Sanford, Oct. 26, 1830.
9. John Aikens, July 6, 1832, died Nov. 27, 1834.
10. Jesse Nathaniel, Dec. 2, 1834.

(VI) Curtis Stevens, son of Silas and Ruth (Stevens) Smith, born Oct. 29, 1809, died in 1862. He was educated in the schools of Stockholm. N.Y., his native town. He learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed througout the active years of his life, and lived and died in the town of his birth.
He married (first) Nov. 30, 1838, Charlotte Smith, who died Aug. 10, 1849; (second) May 15, 1851, Celia Euphrasia, born May 23, 1809, died June 28, 1857, daughter of Isaac and Polly (Mills) Ross, who were married in 1802; Isaac Ross was born in 1788 and served in the war of 1812.
Child of first wife:
Ruth, born Oct. 4, 1845, died July 29, 1846.
Children of second wife:
Ezra Ross, born July 25, 1852, died May 1, 1853.
William Curtis, see forward.

(VII) William Curtis, son of Curtis Stevens and Celia Euphrasia (Ross) Smith, was born in Brasher Falls, N.Y. April 11, 1857. He attended the town schools, after which he pursued a course of one year at Franklin Academy, at Malone, and one year at Lawrenceville Academy. he followed farming throughout his early manhood years, and took up the study of medicine with Dr. L.T. Sprague, of Brasher Falls, N.Y., remaining one year. He receive the degree of M.D. at the University of New York in New York City, graduating therefrom in 1881. He located in Brasher Falls the same year and continued the general practice of his profession until 1894, when he removed to Winthrop, town of Stockholm, where he remained up to the present time (1910), achieving success and a reputation for skill and knowledge along the line of his chosen profession.
He holds membership in the County Medical Society, Northern New York Medical Society, State Medical Association of New York, and New England Society of Railroad Surgeons.
He is a member of Lodge No. 541, F. and A.M., of Brasher Falls; St. Lawrence Chapter, R.A.M.; and St. Lawrence Commandery, K.T., of Canton.
He is a Republican in politics; for a quarter of a century he served in the capacity of coroner, and for nine years held the office of supervisor of the town of Stockholm.
He married, Dec. 2, 1882, Edith M., daughter of Julius and Charlotte (Cary) Tryon, a descendant of Governor Tryon.
Ethel Maude, born and died May 21, 1886.
Guy Lorenzo, born June 26, 1889, graduate of Syracuse University, a civil engineer.
Pauline Charlotte, born Nov. 28, 1899.


There were at Ipswich among the early settlers several of the name of Smith, but there is great difficulty in establishing the relationship. George Smith was of Ipswich in 1648; Richard Smith, of Ipswich, was there in 1641, and, curiously enough, we can locate him at Shroppum, county Norfolk, England, in 1651.
Thomas Smith came to Ipswich in the ship "James," April 15, 1635, and settled there; he was a weaver by trade, formerly of Romsey, England; removed to Newbury; his son Thomas, born 1654, died 1676.

(I) Thomas Smith, of Ipswich, perhaps son of George, mentioned above, and doubtless related to some of the other Smith settlers, was at Ipswich before 1677. He married Esther ____.
Children, born at Ipswich:
Thomas, 1677, mentioned below.
George, March 29, 1683.
Joseph, Sept. 21, 1685.
Mary, 1687.
Anthony, Oct. 14, 1732.

(II) Thomas (2), son of Thomas (1) Smith, was born at Ipswich, in 1677. He married Elizabeth ____(Cooley?). John Cooley was an early settler there.

(III) Cooley, son of Thomas and Elizabeth Smith, was born in Ipswich or vicinity, April 9, 1709. He was of Ipswich Hamlet, now Hamilton, Mass., and later of Middleton in that colony.
He married Sarah Burnham, of Ipswich.
Children, born at Middleton:
Ezekiel, June 3, 1731, died Nov. 19, 1737.
Peletiah (Paltiah), born Aug. 2, 1733.
Sarah, May 17, 1736.
Aaron, April 24, 1738.
Lucy, June 20, 1740.
Eunice, June 26, 1742.
Jemima, April 22, 1744.
Jacob, March 16, 1746.
David, Dec. 5, 1748.
James, Feb. 14, 1750, mentioned below.
Lydia, Nov. 9, 1755.
Naomi, April 25, 1757.

(IV) James, son of Cooley Smith, was born at Middleton, Feb. 14, 1750, and died at Mount Vernon, New Hampshire, Jan. 29, 1831. He first settled on the farm on the turnpike, now (1910) owned by R.G. Averill, where his sons Jesse, James and Luther, were born. He then purchased the farm in the north district, now or lately occupied by W.M. Gilson.
He married (first) in 1773, Mariah Rolfe, of Middleton, and removed to Mount Vernon, New Hampshire in 1778. She died at Mount Vernon, Dec., 1802, and he married (second) April 14, 1804, Sarah, widow of Phinehas Jones and daughter of Ephraim and Elizabeth (Ellenwood) Hildreth. She was born June 6, 1765, and died at Mount Vernon, Nov. 21, 1842.
Children of first wife:
Rogers, born at Middleton, June 12, 1776.
Rebecca, born 1778, at Amherst, married Major Robert Christie.
James, Feb. 8, 1784, mentioned below.
Luther, Dec. 27, 1786.
Mary, died in infancy.
Child of second wife:
Leander, Aug. 22, 1808.

(V) James (2), son of James (1) Smith, was born at Mount Vernon, New Hampshire, Feb. 8, 1784, and died there Sept. 26, 1809. He married, Jan. 1, 1805, Susannah White, of Lyndeborough.
Children, born at Mount Vernon, N.H.:
James G., Dec. 22, 1805, mentioned below.
Luther, Oct. 6, 1807, a foundryman, lived at Manchester, married Mary Eaton, of Hillsborough Bridge, N.H.
Mariah Rolfe, Jan. 11, 1810, died in infancy.

(VI) Rev. James Gilman Smith, son of James (2) Smith, was born at Mount Vernon, N.H. Dec. 22, 1805, and died April 10, 1888, at Plymouth, New Hampshire. He attended the public schools and studied for the ministry. He joined the Methodist Episcopal conference in 1826, and was actively engaged in his profession for twenty years. He had fourteen appointments in New Hampshire parishes, two in Vermont and one is Massachusetts. He preached at Salisbury, Mass., at Rochester, Landaff, Lancaster, Nashua, Plymouth and other town in N.H. His last parish was at Plymouth. He was placed on the superannunated list in 1846 and settled on a farm there at Baker's River. He was a gifted singer and able preacher.
He married, March 16, 1828, Polly Leavitt, born at Royalton, Vermont, March 4, 1801, died at Plymouth, N.H. Nov. 26, 1879, daughter of Thomas and Polly (Sleeper) Leavitt.
1. Joseph Nehemiah, born at Warren, Mass. Sept. 1, 1829; farmer at Plymouth; unmarried.
2. Francis Asbury, mentioned below.
3. Mary Lodema, born at Lancaster, April 15, 1844; graduate of State Normal Schoo, 1872; married Ezekiel E. Dustin, of Plymouth.

(VII) Francis Asbury, son of Rev. James Gilman Smith, was born at Salisbury, Mass., Nov. 29, 1837. He was educated in the public schools of Plymouth, N.H., at the academy there, at the Tilton Seminary, New Hampshire, and Wesleyan University from which he graduated in the class of 1859. In 1860 he taught school at Canaan, N.H., and began to study law in the office in Lawyer Weeks of that town. He was admitted to the bar in 1860, and later in the year took charge of a school at Carmel, Putnam county, N.Y. He continued the study of law and was admitted to the bar at Poughkeepsie, N.Y. in 1861. He began to practice later in the year at Johnstown, Fulton county, N.Y., in the office of Horace E. Smith, later dean of the Albany Law School.
He enlisete in the Third Regiment, New York Infantry, and was mustered into service at Albany, N.Y., Oct., 1861, and joined his regiment at Baltimore and was stationed at Fort McHenry until the spring of 1862. In March of that year he was detailed on guard on board the ships "Georgiana" and "Adelaide," and witnessed the battle betweeen the "Merrimac" and "Monitor" at Hampton Roads. He was commissioned second lieutenant of his company in June of 1862 at Subbock, Va. He was in the trenches in front of Fort Wagner, South Carolina. He fell sick and was sent to the Division hospital on Folly Island, and was honorably discharged from the service Nov. 13, 1863.
He went to Plymouth, New Hampshire, where he lived while recuperating. In the fall of 1864 he opened a law office at Fonda, Montgomery county, N.Y.
He was a Republican, and took an active part in the presidential campaign that resulted in the second election of Abraham Lincoln. He spoke in Montgomery, Otsego and Fulton counties.
He formed a partnership in the practice of law at Elizabethtown with Hon. Robert S. Hale, congressman from that district, and continued with him until January, 1879, at which time he took the office of county judge and surrogate for a term of six years, being re-elected without opposition, and held the office by re-election until 1891, when he resumed the practice of law in Elizabethtown. He was supervisor of the town several years and chairman of the board of supervisors one year.
He built his commodious residence of stone in 1886, and in 1894 erected an office building which is unique, after the style of the Adirondack summer camp building, with a large open fireplace.
He is a member of the Adirondack Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Elizabethtown; of S.C. Dwyer Post, Grand Army of the Republic, of Elizabethtown; of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion, New York Commandery.

Judge Smith married, April 11, 1863, Julia, born at Great Falls, New Hampshire, daughter of Rev. Elihu and Louisa (Hale) Scott. Rev. Elihu Scott was a Methodist clergyman and ws presiding elder at one time; he was a native of Vermont; Louisa (Hale) Scott was a daughter of Henry Hale, of Rindge, New Hampshire, later of Chelsea, Vermont, born in 1780. Nathan Hale, father of Harry Hale, was a soldier in the revolution; died Sept. 23, 1780. Children of Rev. Elihu and Louisa (Hale) Scott: George, died in infancy; George F., died aged twenty-one, in Boston; Joseph G., was principal of the State Normal School at Westfield, Mass.; Julia, mentioned above; Harry Hale, graduate of Dartmouth College, principal of school at Great Barrington, Mass.; Louise H. Scott.
Judge & Mrs. Smith have no children. They adoped a daughter, Louise Scott Smith.


Emery Smith was the son of Jesse Smith, who with his wife were among the first settlers of the town of Bangor, coming from Vermont in the early part of the last century. [This was published in 1910]. Emery Smith was born in Bangor, New York, in 1817, and died there in 1857.
He married Ordelia Barnum, in 1838.
Warren Henry, born Dec. 7, 1839, mentioned below.
Talmadge B., served in Company H., New York Volunteer Calvalry, enlisted in 1863, died while on passage from Morganza to New Orleans.
Mercy M., died July 14, 1866, aged nineteen years.
Jesse, lives at Ogden, Utah.

(II) Warren Henry, son of Emery Smith, was born at Bangor, N.Y., Dec. 7, 1839. He was educated in the public schools. During most of his life he has been a farmer. For a time he was in the meat and provisions business at Brushton.
He is a Republican in politics, and has held the office of highway commissioner and other town offices.
He is warden of the Protestant Episcopal church at Brushton. He is a member of North Star Lodge, No. 107, Free Masons, of Brushton.
He married Julia C. Gibson, of Bangor, N.Y., born Aug. 10, 1841.
1. Ordelia (deceased), married James E. Brady; child, Warren Carl Brady.
2. Nellie M., married William W. Hutchins, of Lowville, a farmer; children: Julia, Lloyd and Donald Hutchins.
3. Charles Henry, mentioned below.

(III) Charles Henry, son of Warren Henry Smith, was born at Malone, N.Y., Aug. 31, 1871. He was educated in the common schools and at Franklin Academy at Malone, N.Y. He leared the trade of printer, and at the age of twenty-one, in 1892, engaged in business as a job printer at Brushton. In 1899 he began the publication of a newspaper called Facts and Fallacies, and has continued it successfully to the present time. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Independent Order of Foresters.
In religion he is an Episcopalisn, and is clerk of the Vestry of St. Peter's Protestant Episcopal Church.
He married, Oct. 7, 1896, Nell E. Belknap, of Brushton, born Jan. 27, 1873, daughter of Willard W. W. and Jane (Emery) Belknap.
Dorothy, born July 19, 1897.
Rebah, Jan. 24, 1900.


Reuben Smith came from Albany, N.Y. to Chazy and settled in that part of the town now (1910) Altona. He was a farmer and also during his younger days a skillful hunter and trapper. He also manufactured hand rakes. He lived to the advanced age of ninety-five years, spending his last years in the home of his son, Samuel, at Ellenburgh, Clinton county, N.Y. His wife, who was of a southern family, lived to the age of eighty-seven.
Samuel, John, Willard, Levi (mentioned below), Atlantic.

(II) Captain Levi, son of Reuben Smith, was born in Chazy in 1834, died in Montana in 1902. He was educated in the public schools of his native town, and followed farming there until after the civil war. In 1866 he located at Gear, Gear county, Montana, on a ranch, and devoted the remainder of his life to the breeding and raising of horses for the market.
He served in the war in Company D, 96th New York Regiment.
He married Therinla, born at Chazy, died in 1903, aged seventy-one, daughter of David and Marybeth (Goodspeed) Bassett. Her parents were of old Plymouth colony stock. Her father came from Vermont to Chazy, of which he was one of the early settlers. He lived to the good old age of eighty-five.
Millason B., born at Chazy, died unmarried.
Loyal L., mentioned below.
Floyd L., mentioned below.

(III) Loyal L., son of Levi Smith, was born at Chazy in 1854. He was educated there in the common schools. For a number of yeras he was clerk in the general store of Miner Chamberlain at West Chazy, but left this position to engage in the commission business on his own account at Lowell, Mass. His business prospered and he handled the produce from a large and thrifty farming community.
He decided to go west, however, and went into business in Omaha, Nebraska, then in Chicago. As his property increased he devoted more of his time to financial affairs, and in Chicago his main business was that of promotor and stock broker. He was one of the organizers of the Steel and Wire Company. In 1898 he moved his headquarters to New York City and continued in business to the time of his death. He was in poor health for some months and was resting at Atlantic City where he died Feb. 11, 1908. The interment was at Plattsburgh. A few years before his death he purchased the Baker house, one of the finest residences in the city of Plattsburgh, and remodeled and improved it without regard to cost. He bought land adjoining the place and extended his grounds between Broad street and the river. He planted trees and shrubbery, laying out the lawns in a picturesque and charming way and making the estate one of the finest in this beautiful country.
He was a fine type of the self-made American, and made a great fortune by his shrewdness and foresight. As his means increased he made greater and wiser use of the money, giving to the poor and unfortunate and contributing generously to various public charities. During the year beforfe his death, when the movement for collecting a sum for the Young Men's Christian Association building in Plattsburgh was started, he came to the aid of the project and offered to give thirty-four thousand dollars to complete a fund with which to erect a building of much more elaborate design than was deemed praticable at the outset. As the work proceeded he took a keen personal interest in the preparataion of the detailed plans, and the Greek portico with marble columns was added at his suggestion. In his will he bequeathed three hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars to the Champlain Valley Hospital; one hundred and thirty-five thousand dollars to the Young Men's Christian Association; thirty-five thousand dollars to the Wesleyan Methodist church, West Chazy chapel and parsonage; fifth thousand dollars for the Vilas Home for Aged Women; fifty thousand dollars for the Home for the Friendless; two hundred thousand dolars to the city of Plattsburgh for a new city hall. The residuary estate, provided it exceeds a million dollars, is to form a trust fund, the income of which is to be devoted to the education of boys from Clinton county in preparatory schools and colleges. He also made generous bequests to his brother and other relatives.
He was fond of social life and belonged to many clubs and fraternal bodies. He was a prominent Free Mason and had taken the thirty-third degree in the Scottish Rite.
He was a member of the Manhattan Club of New York City.
He never married.

(III) Floyd L., son of Captain Levi Smith, was born at Chazy, May 15, 1858. He received a common school education there. He worked for some years as a laborer; for eleven years was employed in various cottom mills in New England; went to Chicago and for three years was manger of a flour store, and at length returned to Chazy, and, in partnership with his mother, purchased a farm, which he conducted until 1895, and since then has made his home in Plattsburgh. In 1908 he established the Plattsburgh Tobacco Company, wholesale and retail dealers in tobacco, in Plattsburgh. In 1908 he also bought the R. O. Barber farm of one hunded acres at Beekmantown, Clinton county, all of which is under cultivation, and Mr. Smith is making extensive improvements in the buildings, grounds and fields.
He also owns a maple sugar orchard of one hundred and fifty acres in Chazy, near the Altona line.
He is a member of Northern Light Lodge, No. 505, Free and Accepted Masons, West Chazy, and has been junior warden. In politics he is a Republican. For twelve years he was under sheriff of Clinton county.
He married (first) Mamie Harrington, of Hancock, New Hampshire; married (second) Helen Deerling, of Watertown, Wisconsin; married (third) Mattie A. Wheeler, of West Chazy, N.Y.
Children of second wife:
1. Loyal F., born at Altona, N.Y.
2. Etna M., born at Beekmantown, N.Y.; married Everett C. Town, of Burlington, Vermont; children: Smith Carpenter Town and Elizabeth Sayles Town, both born at Burlington.