NORTHERN NEW YORK
Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people and the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation.
New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co. 1910.
John Quinn was born in county Tyrone, province of Ulster, in the north of Ireland, in 1822, and died in Moira, N.Y., in 1899. He had little schooling in his native land, was was largely self-educated. He came to America in 1848 with the great emigration from Ireland to America due to the famine, and made his home at Bangor, N.Y., where his brother also located. He bought a farm in Moira in 1854, and conducted it the rest of his life. He was a thrifty, respectable and useful citizen. Have these webpages helped you?
In politics he was a Democrat. He married Bridget McGillian, born in Ireland in 1823, died in 1903.
1. Murty M., born in Ireland; a carpenter, living in Brushton, N.Y.
2. Sarah, born in Ireland, deceased.
3. John R., born in Bangor, N.Y.; a physician in Brooklyn, N.Y.
4. Joseph S., mentioned below.
5. Margaret, lives in Brushton.
6. Mary, deceased.
(II) Joseph S., son of John Quinn, was born in Bangor, N.Y., Dec. 22, 1849, and was educated there in the public schools, and at the Eastman Business College at Poughkeepsie, N.Y. He worked for three years for H. W. Conger, a produce and commission merchant in Brushton, and then succeeded him in business under the firm name of Quinn and Allen.
From 1877 this firm did a large and thriving business. Since 1883 he has been in the same line of business without a partner, and in addition to the produce business has established and built up, to large proportions, a department store in Brushton. He built the Quinn Block in that town in 1903, and his store is located in the new building. He was one of the organizers and founders of the First National Bank of Brushton, established in Februray, 1910, and is one of the board of directors.
In politics he is a Democrat, and he has been justice of the peace for a number of years.
He married, in 1879, Jennie Flemming, of Bangor, daughter of John Flemming.
1. Cleon J., born 1883; employed by Syracuse Dry Goods Company.
2. Henry, born 1886; graduate of Eastman Business College of Poughkeepsie; associated with his father in the store.
3. Otto, born in 1887; associated with his father in the store.
4. Mabel J., born in 1890; lives with her parents.
5. Mary F., born 1892, lives with her parents.
Please let us know in the Guestook.
[ Read / Sign my guestbook ] Get a free Guestbook
Jane's Site with over 2000 free databases!
These records (NNY) are part of her website.
Have these webpages helped you?