This name seems to be of English origin, though the family herein treated came from Ireland to New York more than a half century since. It is derived from "atten Ash," the place of residence of the first who took a surname, and is similar in character to Atwood, Atwater, and others. There were several of the name among the earliest immigrants to New England. Gregory Nash was in Charlestown, Mass., as early as 1630; Samuel was in Plymouth about the same time, certainly in 1632; William was of Charlestown in 1634; Thomas was in the New Haven colony in 1643 and perhaps earlier, while others came not much later. One hundred and seventy enlistments are credited to men of the name in the revolutionary rolls of Mass. alone, and the name is now widespread througout the United States.
(I) Samuel Nash was a native of county Cork, Ireland, where he was born about 1800, probably of English ancestry, and died in 1888 at Saranac, New York. He married, in Ireland, Bridget Cassidy, a native of the same locality as himself, and they came to America in 1849, bringing with them their five children. They proceeded to Saranac, N.Y., where Mr. Nash purchased a tract of wild land. This he cleared of timber at the expense of much labor, and made a comfortable home for himself and family, tilling the soil through the remainder of his years. His industry. upright character and prudence made him successful and gained for him a host of friends, and he was respected as a useful citizen.
1. Catherine, married Richard Murphy and now resides in Minnesota..
2. John, married Mary Murray of Saranac; now deceased.
3. Elizabeth, deceased wife of Thomas E. Healey of Plattsburgh. (see Healty).
4. Anna, wife of Michael Judge of Saranac.
5. Joseph, married Anna Moffitt, and resides in Dannemora, N.Y.
6. Robert F., see forward.
(II) Robert F., youngest child of Samuel and Bridget (Cassidy) Nash, was born May 31, 1852, at Saranac, N.Y., and passed his life down to 1908 on the paternal homestead in that town, which he still owns. He received a fair education and early entered the public service, filling several important offices of the town, including that of collector, which he filled for three years, was six years supervisor, and served for two years as fish and game warden. In the fall of 1907 he was elected sheriff of the county, and upon assuming the office the next year moved to Plattsburgh, where he has dealt largely in real estate. A faithful official and an honest man, he wins and retains the friendship and esteem of his contemporaries. He is a member of the Catholic church. He is a member of Plattsburgh Grange. P. of H., with which his wife is also affiliated, and of the Knights of Columbus, Plattsburgh Council, No. 255.
He married (first) Jan. 13, 1882, Mary J., daughter of Morris Healy. She died Oct. 2, 1885, and he married (second) Aug. 2, 1887, Anna, daughter of Patrick Buckley, of Black Brook, Clinton county. There were two children of the first marriage: William H., born March 10, 1883, and Maurice F., Feb. 12, 1885. Children of second wife: Agnes N., born Sept. 16, 1889; Catherine C., Jan. 6, 1892; Edward K., Aug. 11, 1894; Leo Samuel, May 30, 1898; Anna I., Feb. 12, 1902.
Thomas Nash, immigrant ancestor, was born in England and came to America with his wife and five children with the party of Rev. John Davenport, sailing July 26, 1637, in the ship "Hector," or its companion ship. The Davenport party sailed from Boston again, March 16, 1638, and settled in New Haven, Connecticut. There is a family tradition that Thomas Nash came from Lancaster, of Lancashire, England. The settler of Guilford seem to have attempted to get the New Haven blacksmith away, for he was one of the signers of the Guilford compace, June 1, 1638. But he settled at New Haven, and was admitted a freeman Sept. 1, 1640. He was the blacksmith and goldsmith for the settlers and the sixteen muskets owned by the town were placed in his care. He lived at what is now  the corner of Court street and Orange Temple, New Haven. He died May 12, 1658.
He married Margery, daughter of Nicholas Baker, of Hertfordshire, England.
1. Mary, married Roger Allen.
2. John, a captain.
3. Sarah, married Robert Talmage.
4. Sergeant Joseph, of Hartford.
5. Timothy, mentioned below.
(II) Lieutenant Timothy, son of Thomas Nash, was born in England or Leyden, Holland, 1626. He settled with his parents at New Haven, Conn., and he was there in 1645, and was admitted a freeman March 4, 1654. He learned his father's trade of gunsmith and blacksmith. He removed to Hartford, Feb. 11, 1660-61, and three years later he joined the pioneers at Hadley, Mass. His home lot there was on the west side of what is now  Main street, and was lately owned by Captain Elijah Smith. He became one of the leading citizens of old Hadley, serving on important committees and in most of the town offices; was a lieutenant of militia; deputy to the general court, 1690-91-95. He died May 13, 1699.
He married, 1657, Rebecca, daughter of Rev. Samuel Stone, of Hartford.
Rebecca, Samuel, Thomas, Joseph, Timothy, John, Samuel, Hope, Ebenezer, Daniel, mentioned below, Ephraim, Mary.
(III) Daniel, son of Lieut. Timothy Nash, was born in 1676, in Hadley, or some town where the family was taking refuge from the Indians. He followed his father's trade of blacksmith. His house and shop were on what is now  the corner of Bridge and Market streets, near the Episcopal chrcuh in Northampton. the old house was, at last accounts, still standing. In 1726 he sold his property and settled in the south precinct of Hadley, later removed to the upper Housatonic, now Great Barrington, 1739, and there probably lived the remainder of his days.
He was deacon of the Great Barrington church, having joined it April 26, 1746. He died there March 10, 1760 (gravestone).
He married, June 11, 1710, Experience Clark, of Northampton.
Sylvanus, Zerviah, Daniel, mentioned below, Experience, Joseph, Onesimus, Jonathan, Rebecca, Josiah and Phineas.
(IV) Daniel (2) son of Daniel (1) Nash, was born in Northampton, Sept. 13, 1715. He removed to Great Barrington with the family and settled in that part of Deerfield now Greenfield, about the time of his marriage. He was chosen on the first board of selectmen of Greenfield, July 3, 1753, and also on the committee to supply preaching for the first year; was slectman again in 1758 and afterward; representative to the provinical congress in 1774, convened at Salem, Oct. 7, 1775, and on the committee of safety and correspondence. He was a very corpulent man. The story is told that he was one of the three captors of a counterfeiter during the revolution, when the partiots were impoverished by British conterfeits of their paper money, but as the jail was full of Tories the judge had to sentence the criminal to a whipping. The other two were easy with their stripes, but Nash laid on heavily, breaking the wretch's skin at every stroke. That counterfeiter was never again seen in Greenfield.
Nash's home was first at the centre of Greenfield, later at South Meadows, and the house at last accounts  was still standing, about three-quarters of a mile form Nash's mill, on the west side of the road. He married (first) 1741, Abigail Stearns, who died Nov. 26, 1749. He married (second) 1750, Martha Wells. He died July 1, 1790.
Children of first wife:
Daniel, Experience, Sylvanus, Abigail.
Children of second wife:
Onesimus, died young; Onesimus, Tubal, mentioned below; Simeon, Joseph, Zenas, Quartus, Joseph, Martha.
(V) Tubal, son of Daniel (2) Nash, was born in Greenfield, Oct. 31, 1754. He was an officer on the government's side during Shay's rebellion. He was a respectable and worthy citizen. Late in life, with most of his family, he removed to Canton, St. Lawrence county, New York, where he died Oct. 20, 1816.
He married, Sept. 17, 1778, Mary Corse, born Jan. 15, 1756, died at Canton, Jan. 30, 1839.
1. Calvin, born June 16, 1779; settled in Canton.
2. Onesimus, Dec. 17, 1780; settled in Greenfield.
3. Martha, Aug. 17 1782; died Dec. 18, 1789.
4. Mary, August 28, 1784.
5. Robert, Feb. 28, 1786; died June 22 following.
6. Robert, Nov. 23, 1787.
7. Martha, April 24, 1790.
8. Harriet, Dec. 13, 1791.
9. Richard, Feb. 6, 1794.
10. Cynthia, July 12, 1796; married Frederick Cleaveland. (See Cleaveland, VI).
11. Thankful, Jan. 10, 1799.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids