NORTHERN NEW YORK
Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people
in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation.
New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co. 1910.
Transcribed by Coralynn Brown
The family of Murphy of Copenhagen and Lewis county, New York, was founded by John Murphy, one of the msot indomitable, energetic deserving Irishmen that ever landed on our shores, and his wife, Julia Quinn Murphy, who shared with him the hardships of an emigrant pioneer. John Murphy was the son of a well-to-do Irish farmer, and one of a family of four sons and two daughters. These sons at one time owned a good deal of property in Ireland, but got into litigation, which consumed a large part of it. John was a native of county Meath, Ireland, where he married Julia Quinn and had chldren:
Philip, Mary, Nancy, Patrick and John.
He sailed from Dublin for the United States April 30, 1830, on a ship "Hope of Harrington," with 812 other emigrants. They landed in New York and proceeding northward, settled in Carthage, Lewis county, N.Y., where he arrived July 2, 1830, his eartly possessions consisting of $1.50 in cash. But he had a stout heart and was full of energy and ambition. He obtained work as a farm hand on the farm then known as the McAllen and Snell, now (1910) as the Dyder farm, at $8 a month, and after his day's work was done would go out nights and thresh grain for the neighboring farmers, using the old-time flail. He continued this laborious life for eight years, practicing the strictest economy. The pair of Irish brogans he brought with him were carefully treasured during the warmer months and did winter serivce for four years. A pound of tea (cost $2) was so sparingly used that it lasted seven months. During the eight years as a farm laborer, he only lost seven days.
He and his wife were devout Catholics, and walked the nine miles to church in Carthage every Sunday morning, she wearing the calico dress bought on Saturday, made up by her own skillful hands, and doing duty for many following Sundays. At the end of eight years his $1.50 had considerably increased. He had supported his family, had $360 in cash, two young cows, a calf and an ox. He now had a start in the world; he invested his money in a small farm of about fifty acres near Copenhagen, which he cultivated and added to little by little until he owned seven hundred acres of improved land, with stock and farm fixtures. If success was ever fairly and honestly earned, John Murphy's was.
He died March 17, 1876. Julia, his wife, died April 12, 1865.
They are buried in the cemetery at Carthage.
(II) Philip, son of John and Julia (Quinn) Murphy, was born in county Meath, Ireland, Dec. 11, 1822, died Jan. 26, 1905. He was brought to Lewis county , N.Y. by his parents in 1830, and shared with them the toil and privations of the years already described. After leaving the homestead he settled in the town of Harrisburg, Lewis county, where he owned a farm and lived until his death.
He was a Catholic in religion and a Democrat in politics.
He married, Oct. 24, 1849, Catherine McDonald, born in county Queens, Ireland, Sept. 4, 1823.
1. Julia A., born July 17, 1850.
2. Mary J., Aug. 16, 1851.
3. Jane E., Aug. 26, 1852, married Edward Carroll.
4. John P., see forward.
5. Philip B., March 11, 1862.
6. William C., Feb. 10, 1865, died Jan. 29, 1906.
(III) John Patrick, eldest son and fourth child of Philip and Catherine (McDonald) Murphy, was born in Harrisburg, Lewis county, N.Y. April 16, 1857. He received a good education in the public schools and at Lowville Academy. He was reared to farm labor, and on arriving at manhood adopted it s his permanent occupation. He is a dairy farmer in a farm on 372 acres on which he maintains a herd of one hundred fine Ayrshire cattle. He is successful and prosperous in business, well known and respected throughout the county.
He is an active worker in the Democratic party, and whenever he has solicited the votes of his county friends and neighbors has always met hearty support. He was assessor of the town of Harrisburg in 1884, and in 1890 was the candidate of his party for sheriff of Lewis county. He was elected and served his term. In 1907 he was the successful candidate for supervisor, and again elected in 1909, making three terms in the office he now (1910) occupies. He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry, Copenhagen Grange, and a communicant of the Catholic Church of Copenhagen. Mr. Murphy is unmarried.
James Murphy was born in Prescott, Canada. His father came from Ireland to Canada, and died in middle life; his mother married twice afterward, (first) John Knoff, and (second) James Murphy.
He came to Ogdensburg, N.Y. when a small boy, with his mother, where he was educated in the public schools. When very young he enlisted in the army during the civil war, and served more than two years in Company C, Twenty-fourth New York Cavalry. The greater part of his service was with the Army of the Potomac.
On his return to Ogdensburg, he worked for a atime in a printing office, and then entered the employ of W. H. Young, a clothier. He eventually succeeded him in the ownership of the business, in partnership with John F. Calder, of Utica, under the firm name of the Utica Clothing Company. For some time the business was carried on in the same store, later occupied by O.D. Crane, and then the store was removed to its present (1910) location, 40 Ford Street. Mr. Murphy bought out his partner's interest, and continued the business with marked success up to the time of his death. His son was admitted to partnership, and the firm name changed to James Murphy & Son.
For eight years he served on the board of aldermen, his term expiring in 1909.
He was a Democrat. He was prominently mentioned as a candidate for mayor in 1908, but declined. His service in the common council was characterized by good judgment, and he retired with a fine record. As an honorable business man and upright citizen he was admired and respected by all. His genial manner and cheery good nature brought him hosts of friends, and his home life was ideal.
He was a faithful member of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, and a liberal contributor to its charities, including the school, the hospital and orphanage.
He was a member of the Century Club, Knights of Columbus, C.M.B.A., Royal Arcanum, and Ransom Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and a member of State Department Commander Daniels' staff.
In his early days he was a member of the City Band, playing the snare drum. While a member of the aldermanic board, as acting mayor, he made the address of welcome on the occasion of the convention of the Ancient Order of Hibernians, Sept. 8, 1907.
He married, 1868, Ann Kennedy, born in Ogdensburg, N.Y., daughter of Patrick Kennedy. One son, James Thomas, mentioned below.
(II) James Thomas, son of James Murphy, was born in Ogdensburg, April 27, 1870. He was educated in the public schools of his native city, and studied a term in Ottawa, Canada. At the age of eighteen he entered his father's store as bookkeeper, and learned the business thoroughly. In 1903 he was taken into partnership, and on his father's death continued the business alone, under the same firm name.
He is one of the most enterprising merchants in the city. He is a member of the Elks' Commandery, Knights of Columbus, Knights of the Golden Eagles, and Catholic Men's Beneveolent Association.
In politics he is a Democrat, and he is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church.
He married, Sept. 16, 1892, Alice, born 1873, daughter of Ephraim and Mary (Roselle) Norman, of Ogdensburg.
1. Helen, born Jan. 7, 1894, a singer of considerable note, who is completing her vocal education at Coburg, Germany.
2. James Conroy, born Aug. 16, 1895.
Although the paternal branch of the family herein described has been in this country less than a century, it has been most conspicuous for its patriotism in fighting the battles of its adopted home. The careers of various individuals indicate that it came of excellent blood and demonstrate the worth of our adopted citizens.
(I) John Murphy, of Irish and Scottish descent, emigrated from the north of Ireland about 1825, and settled in Beekmantown, Clinton county, N.Y. There he married, in 1834, Betsy Edgerton, who was of English and Welsh origin. About this time he settled in Stockholm, St. Lawrence county, and engaged successfully in farming. He died in 1855, about forty years of age.
His widow married (second) and died in 1895, in Hesperia, Michigan.
Mr. Murphy's son were among the most active in military affairs.
The eldest, William, was killed at Culps Hill, during the battle of Gettysburg, as a soldier of the Union army, a member of the 60th New York Volunteers.
James, the second, who saw considerable service in the civil war, later engaged successfully in ranching in the west, and a few years ago became a captain in the British army.
Thomas Newton, soldier of the civil war, is mentioned below.
John, the fourth son, was a member of the crew under Richmond P. Hobson, which sank the Merrimack in the entrance of Santiago harbor during the Spanish war.
The three daughers are all married and have reared large families.
(II) Thomas Newton, third son of John and Betsy (Edgerton) Murphy, was born Jan. 20, 1845, in Stockholm, N.Y., and enjoyed fair educational advantages. He was a student at Lawrenceville Academy and St. Lawrence Academy at Potsdam, N.Y. At the age of sixteen years he enlisted as a soldier in the Union army, becoming a member of Compan I, 60th New York Volunteer Infantry. With this organization he took part in all the important engagements of the Army of the Potomac, and participated in Sherman's March to the Sea. He was five times wounded in action, and lost his left arm in the battle of Pine Knob.
After the war closed he again took up the pusuit of an education and was a student at Fort Edward Collegiate Institute and the Albany Law School. He was admitted to the bar in 1870, and entered upon the practice of his profession at Plattsburgh, N.Y., whence he removed to Norwood about 1873. He is still (1910) engaged in practice there, and at the same time gives attention to the cultivation of his farm, which lies within the village limits.
He is a member of the Methodist church and the Grand Army of the Republic, and is an active supporter of the Republican party. He has served as justice of the peace, village president, and in various other public capacities, and is esteemed as a public spirited citizen.
He married, at Plattsburgh, Clinton county, in 1873, Adele La Lancet, of French blood. The final letter has been dropped from this name in American usage, and the prefix has also been abandoned, but it is now known as Lance. In the original French it was Juste La Breton dit La Lancet. It came from France to Canada with the French army under Montcalm, being borne by a surgeon in that service. With him came seven sons. One of these, Abraham, married Adeline Mercier, in 1816, at Les Abulment, about forty miles below Quebec, Canada.
He received quite an unusually good education for his day, and was a good mathematician and master of language. When a very young man he taught school in Canada, but subsequently removed to the United States, living a short time at Whitehall, N.Y. He subsequently removed to Clintonville, N.Y., and engaged in the construction of saw mills.
He married, at Keesville, N.Y., Adeline La Plante, daughter of Mitchell and Marie (De Champlain) La Plante. She was born in La Cadie, Canada, and was left an orphan when a mere child. Until she was twelve years old she resided with an uncle in Canada, and then came to the U.S. and located at Keeseville, where she married before she was sixteen years old. Adele, next to the youngest daughter of this marriage, became the wife of Thomas N. Murphy, as above noted.
Charles F., mentioned below.
Henry, a printer and newspaper proprietor at Norfolk, N.Y.
Jessie, resides at Bellingham, state of Washington.
Daisy, wife of Harry Ford Wilson, resides at Massena, N.Y.
Gertrude, a teacher, employed at Towner's, Putnam county, N.Y.
Thomas Newton (2), a printer, and resides in Seattle, Washington.
Mabel, at home with her parents.
(III) Charles Frederick, eldest child of Thomas Newton and Adele (Lance) Murphy, was born April 13, 1875, at Norwood, and in early years was a student of the Union School in that village. He subsequently entered the Potsdam Normal School, from which he graduated in January, 1896, winning the Clarkson prize for the best thesis on "Heredity and Environment." He was subsequently a student at Union College.
On leaving college he taught two years in the Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute, and was afterward in charge of the scientific department of the Brooklyn Latin School until 1903. In the meantime he pursued the study of law in the New York Law School, from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1903. Early in that year Mr. Murphy had been admitted to the bar. He at once began practicing in New York City, and has achieved a remarkable success from the beginning. In 1904 he was elected a member of the state legislature from the Tenth Assembly District, Kings county, and continued to serve in this capacity for a period of five years. During three years of Mr. Murphy's service in the legislature he was chairman of the committee on codes. He resigned this position July 1, 1909, in order to give his entire attention to his rapidly growing practice, and to accept an appointment as transfer tax appraiser for the county of Kings. He is counsel for the E. E. Smith Contracting Company, subway contractors, and other corporations, and has charge of several estates.
He is the owner of a small farm at Brewster, Putnam county, where he maintains a summer house. Mr. Murphy resides in Brooklyn, and is actively identified with many fraternal and civic organizations, including Phi Gamma Delta and Delta Chi, college fraternities; Mystic Tie Lodge No. 272, F. and A.M.; Brooklyn Chapter, R. A. M.' Damascus Commandery, K.T. In the Masonic fraternity he has attained the thirty-second degree. He is a member of Long Island Council, Royal Arcanum, and Lafayette Camp, Sons of Veterans. He has been president of the Tenth Assembly District Republicans Club for the past five years, and is now (1910) executive member of the Tenth Assembly District of Kings county and a member of the Republican general committee. He is a member of Artistic Lodge, I.O.O.F., the Red Men, and of the Hepthasophs. He is a member of the Union League, the Montauk, the University and Monroe clubs of Brooklyn, the Machinery and Phi Gamma Delta clubs of New York, and St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal church of Brooklyn.
He married, Jan. 9, 1909, Jeanette Grey Hutchinson, a native of New York City, daughter of William Henry and Ann Kate (Griffin) Hutchinson.
Have these webpages helped you?
Please let us know in the Guestook.
|[ Read / Sign my guestbook ]|
|Get a free Guestbook|
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids