Jurgh (George), Johan, Jost, Madalina and Catharine Erghemar (Herkimer) each recieved a hundred acres as patenttes of the Burnetsfield grant on the south side of the Mohawk river. But little is known of this Jurgh Herkimer, but he may have been father of Johan Jost; possibly a brother. This family we are told exhibited evidence of thrift and wealth far ahead of any of the other Palatine settlers and the possession of many broad acres purchased after Governor Burnet's grants, which professed to set apart a hundred acres for each man, woman and child. Madalina and Catharina may have been wives or sisters of the men. The name has been variously spelled: Herchkeimer, Hareniger, Harkemeis, Herchamer, Harchamer, Harkeman and Herkermer. In 1775 the family was numerous at German Flats.
(I) Johan Jost Herkimer was without much doubt the son of Jurgh, for he inherited his lands. All of the family seem to descend from John, and he was probably the only son who came to this country with his parents. Johann drew lot No. 36. He was also a patentee of the Fall Hill tract granted in 1752 to Johan Jost Herchkeimer and Hendrick Herchkeimer. Johan Jost was often called Hanyost for short.
1. Nicholas, mentioned below.
2. Henry, left five sons, Joseph, Nicholas, Abraham, George and Henry.
3. Johan Jost.
4. George, had son John and Joseph.
6. Elizabeth Barbara, married Peter D. Schuyler.
7. Lana, married three times; Warner Dygert, Nicholas Snell and John Roorback.
8. Delia, married Colonel Peter Bellinger (see Bellinger I).
9. Catherine, married George Herny Bell.
10. Gertruyd, married Rudolph Shoemaker.
11. Anna, married Peter Ten Broeck.
12. Anna Maria, married Rev. Abraham Rosecrants.
13. Elizabeth, married Hendrick Frey.
(II) General Nicholas Herkimer, son of Johan Jost Herkimer, was born about 1725, died in August, 1775. He was commissioned a lieutenant in Captain William Wormwood's company in the Schenectady battalion of militia, Jan. 5, 1758, by Lieutenant-Governor James De Lancey. He was commissioned a brigadier-general of the militia of Tryon county, enlisted for the defence of the colony Sept. 5, 1776. He was colonel of a regiment in 1775. At the beginning of the revolution he lived in the Canajoharie district of the county and represented it in the county committee of safety. His younger brother, George, was a member from the German Flats and Kinsland district. General Herkimer was also a member from his district and chairman in 1776. He was chairman pro tem of the Tryon county committee of safely in July and August, 1775, and several of his letters are preserved in the journals and proceedings of the New York provincial convention of that year.
Although twice married, he left no children at his death, and his family papers have been scattered, lost or destroyed, so that at this day we are left much in the dark as to his early history. In 1760 he resided in the Canajoharie district, and in May of that year his father deeded to him five hundred acres of land, portions of Lindesay and Livingston's and Fall Hill patents, including a small island in the Mohawk river of about two acres. He was a farmer. He was active in the revolution. When Burgoyne approached he issued a proclamation calling upon all able-bodied men to come to the defence of the country. The ill-fated battle of Oriskany in which he commanded the Americans followed. He was wounded and conveyed to what is now the town of Danube, a few miles east of Little Falls, where he lived, and his lef was amputated at the knee, but the operation, being performed improperly, resulted in his death from hemorrhage. In October following his death the continental congress passed a resolution appropriating five hundred dollars for the erection of a monument to his memory, and in communicating the resolution to the governor of the state, congress said; "Every mark of distinction shown to the memory of such illustrious men as offer up their lives for the liberty and happiness of this country, reflects real honor on those who pay the grateful tribute; and by holding up to others the prospect of fame and immortality, will animate them to tread in the same path." For some unexplained reason the monument was not erected for many years, but in 1907 was completed, and is a splendid tribute from his government and people. Perhaps the urgent need of funds for fighting the nation's battles explains the early neglect. The county in which he lived was subsequently named Herkimer in his honor. His will is dated Feb. 7, 1777, but not proved until Oct. 4, 1783.
He married (first) a sister of Peter S. Tygert; (second) Maria, sister of his first wife.
His widow married and removed to Canada.