NORTHERN NEW YORK
Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people
in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation.
New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co. 1910.
Transcribed by Coralynn Brown
Jeremiah Hayes was born in Ireland and died at Stockholm, N.Y. He came to this country about 1844 and settled in Norwood, N.Y., in the town of Potsdam. Afterward he removed to Stockholm, where he lived the remainder of his days. He was a man of excellent character, and well regarded by the community.
(II) John, son of Jeremiah Hayes, was born about 1824 in Ireland, died in March, 1904, at Colton. He came to America with his father when he was about twenty years old. He received his early education in his native place. He worked at farming all his active life, and in his younger days made hay on the present site of the village of Norwood. He owned a farm in the town of Pierrepont, St. Lawrence county, N.Y., and later in Colton, N.Y.
He married (first) Mary O'Brien; (second) Ellen O'Brien, born in 1836, at Swanton, Vermont, and now living at Colton.
Children of first wife:
1. James, living at Hannawa Falls, N.Y.
2. Mary, living in Madrid.
Children of second wife:
3. Daniel J., mentioned below.
4. Dennis, deceased.
5. Julia, deceased.
6. Katherine, a nun, teaching in the Catholic School at Braher Falls, N.Y.
7. John, lives at Newcomb.
8. Josephine, lives at Newcomb.
9. Fred, in business in Childwold, New York.
10. Fannie, lives with her mother.
(III) Daniel Joseph, son of John Hayes, was born at Stockholm, N.Y. April 23, 1855. He went with his parents to live in Pierrepont, when he was seven years old, and attended the public schools there and at Hannawa Falls, N.Y. He worked at home on his father's farm until he was twenty-three years old. Then he bought a half interest in a farm at Canton, and conducted it for four years. He sold out and bought a cheese factory near his father's farm and conducted it for seven years. He was successful in this business and took first prizes for his product at various county fairs and exhibitions. In 1890 he sold his business and went west for a time. In 1892 he bought a livery stable at Tupper Lake, and since then has had a flourishing business there. In the summer months he has stables at Hiawatha and Wawbeek. He handles all the freight between Tupper Lake and Tupper Lake Junction, and his busses meet every train. He also conducts a farm at Tupper Lake.
He is a director of the Tupper Lake National Bank. In politics he is a Republican and he has been highway commissioner and president of the incorporated village of Tupper Lake. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus.
He married, in March, 1886, Mary Elizabeth Boyle, born at Pierrepont, N.Y., daughter of Patrick and Margaret Boyle, both natives of Ieland.
1. Mark Timothy, born at Pierrepont, March 23, 1887; graduate of Washington and Jefferson College, Pennsylvania, in 1909; now with the Tyler Tube & Pine Company as chemist, Washington, Pennsylvania.
2. Julia Grace, born at Pierrepont, June 7, 1888, teacher in the Tupper Lake high school; graduate of the New York State Normal College in the class of 1909.
3. Dennis, born at Pierrepont, July 30, 1891.
4. John, born at Tupper Lake, March 8, 1893.
5. Daniel, born at Tupper Lake, May 14, 1896.
6. James (twin), born at Tupper Lake, July 10, 1897, died aged a year and a half.
7. Fred (twin), killed by the kick of a horse when he was six years old.
8. Margaret, born at Tupper Lake, May 15, 1899.
9. Lawrence, born at Tupper Lake, Jan. 11, 1901.
10. Frances Hilda, born at Tupper Lake, May 30, 1902.
11. Mary E., born at Tupper Lake, Aug. 29. 1907.
12. Robert Emmet, born at Tupper Lake, Nov. 23, 1908.
The surname of this family was originally Haas, a not uncommon German name. It has been Americanized since coming to America to the English form of Hayes.
(I) Andrew Hayes was born in Germany, where all his children were born. Late in life, after the death of his wife, he followed his children, all of whom except his daughter Christine came to America. The son Andrew came first about 1834, and Mathew two years later; both settled in West Turin, near Constableville, N.Y., while the others scattered to various states.
Children of Andrew:
Christine, Andrew, mentioned below; Catharine, Mathew, mentioned below; Gottlieb and George.
(II) Andrew (2), son of Andrew (1) Hayes, was born in Germany, May 9, 1812; married Oct. 23, 1837, Magdalina Haller, born in Alsace, July 14, 1817, died Jan. 31, 1888. He died at Constableville, N.Y. June 21, 1902.
Magdalina, born Nov. 4, 1838.
Andrew, Feb. 27, 1841.
Elizabeth, July 27, 1843.
Frederick, July 30, 1844.
Catharine, Feb. 6, 1846.
Gottlieb, Feb. 3, 1848.
Henry, Nov. 27, 1849.
William, Sept. 22, 1851.
Albert, July 4, 1853, mentioned below.
Samuel, Jan. 4, 1856.
Amelia, Nov. 4, 1857.
(III) Albert, son of Andrew (2) Hayes, was born July 4, 1853, and educated in the public schools of Constableville. He has been employed by the Stream Mill Company since leaving school.
He married, Feb. 7, 1882, at Constableville, Amelia, born Aug. 16, 1856, daughter of Michael and Margaret ____ Heldt.
1. Ella M., born May 5, 1883; died May 5, 1902; married E.W. Findhaut; one daughter, Area, born May 5, 1883.
2. Franklin, born Sept. 25, 1885, died Sept. 25, 1885.
3. Arthur A., born Sept. 16, 1886; died Sept. 8, 1887.
4. Nelson G., born Nov. 24, 1887.
5. Bertha A., April 5, 1890.
6. Alfred W., Dec. 19, 1892.
7. Lulu R., June 8, 1894.
(II) Mathew, son of Andrew (1) Hayes, was born in Germany. He came to this country about 1836, and settled in West Turin, near Constableville, N.Y.
He married Catharine Haller.
1. Elizabeth, married Jacob Rauscher; children: Ida Rauscher, married David Berger, and lives in West Leyden; Minnie Rauscher, married ____ Fenn, of Rome, N.Y.
2. Minnie, married Jacob Myres; children: Nettie, Myon, Lillian, Albert, Jennie, Eugene, and one other.
3. Henry M., born April 5, 1852, drowned March 24, 1893; married Harriet E. Roberts.
4. William F., mentioned below.
5. Addie, died March 30 , 1909.
6. Charles R., born Dec. 9, 1879, married Carrie Milller; sons, Harry and Earl.
(III) William Frederick, son of Mathew Hayes, was born at West Turin, N.Y., March 10. 1854. He attended the public schools of his native town and the Lowville Academy. He taught school for fourteen terms during the winter months, and worked during the summer in the manufacture of cheese. He then entered into partnership with his brother, Henry M. Hayes, and built two cheese factories known as the Crofoot Road factory and the Fish Creek factory. After operating them several years the firm sold out.
In 1890 Mr. Hayes, his brother, Henry M. Hayes, and Mr. Mathew L. McMoran, bought a third interest in the Stream Mill Company of Constableville, a large and flourishing concern. After the death of the partners Mr. Hayes bought the interests of his brother and now owns a half interest and is general manager of the company. The company manufactures sash and all kinds of lumber, and deals in flour, feed and grain of all kinds. The business was established in 1868.
Mr. Hayes is a Republican, and has served the town as justice of the peace and member of the town board for a number of years. He is a member of the German Lutheran church, of Mohwak Hill, N.Y.
He married, March 10, 1881, at Boonville, Emma C. Auken, born at West Leyden, Aug. 18, 1859, daughter of Michael and Eliza (Hushau) Auken.
1. Maud May, born July 13, 1884; educated at Constableville Union School, and the Utica Conservatory of Music; taught music until she married; resides at Fulton, N.Y.; married Oct. 16, 1907, Dr. H. W. Schlappi.
Have these webpages helped you?
Please let us know in the Guestook.
|[ Read / Sign my guestbook ]|
|Get a free Guestbook|
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids