NORTHERN NEW YORK
Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people
in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation.
New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co. 1910.
Transcribed by Coralynn Brown
Johannes Haberer, the early ancestor of the Haberer family, lived in Durkheim, Bavaria, and died there in 1791. He married Maria Caroline Selig.
(II) Josef, son of Johannes and Maria Caroline (Selig) Haberer, was born in Durkheim, April 2, 1787, and died in Wattenheim in 1835. He was a carpenter by trade. He married (first) Nov. 28, 1806, Katharina Wacher.
Anna Katharina, born in 1807.
Matthias, Aug. 18, 1808.
Adam, Jan. 17, 1811.
Daniel Jacob, April 6, 1816, came to America in 1841, settled in Utica and spent his life there.
Johann, Nov. 18, 1818, came to America in 1841, and settled in Syracuse, where he spent the remainder of his life.
Henry, Nov. 6, 1820, also came to America in 1841.
Josef Haberer married (second) 1823, Eva Geiger.
Katharina, born in 1825.
(III) Henry, son of Josef and Katharina (Wacher) Haberer, was born in Durkheim, Bavaria, and came to the United States at the age of twenty years. He located at first in Utica, N.Y. In early life he had learned the trade of cabinetmaking and carving, and when he removed to Carthage, N.Y. he was at first in the employ of a Mr. Gallagher. Later he had a furniture store and undertaking establishment of his own. Like many others of our adopted sons, he took up arms and imperiled his life for the preservation of his country.
He enlisted Sept. 30, 1861, in Company B, Thirty-fifth Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry. His regiment was a part of the Army of the Potomac, and with this hard fighting army he participated in the battles of Bull Run, Antietam, Fredericksburg, and others, famous in the annals of the civil war. He faithfully served his three-year term of enlistment, and was honorably discharged from service in 1864. Aug. 22, of the same year, he re-enlisted, this time as corporal in Company H, One Hundred and Eighty-sixth Regiment, New York Volunteer Infanty, Captain J. M. Reynolds. He was with his regiment at the battle of Fort Mahan, in front of Petersburg, Virginia, and in the succeeding hard-fought engagement culminating in the fall of that stronghold.
At the conclusion of the war, Mr. Haberer resumed his former vocation, removing to Lowville, in 1876, and engaged in the same line of work until his death, Oct. 28, 1887. He was a modest, unassuming man, of noble principle, strict integrity, untiring industry and great energy. He bequeathed to his descendants an honored name and an unsullied reputation, which succeeding generations have worthily maintained.
In politics he was a Democrat. He was a charter member and active comrade of Guilford Bailey Post, No. 200, Grand Army of the Republic, of Lowville.
He was married in St. Joseph's Church, Utica, N.Y. April 15, 1845, to Julianna Keiser, the cememony being performed by the Rev. Florian Schweininger.
Mrs. Haberer was the daughter of George Keiser and was born in Alsace, France, in 1825. Mr. Keiser came to the United States in 1838, with his wife, eight daughters and four sons, and settled in Utica, N.Y. Mrs. Haberer died Dec. 27, 1893, at the age of sixty-eight years.
Henry Andrew, born April, 1846, died Aug. 20, 1871.
Pauline Eliza, married George Johann Haberer of Syracuse, N.Y.
Edward, see forward.
George Joseph, born Aug. 20, 1853, died Feb. 6, 1907.
Anselm Bernard, born Feb. 18, 1857.
Mary Julianna, married James Templeton Robinson of New York City.
(IV) John Edward, third child and second son of Henry and Julianna (Keiser) Haberer, was born in Utica, N.Y. Nov. 21, 1851, and died Oct. 23, 1908. He was educated in the public schools of Carthage, N.Y., and at an early age learned the trade of cabinetmaking, an ancestral vocation.
In 1870 he located in Lowville and engaged as a journeyman to John Conover in the manufacture of furniture. He remained with him until 1876, with the exception of one year spent in Watertown, N.Y. In that year, in association with his brother George J., he purchased the plant and stock of his employer, Mr. Conover, then situated on Valley street, Lowville, and giving employment to five or six men. The new firm prosecuted the business with vigor, and in 1880 were compelled by the requirements of their growing trade to seek larger quarters. They purchased a site on Trinity avenue on that line of the Utica & Black River Railroad, and erected the commodious buildings now (1910) used by them for the manufacturing of furniture. The plant is modern in all its details, covers several acres, and furnishes employment to from seventy-five to one hundred men.
In 1891 the firm of Haberer Brothers was dissolved by mutual consent, the younger brother, George J., taking the retail and undertalking business, and John Edward continuing in the manufacture of furniture. The last-named purchased a large tract of timber land upon which he built sawmills, also using portable mills, manufacturing nearly all the lumber used in his factory. He had constantly on hand several millions of feet of seasoned lumber which, when manufactured into furniture, was shipped to all parts of the country. His establishment, from a modest beginning, has in less than a third of a century grown to be one of the largest of its kind in northern New York.
Besides personally conducting his manufacturing business and superintending it in every detail, Mr. Haberer was interested in various other fields of activity. He was a stockholder and vice-president of the Gould Paper Company, with paper mills at Lyons Falls, Fowlerville and Port Leyden, N.Y. Beginning with a limited capital, by his own energy, industry and superior business qualifications, he accumulated a large fortune.
He was actively interested in town affairs and served for two years as president of Lowville village, and for three years as trustee. He was a consistent member of the Roman Catholic church, and a very liberal contributor to its support and to the various benevolences connected with it. He was a charter member and first grand knight of the local lodge of Knights of Columbus.
Politically he was a Democrat.
Mr. Haberer married, April 15, 1885, Florence A., daughter of Henry C. Northam, of Lowville.
H. Northam, see forward.
Murial A., born Aug. 18, 1887, was educated in the public schools and the Lowville Academy, with a finishing course at the Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, N.Y.
Florence Louise, born April 9, 1895, died Nov. 8, 1895.
Theodore Edward, born March 9, 1898, died Dec. 5, 1898.
(V) H. Northam, eldest son of John Edward and Florence A. (Northam) Haberer, was born Jan. 18, 1886. He was educated in the public schools, Lowville Academy and the Syracuse Business College. In 1906 he was admitted to the business of his father, and so thoroughly mastered its details that on the death of the latter, in 1908, he assumed the entire mangement of his large business and estate, which he has since conducted with marked success.
(IV) George Joseph, third son of Henry (q.v.) and Julianna (Keiser) Haberer, was born in Carthage, Jefferson county, N.Y. Aug. 20, 1853, died in Lowville, N.Y. Feb. 16, 1907.
He was educated in the Carthage public schools and early in life was apprenticed to William Gallagher, who taught him the cabinetmaker's trade. He became an expert mechanic, particularly in making fine cabinets and furniture. After becoming proficient at his trade he remoed to Lowville, Lewis county, where he entered the furniture facory of John Conover, with whom he remained until 1876. This was a small concern, employing five or six men. In 1876, the brothers John E. and George J. formed themselves into the firm of Haberer Brothers, purchased the factory stock of Mr. Conover, and began in a small way the business that outgrew the small plant, spread to the large new factory and mills with which spended equipment of modern wood-working machinery, and large forces of workmen; laid low immense forests; converted the lumber into furniture that made the firm of Haberer Brothers known in every part of the country where furniture could be shipped. In 1891 the firm was dissolved by mutual agreement, and the business divided, George J. Haberer taking the retail furniture business, which included undertaking equipment, the elder brother John E. continuing the manufacturing and wholesale business. The retail store and warerooms were located on State street, Lowville, and transacted a volume of business unrivalled by any furniture house of northern New York.
Mr. Haberer inherited the sterling qualities of his father and possessed unusual business ability that made him leader in the business world. He was the architect of his own fortunes, and won his success fairly bu industry, energy and business acumen. He accumulated a compentency and lived to enjoy it.
He was interested in the prosperity of his town, and no man did more to advance the prosperity of his townsmen. He served as trustee of the village of Lowville and bore his share of local responsibility. He was a faithful member of the Catholic church, whose interests he was ever ready to advance. Politically he was a Democrat.
He married (first) Catherine Wantz, who born him three children, two dying in infancy; he married (second) Caroline Villers, who bore two children, one dying in infancy. He married (third) Nov. 27, 1906, Elizabeth t. Seubert, of Utica, N.Y., daughter of Andrew and Regina (Keiser) Seubert.
Child of first wife:
George Leroy, married May E. Toussant, and has Edward and Anna Haberer.
Child of second wife:
Bernard Villars Haberer, born Aug. 22, 1896.
Have these webpages helped you?
Please let us know in the Guestook.
|[ Read / Sign my guestbook ]|
|Get a free Guestbook|