Elmore F. Elmore, a native of Troy, New York, is an only grandson of the late Franklin Elmore, and great-grandson of Asa Elmore, a pioneer settler of Clinton county, New York, who with other members of the family came originally from Westminster, New Hampshire. The first marriage solemnized in the town of Peru was that of Asa Elmore's brother Lot in 1788 to Mary, daughter of William Hay, a Scotsman, who was the first actual settler of the locality. Lot Elmore's son William married Charlotte, daughter of Judge Levi Platt. The Elmores were of Scottish ancestry.
(I) Asa Elmore, although he died at the age of fifty, had become one of the leading men of the county, having embarked in nearly every enterprise a new community engendered, land, lumber, general merchandise, banking, etc. His business ability was only exceeded by his fine taste, as evinced by the intrinsic beauty of the heirlooms now possessed by his posterity. He built for himself a home in Peru (now owned but not occupied by his descendants) , considered one of the best examples of Colonial architecture in the county, and which at once became the centre of a dignified but cordial hospitality.
Asa Elmore married Maria Hall, of Claremont, New Hampshire. He left six children:
Selucia, married Priscilla Gould, niece of Mrs. Henry R. Noble, of Essex.
Washington, who graduated from Middlebury College in its most flourishing days.
Maria, who was one of the first pupils of Madam Emma Willard in 1823, as were also her cousins, daughters of Lot Elmore.
another daughter who married H. H. Everest.
All of these children were educated in the best schools of the period.
(II) Franklin, son of Asa and Maria (Hall) Elmore, inherited his father's characteristics, managing with conspicuous success from the age of eighteen when he became executor of the estate, the varied and important interests devolving upon him, and adding others, numerous and important, of his own. A man whose extensive legal knowledge and sound logic was widely sought and employed, and who commanded the respect and admiration of the principal attorneys who became his friends; his financial ability and unquestioned integrity made him also the banker of the town; one whose interest in and familiarity with public matters would have drawn him prominently into the larger political arena, had not his delicate constitution compelled him to decline to enter it, and to only accept those positions of trust in local matters which did not require the strenuous acitivity and absences incident to the wider political horizon; withal a man of fine literary taste, wide information and courteous personality. An Episcopalian in his tenets, as was his father before him, there being no church of his own sect there, he became a trustee and large supporter of the Congregational church of which his wife was an interested member. He was a Republican in politics from 1861.
Franklin Elmore married Harriet Woodbury Eaton, of the well-known Woodbury family, whose most conscpicuous memeber was Levi Woodbury, justice of the United States supreme court, as well as secretary of the treasury, whose daughter married Montgomery Blair, of Washington, D.C.
Harriet Woodbury Elmore died in Sept. 1904, leaving a name venerated by those of every degree and remembered for her philanthrophy, literary taste and broad culture.
Franklin and Harriet Woodbury (Eaton) Elmore were the parents of two children, Adalaide A. and Agnes Eaton, who were edicated in the Emma Willard school of Troy, N.Y., and at the school of Catherine Dwight Lyman at Cambridge, Mass.
Adelaide A. married Robert B. Eaton, of Boston, Mass., and died March 27, 1872, leaving no children. She was one of the few founders with Dr. Cullis of the now flourishing "Consumptives Home of Boston."
Agnes married (first) Bradford Culver Vaughan, once a prominent manufacturer of Troy, N.Y., and a lineal descendant of the family of Vaughan (now represented by the Earl of Lisbourne), possessed of the Manor of Trawscoed since A. D. 1200, and traced to Colwyn ap Tango, founder of the fifth noble tribe of North Wales, Lord of Eifionydd. Two sons were born to them, one only, Elmore F. Elmore, surviving infancy, who legally assumed with his father's consent, his grandfather's name to perpetuate the same, Franklin Elmore having had no male issue. Mrs. Vaughan died in 1890.
Agnes Eaton married (second), Dr. Edgar Wadsorth Morehouse, who graduated from the Albany Medical College and subsequently studied abroad, including a year in London; a physician skillful and highly esteemed in Clinton county, N.Y.; a member of the State Medical Association and the Rensselaer and Clinton County societies. He dide in 1902.
(III) Elmore F. Elmore was born in Troy, New York. He was educated at St. Paul's School, Troy, and afterward with a private tutor in London. He graduated from Yale a Phi Beta Kappa man. Subsequently he graduated from the Columbia Law School and was admitted to the bar. For several years he was associated with the well-known firm of Van Santwood & Wellington, of Troy. In 1907 he became a member of a prominent law firm in Plattsburgh, N.Y., of which he is the survivor. He is a Republican in politics, an Episcopalian in church tenets, and a member of the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity, of the Troy Club and the Yale Club of New York City.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids