NORTHERN NEW YORK
Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people
in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation.
New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co. 1910.
Transcribed by Coralynn Brown
The Domser family of this article is of German origin and has attained its second generation in America.
(I) John Domser, born in the Province of Alsace, Germany, Sept. 8, 1831, emigrated to the United States, settling in the town of Lewis, Lewis county, New YOrk, and his death occurred Sept. 29, 1883.
He married in 1855, Sophia Krayer, a native of Prussia.
1. Philip J., born Dec. 2, 1863.
2. John J., see forward.
3. Mary, born Dec. 2, 1868; married John Lenck.
4. Elizabeth, born in 1870, died in June, 1896.
(II) John J., second child of John and Sophia (Krayer) Domser, was born in Lewis, Sept. 11, 1866. He attended the public schools of his native town. After the death of his father, 1883, he assisted in the working and management of his father's farm until in the spring of 1889 he went to Redwood, Jefferson county, N.Y., and made cheese there for six months, and the following year began manufacturing cheese in Lewis county, an occupation which he followed exclusively until 1898. In 1899 he became actively interested in the telephone service, inaugurating his entrance into that business by organizing the Constableville and West Leyden Telephone Company (incorporated), with a capital stock of two thousand five hundred dollars, and constructing a line in the town of Lewis for the convenience of farmers and cheese manufacturers. Later in the same year he was instrumental in organizing the Black River Telephone Company, capitalized at twenty-five thousand dollars, with F. C. Myers, president; S. C. Capron, secretary; Benedict Gautner, treasurer; John J. Domser, manager, and F. A. Harrington, David Swancotte, F. C. Myers, S. C. Capron and Philip Domser as directors. With the establishment of this company lines were extended to Constableville, Boonville and Rome; and in 1900 the work of extension was continued from Boonville to Port Leyden, Lyons Falls and Lowville. In the latter part of that year the Lowville exchange was established, and by November, 1901, twenty-eight telephones had been installed in that section. Lines were also extended to Castorland to connect with Croghan, Copenhagen and Carthage. During this era of prosperity Theodore B. Basselin became interested in the enterprise and acted as its president from 1901 to 1905. Continuing the march of improvement, lines were extended into Oneida, Herkimer, Jefferson and Oswego counties, thus securing connection with the cities of Rome, Utica, Watertown, Syracuse and Oswego. The company now (1910) operates sixteen exchanges and has about three thousand two hundred telephones in use. It has five thousand seven hundred and fifty miles of No. 12 iron wire and five hundred and twenty miles of No. 10 copper wire in use, which is carried on twenty-five thousand three hundred and seventy-five poles. Most of which are cedar. It employs thirty-eight lady operators and about twenty-one men. The list of officers of the present organization is as follows: President and treasurer, Charles W. Pratt, of Boonville; vice-president, Dr. W. A. Kelley, of Lowville; secretary, George S. Reed, of Lowville; manager, John J. Domser, of Lowville; and in addition to the above, W. F. Hayes, of Constableville; William F. Karlen and H. B. Belknap, of Boonville; F. P. Lansing, of Copenhagen; P. F. Thompson, of Henderson; O. D. Perry, of Adams, and M. J. Salsburg, of Lacona, are directors. As will be seen by the above, Mr. Domser has, for the past eleven years, been exclusively engaged in promoting, improving and developing the telepone service of the state. His strenuous efforts to provide the public with the most efficient service obtainable are heartily appreciated, and it is safe to assume that the same progressive policy which has thus far characterized the company's management, will continue to be maintained.
In politics Mr. Domser is a Democrat.
In his religious faith he is a Roman Catholic, being a member of St. Peter's Church, Lowville, and his society affiliations are confined to the C. J. McMorrow Council, Knights of Columbus, in that village.
Have these webpages helped you?
Please let us know in the Guestook.
|[ Read / Sign my guestbook ]|
|Get a free Guestbook|
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids