NORTHERN NEW YORK
Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people and the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation.
New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co. 1910.
Transcribed by Coralynn Brown
The surname Doig is of ancient Scottish origin. Soon after 1800 there came to this country from Perthshire, Scotland, Andrew, James, Walter and Paul Doig. Various countries of Europe have contributed many of their best sons to assist in the development and building up of the free government of the United States, and no country has sent to our shores more sturdy, more hardy, more industrious or honest men than Scotland. The pioneers from that country and their descendants have been among the leaders in business circles of every community in which they are located.
(I) Andrew Doig was born in Perthshire, Scotland, and came soon after 1800 to this country with three brothers. He settled in Lowville, Lewis county, New York. At first the brothers located in Jackson, Washington county. He died in Lowville in 1855.
He married Polly Thompson.
Andrew, James, John, mentioned below.
(II) John, son of Andrew Doig, was born in Lowville, May 15, 1810. He attended the public schools and Lowville Academy. He followed the drug business with marked success throughout his active life. He enjoyed a large and flourishing trade and acquired a competence. He became the owner of a large tract of land in what is now the most valuable part of the village. He was an upright, high-minded citizen, and enjoyed the fullest confidence and esteem of his townsmen.
In politics he was a Democrat, and though he never sought public office he accepted from time to time positions of trust and honor in the town and village. He was trustee, treasurer and president of the village at various times. He was a man of great public spirit and possessed a great influence among his fellow citizens. He was a trustee of Lowville Academy, and for many years treasurer of the board. He was a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity and one of the first masters of Lowville Lodge, No. 134, Free and Accepted Masons.
He married, May 1, 1848, Maria, born at Lowville, Nov. 24, 1824, daughter of Ziba and Lucy P. (Levenworth) Knox, granddaughter of Samuel Levenworth, who died in the service on the frontier during the war of 1812. Her father, Ziba Knox, was born at Cavendish, Windsor county, Vermont, Sept. 22, 1797, eldest son of Sylvanus Knox, of the same family as General Henry Knox of revolutionary fame. Until 1815 the almost unaided efforts of Ziba Knox were directred to the acquisition of a thorough English education in his native state; in 1812 he was fortunate in obtaining limited instruction in Latin from Rev. Jonathan Going, formerly professor of languages in Brown University; he studied law in the offices of Hon. Charles Dayan, with whom he was afterward in partnership; was admitted to practice in 1826; was a magistrate from Jan. 1, 1835, until he died, a period of thirty-three years; in 1824 he was commissioned captain of the One Hundred and First New York Regiment, Twenty-sixth Brigade; in 1829 he was elected inspector of the common schools of Lowville; in 1841 he was elected school commissioner, and from 1844 to 1857, he was superintendent of schools of Lowville; was also trustee of Lowville Academy, and a Free and Accepted Mason.
Elizabeth Knox, born Nov. 27, 1824; married George W. Fowler.
Maria Knox, Feb. 1, 1827; married John Doig, mentioned above.
John J. Knox, June 13, 1831.
Mary Jane Knox, July 28, 1834; married William Doig.
Charles Knox, Sept. 24, 1836.
Julia E. Knox, March 31, 1839; married Joseph Fitzgerald.
James L. Knox, Aug. 26, 1845.
Children of John and Maria (Knox) Doig:
Frank C., born Aug. 19, 1851; mentioned below.
Charles K., Nov. 28, 1853.
(III) Frank Collins, son of John Doig, was born Aug. 19, 1851, at Lowville. He attended the public schools and Lowville Academy, in which he ever afterward took a keen interest and to which he gave loyal support. After leaving school he went to Utica, where he worked as clerk in the drug store of Butler & Hamilton and learned the business thoroughly. In 1874 he purchased the interests of F. P. Kirby in the firm of Kirby & Pelton, druggists, at Lowville. This business was established by his father, John Doig. After a short time the firm became F. C. & C. K. Doing, the sons proving themselves worthy successors of their father in business. The store became the largest and most prosperous in this line in Lowville, and Mr. Doig took rank among the foremost business men of this section.
In addition to his extensive drug business, Mr. Doig found time to engage in other enterprises of moment. He took an active part in the organization of the Asbestos Buriel Casket Company, and was chairman of the executive committee and general business manager of that company. He was a charter member and first president of the Lowville Club from 1894 to 1899 inclusive, and did effective work in securing the funds for the building of the beautiful club house. He was an active member of the Masonic fraternity and passed through the chairs of the Lowville Lodge, No. 134, becoming worshipful master in 1876, and treasurer and 1879. From 1891 until the time of his death he was a trustee of the lodge. He was also high priest of Lowville Chapter, No. 223, Royal Arch Masons. He was a prominent member and liberal supporter of Trinity Church. He was one of the first board of water commissioners of the village, and one of the prime movers in securing the construction of the water works there.
As a trustee of Lowville Academy he was for many years a zealous worker for that institution and keenly interested in public education. In business, in social life, in public affairs, he was distinguised by earnestness, enthusiasm and constant usefullness. He was eminently charitable, giving quietly and freely to those whom he found in need, as well as to organizations for charity and benevolence. Perhaps no man in the town was ever mourned by a greater number of friends in all classes of society when he died April 2, 1909.
His kindly manner, his sympathy and democracy made him one of the most approachable of men and bound to him a legion of intimate friends. He never assumed the possession of superior virtue and was altogether unconscious, apparently, of the great good he wrought in the community. His death was a great loss to the municipality, for the welfare and development of which he worked so sincerely and determinedly. He loved his native town and missed no opportunity to contribute of his time and means to benefit the community.
Frank C. Doig married, Feb. 12, 1877, Kate, born at West Union, Fayette county, Iowa, daughter of Henry E. Jones.
Julia, born Oct. 22, 1881.
Maria, Jan. 6, 1885.
Have these webpages helped you?
Please let us know in the Guestook.
|[ Read / Sign my guestbook ]|
|Get a free Guestbook|
Jane's Site with over 2000 free databases!
These records (NNY) are part of her website.