The family of Campbell is on record in the Mohawk valley as early as 1754. According to the federal census of 1790 there were at least four families of the name in Canajoharie, Mohawk valley, at that at that time, as follows:
James, whose family consisted of four males over sixteen and seven females; John, three males over sixteen and four females; John, one male over sixteen, two under sixteen, and five females; Samuel, two males over sixteen, one under sixteen, and four females.
In 1754 David Campbell, a native of Ireland and of Scotch Irish ancestry, "was in Schenectady; acquired great wealth as a merchant, a portion of which he left to a nephew, Dr. Campbell, of London, who resided in this country several years." David was judge of the court of common pleas for Albany county in 1771; married Engeltie, daughter of Arent Samuelse Bratt; had a son David, baptized Nov. 15, 1768.
There were others of the name, early settlers. Kennet, a revolutionary soldier, was living in 1820, aged sevety-seven.
(I) Timothy Campbell, son of Ludwick Campbell, was a native of New Yorks state, and a land owner in Lewis county. Child: Daniel, mentioned below.
(II) Daniel, son of Timothy Campbell, was reared on his father's farm. After he became of age he learned the blacksmith's trade and followed it in connection with farming. When the Erie canal was being built he secured contracts for stone work at the locks and other places where there was stone construction.
Until 1867 he kept a store and hotel at Jacksonberg. In the latter year he removed to Lewis county, and later to Mohawk. After the death of his wife he returned to Lewis county, where he died at Lowville.
He married Eliza, daughter of James Rankin. She died in 1867. He died in 1891. Children: Julia, James T., mentioned below, Daniel, Henry.
(III) James T., son of Daniel Campbell, was born Jan. 30, 1840, in the town of Jacksonburg, Little Falls, Herkimer county, N.Y. He was educated at the Little Falls and Lowville academies. In early life he worked with his father in various enterprises and gained a general knowledge of contracting, which he has made his life work.
In 1867 he located in Lowville. He was at that time a young man, but of such knowledge and experience that he at once began to secure important contracts. His first undertaking was the erection of the State street bridge across Mill creek. This was satisfactorily completed and was the commencement of a long and successful career as a contractor of building and railroad construction. He erected in Lowville the engine house, the railroad house at the depot, the asylum building at the County Alms House, and the Baptist church on State street, the Smiley Block, and many others. All his work was well done and gained for him a reputation as a man of integrity and ability. It was not as a contractor and builder, however, that he was principally engaged.
His largest operations were in railroad construction, grading the road beds and erecting culverts and bridges. Of this last work he did a great deal, and at the time of his death had a large contract on hand, namely, the building of the Lowville and Beaver River railroad. Though he started with a limited capital he soon secured such a good standing among men of means that money in plenty was easily obtained to finance his operations, and in time he acquired a good property.
In politics he was a life-long Democrat, and in 1884 had the distinction of being elected supervisor of Lowville, being the only Democrat to hold that office for sixty years. He was also trustee of the town, and county superintendent of the poor. In 1891-95 he was superintendent of the Black River canal, and was also intimately connected with Lowville Water Company and the Lewis County Agricultural Society.
In church membership he was a Methodist, and faithful in all his church obligations. He was a member of the Free and Accepted Masons. He belonged to the Lowville Club.
He married, Sept. 9, 1868, Carrie E., daughter of Lewis and Elizabeth Ann (Putnam) Campbell, born Feb. 27, 1850. Her father, Lewis Campbell, was born in 1817, died June 1, 1885. He was a blacksmith and carriage maker by trade, and also owner of a farm. He married, 1849, Elizabeth Ann, daughter of Malachi, born Oct. 16, 1772, died April 18, 1849, and Sarah (Blount) Putnam, born Feb. 7, 1782. She was born in 1824, died Sept. 2, 1868. Her family settled in Lewis county in 1804 or 1806. Children: Charles, George, Carrie E., mentioned above.
James T. Campbell, died Jan. 6, 1905. His wife survived him and lives in Lowville. Child of James T. Campbell: Harry, born June 29, 1869.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids