NORTHERN NEW YORK
Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people
in the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation.
New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co. 1910.
Transcribed by Coralynn Brown
Alexander Anthony Bero, of French ancestry, was born in Cornwall, Ontario, Canada, about 1800, killed in a blasting accident in the prime of life. He married Mary, born 1805, died 1891, daughter of Alexander Lamping, of Barnhart's Island. She married (second) John Grow.
Children of Alexander A. & Mary (Lamping) Bero:
Alexander A., mentioned below.
[Children of John and Mary (Lamping) (Bero) Grow: John, Nelson, Edwin, Lewis, Charles, Eliza Ann and Sideny G. Grow).
(II) Alexander A., son of Alexander Anthony Bero, was born in Cornwall, Ontario in 1824, and is now (1910) living at Hogansburg, New York. He came, when a boy, with his mother and step-father to Hogansburg and was educated there in the public schools. He learned the carpenter's trade, worked at carpentering and ship-building when a young man, and became a carpenter and builder.
After his marriage he followed farming at Brasher for many years, retiring in 1897, and since then has made his home in Hogansburg.
In politics he is a Democrat. He was town assessor and road commissioner in Brasher.
In religion he is a Roman Catholic.
He married (first), Dec. 25, 1851, Sarah Goddell; (second) Sept. 14, 1856, Catherine, born 1828, died Oct. 6, 1881, daughter of John Daley; (third) April 11, 1882, Catherine Curtis, who died Dec. 12, 1906.
Children of first wife:
1. Simon Thomas, a business man of Hogansburg; married (first), ____ McGiven; (second) Cecelia Drouche; children: Grace Lillian, Viola, Herbert and Catheline.
2. Mary Esther, married Louis Derosia, of Massena; children: Maud and Frances Derosia.
Children of second wife:
3. John Robert, mentioned below.
4. Elizabeth, born Nov. 18, 1858; married Thomas E. Smith, deceased; children: Henry, William and Gertrude Smith.
5. Peter Albert, born April 8, 1860; engaged in the dry goods business at Massena; married Anne Murphy; children: Julia, Ruth and Veronica.
6. William Alexander, born April 28, 1862; merchant of Hogansburg; married Hannah Smith; children: Catherine and Jessie.
7. Margaret Anna, born Nov. 21, 1863; married John T. Kenneham, of Brasher Falls, a traveling salesman.
8. Catherine, born March 11, 1865; married John Kinan, a farmer of Brasher; children: Eva, Catherine and Bernard Kinan.
9. James Edward, born April 24, 1869; commission merchant at Winthrop, N.Y.; married Catherine Shannon; children: Margaret and Marion.
10. Sarah Jane, born Feb. 11, 1871; married Thomas J. Connelly, a farmer at Brasher; children: Rita, Margaret and Florence Connelly.
Child of third wife:
11. Eva, died aged twelve years.
(III) John Robert, son of Alexander A. Bero, was born at Brasher, Oct. 18, 1857. He was educated in the public schools of Brasher and Hogansburg and in various private schools. From 1880 to 1882 he worked in St. Louis, Missouri, as conductor on a street car. When his mother died he returned to Hogansburg and has lived there since, conducting a hotel there from 1884 to March, 1891, and since then has been engaged in the insurance business. He has a general fire, life and accident insurance agency and has been very successful.
He was elected justice of the peace, May 15, 1907. Much of his time has been devoted to the management of his father's property.
In politics he is a Democrat and he has served the town on the board of assessors. He is now a member of the local branch of the Knights of Columbus.
He married (first) Jan. 31, 1883, Julia A., daughter of J. Oliver Bero, of Massena; (second) May 6, 1901, Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Joseph and Esther (Murphy) Tyo, of Glengary county, Canada.
1. Charles Alexander, born Jan. 17, 1884; an engineer on the Boston & Maine railroad, living in Boston.
2. George Oliver, born April 8, 1885; clerk in the employ of the American Express Company in New York City.
3. Rose Florence, born Jan. 31, 1887, died Jan. 3, 1896.
4. Francis Wilbur, born May 12, 1889; lives at Brasher Falls.
5. Robert Augustine, born Sept. 6, 1891, died Nov. 29, 1894.
Child of second wife:
6. Leonard Joseph, born May 4, 1906.
Have these webpages helped you?
Please let us know in the Guestook.
|[ Read / Sign my guestbook ]|
|Get a free Guestbook|